• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Watching that video of Bevan hitting the 4 to win the game was a massive flashback. One of my favourite sportsmen of the 90s when I followed ODI cricket religiously every summer. Nowadays I seem to be more of a Test man :lol

edbrat

so yes Hussey is on his way but this pitch has a lot in it for the seamers/swingers, if it keeps on giving England will not like batting on this strip. Lots of humidity, if Mitch can get those inswingers moving late he will be a nightmare.

Empty

fuck. thought this test wasn't starting till tomorrow. time zones confused me. missed another wicked england start too.

Salazar

Back in Launceston. Cradle Mountain was gorgeous but fucking cold. Fly back to Queensland tomorrow.

Australia's woes please me. A smile really fucking tugs at my face to watch you struggle.

edbrat

covers coming off, lovely for bowling, plenty of moisture, bit of movement off the pitch, the quicks and mediums on both sides should be licking their lips.

Meadows

Banned
edbrat said:
covers coming off, lovely for bowling, plenty of moisture, bit of movement off the pitch, the quicks and mediums on both sides should be licking their lips.

Yeah, the Aussie bowlers will be loving this when they're on in an hour.

BURN

Australia have no resilience in their middle order. And it doesn't help when Ponting is in the worst form of his career and their tail can't bat to save their lives.

Also, who the hell is Smith?!?

:lol They're not going to make 100 at this rate

Dead Man

Bungieware said:
Australia have no resilience in their middle order. And it doesn't help when Ponting is in the worst form of his career and their tail can't bat to save their lives.

Also, who the hell is Smith?!?

:lol They're not going to make 100 at this rate
Actually, except for Husey, the tail has been the only part of the team making runs so far in this series. This match notwithstanding of course. :lol

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
J HESUS, lucky im not at my parents, they have a special needs guy who is obsessed with cricket and would be swearing his guts out at the moment.

No its not Irfan.

Anderson is proving how hard it is to play him when he's hitting 90 mph and swinging the ball both ways. It's amazing how much he's progressed in the last few years.

And another wicket. Imagine if Flintoff had not been forced into retirement.

Yagharek

Bungieware said:
Anderson is proving how hard it is to play him when he's hitting 90 mph and swinging the ball both ways. It's amazing how much he's progressed in the last few years.

And another wicket. Imagine if Flintoff had not been forced into retirement.

Australia would still be fucked?

Yagharek

speedpop said:
Which is funny since he posted the highest score for Australia this innings.

20. Which is also one of his best scores in the last 6 tests he has played. The guy is out of form and at least hussey/haddin/watson have made some runs. Clarke should be in the same boat as smith/hughes/north: stomping on thin ice.

Salazar

RandomVince said:
Clarke being captain for starters.

I have sensed a belated (like an ocean liner turning) conversion in selecting circles to the notion (nay, the fact) that he is a prick with the temperament of a spanked toddler.

Yagharek

Salazar said:
I have sensed a belated (like an ocean liner turning) conversion in selecting circles to the notion (nay, the fact) that he is a prick with the temperament of a spanked toddler.

Indeed. And about fucking time too.Wasnt there a case where clarke told katich he would be the first one gone from the side when he was captain? Talk about sense of entitlement.

edit: jackman scored 20 off warne. :lol
We have a replacement!

Dead Man

RandomVince said:
20. Which is also one of his best scores in the last 6 tests he has played. The guy is out of form and at least hussey/haddin/watson have made some runs. Clarke should be in the same boat as smith/hughes/north: stomping on thin ice.
Yeah, should be, but apparently give free blowjobs to the selectors. So not just isn't, but still in line to be captain.

Yagharek

I guess the interesting thing will be how England bats. I am still not sure whether:

a) England bowled awesome
b) Australia batted pathetically
c) The pitch is a bowler's paradise

I think it's more a case of a and b combined, but c will be tested shortly.

Repercussions of this test series:

Ponting will be axed as captain if the series is lost or he will retire
Clarke will be made captain, making things 10x worse
Hussey or Haddin will possibly retire
Paine will be groomed as a potential future captain

What should happen:
Ponting drop down the order
Watson/katich or hussey made interim captain
Clarke dropped
Hughes dropped to #3 for the next test series, if he fails again then axed for good

RandomVince said:
I guess the interesting thing will be how England bats. I am still not sure whether:

a) England bowled awesome
b) Australia batted pathetically
c) The pitch is a bowler's paradise

I think it's more a case of a and b combined, but c will be tested shortly.

Repercussions of this test series:

Ponting will be axed as captain if the series is lost or he will retire
Clarke will be made captain, making things 10x worse
Hussey or Haddin will possibly retire
Paine will be groomed as a potential future captain

What should happen:
Ponting drop down the order
Watson/katich or hussey made interim captain
Clarke dropped
Hughes dropped to #3 for the next test series, if he fails again then axed for good

This is a bad idea. Players shouldn't be groomed for captaincy when they're brought in. They did this with Michael Clarke for 5 years, and he clearly isn't the right man for the job. Hussey is the only man they should consider to replace Ponting as captain. Anyone else would mean that Australia were effectively starting again from scratch.

They can't afford to drop any of those players as well because there aren't any replacements that are good enough. They dropped Hughes for Watson in 2009 and now they open the batting together. And if they did, then it would probably mean that they are closing the book on them like they did with Hauritz.

Mitchell Johnson looks like he's ready to self destruct again

Yagharek

Bungieware said:
This is a bad idea. Players shouldn't be groomed for captaincy when they're brought in. They did this with Michael Clarke for 5 years, and he clearly isn't the right man for the job. Hussey is the only man they should consider to replace Ponting as captain. Anyone else would mean that Australia were effectively starting again from scratch.

They can't afford to drop any of those players as well because there aren't any replacements that are good enough. They dropped Hughes for Watson in 2009 and now they open the batting together. And if they did, then it would probably mean that they are closing the book on them like they did with Hauritz.

Oh I agree, but he has shown potential at state and aus A level at least. I'm not talking in 3-5 years, just as a potential long term prospect assuming he ends up being the #1 keeper after haddin retires.

In my opinion, the captain should be someone who has been in the side a while, who has a bit of an attitude about them and can back it up. ie Hussey or katich at this stage.

RandomVince said:
Oh I agree, but he has shown potential at state and aus A level at least. I'm not talking in 3-5 years, just as a potential long term prospect assuming he ends up being the #1 keeper after haddin retires.

In my opinion, the captain should be someone who has been in the side a while, who has a bit of an attitude about them and can back it up. ie Hussey or katich at this stage.

Yeah, Katich should be considered as well. Would Ponting stay on if he's replaced do you think? Because if he doesn't, then the core of the team would be Clarke and those three that you mentioned who are very close to retirement. And when they go where do Australia go from there?

Top Bottom