• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

snaildog

Fuck me, can the Cricinfo commentator wipe the jizz off his screen? Defending 351 in a one-dayer is always a tough task, but the Australianism spirit saw them sneak through in the end, as exemplified by a paragraph-long quote from some old geezer 61 years ago. Shame about the Ashes though.

artist

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Yep looks like AUS won in a tight tight game. How many games in the series 5? Aus won 3?
7 match series which Australia now lead 3-2.

1st ODI - Australia won by 3 runs
2nd ODI - Australia won by 24 runs
3rd ODI - India won by 6 wkts
4th ODI - India won by 99 runs
5th ODI - Australia won by 4 runs

Seems like either Australia win by the narrowest of margins or fail miserably. On the flip side, India have choked in 2 very tight games so far and when they have won, they have won convincingly.

snaildog said:
Fuck me, can the Cricinfo commentator wipe the jizz off his screen? Defending 351 in a one-dayer is always a tough task, but the Australianism spirit saw them sneak through in the end, as exemplified by a paragraph-long quote from some old geezer 61 years ago. Shame about the Ashes though.
:lol

snaildog

Look, I'm not a racist, but why does every single online cricket chat get full of this shit from the same two countries? It doesn't even stop when India and Pakistan aren't playing. Never seen anything like it, it's pathetic.
9is01v.jpg

artist

Banned
snaildog said:
Look, I'm not a racist, but why does every single online cricket chat get full of this shit from the same two countries? It doesn't even stop when India and Pakistan aren't playing. Never seen anything like it, it's pathetic.
9is01v.jpg
It's because the rivalry breeds such idiots who have nothing but hate against the opposing country. See last page for the "FUCK Yeah India lost" comment.

Personally I support India but can appreciate a Pakistan win as well.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Well India seem to have clawed back a half decent total and are still building on it. Singh out for his second duck in a row?

India all out for 170.

Dougie with a 5 for, must be the Advanced Hair Yeah Yeah.

Grug

Indian bowler pitches ball short and well outside off stump, batsman leaves ball comfortably.

"OIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!" shouts Dhoni.

Rinse, repeat.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Game over man

Tendulkar to Voges, FOUR!! And Australia have won the series! It was the googly, far too short, Voges picked it up easily and dispatched it behind square leg, Aus win by 6 wickets

Tendulkar to Voges, FOUR!! He finds the gap this time! Tendulkar serves up another long hop, Voges pulls it fiercely into the gap at mid wicket

Tendulkar to Voges, 2 runs, leg break, far too short, pulled away from well outside off to wide mid wicket

Tendulkar to Mike Hussey, 1 run, on leg stump, he goes back and works it through square leg

Tendulkar to Mike Hussey, no run, starts with an off-break, Mike Hussey is struck on the pad as he tries to defend

artist

Banned
Grug said:
He is really a thorn is Australia's flesh now with the bat too. :lol

Good to see the "regular" aussie folks showing up after a win but were missing when Australia got whipped. :lol Tail between legs analogy. ;)

Completely outplayed by Australia today, so much for batting first after winning the toss. I guess if you take the gamble, your batsmen need to stick to the plan and be watchful of the dew/swing factor.

First convincing win by Australia too. The last one is now a dead rubber, this series will go down as Australia's but also remembered for one of the greatest innings of all-time.

master15

Grug said:
Rinse, repeat.

Hey it's nice the team is finally showing form in ODI format. Between winning the champions trophy and series win in India, I would say those are some pretty big achievements.

Also what the fuck is wrong with Ishant Sharma? I absolutely hated the guy two summers ago for ripping our batsmen a new asshole, but admired the way he bowled. The fuck...

artist

Banned
legend166 said:
Gotta love beating India with an almost 3rd string lineup.

I mean, who the hell is Clint McKay?
Funny that India had their share of injured players too .. love 'em excuses, even when you don't lose. :D

Grug

Holy shiz. Sri Lanka declared at 7/760. The two Jayawardenes putting on over 400 between them.

India will be hoping to salvage a draw.

artist

Banned
Grug said:
Holy shiz. Sri Lanka declared at 7/760. The two Jayawardenes putting on over 400 between them.

