• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chef Cat said:
Is that one a good camera? Especially for the price with all of the things included? Any suggestions? I'm so lost. ;_;

It's a very good camera! The Rebel Series is perfect for growing into so I would buy it. Of course the T3 is the latest model of that line so if you want to save some bucks you can always spring for the T1i instead. Not sure on the differences as far as feature-sets but both will allow you to take great photos.

tokkun

Chef Cat said:
Hey. I feel really stupid and nervous posting this, because you guys know ten times more than me about cameras and whatnot, but I figured I'd ask because I really need the help.
I want to go to an art school for photography, and I'm... not really knowledgeable on all this camera stuff. I know, it sounds noobish. But I'd like to learn what there is to know.

I'm not looking for a super expensive awesome camera that can take pictures from space or anything, just one that can switch lenses and take awesome pictures and whatnot. DSLR or whatever... if that's the right word. *still feeling noobish*

I looked around this thread (well, I actually kind of read the whole thing) and I saw a few that looked nice, and I did searching of my own, but I just don't know what to pick. I looked at the camera that kudos. bought (this right here) and it looks nice but I don't want to buy something that just... isn't nice.

Is that one a good camera? Especially for the price with all of the things included? Any suggestions? I'm so lost. ;_;

If you want a T3, there is a deal a much better deal available if you can handle a $400 rebate. I can't link right now, but you can find it on SlickDeals.

If you're still exploring what camera you want to buy, there's no single obvious answer. You need to think about is most important to you, what your budget is, and what your long term plans are.

toohectic

What's your budget Chef Cat? If you're planning to go to art school for photography, I'd suggest at least getting a T2i or a T3i. That will run you about 150 more for the T2i, or 300 more for the T3i. You can still take great pictures with all three of them, but the increased feature set of the higher models may be desirable for school. Hopefully someone else can provide additional feedback.

BlueTsunami

Sony A77 size comparison

DUj9p.png

Source: http://photorumors.com/2011/08/22/sony-a77-size-comparison-with-nikon-d300-d7000-and-canon-eos-7d/

toohectic said:
What's your budget Chef Cat? If you're planning to go to art school for photography, I'd suggest at least getting a T2i or a T3i. That will run you about 150 more for the T2i, or 300 more for the T3i. You can still take great pictures with all three of them, but the increased feature set of the higher models may be desirable for school. Hopefully someone else can provide additional feedback.
I'm not really sure on my budget. My mom is offering to buy one for my birthday. She knows I'm serious about it, and when I mentioned the possibility of a 600 dollar camera, she didn't freak out or anything.
I really, really like the T3i AND the T2i. I just wish I had a job (looking hard for one!) so I could help pay for at least a third or something. I think I'll bring it up to her and see how she reacts.

tino

Banned
Chef Cat said:
I'm not really sure on my budget. My mom is offering to buy one for my birthday. She knows I'm serious about it, and when I mentioned the possibility of a 600 dollar camera, she didn't freak out or anything.
I really, really like the T3i AND the T2i. I just wish I had a job (looking hard for one!) so I could help pay for at least a third or something. I think I'll bring it up to her and see how she reacts.

At this budget, you are pretty much limited to entry level Canon and Nikon. Modern DSLR market is very competitive. All the brands that are still on the market offer very good cameras. The only brand I advise against is Pentax, they don't have a clear future right now.

Don't be afraid to buy used mid-tier DSLR, they provide more value for your money (40D, 50D, D90 D80 etc).

tokkun

Normally I encourage people to look outside of just the Canon/Nikon stuff, but for someone going to school for photography, you are going to want to get something that a lot of classmates will have so you can borrow lenses & filters.

As for how to decide between Canon and Nikon, go to a store that sells cameras and try them out. See what feels good in your hand and which seems to have more intuitive menu and button layouts.

mcrae

yesterday I bought a rebel t2i. having lots of fun with longer exposures at night and the continuous shooting mode, as well as capturing things in motion with fast shutter speeds. i've read about halfway through the manual so far, and its pretty helpful. I'm wondering if there are any really awesome online resources that help teach concepts about shutter speed, iso levels, and aperture levels? i see varieties of youtube videos but figure i'd come ask here in case anyone has recommendations.

golem

mcrae said:
yesterday I bought a rebel t2i. having lots of fun with longer exposures at night and the continuous shooting mode, as well as capturing things in motion with fast shutter speeds. i've read about halfway through the manual so far, and its pretty helpful. I'm wondering if there are any really awesome online resources that help teach concepts about shutter speed, iso levels, and aperture levels? i see varieties of youtube videos but figure i'd come ask here in case anyone has recommendations.
I always thought this was a pretty solid crash course

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=414088

tokkun

mcrae said:

They can be summarized quite succinctly.

