• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

master15

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Without Hussey we would well and truly be fucked.

Without a doubt, don't also forget Haddin's regular but hugely important knocks too.

So it seems confirmed Pointing as a fracture in his finger.

Ashes

Banned
This should be the biggest partnership of England innings from here on in. Either of these wickets should signal an early finish.

artist

Banned
I think the credit for this win should go to Johnson by a country mile. His spell on Day 2 was unplayable. England have themselves to blame for the second inning collapse. Australia batting order is still a concern though, 300 and there abouts is not really a great score.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Good bowling and average/poor batting beats average bowling and poor batting.

Good confidence boost for sure though for the Aussies and a demoralising blow for the Poms.

lol'd at Harris taking 1 stump............. Johnson takes 3.

Dead Man

Been out camping all weekend, missed half the fun! Glad to see the series still alive, dead games just aren't as interesting to me.

legend166

CricketBattingAverageHistogram.gif

deal-with-it.gif

artist

Banned
Number of world records by Tendulkar; 85+ and counting.
Number of world records by Bradman; 25 or less.

Homer Deal with it the delta only gets worse from here on. :lol

Murli has more wickets than Warne, I've seen the pain on Aussie faces with this one :lol

santouras

irfan said:
Murli has more wickets than Warne, I've seen the pain on Aussie faces with this one :lol
no cricket commentator in their right mind would consider murli a better spinner than warne. None. So I don't see your point there.

Also, Tendulkar has played 3.3 times the number of matches Bradman did yet only scored 1.7 times the number of centuries. If you're trying to say he is a better batsman than Bradman because he has statistically scored more centuries you are certifiably insane

Yagharek

I dont know about bowlers (McGrath was pretty fucking good, as were WI players like Joel Gardner) but I dont know of many better batsmen in recent memory than Viv Richards. .

Granted, he doesnt hold the records Bradman or Tendulkar do, but I dont know of any player who completely dominated and intimidated another side like Viv did when he was at the crease.

Tendulkar is a great player of course, but as far as batsmen go I would be looking at several players like Bradman, Sobers, Richards before him. Tendulkar just happened to play most of his career on flat subcontinent wickets.

Grug

It's a bit ridiculous to slam Bradman for having less centuries than Tendulkar.

Doesn't take a genius to realise that since players had to travel by boat in Bradman's era, the opportunity to play that many innings simply wasn't there.

The fact remains that Bradman is the most dominant individual in ANY sport. No other player in any sport is so measurably ahead of the rest on averaged statistics as the Don. Hell, it's not even close. And in an era of uncovered pitches that were far less favourable to batsmen no less. It's a big call to use the word "never" but with Bradman, you feel pretty safe in saying that his average will NEVER be matched.

Tendulkar is an amazing player and I doubt I will see a better batsman in my life time, now well ahead of Lara who I was a huge fan of for many years. It's a shame that irfan couldn't find a way to recognize Tendulkar without having to try and ignite yet another pissing contest. Sad.

Loving the Bevan talk by the way. Will always be my favorite cricketer. God I had some man love for him when I was younger. The last ball four vs the Windies at the SCG is in my top 5 sporting memories (a very competitive list considering I witnessed my football team win three flags in a row).

DeSo

Banned
Grug said:

Doesn't take a genius to realise that since players had to travel by boat in Bradman's era, the opportunity to play that many innings simply wasn't there.

The fact remains that Bradman is the most dominant individual in ANY sport. No other player in any sport is so measurably ahead of the rest on averaged statistics as the Don. Hell, it's not even close. And in an era of uncovered pitches that were far less favourable to batsmen no less. It's a big call to use the word "never" but with Bradman, you feel pretty safe in saying that his average will NEVER be matched.

Tendulkar is an amazing player and I doubt I will see a better batsman in my life time, now well ahead of Lara who I was a huge fan of for many years. It's a shame that irfan couldn't find a way to recognize Tendulkar without having to try and ignite yet another pissing contest. Sad.

Loving the Bevan talk by the way. Will always be my favorite cricketer. God I had some man love for him when I was younger. The last ball four vs the Windies at the SCG is in my top 5 sporting memories (a very competitive list considering I witnessed my football team win three flags in a row).
clapping.gif

legend166

Grug said:

There's also the fact that he lost 8 years of international cricket due to a little event known as World War II.

artist

Banned
santouras said:
no cricket commentator in their right mind would consider murli a better spinner than warne. None. So I don't see your point there.
So commentator's opinions are now the end-all? :lol Moving goal post and such. Personally I'd pick Warne over Murali but its a lot of fun to point this fact and see some faces squirm. :D

santouras said:
Also, Tendulkar has played 3.3 times the number of matches Bradman did yet only scored 1.7 times the number of centuries. If you're trying to say he is a better batsman than Bradman because he has statistically scored more centuries you are certifiably insane
I'm not saying Tendulkar is better just on the fact of his centuries alone, he has a lot, a LOT more statistical records on his side other than 0.06-short-of-hundred stat. If you are grading players based on centuries per inning alone, then you are insane as then in that world Andy Ganteaume would be the world's best batsman :lol

Grug said:
It also doesnt take a light bulb to realise that in today's cricketing age there are a LOT of tools to help bowlers figure out batsman. The game has changed a lot, it would be a shame to say one is better than the other.

Anyway, personally I wouldnt rate Tendulkar higher than Bradman, I wouldnt rate Bradman above Tendulkar either. But I enjoy all of his milestones and in process seeing people squirm. ;)

Grug

irfan said:
But I enjoy all of his milestones and in process seeing people squirm. ;)

I think the squirming scenarios are playing out only in your mind. I see plenty of regard for Tendulkar in this thread.

It seems increasingly clear that you are unable to derive satisfaction from the great game of cricket unless you have rich helpings of schadenfreude on the side. Lighten up. Please.

artist

Banned
Grug said:
I think the squirming scenarios are playing out only in your mind. I see plenty of regard for Tendulkar in this thread.

It seems increasingly clear that you are unable to derive satisfaction from the great game of cricket unless you have rich helpings of schadenfreude on the side. Lighten up. Please.
Plenty of satisfaction for me;
RandomVince said:
Tendulkar just happened to play most of his career on flat subcontinent wickets.
:)

Grug

master15 said:
I actually rate this above the last ball heroics in the world cup semi against South Africa. The entire innings is just a ODI innings master class and the fact he did this many times over this career just proved what an awesome player Beavan was.

Yeah. the 99 WC Semi was more of a South African brain fart than Aussie brilliance.

Still a great moment though. I remember hearing cheers erupting out of nowhere up and down my street at like 3am. :lol

master15

Grug said:
Yeah. the 99 WC Semi was more of a South African brain fart than Aussie brilliance.

True, Paul R's dropped catch and Lehman not taking advantage of run out opportunity really showed how many brain farts Saffers were having that innings.

On ashes related note looks like Punter is going to play, which I for one think is a good thing. If he can make it past 30, look for a big score from him, and we really need it.

edbrat

looks electric at the MCG, would love to go to that once in my life.

Ponting is worrying for an Englishman, he is too good not to get a ton or four in a series. Hoping he doesn't start playing now.

Top Bottom