• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the *NEW* Official Madden Xbox League Thread Season I: F U EA (Now with poll!)

Do you want 5 minute quarters, or 6 minute quarters?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JayFro

Banned
Fifty said:
Through an ancient ritual of wizardry and bias performed by yours truly. This early in the season it's a bit of a crapshoot, and wins count > stats for sure, plus I'm giving some early credit to those who did well in prior seasons.

Any chance the ancient rule of wizadry can be persuaded by a couple of ben franklins?

Slo

Since this is a manual process, I'd suggest that teams not move more than 3-4 places on a given week. No jumping from #17 to #1 based on a big win. :)

KingV

Andokuky

I need to schedule week 3 with you. I'm going out of town thursday evening sans Xbox so I basically need to do so today or tommorrow. Quickest way to get in touch with me is IM, name is SSNTom 80

Cloudy

we might want to schedule week 4 as well.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Fifty said:
Through an ancient ritual of wizardry and bias performed by yours truly. This early in the season it's a bit of a crapshoot, and wins count > stats for sure, plus I'm giving some early credit to those who did well in prior seasons.

And team used/team faced.

Azyuma just gave me a heck of a game. Eli threw TWO picks and AZ's D shut me down for the entire first half. I'm lovin' the new wave of GAF players, everyone is fucking good as hell. Coldblooded, just have a little bit of mercy on me, please.

Oh yeah, apart from Eli's suckitude was Burress's two HUGE drops, one in the endzone and I had to settle for the FG. Good job douche.

newsguy

JayFro said:
Newsguy,

When can you play our week 3 game? I'm available tonight and tomorrow night.

JayFro

How late tonight and tomorrow? I get off work at midnight eastern both days. I should be home to play around 12:30.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
FrenchMovieTheme said:
it works because a few people messaged me or pm'ed me stating they could get their week 3 games in tonight, but it would be difficult for them to get it in the next few days. so, i advanced it for the sake of those who had busy schedules in the upcoming days, not to slight you or dm. my apologies chum :D

also i didn't know when you guys planned on playing. i thought you had told me you were going to play monday (which i could be mistaken about), but then that didn't happen. so i had no idea whether you guys would even play tonight, thus not only not getting your game done but also not giving those who could play tonight the opportunity when the week would be advanced tomorrow without you guys playing anyways (which wasn't the case, but i saw no post in this thread about when, what, where, how, etc)

I think by advancing the week forward you jinxed me. Or my Duke controller. I got hammered on by DM. Not fun at all.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Yep, that one hurt my soul.

GG Fifty, you deserved it although I thought I could steal it for a bit.

Writeup coming later tonight after several stiff drinks.

Fifty

Yes that game was painful. It would have caused either one of us to drink. Some random highlights (warning, could hurt DJ's sanity)

- The ball bouncing off my WR Moore's head as he doesn't react

- 83 yard TD run by Jamal after seconds of mario running and then a sudden opening with no one around upfield

- 3rd and 27 in the redzone...DJ has the ball..He throws into double (triple perhaps) coverage in the middle of the field....We randomly attack the ball, and it's tipped right to Gardner! He's at the 3 now...first and goal, and he easily runs it in to send it to OT...If I had lost in OT this play would have sent me to the shrink for months to come

Much respect to DJ after this

JayFro

Banned
newsguy said:
How late tonight and tomorrow? I get off work at midnight eastern both days. I should be home to play around 12:30.

I can play tonight 12:30est time, I don't work tomorrow so late night football isn't a problem. Let's get this baby in!

JayFro

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Fifty said:
Yes that game was painful. It would have caused either one of us to drink. Some random highlights (warning, could hurt DJ's sanity)

- The ball bouncing off my WR Moore's head as he doesn't react

- 83 yard TD run by Jamal after seconds of mario running and then a sudden opening with no one around upfield

- 3rd and 27 in the redzone...DJ has the ball..He throws into double (triple perhaps) coverage in the middle of the field....We randomly attack the ball, and it's tipped right to Gardner! He's at the 3 now...first and goal, and he easily runs it in to send it to OT...If I had lost in OT this play would have sent me to the shrink for months to come

Much respect to DJ after this

:lol sounds like the same thing that happened to my and azyuma

hgplayer1

im tempted to not fucking record stats for this game i just played against the redskins.

