• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

legend166

SumPog said:
Ponting and Clarke have both been really disappointing in the series so far, the same with Hughes.

Hughes has definitely been disappointing this test. But I really hope they stick with him for the final two tests. Besides the fact there's no other Shield openers worthy of a call up, I'm fine sticking with a youngster for a few tests than an old plodder like they did with North. Hopefully he finds his feet and scores some runs. Same with Smith.

Ponting needs to hurry up and announce his retirement as of the end of this series, no matter the result. I think it would life a huge weight off his shoulders and hopefully he could get some runs in the last two tests.

Regarding the India/SA series - I'm not surprised. India have one world class pace bowler, and that's Khan. And he's not playing. They're going to struggle to win on fast pitches until they find another one. I thought Sharma would be it after his tour in Australia a couple years back, but he's completely rubbish now. I have no idea what happened to him. Add to that an aging top order who will struggle on South African pitches, this was always on the cards. They should just drop Laxman unless they are playing Australia, where he will come out and score 100s every match.

Papa

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Pitch will get slower fourth day though. And I don't think fifth day will come into it but even if it did, no aussie spinner.
They're going to get over 200 I think, which is why I thought the 300 mark a better target.
Smith? Why does everyone keep forgetting he bowls spin?

Ashes

Banned
matt404au said:
Smith? Why does everyone keep forgetting he bowls spin?

Oh yeah. I did forget... :lol
I guess a second strand spinner is better than no spinner at all.

edit: although having googled him now for better stats, lots of people have been saying good things about him. Not that I can see the pitch aiding him at all either.

Papa

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Oh yeah. I did forget... :lol
I guess a second strand spinner is better than no spinner at all.

edit: although having googled him now for better stats, lots of people have been saying good things about him. Not that I can see the pitch aiding him at all either.

Warne is a huge fan of him. He still needs some development (he's only 21) but I wouldn't call him second string. Just watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbpv65uQvZc

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Reckon 450-500 declare give the bowlers something to go crazy at and to see if England chase or poke for 2 days. Pitch looks like its flattened out so it might be tough to get 10 wickets.

Anyways game on.

Ashes

Banned
oh cricket's a funny game. I think I'd say it's Austrailia's game to lose but anything can happen really...

edit: Haddin's gone. Yes!
Edit: Johnson!

guidop

Foot from throat. We've been doing this for years instead of pounding a team into oblivion, we let them back into the game

Ashes

Banned
It's still yours to lose. If Austrailia get to a 400 lead they deserve to win.
Strap your selves in though. No rain, and this time, time won't be an issue, somebody's got to win it.

Ashes

Banned
Well played Hussey.
Well played Tremlett.

Under 400. Only the foolhardy optimist England fan is going to put the money on England. And I guess I'm lucky that I'm an optimist.

Ashes

Banned
eight to go, and fewer capable of getting us there. I don't know why the openers didn't just try to save their wickets and just defend. wait till the shine's gone, then bat to your hearts desires....

good bowling by austrailia though...

Papa

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
eight to go, and fewer capable of getting us there. I don't know why the openers didn't just try to save their wickets and just defend. wait till the shine's gone, then bat to your hearts desires....

good bowling by austrailia though...

They both got out defending...

Empty

just woke up to this. bad times for england, maybe we'd have an okay chance if cook and strauss could have got us off to a good start, now it's very slim.

Papa

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Not really the same mentality as an out and out defence. Not by a long shot.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. They got out playing defensive shots.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

KP gone, good for Hillfy. Been bowling good but getting nothing.

matt404au said:
I don't understand what you're trying to say. They got out playing defensive shots.

He means defending as in batting to eke out a draw, no risks, no flash etc.

No just defending a single ball.

Ashes

Banned
matt404au said:

You don't understand that a defensive mentality would bring about a different stance, different mind set as to how to play every ball, how that reduces the shot selection from maybe a good pre-meditated defensive shot and the instinctive defensive shot? What we saw was a poor defensive shot at best.
They're new to the stumps, of course they're going to be more defensive. We're not talking about that here. But what was needed here, I think of course, is a long innings, one of them should have decided, right I'm just going to sit here.

edit: Yeah, I guess he ^^^^ said it more succinctly. :lol

Papa

Banned
I don't know if you guys have much experience playing but whilst good in theory, that really doesn't work in practice. Changing your entire game to try to eke out a draw does terrible things to your psychology as a batsman. They would've been better off just playing their natural game. It's happened to me far too many times.

Ashes

Banned
Batting pitch is good for batting after the shine wears off. I'm not saying you actually eek out a draw with two days away. I'm just saying, just take care of the new ball for the rest of the team to come along.
Obviously, it's easy for me to say from up here and harder to put into action down at the crease though... :lol

legend166

Got him! Last ball of the day can you believe that?!?!

ADIOS ENGLAND!!

After all the domination, all the rubbish spewed forth by Salazar, it's going to be 1-1 heading to the MCG. Brilliant :lol

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Crazy last ball, great day. Good batting and bowling on display.

Hopefully Ponting isnt banged up to bad.......... maybe it will make him keep his gloves away from balls.

artist

Banned
Whats up with the Pom batting line-up .. this doesnt seem like the same people who thrased Australia silly for 900+ runs losing only 4 wickets a few days ago .. tsk tsk.

master15

This is like bizzaro land. What an odd game cricket can be at times.

Still until I see us knocking off the tail I am not saying shit :lol

legend166 said:
Got him! Last ball of the day can you believe that?!?!
:D :D
I was at the game yesterday, crowd was going crazy after the last ball. Awesome stuff. I was actually thinking about that quote above they play on the cricket when I was walking out of there. The streaker was fairly humerous, dude ran on the field then after 30 meters decided to rip his pants off, they got caught around his ankles and he went face first into the grass :lol

master15

Managed to finally watch the highlights (I love cricket but following it via cric info can be a pain at times).

Got to say it's amazing how Hussey has been able to turn it around this series.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

master15 said:
Managed to finally watch the highlights (I love cricket but following it via cric info can be a pain at times).

Got to say it's amazing how Hussey has been able to turn it around this series.

Without Hussey we would well and truly be fucked.

Top Bottom