• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the *NEW* Official Madden Xbox League Thread Season I: F U EA (Now with poll!)

Do you want 5 minute quarters, or 6 minute quarters?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slo

Truelize said:
I love all the whining about running up the score. I'm sorry if anyone ever feels like I do that. It would never be intentional and seeing as I can score in our league games luckily no one feels like that today :D. But sucks it up people. Sure don't be a dick and call timeouts so you can run up the score, but if any of you think I will not take a wide open lane or run a wide open pass in for a TD at the end of a game that I might be winning handedly you are poorly mistaken. If you think you would see a WR that just caught a wide open pass that could be run for a TD slow down so he can get tackled then you gots some issues with ideals about competition.

I don't think anyone is asking for people to let themselves get tackled. It's just that you should ramp it down when blowing someone out in the 4th quarter. Run the ball, try to go on a long sustained drive to burn the clock, and kneel the ball when it's under a minute. No long bombs, no calling time outs. Just play conservatively. If you still score on them, oh well.

Competition is competition. If we were in the gym playing a little 1on1 basketball in a game up to 11. My goal is not to beat you by 1, it is to beat you by 11. Period.
If a team that is beating me can still find ways to score even when they are up, well then my defense must suck some serious ass or I need some more practice. Period.

Well, I guess I just disagree with you. Having a fighting spirit is great but when I'm getting blown out, I'd rather not have to sit through 25 more minutes of being a punching bag for somebody. If they go up on me by 28 in the first half, they've pretty much proved their point. There's no need to drag it out. How about if you're up by 30, you put your backups in and keep firing with both barrels?

Myself, I find a lot of satisfaction in running the clock out on someone. I don't mean milking the clock for the entire second half, I mean controlling the ball and shoving it down their throat. There's something very satisfying about a 10 play, 3 minute drive that ends with me downing the ball on their goaline.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Slo said:
I don't think anyone is asking for people to let themselves get tackled. It's just that you should ramp it down when blowing someone out in the 4th quarter. Run the ball, try to go on a long sustained drive to burn the clock, and kneel the ball when it's under a minute. No long bombs, no calling time outs. Just play conservatively. If you still score on them, oh well.

That's what I meant. If I'm running the ball late in the 4th I'm not gonna try and lose yards I'm still gonna be running the plays. If I happen to break free though I'm not gonna slide in the ground.

Slo said:
Well, I guess I just disagree with you. Having a fighting spirit is great but when I'm getting blown out, I'd rather not have to sit through 25 more minutes of being a punching bag for somebody. If they go up on me by 28 in the first half, they've pretty much proved their point. There's no need to drag it out. How about if you're up by 30, you put your backups in and keep firing with both barrels?

Myself, I find a lot of satisfaction in running the clock out on someone. I don't mean milking the clock for the entire second half, I mean controlling the ball and shoving it down their throat. There's something very satisfying about a 10 play, 3 minute drive that ends with me downing the ball on their goaline.

No I think the same way as what you've said here. I was just trying to make a point. I don't expect a team to start playing soft on me. That bothers me more than anything. How am I supposed to know if I'm actually catching up due to my skill or if my oppenant is trying to be nice? I ask FMT and Wellie this after any game where I do well against them. I always assume they are playing really conservatively.
And unlike you if I make it to the goaline, the ball is going in if it can. I would not expect anything less than that from anyone else. Throwing 30 yard bombs and scoring that way would upset me, but if a team runs it down my throat, dominates the ball and plays well enough to get another score. Well regardless of the lead they already have they better be trying to put it in the endzone, cause I'm dang well gonna work my hardset to keep them out. And like I said earlier if I actually succeed in keeping a team from scoring I want to know it's because I played well and made good play calls. Not because someone went all soft on me.
There is way too much softness in our worlds today. Please don't bring that crap into the world of football. Video game or real world. :lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
True, there is something wrong with you. Nothing that Shaun couldn't fix.

I've knelt on the ball inside the 10 yard line almost all the time, even in relatively close games. Except that one time against Ror...

newsguy

Wellington said:
What modesty? I started Season 3 last year with the Bills at I think 4-0, then lost like three in a row. Also, being a Giants fan, I know ALL about late season collapses. I am considering everyone to be the defending superbowl champ. Anything can happen, I am playing hard from start of a game until the end!

