• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
107925.jpg

I'm glad this atrocity ended.

Luckily for them, Australia's bowling was, again, too strong for England. Great to see Lee, the old Bracken and Watson back in the swing of things.

Yagharek

irfan said:
Bad move IMO. If anything he should have quit ODIs which is more stressful.

Bad move? T20 is fake cricket. Ponting has more interest in getting the Test #1 ranking back, and claiming the ODI world cup for the 4th time straight.

Pachael

RandomVince said:
Bad move? T20 is fake cricket. Ponting has more interest in getting the Test #1 ranking back, and claiming the ODI world cup for the 4th time straight.

By smacking England around again (it's 6-0 now), Australia are back on top of the ODI rankings - that said I don't think the English fans are too unhappy - they have the Ashes. ;p

artist

Banned
RandomVince said:
T20 is as fake as ODI, if you claim otherwise then you are the definition of hypocrite.

Test cricket is the reference, the pure form of cricket, no doubt. But even then today's test cricket is different that what the original was, this is another can of worms. So yeah, arguing one form of cricket as fake just shows your un-acceptance, un-willingness to change. I'm sure there were lots of old folks like you when the Packer series was on. :lol :lol
Pachael said:
By smacking England around again (it's 6-0 now), Australia are back on top of the ODI rankings - that said I don't think the English fans are too unhappy - they have the Ashes. ;p
I think you jumped the gun, they had to win the last one to get the top spot back, which didnt happen. Australia is still 3rd in the rankings, behind SA & India. :D

Grug

Pachael said:

Yup, I'd rather the Ashes any day. :(

Am going to get to every Ashes test when England come out here next. You have my word (and my bow and my axe).

Got friends in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth so accommodation is free. Adelaide the only concern (hi Tri-Willy! :p).

AAK

Yikes 263 in 42 overs...

Mammoth score. Let's hope Dhoni's dreadful form doesn't continue here. But as long as Tendulkar is in the crease, I believe they can possibly pull it off.

EDIT:

166 in 20 overs.

T20 style game now. Juvraj will be missed.

artist

Banned
chandoog said:
Pak beat India

F Yeah !
Aw, cute.
I'm hoping Pak wins it in the end

Australia in the finals, Ponting & Watson centuries combo. Australia have the definition of 'wood' over England right now. The good spots for them are the keeper and the guy who saved them face today with 80 odd down the order.

AAK

My GOD @ Ponting's consistency.

He can singlehandedly win any game. He is even better than 90's Tendulkar.

master15

Some random musings from Champions trophy;

-What the fuck happened is Ishant! As much as I hated that he ripped the guts out of Aussie's batting order 2 summers ago, I couldn't help but respect his talent. The way he's been consistently taken a hammering, lost his pace and deadly bounce. It's all very baffling...

-Lovely to see Lee steaming in and bowling pretty well overall. Not as much as swing or shape when he's at his absolute best but a big fuck you to those who said he should be given a golden watch. That's you Grug :)

-Pointing has looked in superb condition. Giving more cred to the idea international players especially at his level are being over worked, give him another break like this after this summer, if that means he comes back playing like he has.

-Afridi is like the deadliest spin bowler in ODI cricket at the moment. Guys improved a shitload.

-I would be shocked if Kiwi's pull one over Pakistan

-Danny boy is too much of a nice guy. He should have given Colly out, just as Paul was a dirty cheat last time.

Zapages

I believe the blame goes to the following individuals:

1) Umpires - giving Umar Akmal out and not giving just one lbw for Pakistan when they were close or were clearly out. Also giving no-balls when there were no balls at all.
2) Rana - Seriously take him out of the order, 2 no balls and so many easy hits and giving New Zealand an easy road over all... Should have bowled more dot balls like New Zealand was doing from the beginning.
3) Younis Khan - dropping the catch and a few others did cost us the game. Also the not asking for powerplay at the right time cost us big time as well.
4) Our complacent batting and look towards New Zealand in general led to this loss. If we had scored 20 more runs, we would have won it.