India will be hoping to salvage a draw.
Drawn easily, that even though India's first innings was shit to put it in a nice way. Too bad your froth at the mouth was a tad pre-mature <- nothing strange coming from you. :lol

Second test is locked in India's favor. If SL manage a draw from here, then that would be a monumental effort like the second test of the greatest series ever (Ind v Aus - 2001). :D

NZ v Pak, what can I say. Pakistan back to their shitty politics and what not. Playing not that well either, Vettori among NZ is like a player way out of his depth, the rest of his team can hardly match his talent.

Aus v WI, Australia after a great start crawling past 400. This against WI, the way Aus batted they should bowl out WI for 200 or less. Anything more will be a moral victory for the WI. And draw would be a win for them. :lol

Test season all around, 3 tests going on concurrently is quite a sight.

Grug

Irfan looking for conflict that isn't even there again.

Seriously, stop trying to turn everything into a pissing contest. Sri Lanka's innings was worth commenting on, the fact they were playing India is irrevelent.

Frothing at the mouth... indeed.

You realise cricket is a game that can be watched and enjoyed right? It doesn't need to be channelled constantly into some conduit of faux nationalist bravado.

In other news... Ponting just declared at 8/480. Geez I'm glad I'm not at the Gabba today.... so fucking hot here in Brisbane today.

As for anything over 200 being a moral victory? Bit of a silly comment. Amazing batting conditions out there. Ball is going straight and fast onto the bat. Gayle alone is more than capable of a big total here.

artist

Banned
Grug said:
Irfan looking for conflict that isn't even there again.

Seriously, stop trying to turn everything into a pissing contest. Sri Lanka's innings was worth commenting on, the fact they were playing India is irrevelent.

Frothing at the mouth... indeed.

You realise cricket is a game that can be watched and enjoyed right? It doesn't need to be channelled constantly into some conduit of faux nationalist bravado.

In other news... Ponting just declared at 8/480. Geez I'm glad I'm not at the Gabba today.... so fucking hot here in Brisbane today.

As for anything over 200 being a moral victory? Bit of a silly comment. Amazing batting conditions out there. Ball is going straight and fast onto the bat. Gayle alone is more than capable of a big total here.

I'm not looking for a pissing contest with you .. You :lol

Yes SL posted a mammoth total and who they were playing was irrelevant but what was relevant was that the pitch was as dead as a rock, who gets excited about mammoth totals on dead pitches? Remember that test where SL posted some ridiculous total of 900+? yeah only amateurs get excited watching stale draws :D Your only interest in the game was because India played like shit on a dead pitch, I think even Bangladesh could have posted 400-500 on it.

Looks at the WI score, told you if they pass 200 and avoid follow-on, they'll fancy their chances for a draw; which would be a win for them.

artist

Banned
Pakistan lost F YEAH!!!!

What a match, definitely very entertaining the other two (Ind v SL or Aus v WI). In regards to the Brisbane test, what did I tell you children? WI follow-on just like I thought they would but man this Bharath guy is playing the best knock of this test. :)

tri_willy

umar akmal seems like a player to watch for pakistan, amazing debut from him. welcome back bond!!! 8 wicket return will boost nz's bowling attack since the rest are crap

legend166

Great innings from Barath. Too bad he didn't get any support.

My opinion of Gayle was solidified this match. Overrated hack. Selfish, too. Why he challenged his two dismissals, I'll never know.

artist

Banned
Grug said:
Moral victory for West Indies. They scored over 200 in the first innings. :lol

:lol
Not surprising but you opened your mouth and once again showed that there is much grey matter up in there .. my comment of WI passing 200 was in context of avoiding follow-on (I posted this when Aus was 400. But taking things out of context comes naturally to you so .. :D

WI is literally a Z grade team now. I would be surprised if they don't get white-washed. Gayle has long shown his dislike for tests. I guess some Aussies need to live in the illusion that this a great/good team so that when Aus wins, it would be like winning against SA or India.:lol

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

irfan said:
Not surprising but you opened your mouth and once again showed that there is much grey matter up in there .. my comment of WI passing 200 was in context of avoiding follow-on (I posted this when Aus was 400. But taking things out of context comes naturally to you so .. :D