fucker calls a TO with like 30 seconds left up 24-3 so ill have to punt even though I wasnt calling time outs to try to kill the clock and i ran the ball 3 straight times. i just wanted the fucking game to be over when are you idiots gonna get that shit through your thick ass skulls. so i dont convert the 4th down and he gets the ball in my end of the field. does he kill the clock? no he throws it in the end zone for a TD to put him up 31-3.

by the way if any of you play the deadskins be prepared for misdirection runs for automatic 5 yard gains over and over. also i cant believe some of the 3rd and longs he converted throwing into double coverage.

now should i turn off my xbox or not. halo is waiting on me.

JayFro

Banned
hgplayer1 said:
im tempted to not fucking record stats for this game i just played against the redskins.

fucker calls a TO with like 30 seconds left up 24-3 so ill have to punt even though I wasnt calling time outs to try to kill the clock and i ran the ball 3 straight times. i just wanted the fucking game to be over when are you idiots gonna get that shit through your thick ass skulls. so i dont convert the 4th down and he gets the ball in my end of the field. does he kill the clock? no he throws it in the end zone for a TD to put him up 31-3.

by the way if any of you play the deadskins be prepared for misdirection runs for automatic 5 yard gains over and over. also i cant believe some of the 3rd and longs he converted throwing into double coverage.

Ruh roh shaggy, that ain't cool up 24-3 and calling a TO with 30 seconds left just to pad the stats. I could have done a similar thing in my week 2 game, but I simply took a knee a few times when I could have easily kicked a 35 yard field goal.

I don't suppose you want to try to get our week 4 game in a bit early, this weekend I'll probably be gone from Friday through Monday.

JayFro

DJ_Tet

Banned
Be the bigger man and let the commish's do their job.

Record the stats and for christs sake people don't run up the score.

That's bush league if that's true, and I don't want people like that IN the league. They don't deserve it.

btw thanks for the props Fifty. That 3rd and 27 was some bull, but it happens, just like an 83 yard run :(

Bullshit happens, but people exploiting game flaws and running up the score doesn't/shouldn't. I hope you record your stats HG, and I hope the deadskin owner faces some sort of retribution if true.

If nothing else, it shows his true character.

hgplayer1

JayFro said:
Ruh roh shaggy, that ain't cool up 24-3 and calling a TO with 30 seconds left just to pad the stats. I could have done a similar thing in my week 2 game, but I simply took a knee a few times when I could have easily kicked a 35 yard field goal.

I don't suppose you want to try to get our week 4 game in a bit early, this weekend I'll probably be gone from Friday through Monday.

JayFro

nah jay theres no way im playin another game tonight but tomorrow or thursday for sure

JayFro

Banned
hgplayer1 said:
nah jay theres no way im playin another game tonight but tomorrow or thursday for sure

Ok, lets shoot for tomorrow or Thursday night, I can only play til 10pm or so Wednesday night, but Thursday I can play til late. Let me know what you want to do. I'm off of work all day tomorrow.

JayFro

guys, dont run the score up. that's not good sportsmanship. i understand you want to drive the ball if you can drive it, but your opponent is already losing. be satisfied with your win and move on.

i want to apologize to CP for scoring with under a minute left when the game was wrapped up. even though you were still calling timeouts when i was trying to run the clock out, i still should have just run the ball and kicked a fg or punted or whatever. that was a shitty thing of me to do and it wont happen again. i apologize

so to conclude, i dont want to hear anymore of running up the score. it's crappy enough to get blown out, dont rub it in guys. consider it an official league rule from this point forward, it's just good sportsmanship.

hgplayer1

FrenchMovieTheme said:
guys, dont run the score up. that's not good sportsmanship. i understand you want to drive the ball if you can drive it, but your opponent is already losing. be satisfied with your win and move on.

i want to apologize to CP for scoring with under a minute left when the game was wrapped up. even though you were still calling timeouts when i was trying to run the clock out, i still should have just run the ball and kicked a fg or punted or whatever. that was a shitty thing of me to do and it wont happen again. i apologize

so to conclude, i dont want to hear anymore of running up the score. it's crappy enough to get blown out, dont rub it in guys. consider it an official league rule from this point forward, it's just good sportsmanship.

its not even so much that he scored on me again its that he called timeouts to do it. the game should have been over and he wasted my time pulling that shit. heres a run down of the last drive.

