• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

master15

Eh, actually Katich and Watson have been actually a pretty solid opening combination. Maybe not the lofty heights Langer/Hayden used to deliver but pretty decent nonetheless.

It's our soft middle order which has really sunk the ship more times than not.

Pretty grim watching if your an Australian fan, surely England can't loose from here.

Salazar

Ashes1396 said:
Katich looks like he's out, doesn't he?

He certainly doesn't look happy. I think he realised halfway through that dive - just before impact - that it was a bad idea.

Some of the Australians are bulky sons of bitches. Ryan Harris is a cube.

Salazar said:
He certainly doesn't look happy. I think he realised halfway through that dive - just before impact - that it was a bad idea.

Some of the Australians are bulky sons of bitches. Ryan Harris is a cube.

As is the Doug the rug. He's also very injury prone too.

Papa

Banned
Salazar said:
I'm happy enough seeing Hayden on tv pretending the ship isn't sinking.

It's already sunk. Australia's in a re-building phase just as England was for a good 15 years from the early 90s until about 4 years ago.

Ashes

Banned
i_am_ben said:
slightly off topic but what ever happened to those Pakistani match fixers?

The head of the icc said that he would be 'disappointed' if they were not convicted as it were.
And I don't see how that is off topic. :p This is the general cricket thread after all.

artist

Banned
Who ever called for rain was damn correct.

Hello everyone, Sahil here. If you're an Australian fan I come with the gift of good news. The drizzle has got harder and the covers are out there. Play could be delayed for a while here. It's pretty steady rain at this stage.

Salazar

Uh-huh.

I expect an Australian second innings capitulation. Should that happen, how they will be able to muster even the most vaguely convincing show of confidence or enthusiasm for the third test escapes me. Leaving aside the monstrously tedious bullshit about Aussie stoicism and team spirit.

A bloke at my mate's work put $100 on a 0-0 series at 100:1 before the first test.

He'll be loving the rain.

Its been a while since I have had to wish for rain in an Australian game, for the last 15 years its been more like I was praying for it not to rain so we could get a victory.

This series reminds me of the 1994 Frank Worrell trophy series in the Windies which pretty much marked the end of the Windies' greatness aura and the start of the Australian's dominance.

I think England could be champions for a long time looking at their squad age and quality.
Having seen the Aussies play India recently, these Poms would give them a run for their money for sure.

Their bowlers are so accurate and they consistently hit the right spots to cause problems.
And their batsmen are actually performing as well. Cook's record speaks for itself and having watched Trott this summer, he looks like the perfect no.3 for them. His technique and balance are brilliant and apart from his rash shots where he was the one to make the mistake, Australia have not looked like getting him out.

And the Aussies are so bad at the moment it is not funny. I don't know if I can remember them looking so poor in their fielding, bowling and batting in the same match, which we are at the moment, ever in my lifetime. When was the last time they had so many dropped catches and misfields in an innings as they have in this one? Its a disgrace.
In an ideal world, Clarke and North would have been dropped but who the hell can come in? I think Cameron White is as good or better option than North, but there really isnt too many good options for Clarke (Hodge, Klinger, Kawaja or Hughs?).

I take my hat off to England, they deserve to at least be 1-0 up after this test but we are very lucky that they wont likely be.

Salazar

chicko1983 said:
I think Cameron White is as good or better option than North, but there really isnt too many good options for Clarke (Hodge, Klinger, Kawaja or Hughs?).

Skull says Warne for coach :)lol :lol :lol) and Klinger at 3.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Speaking of odds they where saying on the radio the other day that some guy put 100 on a 11000:1 bet on AFL final, NRL final St George to win by +12 and the first Ashes test being a draw, or something like that.

legend166

We need to just get rid of the rest of the hacks and play the NSW bowling lineup. Ryan Harris can stay ahead of Bollinger.

Mark Cameron
Trent Copeland
Ryan Harris
Steve O'Keefe
Steve Smith batting at 6

Salazar said:
Skull says Warne for coach :)lol :lol :lol) and Klinger at 3.

