• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

legend166

Well well, maybe I spoke too soon.

A wicket for Rampaul is pretty much the definition of a bonus wicket. Bowling a decent spell here, but he's the definition of a trundler.

artist

Banned
Well ... this is a different Australia. They cant chase down a a 300 target against the second worst team in world cricket at home on a dead pitch .. :lol :lol :lol

Dead Man

Grug said:
My point was more about the bland Adelaide pitch, it's always been a bugbear of mine and combined with those ridiculously short boundaries, and its just a terrible test cricket venue. Put two world class teams here and it is a draw most of the time. As per India's last tour.

You need a Shane Warne or Murali at their best to force a result there.

It may be the bowler in me, but I just hate watching cricket on roads. Hopefully they rip up the pitch and start again as part of the redevelopment. But I doubt it.
Yeah, I love watching one dayers here, but test matches do end in draws a lot. I don't count on that changing anytime soon, either.

North gone and Australia at 5/139 now. A win is so very possible for the Windies.

Edit: Windies unfortunate not to make the breakthrough with Haddin over the past hour. Clarke has played well, though, except when facing the spin of Benn.

A draw is almost certain from here.

artist

Banned
This is a drastically different (defensive) play from Australia. Like I said earlier, second worst team in the world, only 300 runs 4 runs an over, at home and on a dead pitch. I think even England would have gone for it. :lol

Is anyone watching the India vs Sri Lanka ODI match right now?

280-1 in 32 overs. Sehwag (136) and Dhoni (56) currently playing, Sachin made 69.

Edit: Sehwag just got out. Raina in.

artist

Banned
What a match and a big turn around. SL was firmly in the drivers seat till Sangakarra was in. Even after he went it was still an easy chase. 99 runs needed off 84 balls with 8 wickets remaining. :D Good thing Zaheer Khan and Nehra came to the party in the last two overs with some nice yorkers, Zaheer still ended up with the worst ODI figures for India ever. :lol

Dilshan .. what a guy. He came into the side mostly on the basis of his fielding, so much improvement. And he's got great maturity too. Honestly, IMO this guy is the most talented player in SL including Sangakarra.

artist

Banned
111472.jpg

If WI manage to keep the series down to even a 1-0, then they have done very well. After all they are worst team (after Bang :lol ) in world test cricket.

Grug

Wouldn't think that any competitive and driven professional sportsman would be too keen on anything less than a win personally. If any West Indies players expressed contentment without winning a game, they probably won't be playing the next one.

Adelaide and the WACA have always been the pitches where teams can scrounge out a draw with some committed batting. Very flat pitches with even pace and little for the bowlers (apart from some early bounce at the WACA). The number of domestic draws at these games is amazing when you look at the history. Especially when there is a dearth of world class spinners. People can call West Indies the worst side in cricket all they want, but all you need is a couple of world class batsmen on these pitches and you can mount a stand. Gayle and Brava are certainly world class and have shown it here.

Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne are historically your result pitches. We saw how the Gabba test ended prematurely. We Queenslanders know how to get things right. ;) Still wish we'd dig up that Gabba pitch to protect the knees of Brisbane Lions ruckmen though ;)

The Pakistan tour should be a much better spectacle with games at the MCG, SCG and Bellerive.

artist

Banned
Excuses excuses and more excuses. This series should have been a white-wash and no less.

Whats up with the second innings collapse? :lol

Grug

excuses excuses and more excuses. This series should have been a white-wash and no less.

And India was meant to have a comfortable home ODI series win against a rebuilding Australian lineup too. Funny game cricket!

Grug

West Indies will be very deserving winners if they win this. No question.

Would be a few journalists with egg on their face too. Too many blokes who have never carried a bat at international level making statements about a team being "the worst in the world".

Grug said:
West Indies will be very deserving winners if they win this. No question.

Would be a few journalists with egg on their face too. Too many blokes who have never carried a bat at international level making statements about a team being "the worst in the world".

Absolutely. The talent to be competitive against a team like Australia - which is in the top three or four in the world - at Test level has always been there. For a variety of reasons (application, ethos, morale, etc.), however, they haven't been able to utilize it in quite some time. So, even if they don't manage to win tomorrow, it could be the long-overdue glimpse of them turning the corner.

But that point would be more convincing if they tied the series.

Grug

Tim the Wiz said:
But that point would be more convincing if they tied the series.

Yeah, didn't quite get there in the end but geez they had a dip.

Plenty of talent to work with there.

artist

Banned
Grug said:
And India was meant to have a comfortable home ODI series win against a rebuilding Australian lineup too. Funny game cricket!
India were without their share of top players, funny when it comes to excuses Australia seems to have exclusivity :D

That last decision was pretty controversial tho :-/

Grug

Bit of a surprising declaration there from Punter. Would have kept going myself.

That said, I'll defer to the judgement of the great man.

Dead Man

Grug said:
Bit of a surprising declaration there from Punter. Would have kept going myself.

That said, I'll defer to the judgement of the great man.
I think it was a good call, trying to get a result instead of batting for 3 days for a draw. Aggressive and a bit risky, but I like that.

Grug

idahoblue said:
I think it was a good call, trying to get a result instead of batting for 3 days for a draw. Aggressive and a bit risky, but I like that.

Oh yeah, like I said, I'll back the great one every day of the week. He knows the capabilities of the team better than anyone.

I am pretty over-conservative when it comes to declarations, follow-ons etc.

He looks to have been vindicated already this afternoon. 4 key wickets including the prized scalp of Yousuf. Geez our bowling was sharp today. Almost flawless. Didn't even concede a boundary until the 32nd over.

More of that please gentlemen.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
They have been talking bout thongs, budgie smugglers and mankinis for the last 2 days............. hurry up and show it already.

Need more Warnie stories though, always fun to hear bout on field antics.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
No double centuries or the amount of over turned decisions.............. or go back to arguing about whos better looking in a mankini.

Nice ball by Horitz there, ripped right through him.

Top Bottom