2 plays 23 yards. he ran the ball for 7 yards called a time out then threw it in the end zone. time of possesion 9 seconds.

i was so pissed at the whole game anyway watching 3 defensive linemen run straight through my o line and put pressure or sack me. watching him convert some long ass 3rd downs and watching those fucking counter plays work almost every damn time. the thing was it was only 10 -3 until i threw that INT in the 4th to put him up 17-3 so i felt ok all things considering that I was gonna lose.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
hgplayer1 said:

carlito2oy.jpg

Das not cool

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
FrenchMovieTheme said:

Well, I don't plan on running up the score but be warned now that I have lost 2 games in row in the 4th QTR with double digit leads. I am going to play more agressive with the lead from now on. I won't be calling time out to save the clock or anything lame like that, but I will keep on passing from now on.

DCX

DCX
I guess i should apologize myself to Malleymal. I tried to work on my two minute drill even though i was losing big time, i called timeout when Malleymal was running the clock down...i'm sorry for that...

DCX

JayFro

Banned
Good game newsguy, but WTF on that 35 yard completion in the 4th to put you in field goal range and I cause 3 fumbles but don't recover a single one. You played smart, it was fun.

JayFro

newsguy

JayFro said:
Good game newsguy, but WTF on that 35 yard completion in the 4th to put you in field goal range and I cause 3 fumbles but don't recover a single one. You played smart, it was fun.

JayFro

I noticed you didn't get those fumbles. You should have had the one near your endzone for sure. I was pulling my hairs out early on cause I dropped like 2 INT's and you were moving the ball well. After I missed the FG I thought you had the game. GG though, I can see you've studied under the FMT school of defensive stinginess, a school that I attended as well :D

EDIT: and I heard you yell WTF!!!! near the end, that's why I don't use the mic. In times of frustration I curse like a sailor.

Ramirez

Take them over if you wish,I refuse to record stats when I get the same plays run on me,and then he scores another TD with like a minute left by passing when I was clearly trying to end the game as quickly as possible. -_-

Like I've said a million times before,I don't care if I lose,I know I'm going to before I even play,it's just how I lose with people using same plays and abusing TEs and running up the score,meh whatever.

JayFro

Banned
newsguy said:
I noticed you didn't get those fumbles. You should have had the one near your endzone for sure. I was pulling my hairs out early on cause I dropped like 2 INT's and you were moving the ball well. After I missed the FG I thought you had the game. GG though, I can see you've studied under the FMT school of defensive stinginess, a school that I attended as well :D

EDIT: and I heard you yell WTF!!!! near the end, that's why I don't use the mic. In times of frustration I curse like a sailor.

Yeah, sorry about that WTF but I was trying to pass the ball and my QB just kept shuffling around until he finally got sacked for a loss. Sometimes I want to rip out that R trigger! :lol
At least if I hadn't taken that sack I would have had a chance for a field goal, that darn clock ran out on me once I got to midfield.

I usually don't play risky defense, I throw in the blitz once in a while but my big thing is just to avoid giving up big plays. If I can do that I'll be ok, but you still managed to hit me with about 3-4 30 yard plus bombs. Lonestar was very helpful the other day on the ins and outs of offense, that helped me quite a bit and now I at least feel competent passing and running the ball. The crappy thing is I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of this game now, but I'm 1-2 and I need to have a great record from this point on to make the playoffs.

That was pretty intense at the end when you had to kick that field goal with that view and heart beat thing going nuts. I was hoping for a miss and it almost sailed wide right. I look forward to the rematch in Cincy.

JayFro

Ramirez

Well Frenchie never replied to me on AIM,but like I said on there,I would love to continue playing my games,but I really do not give a shit about my stats being recorded,I mean does anyone oppose to me not putting them in?