You're 3-0 also, buddy. With a significantly better defense might I add. ;)

Wellie, I didn't mean the modesty comment seriously, I was joking cause you have a good record and you're saying you're going to lose 5 straight. In my case the 3-0 record stems from 2 very close games that could've gone either way. I'm not even sure how I'm winning, I was sucking massive balls in the NCAA league. About the fake FB, HB toss thing, I can't seem to stop it either. Sometimes my safety gets there, but for the most part my guys get beat to the outside.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
newsguy said:
Wellie, I didn't mean the modesty comment seriously, I was joking cause you have a good record and you're saying you're going to lose 5 straight. In my case the 3-0 record stems from 2 very close games that could've gone either way. I'm not even sure how I'm winning, I was sucking massive balls in the NCAA league. About the fake FB, HB toss thing, I can't seem to stop it either. Sometimes my safety gets there, but for the most part my guys get beat to the outside.

I didn't take it seriously. :D

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Lonestar said:

I've knelt on the ball inside the 10 yard line almost all the time, even in relatively close games. Except that one time against Ror...

I've been raped by Shawn before. :lol Bring it on man. I take meds for the nightmares he gives me already. :D

DCX

DCX
Not to defend anyone, but if you look at Trulize's offense this year he is averaging 8.5 pts a game, only HG and me are worst and trust us when we say, if we can score...we will becuase nothing is easy for us :D

With that said, running up the score isn't cool...scoring while trying to run down the clock is just part of the game...i mean i have had players online have a 35-14 lead and try to run the clock down and score on a 65yd run :lol I laughed at that, i deserved that...i would expect him to dive after 10 yds just to keep the clock going and the drive alive...that's just me though.

DCX

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
DCX said:
Not to defend anyone, but if you look at Trulize's offense this year he is averaging 8.5 pts a game, only HG and me are worst and trust us when we say, if we can score...we will becuase nothing is easy for us :D

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell everyone that. They probably wouldn't have even noticed if you didn't bring it up. Come on man, I have the Falcons. Don't embarasss me more by pointing out that I can't score with them. :lol

hgplayer1

Truelize said:
I love all the whining about running up the score. I'm sorry if anyone ever feels like I do that. It would never be intentional and seeing as I can score in our league games luckily no one feels like that today :D. But sucks it up people. Sure don't be a dick and call timeouts so you can run up the score, but if any of you think I will not take a wide open lane or run a wide open pass in for a TD at the end of a game that I might be winning handedly you are poorly mistaken. If you think you would see a WR that just caught a wide open pass that could be run for a TD slow down so he can get tackled then you gots some issues with ideals about competition.
I can recall getting beaten by more than 50 points in one game last year. I never conceded, I even called timeouts so I could get the ball back from the opponent that was raping me.
Competition is competition. If we were in the gym playing a little 1on1 basketball in a game up to 11. My goal is not to beat you by 1, it is to beat you by 11. Period.
If a team that is beating me can still find ways to score even when they are up, well then my defense must suck some serious ass or I need some more practice. Period.

I know how this conversation started. I would have wanted to jump through my TV and choke the snot out of Demon for pulling that crap. I probably would have yanked the cord or something but I'm talking about normal situations. I expect that whoever I am playing is playing to win and is concentrating on that and not my feelings about a video game.

Just for the record though. Demon has got the be the jetpack freakin champ. I have yet to play against a GAFer that knows how to abuse money plays better than him. My game with him was very frustrating. I watched him throw into double and triple coverage several times with his top WR and come down with the ball. It sucked. But I didn't help myself by throwing interceptions and fumbleing the ball away.

since you mentioned it, he was jetpacking on his pass plays. Id rather not even bring this up as any kind of gripe against him because I know that it can be done unintentionally if youre used to passing that way from last years game. ive even seen my receivers do it when i simply lob the pass with no movement on the stick, but every big play he converted i swear his receiver was up in the air snatching the ball. a couple of them happened in double coverage.

let me restate that I dont care about what the final score ended up being. what upset me was the fact that he blatantly called time outs to extend the game at least another 5 minutes more than it had to last and tried to score. it should have been extremely obvious that i was not trying to move the ball anymore. i called run plays and never called time outs.

if he would have run those exact same plays and never bothered to call a timeout and still scored then i might have just been a little pissed that he tried to pad his stats but probably wouldnt have even bothered to mention it on the forum. I think everyone understands where Im coming from so I wont keep rambling on about it. I just cant believe after all the leagues and tournaments that someone still doesnt understand the concepts of sportsmanship and obligation to not waste peoples time with unnecessary bullshit.