Regardless of this, we did a good job throughout the tournament. Hopefully we do better next time as we should not take any team as an easy win and go for full force for the win.

artist

Banned
Zapages said:
I believe the blame goes to the following individuals:

1) Umpires - giving Umar Akmal out and not giving just one lbw for Pakistan when they were close or were clearly out. Also giving no-balls when there were no balls at all.
2) Rana - Seriously take him out of the order, 2 no balls and so many easy hits and giving New Zealand an easy road over all... Should have bowled more dot balls like New Zealand was doing from the beginning.
3) Younis Khan - dropping the catch and a few others did cost us the game. Also the not asking for powerplay at the right time cost us big time as well.
4) Our complacent batting and look towards New Zealand in general led to this loss. If we had scored 20 more runs, we would have won it.

Regardless of this, we did a good job throughout the tournament. Hopefully we do better next time as we should not take any team as an easy win and go for full force for the win.
All I see is excuses excuses excuses .. stop blaming the umpires. If we're blaming the outcome of the match on just one decision then Raina in the Ind v Pak was also not out. If he didnt get out on that bad call, India would have won the game and made it over Pakistan to the semis. Coulda shoulda woulda!

Pakistan never really played any of the matches flawlessly. If they put up a good score, they didnt field well or bowl good. If they bowled well, they didnt put up a good score. In the semis, they did both and went out.

Considering Pakistan was at full strength, most expected them to take the title just like the T20 WC. However strength != execution and Pakistanis are left with scratching their heads. If they continue "okay" stuff like this, they will soon go down to the second tier with England, NZ & WI.

Congrats to the Aussies cricketers, especially Watson who I think was the player of the series. (265 runs & 6 wickets against 288 runs)

tri_willy

Red Scarlet said:
What was named first? The bug or the sport? Always was curious.

in order to satisfy your curiousity red scarlet, i did a bit of research. as far as i know, cricket started sometime in the 16th century in england (yes i did wiki search haha). bug cricket has supposedly been around for over 2000 years? i hope that answers your question

Yagharek

Looked like a good match. Great to see another Tassie boy do well (Paine). With him, Punter, Hilfenhaus and Watson (stfu queensland thieves :D) this is the best representation from the state since Boonie's flight to England in '89.

Red Scarlet

tri_willy said:
in order to satisfy your curiousity red scarlet, i did a bit of research. as far as i know, cricket started sometime in the 16th century in england (yes i did wiki search haha). bug cricket has supposedly been around for over 2000 years? i hope that answers your question

Yeah, but when did they start calling the bug a cricket?

artist

Banned
lol @ Ponting :D

I guess every Aussie switched the channel when India posted 354 :D

Highest total by India
Highest individual score by a captain against Australia

well done Dhoni.

Grug

Fair to say India have this one won.

Interesting to see Irfan sledging after being conspicious in his absence a couple of days ago.

artist

Banned
There is nothing interesting about my absence, the last game was a very even affair. The only people missing are the regular aussies saving face from today's humiliation of Australia.

Grug

What is to save face about?

We got wiped out.

I am much more entwined in the affairs relating to my football club to be honest right now, so at the moment I can't provide you with any reflected disappointment about a cricket match to give your life meaning.

http://www.saveourjumper.com.au

tri_willy

irfan said:
There is nothing interesting about my absence, the last game was a very even affair. The only people missing are the regular aussies saving face from today's humiliation of Australia.

me? i hope u didnt intend on mentioning me. i saw the score at work this morning and thought for fuck sakes. india played better, well done on dhoni on playing a blaster of an innings. hope we can take out the next game, that is all

artist

Banned
No, not you but Gruggy mate and his posse of Aussie gaffers who are obviously missing from this thread. Poor Grug didn't have a meaning to his life until I posted, correct! :D it's just being a pure sport and not a sore loser.

I was here during India's premature exit from the mini WC too. Clearly some people just can't face the music when it's their time..tsk.

tri_willy

yea ffs, poor batting from aussies. they really gotta step up since the bowlers cant hold the indian batsmen down. not liking this at all

artist

Banned
Well atleast Mike Hussey is playing well for you guys so .. ;)

Btw, Jadeja got Ponting again and in the same fashion (lbw). Safe to say as of now he's got the wood over Ponting.

109641.jpg

artist

Banned
Close game today :D ludicrous running between the wickets by both teams, I'd say the Indian runouts were more idiotic.

Jadeja once again got his man .. Ponting :D Absolutely loving this individual battle.

artist

Banned
This is how you put up a fight and not surrender meekly like you did earlier in the series when chasing 350.

One of the greatest innings of all-time by Tendulkar once again.

Highest individual score by an Indian against Australia.

Well done.

Except for the idiotic running (again), India was flawless.

Top Bottom