Aperture: Larger aperture (smaller f-stop) = More exposure -> Also narrower depth of image in focus
Shutter: Longer shutter = More exposure -> Also more motion blur
ISO: Higher ISO = More exposure -> Also more noise

It's up to you to decide which tradeoffs you want to make to get enough exposure.

tino

Banned
itwasTuesday said:
Get a fully manual lens for your digital camera.
Focus and aperture will be controlled on the lens.
That'll learn you.

I didn't learn to estimate aperture combo by eyes until I started shooting a MF rangerfinder that has a busted meter. So every time I tried to shoot a picture, I took out my cheapo point and shoot camera to read exposure for me.

I soon realized at consistent lighting situation, its very easy to shoot manual. Basically at night or at a restaurant, there is really only 2-3 exposure combo you can use. It's much faster to shooting manual instead of spot meter this and AE compensate that. I had shot SLR for close to 10 years at that time and I didn't know about that concept.

So... the moral of my story is that modern camera meter is like the GPS machine, if you use it too much you don't know how to read map anymore. And when you start shooting flash photography, the ability to estimate exposure is very handy.

Damaged

This is probably a stupid question but has anybody ever had a go with the holga plastic lenses for DSLR's? seen a few variations on ebay for about £10 so thought it may be worth looking at for something to have a play about with. If they are total crap i wont bother :)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Got a new toy:

So heavenly. Full-frame is like a new world. It's so nice to be able to use my 50mm prime indoors!

So, much thanks to everyone in this thread who helped me with my decision (and especially Blue Tsunami who convinced me to go full frame!)

Flo_Evans

Damaged said:
This is probably a stupid question but has anybody ever had a go with the holga plastic lenses for DSLR's? seen a few variations on ebay for about £10 so thought it may be worth looking at for something to have a play about with. If they are total crap i wont bother :)

They are total crap, but in a good way. Something about a plastic lens gives you (sometimes) sexy distortions that are hard (but not impossible) to re-create in photoshop.

I would say if you are remotely interested get one and try it out. You are not going to be out much money even if you hate it. :p

tino

Banned
aidan said:
Got a new toy:

So heavenly. Full-frame is like a new world. It's so nice to be able to use my 50mm prime indoors!

So, much thanks to everyone in this thread who helped me with my decision (and especially Blue Tsunami who convinced me to go full frame!)
Haha congras! Now convince BS to get a digital full frame. :p

Flo_Evans

anyone else kind of pumped for the Nikon announcement tomorrow?

If anything it should flood the used market with perfectly good d700s ;)

tokkun

Flo_Evans said:

I'm waiting for the Sony announcements since I shoot A-Mount. Sony has also been bringing more interesting stuff to the table in terms of body design than Nikon or Canon, at least for the non-pro market.

tino

Banned
Flo_Evans said:

Why? Arent they announcing 2.5X mirrorless?

Flo_Evans

tokkun said:
I'm waiting for the Sony announcements since I shoot A-Mount. Sony has also been bringing more interesting stuff to the table in terms of body design than Nikon or Canon, at least for the non-pro market.

Well, nikon is supposed to announce a mirror-less system too. I would say that the competition will be good for that segment, but IMHO sony is already walking away with it.

Forsete

Cant wait for photographers to start flooding the web with pictures taken with the A77 (NDA should be up tomorrow, rite?). I want to know what a 24.3MP APS-C photo looks like. :p

Supposed to be a new full frame camera too.

Awesome.
Not using a Sony sensor then I suppose? :p According to rumors Sony will have 3 FF cameras lined up, but not until 2012.

Flo_Evans

tino said:
Why wouldn't they announce the D400 with the Sony APSC 24mp sensor first? The D300 came out before the D700.

Possibly! No one knows, that is what is exciting. :p

I might just be their mirrorless attempt, it might be a new pro full frame. Might be both.

tino

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
Possibly! No one knows, that is what is exciting. :p

I might just be their mirrorless attempt, it might be a new pro full frame. Might be both.
I really doubt they will announce a pro body to take away the media buzz of the mirrorless.

My money is on EVIL only.

Damaged

Flo_Evans said:
They are total crap, but in a good way. Something about a plastic lens gives you (sometimes) sexy distortions that are hard (but not impossible) to re-create in photoshop.

I would say if you are remotely interested get one and try it out. You are not going to be out much money even if you hate it. :p

Cool, thats kinda what i thought. may pick one up before my next trip away and see what i think.

