• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Official Madden Season 12 Thread: LD come back... you can blame it all on me!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fuck with Bush going out,does that mean I can't use him in league play?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ok cool and shit he's my main weapon on O :(

Matrix

gg ck! thought i had it there but i can't recover fumbles :(

also that last 4th down i had i was freaking pressing the button to spike it but it didn't register. doubt my guys would have made it to the line in 9 seconds anyways.

shouldn't have come to that but thanks to this BS tip drill play i had a 2nd chance. i know ck would have been pissed about losing cause of that play :lol

david carr also made an appearance long enough to throw a red zone INT! just like old times matrix!

Matrix

"david carr also made an appearance long enough to throw a red zone INT! just like old times matrix!"

:lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FrenchMovieTheme said:
gg ck! thought i had it there but i can't recover fumbles :(

also that last 4th down i had i was freaking pressing the button to spike it but it didn't register. doubt my guys would have made it to the line in 9 seconds anyways.

shouldn't have come to that but thanks to this BS tip drill play i had a 2nd chance. i know ck would have been pissed about losing cause of that play :lol

david carr also made an appearance long enough to throw a red zone INT! just like old times matrix!
Well I deserved to lose that one. Three scores in 6 red zone trips is not good. I went with that draw late in the game because of that crap, so it worked out. Once again I get fucked on a play in which I am adjusting my D's and accidently run commit on a pass play.

That said, I feel like I am getting my mojo back. It will take a lot of work to even be in the playoff picture now.

Rorschach

League advances tomorrow, friends! What's up? :|

Cloudy said:
Who plays me next?
You still have to play MiG and Denogg, but you play me next. When are you free for your win?

[edit] Damn...NFC East is crazy again after a wobbly start. All the divisions except the NFC west have some competition going. The AFC North and Central calmed down. The North mostly because Bryan is MIA, but it's still a tight race between the Ravens and Steelers.

Rorschach

LJ11 said:
Mig, you free for our game?
I just messaged him 10 mins ago, but he didn't respond. His screen name is greyed out...says he's been idle for an hour and 38 mins. :[

So...I guess don't wait up. :|

LJ11

Rorschach said:
I just messaged him 10 mins ago, but he didn't respond. His screen name is greyed out...says he's been idle for an hour and 38 mins. :[

So...I guess don't wait up. :|

Thanks Rors!

Miguel

and so I'm back
from outer space
I just walked in to find you here
with that sad look upon your face
I should have changed my damn playbook
I should have made you fear my D
If I had known for just one second
you'd be back to score another TD

(That's for no one in particular...but I'm around...but you're probably not now...:lol)

Worst timing ever. :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
When is the week going to advance!!!

---

I think after this season I will be trading Madden in. I still have issues with the game and there is a lot of quality software coming out this holiday season.

Fifty

In 14 hours you went from getting your mojo back to retiring! Who got to you!? Trade ins are lame. Sports games are all the quality software you need. Join me in the land of casual gaming and forget about everything else.

Oh yeah, and the site, which people must not be checking, says that we're advancing today.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Fifty said:
In 14 hours you went from getting your mojo back to retiring! Who got to you!? Trade ins are lame. Sports games are all the quality software you need. Join me in the land of casual gaming and forget about everything else.

Oh yeah, and the site, which people must not be checking, says that we're advancing today.
There's no connection between playing better and being able to finish the season stronger than anticipated - and - not really wanting to own a game that I can still get good cash value for. I may trade this one in for NCAA to be honest.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wellington said:
There's no connection between playing better and being able to finish the season stronger than anticipated - and - not really wanting to own a game that I can still get good cash value for. I may trade this one in for NCAA to be honest.

Here's a time for a "DoIt.gif", but I don't want to find the image. Join the Better League. Follow Matrix to the Path of Glory.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Wellington said:

Yeah, come to the NCAA league. It is awesome.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Slo said:
Hey Wellie, can you link me to a post about your complaints about the game please? I'm just curious.
I'll go through them here. I'll spoiler them to because I don't think I need to defend them, so anyone that is still on EA/Tiburon's knob can just stop reading. Some of it is the same shit from years' past.

Off the field:
1) Terrible and laggy presentation causing issues with picking wrong plays/players etc.
2) Practice options are awful, it's not really practice when your best option is "random plays" on both sides
3) Real, dedicated league software like that in the 2K games.

On the field:
1) Man coverage is a complete joke
2) Max protection audibles and slide protection often don't work
3) For that matter, the entire interaction between O and D lines is brutal. The blocker recognition is awful and a good player can really take advantage of some things.
4) No team tendencies on O or D. To further that issue, playing with team tendencies will get you killed. Try being the Giants and playing the style that they do. (Lots of blitzing, lots of one on one for DBs)
5) Receiver warp speed to the ball, at the very least have the DBs warp with them.
6) Some RBs that can never be tackled by one guy. Look I know some guys are good, but what the fuck.

My number one issue is that a lot of strategy and planning goes out the window because all players feel and control exactly the same. I'm going to play Shawn in my next game exactly like I played FMT, which is exactly how I played Mig, and exactly how I play DM. On D I don't have to account for any DBs, they all play the same and none make outstanding plays. I didn't give a shit whether I was passing against Nate Clements & Walt Harris or the Rams secondary over my last two games. I don't care about players on the D-Line either because if you put a body on a body, no matter how uneven the matchup, it'll be a stalemate. Kwame Harris vs. Osi should not be an even matchup at any point ever. I understand I can't get a sack at any time I want, that's not my point, the point is that the other player should have to chip and double team to help out at least a couple of times. My D-Line, for example, when I go to four aces, gets stonewalled all the time even on third down and long when I bring the heat. If not for me playing on the line it would be just like facing any other line. The only players that really make a difference on the field and you have to account for are the good LBs. That's not football, that's a videogame. I may as well be playing FootBrawl with indistinct teams and players. The separation is supposed to be in the ratings, and, well what's the difference in our league between Gus Frerotte with Bernard Berrian and Sidney Rice versus Peyton Manning with Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison? In the hands of the same player I would wager not much.

That is my biggest issue. The more I tested the more I realized the lack of separation between a star player and a pedestrian one. As a result, player tendencies in our league don't even focus much on utilizing team strengths. For example, I don't throw a lot to Kevin Boss because it's just not what my team does in real life, the plays are there for me but I just don't use them. It doesn't handicap me in anyway, but then you have other players that have even shittier TEs than I do and they just keep feeding them the ball while having either stud receivers or stud RBs (I won't point out who to avoid drama). As a person that breathed Madden football for the simulation aspect, for the extra layer of strategy that the different weapons brought on, I am very disappointed this year. When they introduced the special icons, it was handled much better than it is in '09.

LiveWire

Hey guys I'm out of town until next Wednesday afternoon on a work trip, so luke and whomever else I play in the next two-three games please bear with me until I return. Thanks!

GQman2121

Banned
Wellington said:
I think after this season I will be trading Madden in. I still have issues with the game and there is a lot of quality software coming out this holiday season.

I'm in this boat too. GS is giving $35 for it as well, so it's an easy call for me.

LJ11

You made some valid points Wellie, especially with certain attributes not playing a big roll, or at least as much as they should.

I think a lot of the strategy is out the window because people refuse to run Man D, it's worthless. Taking out Man-Lock was a bad decision as well. I don't want to tip my D when/if I do decide to run man coverage. You're left with guys playing a lot of zone and using plays that defeat zone coverages.

That said, I like the D-O line play more than I did last year, Zone coverages are more realistic, and the Run game, which I hated at first, is pretty good.

I think they're on the right track with the game, speed needs to take on a bigger roll than it did in this years version, and QB accuracy needs to be toned down. The only differences I notice between Quarterbacks is arm strength, and that shouldn't be the case.

DMczaf

Man D isn't worthless. Rors has shut my shitty WRs down easily with Man D...mostly because my WRs are so slow that his DBs look like they are running the routes :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DMczaf said:
Man D isn't worthless. Rors has shut my shitty WRs down easily with Man D...mostly because my WRs are so slow that his DBs look like they are running the routes :(
Okay. Let me rephrase that.

Man D is worthless without CBs that aren't rated in the 90s facing off against scrub WRs.

I didn't think I had to say that.

LJ11

DMczaf said:

That's because Rors has the fastest secondary in the game, no disrespect to Rors, I've been on the receiving end of that man D. The slowest CB on the Raiders has a 93 speed, and he's their best corner. The next slowest is 96 IIRC, and they have an LB (Howard?) with 90 speed.

EA stealth updated Jabari Greer to 94 speed. I didn't notice it until after my game with FMT, Greer was making plays in man coverage that he would never make with his old 91 speed rating. I'll throw in man every once in a while because my secondary has decent speed, but if you have 90 speed DB's it's tough sledding in man coverage.

Mainly people aren't used to man being so ineffective relatively to what they got away with in the past. You could get away with running man all day in last years version even if your secondary was pretty slow, not the case this year. I just wish Man-Lock was still an option, tipping the D off before the snap hurts.

DCX

DCX
I do agree with Wellie on most of his points, using Atlanta i have the unfortunate distinction of being extremely predictable. The bulk of my plays with be runs with Turner with Norwood as a speed option and my passing attacks revolves around Roddy White. The problems is Roddy is no better than a bum WR and when people sit in an all day zone on passing downs because my RB and line can't do shit!, it becomes an int factory for me as i try to feed my only viable option in the passing game.

I was forced to check down to short routes across the middle and the flat with my blocking TE and Turner out of the backfield, not because i want to exploit because my non running game forces people to spotlight White and leave me no option.

Line play blows because i get no penetration with Abraham, my CB drop every int thrown to them and forces me to play an all out 20-25 yard zone, with a one to two man rush, and that doesn't last long.