Just to set things straight against Ramirez, I don't see why your crying about losing the 2nd game. You won the first game before our disconnect and YOU were the one doing repetitive pass plays the whole game. So once we had our rematch I only did the same split back play giving me a touchdown about 3 times the whole game. It's not like I took advantage of a money making play and repeated it every down. Heck I even FLIPPED a play over so it wouldn't be the same play again, and you can ask coldblooded I never do that in a game unless its a running play.
Also going for it in the fourth quarter was not my intention, and there was 3 minutes left on the clock and I scored on accident, I'm not gonna pass the ball and be wide open and just stop to let you tackle me, I need my stats too!
It was a good game but you really were meant to lose if you thought running it 239 times in a row was going to help you win, there is passing in the game too you know.

ramirez it is required to enter your player/game stats, you knew that from the start. i dont have a problem with anyone calling anyone out for perceived or actual cheesy play, but the way you went about it was all wrong.

let me ask you this, would you have complained if he ran the same 5 plays and you won 50-0? the answer is no. icedragon has been beaten (badly, no loss) by people in this league. maybe he just had your number in that game. hell, you beat him youself before your game got disconnected! you didn't have a problem with him using the same 6 plays then did you?

there is no reason for you to play in the league if you aren't going to be reliable. if you can't deal with losing and you're going to protest entering your stats because you have some moral objection to doing that when you feel like you've been cheesed, then fine, wait for the official EA leagues to come up so it will automatically record the stats for you. you know what this league is all about, and it's not all about a shitty little standings chart with wins and losses

Slo

Jesus people, stop fucking running up the score. That's a major pet peeve of mine. On the flip side, if you're getting blown out don't call timeouts unless you want your opponent to keep bringing the heat.

And WTF @ Ramirez. Either play by the league rules or quit already.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Jason's done that shit multiple times. Maybe he thinks he's allowed to because he was so bad last year, but it's BS. It's annoying as fucking hell to extend a game longer than it should go, people have shit to do and they still need to enter stats.

I have kicked FGs near the end though, so I am not entirely guilt free. :( I had to kick one last night because I did not want Azyuma to get the ball back (There was a discrepancy in the play clock and game clock on fourth down at the end of the game). :( Sorry buddy. :(

I foresee myself losing my next five in a row, beginning with a thrashing from ColdBlooded and the Chargers. This will definitely not be fun. :( Good bye playoffs hello NFC Central cellar. :(

Also: I WISH people would run the same play on me again and again. That'd be sweet. :D I don't see how Ramirez can claim that as a problem.

newsguy

Wellington said:
I foresee myself losing my next five in a row, beginning with a thrashing from ColdBlooded and the Chargers. This will definitely not be fun. :( Good bye playoffs hello NFC Central cellar. :(

Also: I WISH people would run the same play on me again and again. That'd be sweet. :D I don't see how Ramirez can claim that as a problem.
Aren't you 3-0 Wellie? I think you're using this modesty to your advantage :lol
And trust me, you do not want someone to run the fake FB, HB toss on you multiple times. I hate that fucking play SO MUCH, it's instant yards and people in the league know it.

Fifty

It is? Someone should tell my players, because when I've run it the last 3 or so times it's been stopped for a loss :(

Slo

newsguy said:
And trust me, you do not want someone to run the fake FB, HB toss on you multiple times. I hate that fucking play SO MUCH, it's instant yards and people in the league know it.

It's instant yards if the D is cramming the middle on short yardage. But...isnt' that kind of the point of the play?

Addendum: I know we consider spreading the D-line to be cheese, but that seems like an appropriate thing to do when trying to stop sweeps and tosses, doesn't it? Should we think about qualifying this rule so that spreading the line is only cheddar in long yardage or obvious passing situations? Thoughts? Bueller?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
newsguy said:

What modesty? I started Season 3 last year with the Bills at I think 4-0, then lost like three in a row. Also, being a Giants fan, I know ALL about late season collapses. I am considering everyone to be the defending superbowl champ. Anything can happen, I am playing hard from start of a game until the end!

You're 3-0 also, buddy. With a significantly better defense might I add. ;)

I gameplanned specifically to stop that stupid fucking misdirection play against DJ, and it burned me big that he never used it. What I did was that I would playmaker my RE out towards the flats when the offense lined up in the split-backs formation or whatever it was called. What ended up happening was that he ran right to where the opening was. Whether he did it intentionally or not, it worked. :(

Anyone else finding themselves spending WAY too much time on leaguedaddy?