JayFro

Banned
Week 3 of....

days.jpg

Ramirez

Please tell me what plays I ran all the time,I'd love to hear that,I pick pretty much all of my plays randomly because I have no clue about my playbook this year,heh.

So yea,guess I'm done,the whole stats thing never tickled my fancy really,you guys know I'm reliable and play legit so I'd appreciate it if you took any comments that stated otherwise and shove'em :D

Ramirez

Cuz I wanted to play in a good sim league maybe?Cuz I've enjoyed playin with the core group of guys the past 3 years?I dunno,maybe that's why...:lol

JayFro

Banned
Ramirez said:
Cuz I wanted to play in a good sim league maybe?Cuz I've enjoyed playin with the core group of guys the past 3 years?I dunno,maybe that's why...:lol

So are you saying the game is broken? Or do you just think people are abusing certain plays?

IMO we should be able to spread the D line if we want.

Slo

JayFro said:
So are you saying the game is broken? Or do you just think people are abusing certain plays?

IMO we should be able to spread the D line if we want.

In 2005 spreading the DLine and doing the outside rush pretty much destroyed the AI pass blocking. I don't know if this is the case again this year, but it was very cheesy.

(And yes, I was guilty of it too. :))

JayFro

Banned
Slo said:
In 2005 spreading the DLine and doing the outside rush pretty much destroyed the AI pass blocking. I don't know if this is the case again this year, but it was very cheesy.

(And yes, I was guilty of it too. :))

I see I see, it just seems it would open up the run game through the middle, unless the linebackers were coming on the blitz.

Slo

JayFro said:
I see I see, it just seems it would open up the run game through the middle, unless the linebackers were coming on the blitz.

Right, but the problem is in the 2 minute drill, where a 9 yard draw play doesn't do you any good. It kinda made passing situations unrealistic when 4 down lineman can bring that much pressure.

JayFro

Banned
Slo said:
Right, but the problem is in the 2 minute drill, where a 9 yard draw play doesn't do you any good. It kinda made passing situations unrealistic when 4 down lineman can bring that much pressure.

I see I see. So what happens with the Steelers? If Ramirez is out who takes his place?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I wouldn't mind getting in a few games with the Steelers from time to time if they are left open. I need the practice now that I'm gonna be using the S controller due to the death of my last Duke (Truelize am cry).
Maybe we can convince Dskillztown to take over the Steelers. He should be playing with us anyways.

JayFro

Banned
Truelize said:
I wouldn't mind getting in a few games with the Steelers from time to time if they are left open. I need the practice now that I'm gonna be using the S controller due to the death of my last Duke (Truelize am cry).
Maybe we can convince Dskillztown to take over the Steelers. He should be playing with us anyways.

I was thinking the same thing, nobody takes over the steelers I would play some of the games because I need practice as well.

dskillz you can have the patriots or steelers. the choice of 0-3 teams is yours!

p.s. i am using the steelers for the time being. no hard feelings ramirez, but you knew what this league was about LONG before you ever committed to joining. just seems to me that you were tanking it with the steelers you didn't want to report stats. i guess that's understandable but it's not very admirable. i played week 3 against DM, and the problem with the steelers is that if you use their default playbook their D is total garbage as they only have 3-4 D. their offense is actually really good (although it doesn't hurt that even the bucs 4th CB is apparently an all pro covering 5 yards in milliseconds but that is another issue altogether) :D

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
How the heck did DM rack up 49 points with the Bucs against you FMT using the Steelers :| Now watch when I play you in week 4 I'll get my ass kicked...I smell a bought win by DM :p

How the heck did DM rack up 49 points with the Bucs against you FMT using the Steelers :| Now watch when I play you in week 4 I'll get my ass kicked...I smell a bought win by DM :p

nah it was legit. i picked the steelers default playbook which is 3-4, which doesn't defend the run well unless you blitz. dm didn't do anything special, he'd throw deep lobs to galloway for touchdowns (4 catches 4 TD's for galloway). somehow the cb couldn't keep up with stone hands galloway!

when i play dm in the playoffs with the niners he is going to get a hurtin put on him.... just like i did in the preseason.

p.s. one thing i do agree w/ ramiez about: steelers db's can't catch for shit. i dropped 3 or 4 easy INT's. your qb rating is a fraud dm!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Since I am starting in a 0-3 hole, I will take the Pats. Steelers sound just like the Texans, lol.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I will say that I was upset to see the score for the Bucs/Steelers game. The thought had crossed my mind that FMT just gave DM the win, which would have been BS.