I havent listened to the radio this year, but I agree with Warne as coach.

They need some passion in the change room at the moment. Someone to gee them up and get some of the players to wake up and realise that they are playing for the Ashes (Michael Clarke looks like he is asleep out there).

Warnie could give them a rocket but I have heard that him and Ponting dont get along in the change room as Warnie always believed he should have been captain. So having him as coach could upset the changeroom further.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

chicko1983 said:
I havent listened to the radio this year, but I agree with Warne as coach.

They need some passion in the change room at the moment. Someone to gee them up and get some of the players to wake up and realise that they are playing for the Ashes (Michael Clarke looks like he is asleep out there).

Warnie could give them a rocket but I have heard that him and Ponting dont get along in the change room as Warnie always believed he should have been captain. So having him as coach could upset the changeroom further.

I dont think he would be a good coach. He would do it for a year max before he quit.

Salazar

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
I dont think he would be a good coach. He would do it for a year max before he quit.

And Skull did suggest selling Tasmania to pay his salary :lol

I'm against the idea - even if I do want to see Australia lose most of the time.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Eh i think he is a bit of a dog to be honest. Seen some charity thing he did, had to bowl a few balls to some kids or something. He bowled the balls and just bolted, climbed a railing and was gone :lol

guidop

legend166 said:
We need to just get rid of the rest of the hacks and play the NSW bowling lineup. Ryan Harris can stay ahead of Bollinger.

Mark Cameron
Steve O'Keefe
Steve Smith batting at 6

To be fair England flogged them about in Tasmania too

Brett Lee to the rescue? He wants to play Edit: oops mis-read a quote he wants to play in the one day side

Grug

So little fight in this side at the moment.

Even with some rain assistance, I have doubts over their ability to salvage a draw.

Papa

Banned
The Aussie attack needs someone with pace. Harris has been sharp this match but we need a real firebrand like Lee or Tait. Johnson played that role for a while but with him gone we need someone else to step up. For me, the bowling lineup should be Bollinger and Hilfy opening, Lee 1st change and as for the spinner, I really don't know. The selectors are so against bringing in older players such as Lee or Hodge but experience is what we need right now. I mean it's the fucking Ashes, come on. Do the rebuilding in a series that doesn't matter.

Dead Man

Grug said:
So little fight in this side at the moment.

Even with some rain assistance, I have doubts over their ability to salvage a draw.
Yeah, they just look like they're out there making up the numbers at the moment. No fire at all.

matt404au said:
The Aussie attack needs someone with pace. Harris has been sharp this match but we need a real firebrand like Lee or Tait. Johnson played that role for a while but with him gone we need someone else to step up. For me, the bowling lineup should be Bollinger and Hilfy opening, Lee 1st change and as for the spinner, I really don't know. The selectors are so against bringing in older players such as Lee or Hodge but experience is what we need right now. I mean it's the fucking Ashes, come on. Do the rebuilding in a series that doesn't matter.
I don't think it's panic stations yet, but if they collapse in the second innings and the next test, something drastic may be what's needed.

i had no idea that the england cricket board technically encompasses wales until tonight.

i was with my welsh friend and was like "presumably you don't give a fuck about us dicking over australia" and he put me straight.

good to know! cricket is the best sport in the world when england are doing okay.

chicko1983 said:
I think England could be champions for a long time looking at their squad age and quality.
Having seen the Aussies play India recently, these Poms would give them a run for their money for sure.

Only if the Engalnd team start taking every series as importantly as the Ashes, as for India their seam bowlers enjoy it over here, & they may not even be No 1 by the time they come over (If SA win the series won't they be No. 1?)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
345triangle said:
i had no idea that the england cricket board technically encompasses wales until tonight.

What? Wilf Wooller, Geraint Jones, Simon Jones, Haydn Davies, Glamorgan CCC ...

Seems we're not declaring just yet. My guess - Pietersen and Bell to engage in a slogathon up to 600 before we do.

No rain until much later apparently.

Edit: and KP starts off with a boundary, nice.

Top Bottom