I'm 1-8 and hating my experience of being shitty, but it's made worse when i'm a better Madden player than this, and my team is better than EA made them. Come season 2 or 3 the Falcons will be rated accordingly and by that time i won't be using them :p

I like Madden, but like games in general, it's give a little take a little. The perfect game is like a one console future, makes all the sense in the world, easy to do, but it makes no sense financially so we will never see it.

DCX

DMczaf

LJ11 said:
Mainly people aren't used to man being so ineffective relatively to what they got away with in the past. You could get away with running man all day in last years version even if your secondary was pretty slow, not the case this year. I just wish Man-Lock was still an option, tipping the D off before the snap hurts.

I was about to reply with that. This year, it seems that speed ratings and man coverage ratings matter much more than previous years (Speed probably matters even more). If you have great Man Coverage ratings and shitty speed, you're going to get burned. This is the first year I haven't been able to call Man Coverage because my team sucks ASS at it (Just like the real like Bucs :( ). My DBs are not that fast and have pretty average Man Coverage ratings, so I stick with Zones most of the time if I have to. Ronde especially is a joke when I call man coverage, he's no longer a Madden God :(

Fast DBs + pretty good Man Coverage ratings = successful man coverage plays...most of the time!

I'm looking at Rors' DBs

Man Coverage Rating
Hall - 90
Asomugha - 99
Routt - 84

Speed Rating
Hall - 97
Asomugha - 94
Routt - 97

Jesus.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Ltio Sheldon and Asante all have like a 94 in man coverage with 90-94 speed. guess thats why i can play man coverage too

I really wish EA would bring back the "Fair Play" rules. Considering how most of my games are being played against randoms, it would make the experience a little more tolerable. Playing randoms is a necessary evil as it kinda keeps me fresh in between official league games...

DMczaf

Shawnwhann said:
I really wish EA would bring back the "Fair Play" rules. Considering how most of my games are being played against randoms, it would make the experience a little more tolerable. Playing randoms is a necessary evil as it kinda keeps me fresh in between official league games...

The new lead designer of Madden 2010 actually created a thread about Fair Play back in August on Operation Sports, asking if they wanted it and how they would like to see it done. I'm guessing it might end up in 2010 if he was asking about it

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/264685-lets-talk-online-fair-play.html

Exactly my two biggest issues this year, you can't play man coverage and there is no man lock. I even miss the old lock on option to have one CB stay with a specidifc WR the entire game. Even with a high man coverage rating in speed I haven't seen a team consistently have success playing man coverage in this game and that's really a shame. If anyone seen the Colts vs. Packers game you would know good press man coverage can give an offense problems.

Rorschach

Actually, back when we played in the beginning of the season, Asomugha had 91 speed.

I play a lot like the Raiders of last year played: man to man on the outside; front four pressure. That's how my team is designed, though. The Bucs are designed for Tampa 2 and they play it better than the Raiders do.

And, btw, Hall is garbage...even when I give him help. There's a reason why he has so many tackles and only 2 pass deflections.

That said, the secret to why man works for me is because of the effective QB pressure. When I can't get pressure, I get beat easily. When I get in the QB's face, it's much harder for them to complete it and they'll probably throw a pick if they get it off. Most of the people I have played never get into rhythm because they feel my presence in there. I hate to tell you, but a lot of the time, it's not even real pressure. I'll be struggling with a guard 5 yards away and the other player will just "feel" me there and try to get out of the pocket or get rid of it sooner than they have to.

I would KILL to have some of your teams. It's looking more and more like there won't be a season 2 (judging by some of the posts and the recent unwillingness to play), but if there is, I'd be glad to take the Texans, Bills, Bucs, Giants, Jags, etc.

I'll play with the Titans! They have slow ass corners. We'll see if I can scrape together 1 win. :(

LJ11 said:
Exactly. Before, even the biggest scrub corner would be able to cover Chad Johnson 70% of the time. Man Lock needs to be here yesterday.

Fifty

Rorschach said:
Please play your games... or don't! I don't even care anymore!

I need to find a way for FMT to lose his job and break up with his girlfriend! I have a theory that the success of any given season is based on how many lectures/speeches he gives in the thread.

Actually, Rors, you live near him...find a way to destroy his life, for the sake of the league!

Rorschach

It's NCAA! He left us for a younger league. What's sad is that we still hang around on the side for some booty calls. He still loves us, though...right?!

Slo

Wellington said:
2) Practice options are awful, it's not really practice when your best option is "random plays" on both sides

That's my number one complaint, although I can't say I disagree with any of you others. However, I really, really like the improved running game as well as the ability to throw over the middle and "through" LBs that have poor awareness.

The separation is supposed to be in the ratings, and, well what's the difference in our league between Gus Frerotte with Bernard Berrian and Sidney Rice versus Peyton Manning with Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison? In the hands of the same player I would wager not much.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Top Bottom