• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Ashes

Banned
Bungieware said:
All of the Aussies were convinced. Cook knew otherwise, sipping on his gatorade

Aye. In years gone by, that would have been him gone. Tech is a bit of alright, isn't it? I wish some of it would come into another popular sport, here in England.

guidop

Going to be overcast for a while, good chance of rain too. Time for the other bowlers to step up, conditions are favorable

edit: its worth noting that in the last game England lost all their wickets more or less within 100 runs

Hilf in, good move

Yagharek

legend166 said:
We'll need to score at least 500 in the second innings to have any chance. I highly doubt that's going to happen.

Well they only have one batsmen, the rest are all making up numbers. Cant expect Hussey to do everything.

DaMan121

:lol No ball.. We will lose this by an innings again. England are just a better team, no matter how hard the commentators try to gloss over it.

Zapages

I think England will do about 250 to 300 in their lead. Then Australia will come back and see what happens. Its a fun match for the neutral. :)

artist

Banned
DaMan121 said:
Fine Tuesday and Wednesday, Thursday.. Not important..
:lol

For those who missed the action;

Incredible really, Dar had given Prior out but then glanced down at the ground where the boot would have landed and just felt there could have been a problem so called Prior back.

99.3 Johnson to Prior, 1 no ball, 139.3 kph, gone this time! Johnson gets another! Or has he!? It was a clear nick behind but umpire Dar thinks it might be a no ball. The replay suggests it might be! Ricky Ponting might explode here... Really good work from umpire Dar, he clearly felt there might be a problem and just as Australia were celebrating he called Prior back and consulted the third umpire which proved Johnson had overstepped the line
83.6 Harris to Pietersen, no run, 140.1 kph, Great reply from Harris, getting this one to hit the seam and burst past the inside edge ... but what's this? Haddin is vociferous in his appeal and convinces them to ask for a review. Nope, nothing there and Pietersen remains.
But Ponting really isn't happy about this and is having a go at Aleem Dar ... finger wagging and pointing going on, apparently Ponting is sure there was something on that. There was a bright spot right at the bottom of the bat, nowhere near where the ball was. This isn't good to see.
Plenty of emails in about Ponting, pretty much can be summarised by this from Tim: "Ponting is an embarrassment. He MUST NOT be allowed to resign, he MUST be SACKED. Such a display of arrogance towards one of the best umpires in the game cannot go unpunished. Mr Crowe - you must invoke the full force of your position. My kids play cricket and this idiot is the one they are supposed to be looking up to." Anyway, the wicket has given us something else to focus on for now.
I disagree on Ponting being sacked as his successor is a even worse - a lying cheat .. but I agree Punter's an idiot, Australianism at its finest.

Yagharek

irfan said:
I disagree on Ponting being sacked as his successor is a even worse - a lying cheat .. but I agree Punter's an idiot, Australianism at its finest.

Keep bringing up the same old test match time after time. I agree clarke is a wanker, but he didnt cheat in that test and you know it.

He did cheat a couple of weeks ago when he refused to walk though.

artist

Banned
RandomVince said:
Keep bringing up the same old test match time after time. I agree clarke is a wanker, but he didnt cheat in that test and you know it.

He did cheat a couple of weeks ago when he refused to walk though.
The guy was lying in a court. We're past that as everybody knows the true selfish color of the bloke ..

It seems as though the crowd booed Ponting and co. way to go!

Yagharek

Australian cricket died today. Burn the bails and Australia can finally have its own real ashes urn in the country instead of the other side of the world.

The first player to score more than 20 runs in an innings gets to keep it. Might be a while before anyone does that though...

master15

Kind of amusing, yet sad some folks are still butt hurt and drudging up old grudges. Tis to be expected :lol

On the game itself, ouch. I can't see us fighting our ways back from this. Abysmal doesn't even come close to describing the performance thus far.

Dead Man

master15 said:
Kind of amusing, yet sad some folks are still butt hurt and drudging up old grudges. Tis to be expected :lol

On the game itself, ouch. I can't see us fighting our ways back from this. Abysmal doesn't even come close to describing the performance thus far.
Pretty much. I've been out most of the day so I missed the glorious showing by our team, but this is as bad as I've seen the Australia since I started watching cricket, 20 years ago. Bring on the new Ashes urn, Australian cricket is in the shitter.

DeSo

Banned
At least we showed a little fight today, unlike yesterday. Johnson needed to fire for us to miraculously get out of this but it wasn't to be. Big loss coming up.

artist

Banned
master15 said:
Nah, its just us hippies dancing around the fire around the Austraaalian cricket team's dead body. HULA HALA HU HU HULA HALA HU HU :D

Steyn > all fast bowlers in the world at the moment.

guidop

We played all right till tea if the Prior wicket wasn't check for a no ball we probably would have bowled them out today, It was only in the last session when it fell apart. Our bowlers sans Siddle didn't stand up today, Johnson's wickets were bad shots rather then good bowling.

At a minimum it would be nice it we could bowl them out before lunch and then bat well enough to make England bat again even if its just 20 runs. This game is definietly gone now; to much cricket left for a draw and no way we can post a score greater then 500. Yet a little face saving would be nice

Yagharek

irfan said:
Nah, its just us hippies dancing around the fire around the Austraaalian cricket team's dead body. HULA HALA HU HU HULA HALA HU HU :D

Steyn > all fast bowlers in the world at the moment.

If it makes you feel any worse, the only reason Australia is this bad now is because all the great players retired. They were never beaten.

2h3rcrl.gif

Mr_Moogle

This is probably the worst Australian test side in 30 years. Theres no runs coming from the top order and our bowling attack can only manage patches of brilliance.

The blame must be placed on the top order batsmen. Watson, Hussey and Haddin are the only aussie batsmen to make any runs. Ponting, Clarke and Hughes are all dead wood and havent contributed at all this series.

I dont know how Phil Hughes is there when there are more in form batsmen at domestic level. Ponting would be gone already if he wasnt captain but you can hardly replace him with Clarke who is equally as out of form.

After the world cup, ricky has to go. Selectors need to start blooding our younger players. We need to give test experience to players like Ferguson, Kawaja etc.

Top Bottom