Let's get these last few games wrapped up. A quick week advance would be awesome. :D

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I would like to take the time to bring notice to DCX.... I wish that we had more guys like him in the league... He had quite a few bad breaks in our game and even with an 0-3 record he is still playing and having fun.. He entered all his stats for the game and EVEN WROTE A NEWS ARTICLE... thats what the league should be about, having fun, regardless of if you win by 20 or lose by 20. .

and dont worry about calling the timeouts DCX i wasnt even thinking about it..

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Who do I play next? :lol

Actually, it seems that my ISP connection is working fine now. I wouldn't have felt right playing in a league with a crappy connection. Maybe next season I'll get in.

Andokuky

Banned
I love that FB fake/HB toss play but it rarely works for me. Even when the defense crams the middle, my WR will completely miss a block and as soon as I start to run the CB is in my face. I've found runs up the middle are much better.

Slo

I know in 2005 the play was extremely fumble prone, and this year it will easily get blown up by a blitzing outside linebacker.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I love all the whining about running up the score. I'm sorry if anyone ever feels like I do that. It would never be intentional and seeing as I can score in our league games luckily no one feels like that today :D. But sucks it up people. Sure don't be a dick and call timeouts so you can run up the score, but if any of you think I will not take a wide open lane or run a wide open pass in for a TD at the end of a game that I might be winning handedly you are poorly mistaken. If you think you would see a WR that just caught a wide open pass that could be run for a TD slow down so he can get tackled then you gots some issues with ideals about competition.
I can recall getting beaten by more than 50 points in one game last year. I never conceded, I even called timeouts so I could get the ball back from the opponent that was raping me.
Competition is competition. If we were in the gym playing a little 1on1 basketball in a game up to 11. My goal is not to beat you by 1, it is to beat you by 11. Period.
If a team that is beating me can still find ways to score even when they are up, well then my defense must suck some serious ass or I need some more practice. Period.

I know how this conversation started. I would have wanted to jump through my TV and choke the snot out of Demon for pulling that crap. I probably would have yanked the cord or something but I'm talking about normal situations. I expect that whoever I am playing is playing to win and is concentrating on that and not my feelings about a video game.

Just for the record though. Demon has got the be the jetpack freakin champ. I have yet to play against a GAFer that knows how to abuse money plays better than him. My game with him was very frustrating. I watched him throw into double and triple coverage several times with his top WR and come down with the ball. It sucked. But I didn't help myself by throwing interceptions and fumbleing the ball away.

DCX

DCX
Malleymal said:
I would like to take the time to bring notice to DCX.... I wish that we had more guys like him in the league... He had quite a few bad breaks in our game and even with an 0-3 record he is still playing and having fun.. He entered all his stats for the game and EVEN WROTE A NEWS ARTICLE... thats what the league should be about, having fun, regardless of if you win by 20 or lose by 20. .

and don't worry about calling the timeouts DCX i wasn't even thinking about it..
Thanks man. The timeouts bothered me because, like most people have mentioned we are getting these games in but not knowing the circumstances in the manner that we are. Alot of us are parents, work weird schedules and have lives basically and for me or anyone for that matter "delay" the end of a game is weak. I realized this only after the game...i mean it's hard enough to get the game in and record the stats but at 1AM i should have been better about that. I'll get my practice time in against the CPU, once again sorry for that Malleymal. Thank you for your kind words...i will try to work on my flaws...the good thing is i know my flaws, which in essence would make it easier to work on them. I think by the end of the year i should be a 50% better player, and by season 2 i should be middle of the road or borderline elite :)

DCX

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Addendum: I know we consider spreading the D-line to be cheese, but that seems like an appropriate thing to do when trying to stop sweeps and tosses, doesn't it? Should we think about qualifying this rule so that spreading the line is only cheddar in long yardage or obvious passing situations? Thoughts? Bueller?

I still dislike the fact that it's not allowed. It's what the slide protection was introduced for. I bet it seems like unnatural pressure because everyone, and I mean everyone rolls out when they pass. The only real real REAL pocket passer in the league is probably Gunstar. You roll out, the DE's that are attacking outside will eat you up. I don't think the spread D-Line is BS at all, and this is coming from someone with a horrible OLine.

Fifty

Yeah I don't mind it either......It always seemed to be stopped when I saw it done, both for me and against me....provided the passer stayed in the pocket. I was surprised to see the poll results were so uneven voting against it.

Top Bottom