WI is literally a Z grade team now. I would be surprised if they don't get white-washed. Gayle has long shown his dislike for tests. I guess some Aussies need to live in the illusion that this a great/good team so that when Aus wins, it would be like winning against SA or India.:lol

Like they did recently?

artist

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Like they did recently?
Recently? When was the last Ind v Aus test? :lol

speedpop said:
Tests are dead. G Chappell got it right a few weeks back.
Gayle, is that you? :D

1. Sehwag has 3 of the top 4 fastest double centuries.
2. Sehwag has 5 of the top 10 fastest double centures.
3. Sehwag is no.3 on the highest individual score in one day, however he didnt hog the strike as much as the no.1 (Bradman) or no.2 on that list.
3. Number of runs scored in boundaries - 202, only 36 runs away from the record.
4. Second instance in the history of test cricket where first two wickets have each put on 200. The earlier instance also involved Sehwag. :lol
5. If Sehwag crosses 300, he's the first and only player to have achieved this feat thrice. o_O

This test is a dead one IMO, only watching it for Sehwag's knock.

Grug

The Queensland Bulls are absolutely gunning the Ford Ranger cup.

Such a nicely balanced 1 day side we've got going at the moment.

artist

Banned
Damn you Sehwag for getting so close and getting out. As much entertainment he provides, some times he gives away his wicket so easily that its not even funny. I think it was in '03 series down under where Sehwag butchered Australian bowlers and ruined the boxing day till falling to a wide full toss from Katich :lol

SL have an uphill battle from here on. Murali is back in the wickets but his confidence is not back yet.

NZ's 99 all out is freakish. Credit to NZ batsmen for throwing away their wickets more than OMGWTFBBQ awesomesauce bowling from Pakistan. Clearly the pitch has assistance to the bowlers but its not as difficult as getting all out under three figures.

WI stretching their first inning total beyond 400? Possible. Surprisingly they have scored at a faster rate than Australia so far, even this total they are scoring quite quickly. They should get out of this ODI/T20 mode. Gayle's mentality rubbing off on the team?

BanGy.nz

Banned
The number of ducks New Zealand has conceded is embarrassing.

edit//
huh, two wickets two balls. NZ might not be quite as screwed as I thought.

double edit//
Nope, we're still screwed.

artist

Banned
BanGy.nz said:
The number of ducks New Zealand has conceded is embarrassing.

edit//
huh, two wickets two balls. NZ might not be quite as screwed as I thought.

double edit//
Nope, we're still screwed.
Its difficult but doable, maybe some Kiwi can play that Astle knock 200 off 180 balls :D

artist

Banned
lol @ Australia. So far Australia's batting in this series has looked very insecure/not confident .. :lol :lol :lol Luckily the team they're playing against is one of the weakest sides in world cricket and their bowlers have at least shown some balls.

Grug

Good old Adelaide... where fast bowlers go to die. Another road = another draw by the looks of it.

The sooner we bomb South Australia off the map the better. ;)

artist

Banned
Wait a minute, one knock of 156 doesnt answer anything but shit to his critics. If say, WI won the match from here on, then I would stand up and applaud but one knock among so many dismal failures doesnt prove anything. Gayle has long given up on tests and has openly admitted it, I dont know why WI is still putting faith in him.

Australia still have a BIG FAT chance to win this unlike the premature (again!) draw outlook painted by Grug. There are two wickets left with 300 runs to get, very doable. This I'm talking about keeping in context how indifferent Australia's batting has been so far. :lol

Grug

unlike the premature (again!) draw outlook painted by Grug

LMAO at the continual attemps at bravado at point scoring. Just chill the fuck out irfan. We're all cricket fans here. No need to try and prove yourself constantly.

My point was more about the bland Adelaide pitch, it's always been a bugbear of mine and combined with those ridiculously short boundaries, and its just a terrible test cricket venue. Put two world class teams here and it is a draw most of the time. As per India's last tour.

You need a Shane Warne or Murali at their best to force a result there.

It may be the bowler in me, but I just hate watching cricket on roads. Hopefully they rip up the pitch and start again as part of the redevelopment. But I doubt it.

legend166

It will be a draw today.

South Africa has the best pitches in the world imo. Enough in it for the bowlers but you can get runs if you work hard.

Australian pitches have been going downhill for the last 10 years, sadly.

Top Bottom