There are a couple of other players that do use the jetpacking to their advantage, but what are ya gonna do...? All you can do is take it really. I'll admit sometimes it comes out for me, but it's completely by mistake. I will, however, pass OVER zones without lobbing it thanks to the added accuracy. Make no mistake about that!

Mrbob

Ramirez said:

You're the one overreacting and throwing it all away.

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
p.s. one thing i do agree w/ ramiez about: steelers db's can't catch for shit. i dropped 3 or 4 easy INT's. your qb rating is a fraud dm!

If it wasnt for your lucky sack, Griese would have had back-to-back Perfect QB Rating games!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Lonestar said:
I need to know what "Jetpacking" is. Haven't kept up with these names.

Pushing up on the stick when throwing into a crowd. At times this can force the WR to "jetpack" to a height that is unguardable getting a guaranteed reception. Players that use this deliberately will usually use it on 3rd and long attempts and it will usually be to their top receiver. I see a lot of Oakland users online using this with Randy Moss. It's quite obvious when you have the WR double-teamed and and then control a third defender to crowd the WR and he still catches it. Mistake on EA's part on this but most of us do our best to not do it deliberately. It will happen, guaranteed. But if it happens a lot you are probably playing against someone that has figured out how to take advantage of it.

Matrix: my trip got delayed a day so if you can play tonight I'm around. Hit me on AIM.

Ramirez

I use the default because they do not run a 4-3 in real life,why would I want to use something that they do not use? hehe

Perhaps it isn't admirable,but I didn't find the playstyle that was being used on me to be admirable either,but whatever floats your boat :p And Bob,Im not overreacting or mad or anything,I just made the suggestion that I would love to continue,but I just don't care about stats,it's pointless to me and waste of time.

Slo

I'm afraid that my receivers jetpack quite a bit accidentally. :( Whenever I step into my throws the jump ball animation takes over. I'll work on it so it doesn't happen as much, but everyone should know that I'm not doing it intentionally.

Coldblooded33, is 10PM central still good for you?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Slo said:
I'm afraid that my receivers jetpack quite a bit accidentally. :( Whenever I step into my throws the jump ball animation takes over. I'll work on it so it doesn't happen as much, but everyone should know that I'm not doing it intentionally.

Coldblooded33, is 10PM central still good for you?

Yup

KingV

FMV

My intergay went out last night in the middle of my game with Cloudy. It was 4th quarter, and he was definitely going to win, but I have no stats for that game since it did not want me to play out the rest of the quarter (presumably because my internet was shot?). It was week 4, should it just be replayed, or... what?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
dskillzhtown said:
Since I am starting in a 0-3 hole, I will take the Pats.Steelers sound just like the Texans, lol.

:( Yea I'm dealing with the same shit Ram has,but I guess I'm not letting it get to me as much as it got to him.

True I'm around now if you want to play.

I use the default because they do not run a 4-3 in real life,why would I want to use something that they do not use? hehe

perhaps to stand a chance to win the game??

Perhaps it isn't admirable,but I didn't find the playstyle that was being used on me to be admirable either,but whatever floats your boat :p And Bob,Im not overreacting or mad or anything,I just made the suggestion that I would love to continue,but I just don't care about stats,it's pointless to me and waste of time.

you don't find it admirable because you were beat. there was clearly no game breaking glitch used, and no "unstoppable money play" being used. you couldn't stop him and you think that is bullcrap. guess what, he can be stopped and has been stopped. it's not about how you personally felt about his playstyle, it's your reaction to it. if kingV gets beat 41-0 to fifty, and still reports all of his stats, why should we expect anything less from you? i know you think stats are a waste of time, which is why you talked yourself out of the league at this point. i know you are a dependable, legit player, but you can't just throw a tantrum in week 2 because you got beat and think stats are a waste of time.

i know you are frustrated with your team and your play results, but it is your own fault. frankly i dont know how ANYONE can succeed on offense without using the default setup for this year. you were once an elite player and now you have trouble just staying in games even against new people (even though in fairness a lot of the new people are really good). it's tough to deal with but that is the reality of the situation if you're going to use the crappy setup from last year. it might be different if this was the first time you'd ever pulled something like this, but like clockwork EVERY madden season we've ever run you have went on this poutfest about how you were BS'ed and want to quit and so on and so on, so im not sure it comes as much of a shock to a lot of us.

i would never permanently kick out a dependable player who truly wanted to play in the league under the league rules. so if and when you are ready to do that, you are welcomed back. but that crap you pulled about not wanting to report stats because you think you were cheesed is the last time it will happen if you do want back in.

p.s. guys, for week 4 i want to do a test. i am allowing defensive line spread and i want to see what everyones reaction is to it. i will have another vote after week 4. it has been brought to my attention that it's very difficult to stop the run in some situations without using it. so, let me reiterate, for week 4 and week 4 only the defensive line spread is legal. try it out, see how it works for you and against you and post your thoughts here. then we will have another vote.

CB3

Yeah i rarely use 3-4. its garbage in stopping the run. Its has some good pass D plays but thats about it.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
p.s. guys, for week 4 i want to do a test. i am allowing defensive line spread and i want to see what everyones reaction is to it. i will have another vote after week 4. it has been brought to my attention that it's very difficult to stop the run in some situations without using it. so, let me reiterate, for week 4 and week 4 only the defensive line spread is legal. try it out, see how it works for you and against you and post your thoughts here. then we will have another vote.

6940885_a93a7127ec.jpg

Hey guys whats up, I just Got back from the future and I saw the vote its split right down the middle... Half for it and half really against it... dont ask me why..

oh and PS.. I won the championship...

oh and PS.. I won the championship...

you're right, you DID win the afc championship. shame about that 255-0 loss in the superbowl to the niners. but, you know what they say, when the 49ers make it to the superbowl odds are they're going to blow somebody out :( sorry about that malley...

Rorschach

Lonestar said:

Someone had to keep you in line. :D

ColdBlooded33 said:
Yeah i rarely use 3-4. its garbage in stopping the run. Its has some good pass D plays but thats about it.
I use the 3-4 and it is pretty crappy, but I manage. I just stick to default playbooks, but I'm gonna try some new ones out. I'll probably end up with 4-3.

CB3

You better switch your D before week 12. Ive been known to make the Raiders my bitch. :)

hgplayer1

FrenchMovieTheme said:
perhaps to stand a chance to win the game??

the thing is when you are using a team that uses the 3-4 and you switch to the 4-3 you are still somewhat at a disadvantage because you have players playing at positions they arent meant to play and are either undersized or too slow. at least thats what ive found with the Cowboys. even going to nickle screws up my defensive line strength it seems.

Andokuky

Banned
I cannot enter stats for week 3. I've tried 3 times now and it times out every time. I'm not trying again. I copied them down in notepad and can copy/paste here on in an email if you want and an admin can put them in.

Fifty

Yes do that. Either PM them to me or email them to fmt@49ers-age.com

Also, the deadline for this week should be saturday morning, not sunday morning. We all agreed on a 4 day deadline....The league advanced tuesday, we played a stunning 8 games that night and we'll only have 1(!) left after tonight. Saturday will be 4 days from tuesday.

hg, the 49ers use 3-4 by default in the game, but sometimes i have to go with a 4-3. guys who want to also use 3-4, why dont you try the "general" defensive playbook? it gives you access to 4-3, 3-4, nickel, dime, quarter and 4-6. the only thing is it doesn't have ALL the plays that you would get if you picked them as designated playbooks (for instance, the 4-3 playbook has a lot more plays in the 4-3 than the 4-3 in the "general" playbook)

ando, email me the stats in notepad (in the body text) i will take care of it

CB3

GG Slo, I couldnt do jack shit in the first quarter. But of course i did my best 2nd half comeback like i always seem to do in the games i lose :(. At the very least i better get Defensive player of the week for that 105 yard int Return for the TD :)

Top Bottom