MRORANGE

Coolpix AW100 + P7100 announced

First, some more details on the new Coolpix P7100 camera:

10MP 1/1.7″ sensor
7x zoom (28mm-200 equivalent)
ISO 100-3200, extended up to 6400 (Hi1)
3in. 921k dots tiltable display
Built-in ND filter
1080i HD video with stereo sound
New special effect modes

The new rugged camera from Nikon will be called Coolpix AW100:

Backside illuminated 16MP sensor
Good low light capability
5x zoom (28-140mm equivalent)
Waterproof, shockproof and “coldproof” (down to 14°F temperature)
GPS
Electronic compass
Map display
Full HD video recording

Dropped off my 50mm 1.4 to Nikon's service center. I got word today that it's gonna be covered under warranty! /sigh of relief

Pumped for this Nikon announcement, too

Damaged said:
Cool, thats kinda what i thought. may pick one up before my next trip away and see what i think.
i think you should probably just get a holga if you like the effect! it won't be nearly as characteristic on a digital sensor and high quality body without film colours and light leaks etc, not to mention a lot less fun to use (the main reason i use my holga 135 now is for multiple exposures, and that sort of thing).

BlueTsunami

f/3.5-5.6 aperture? Edit: Just looked at the link, yep.

A pancake zoom is crazy awesome. That seriously seems like the perfect travel camera GF3 and that lens. Not crazy about power zooms but OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) in that tiny thing is fantastic.

tino

Banned
OK that's impressive. Perfect lens for my wife. Sony need to step up! I don't care if the aperture is f/4.5-6.3!

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
aidan said:
Got a new toy:

Congrats! Prepare to be consistently amazed at the image quality.

BlueTsunami said:
f/3.5-5.6 aperture? Edit: Just looked at the link, yep.

A pancake zoom is crazy awesome. That seriously seems like the perfect travel camera GF3 and that lens. Not crazy about power zooms but OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) in that tiny thing is fantastic.
The power zoom is meant to be used for video and more importantly, as a stepping stone for people upgrading from compacts. I'm curious to see if the aperture is stepless like the 14-140mm Panny HD zoom. That would be an amazing achievement in such a small body.

BlueTsunami

Prices for the newly announced Sony bodies...

US today says the A77 body only costs $1399 and with 16-50mm lens it will cost $1999. The A65 will cost $899. The NEX-7 with kit lens costs $1350. NEX-5N with lens for $700. The VG-20 for $2199.

The A77 has a higher price than expected. I guess the strong YEN is making lower prices almost impossible. Anyway, could be that street price is a bit lower and closer to our rumored price!

Source: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-sony-new-products-on-us-today/

I was hoping for a $1000-$1200 NEX-7. $1350 will make me think twice about it.

Sennorin

Banned
okay, so now I´ve heard that the Canon 600D is missing self-cleaning and can only shoot video in 720p, whereas the 500D has self-cleaning and can shoot video in 1080p, 720p and 480p. Is that true or did I get trolled? If it´s true, is it that big of a deal? The 600D is the best Canon I can get with my budget, but if an older model is actually better...well, it wouldn´t hurt me to spend less money.

nib95

Banned
Canon is dropping the ball lately. I feel Nikon is catering to all the range of markets, low to high, where as Canon is too focused on entry and mid. Where's my bloody 5D MkIII already? Seriously...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
nib95 said:
Canon is dropping the ball lately. I feel Nikon is catering to all the range of markets, low to high, where as Canon is too focused on entry and mid. Where's my bloody 5D MkIII already? Seriously...
It's still selling well so they are reluctant to introduce a new one. That being said, it looks like early 2012 is the timeframe.

Borman

Sennorin said:
okay, so now I´ve heard that the Canon 600D is missing self-cleaning and can only shoot video in 720p, whereas the 500D has self-cleaning and can shoot video in 1080p, 720p and 480p. Is that true or did I get trolled? If it´s true, is it that big of a deal? The 600D is the best Canon I can get with my budget, but if an older model is actually better...well, it wouldn´t hurt me to spend less money.

You dont want the 500d for video. I have one (a t1i here in the States), but it does not have manual controls at all on video, so you are stuck with what the camera chooses. 1080p is also only at 20 fps, so its basically useless.

tokkun

BlueTsunami said:
Prices for the newly announced Sony bodies...

Source: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-sony-new-products-on-us-today/

I was hoping for a $1000-$1200 NEX-7. $1350 will make me think twice about it.

Those prices are higher than I was hoping for too.

Although I guess the a65 at $900 means that the price of my a55 body is not going to suddenly tank. I could probably get at least $600 for the a55, which would make the a77 an $800 upgrade. Not sure I can justify that cost to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom