• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

toohectic

nib95 said:
Canon is dropping the ball lately. I feel Nikon is catering to all the range of markets, low to high, where as Canon is too focused on entry and mid. Where's my bloody 5D MkIII already? Seriously...

I'm waiting for a 7D update, but I have a feeling a new 5D class camera is coming first. Gonna cost more than I want to spend, but it might be too hard to resist the new 5D class camera when it debuts. Although, who knows... maybe since they are focusing on the entry/mid level cameras, the 7D successor may actually come first.

toohectic

Sennorin said:
okay, so now I´ve heard that the Canon 600D is missing self-cleaning and can only shoot video in 720p, whereas the 500D has self-cleaning and can shoot video in 1080p, 720p and 480p. Is that true or did I get trolled? If it´s true, is it that big of a deal? The 600D is the best Canon I can get with my budget, but if an older model is actually better...well, it wouldn´t hurt me to spend less money.

You have those mixed up. The newer 600D (T3i) is a more capable camera than the 500D (T1i). The 600D can shoot 1080p at 30/25/24fps, or 720p at 60/50fps. The 500D is limited to 1080p at 20fps or 720p at 30fps. Plus numerous other improvements. I'm pretty sure both offer the self-cleaning sensor (ultrasonic vibration type). Get the T3i (600D).

Zyzyxxz

Egh, $1300+ for a NEX-7 is a bit steep for me. Definitely not considering it and since M43 seems to be getting some nice lenses I will patiently wait to see if the GF7 is a worth replacement for my D90.

golem

nib95 said:
Canon is dropping the ball lately. I feel Nikon is catering to all the range of markets, low to high, where as Canon is too focused on entry and mid. Where's my bloody 5D MkIII already? Seriously...
The D700 was announced July 2008.

The 5D2 in September 2008.

The only thing really missing lately is the 1Ds4 and supposedly it's reveal is soon.

nib95

Banned
golem said:
The D700 was announced July 2008.

The 5D2 in September 2008.

The only thing really missing lately is the 1Ds4 and supposedly it's reveal is soon.

But then Nikon had the D300S and the D3S. For me the 1D Mk4 was very disappointing not even being full frame.

golem

nib95 said:
But then Nikon had the D300S and the D300S. For me the 1D Mk4 was very disappointing not even being full frame.
Sure and the 7D came out around the same time.

I don't really see the reason for the 1D4 to not be full frame however. Hopefully the 1DS4 will be something worth the wait (although I probably can't afford it anyways).

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
nib95 said:
But then Nikon had the D300S and the D300S. For me the 1D Mk4 was very disappointing not even being full frame.
Regular 1D series has never been full-frame, it's made for speed. The current talk is Canon will be merging the 1D and 1Ds line and go with a full-frame sensor that can crop to other sizes (APS-C, APS-H). We'll find out this fall. Further speculation says Canon will introduce a new studio camera that will truly supersede the 1Ds. Crazy megapixel count supposedly.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BlueTsunami said:
Promo video for the NEX-7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permal...ors-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

Oh man, it looks hot. Like the body design of the NEX-7 vs. its siblings.

looks nice. I find it odd that those dials don't seem to be labeled - are they designed to be custom and display on the screen? Also a shame that the LCD only tilts vertically again - on my NEX-5 that makes use in portrait mode limited.

Price is too high for the body though. I know EVFs for the m4/3s are expensive but still..
plus the range of lenses is too limited (and they're a little on the large side)

what I want is the lens range of the m4/3 combined with the sensor/body of the NEX-7..

Damaged

345triangle said:
i think you should probably just get a holga if you like the effect! it won't be nearly as characteristic on a digital sensor and high quality body without film colours and light leaks etc, not to mention a lot less fun to use (the main reason i use my holga 135 now is for multiple exposures, and that sort of thing).

Fair play, in that case i'll probably wait till I've gotten bored of messing about with my fisheye then maybe try the holga lens on my old 35mm nikon slr first. Thanks for the input :)

tino

Banned

Zyzyxxz

tino said:

WTF that is so bulky, man Sony really messed it up with the whole A-mount and autufocusing thing. Its either you stick to the crappy lens selection for NEX line, slow AF of the adapter, or carry this mess around.

Forsete

Zyzyxxz said:
WTF that is so bulky, man Sony really messed it up with the whole A-mount and autufocusing thing. Its either you stick to the crappy lens selection for NEX line, slow AF of the adapter, or carry this mess around.
Its not like they have a choice. A-mount was designed in the 80ies and were not made to work with CDAF.
At least they are offering us who own many A mount lenses the option to use them with proer fast PDAF.

that is a ridiculous-looking product, but i still kind of want to try it in person - i mean, obviously i already have an a-mount slr, otherwise i wouldn't be wanting to use a-mount lenses in the first place. there's already a non-focusing adapter for people concerned about the size.

the 4 cameras sony announced today all look fantastic! obviously the a77 and nex-7 seem to be pretty amazing pieces of work, but i didn't realise the a65 and nex-5n were going to be significant upgrades over their predecessors (in sensor/viewfinder and touchscreen/interface/viewfinder respectively). doubt i'll be buying any of them, but i'll probably go for the a-mount 16-50 2.8 and e-mount 50 1.8.

Forsete

Apparently it has a focusing motor built into that adapter. Fantastic since many old Minolta and Sony lenses don't have the focusing motor built in. And almost no 3rd party lenses for the A-mount uses SSM or SAM driving.

To further expand the range of lenses that NEX owners can use with full functionality, Sony has also announced the LA-EA2 adapter that promises fast autofocus with all existing Alpha mount lenses. This uses the company's SLT technology, with a fixed 'translucent' mirror and built-in phase detection AF sensor, plus an AF motor for 'screw-drive' lenses. Somewhat reminiscent of Leica's old 'Visoflex' system for its M-mount film rangefinders, the rather bulky housing also has its own tripod socket for use with larger lenses. The LA-EA2 includes the same 15-point AF sensor as the SLT A65 and original A55.

Might just have to get one now. :p

IF I go NEX7 that is.. A77 would look mighty tasty next to my 900. :D

Edit: Finally home so I can have a better look. Beautiful texture on the A77. Shares the same cool "cracked" texture as my Walkman X-series.

Radec

sony-nex-7-live-06-600x406.jpg

Fuck me.

That 24mm looked great on the NEX7.

But the price killed it for me.

I'll probably go for the NEX7+50mmf/1.8 OSS if the High ISO Performance of the NEX7 is beyond the previews NEXs.

BlueTsunami

Forsete said:
Apparently it has a focusing motor built into that adapter. Fantastic since many old Minolta and Sony lenses don't have the focusing motor built in. And almost no 3rd party lenses for the A-mount uses SSM or SAM driving.

Yep, I think, in the Engadget video I had seen, they're using the same translucent pellicle mirror tech that's in the AXX series of cameras.

Forsete

BlueTsunami said:
Yep, I think, in the Engadget video I had seen, they're using the same translucent pellicle mirror tech that's in the AXX series of cameras.

Yes it shares the same AF system as the 65 and 55. :) Its going to be expensive though, quite advanced tech in that thing. Nice to have the option though.

I just checked the NEX7 promo video. Damn its lovely with that black Zeiss lens.

Image quality of the NEX system seems awesome, as does the control layout of the NEX 7, but the lenses seem too big and the nice ones too expensive. Now I'm intrigued by the rumors of the Panasonic GF7 enthusiast-focused m4/3 camera. I keep reading that Panasonic has made great strides in image quality with their newer sensors, and the lens selection of m4/3 keeps getting better.

All the new NEX bodies and the A77 look great from a gear head perspective, but the initial photo samples are underwhelming. I'm not sure if cramming 24mp into an APS-C sensor was the right choice.

tokkun

345triangle said:
i'll probably go for the a-mount 16-50 2.8

Really?

I dunno, $700 for that lens versus $450 (or less used) for the 17-50 f/2.8 Tamron. I wonder if the optics will be good enough to justify that difference.

tokkun said:
Really?

I dunno, $700 for that lens versus $450 (or less used) for the 17-50 f/2.8 Tamron. I wonder if the optics will be good enough to justify that difference.

Aren't the optics identical between the two lenses? I'm not sure how the Tamron AF matches up with SSM, but I think the weather sealing might be worth it alone.

tokkun

Valkyr Junkie said:
Aren't the optics identical between the two lenses? I'm not sure how the Tamron AF matches up with SSM, but I think the weather sealing might be worth it alone.

Are they? I guess I wouldn't be too surprised. They used Tamron optics in the SAL18250.

golem

reggieandTFE said:
All the new NEX bodies and the A77 look great from a gear head perspective, but the initial photo samples are underwhelming. I'm not sure if cramming 24mp into an APS-C sensor was the right choice.
Yeah I kinda feel like Sony is playing up the numbers game. 12 fps but 13 frame buffer? Come on. Interested in comparisons with other APS-C sensors though.

tino

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
It's one of the biggest APS 17-50mm. I am afraid is heavy too. Although $700 is not that expensive. The Nikon 17-55 is much more expensive.

Radec

Nikon's 17-55 is much much better than tamron's though.

Tried both and the differece is pretty obvious imo.

But the 24-70 still edges it though :p

Sennorin

Banned
ok, new question (don´t know if anyone can answer that one):

If you decide to work as a photographer, or rather, start an apprenticeship as a future photographer, would a Canon 600D be good enough for the start or would that be "junk" for what you would have planned?

BlueTsunami

reggieandTFE said:

Viewing 100% crops of a 24MP crop-sensor will only bring heartache. Each and every resolution bump throughout the years have had their detractors 'cause pixel sharpness isn't "as good" as 8MP then 12MP and now 16MP. But in the end it actually is picking up more detail (how much is debatable) and when comparing between cameras one file should be resized to match the other.

With that said the higher ISO performance of the NEX and A77 sensor seems to have aggressive Noise Reduction applied to it from the A77 samples I've seen. I'd wait until we get to see RAW samples and JPEG output with Noise Reduction off in a "in production" camera to make that judgment. Other than that I've found the color and resolution of this new sensor to be real good from the DPreview samples.

Also a note if interest, the A77 has the pellicle mirror in place that's diverting 1/3rd of the incoming light to the AF sensor. I'm really interested to see how the NEX-7 performs without this hindrance.

Here's the back of the NEX-7 for those interested...

ibTdl1uqd.jpg

Sony states that the three wheels (two on top and the one on the back) can be assigned to do specific things. But they've got presets in place, one being "Aperture, Shutter, ISO". Being able to manipulate those things on the fly would be so damn good. Like alien tech compared to my Rebel XT. I think I would probably have this setup "Magnify, Exposure Compensation, ISO" when shooting manually.

tokkun

BlueTsunami said:
With that said the higher ISO performance of the NEX and A77 sensor seems to have aggressive Noise Reduction applied to it from the A77 samples I've seen. I'd wait until we get to see RAW samples and JPEG output with Noise Reduction off in a "in production" camera to make that judgment. Other than that I've found the color and resolution of this new sensor to be real good from the DPreview samples.

DPreview's walkthrough of the A77's menu system shows a setting for High-ISO Noise Reduction: High, Normal, Low.

Of course if the Low setting is still too much, you can always shoot RAW.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
BlueTsunami said:
Sony states that the three wheels (two on top and the one on the back) can be assigned to do specific things. But they've got presets in place, one being "Aperture, Shutter, ISO". Being able to manipulate those things on the fly would be so damn good. Like alien tech compared to my Rebel XT. I think I would probably have this setup "Magnify, Exposure Compensation, ISO" when shooting manually.

Oh, my. I really hope Canon adopts this for their 7D MkII or whatever is next in the pipeline.

tino said:
It's one of the biggest APS 17-50mm. I am afraid is heavy too. Although $700 is not that expensive. The Nikon 17-55 is much more expensive.
I had a Sigma 18-50 HSM 2.8 Macro on Nikon f-mount but sold it earlier this year and got the Nikon 17-55 2.8 DX for $1100...factory REFURBISHED. Mind you, this was even before the tsunami hit Japan and that lens now runs at $1500 street price new.

If I was in the market for this lens a year or two ago I think I would have found many of them in the $700-800 range in the used market in very good condition...not anymore. The D7000 and the tsunami has driven up the price and demand for the Nikon 17-55.

I just sent back my 7D for the second time. the first time the battery terminal connection on the board went bad, i couldn't power it on

now, the performance just seems very inconsistent.

on the good side, i picked up a second 1D Mark IIn for about 800 bucks with a new shutter. over the years, i've really come to appreciate the reliability of the 1D. i do tons of daytime sports photography so it really does get the job done

nib95 said:

You must not know of Canon's common release schedule of their different lines of cameras.

Forsete

Sony UK just had a live video chat with its users. Answered a lot of questions. Demoed the cameras etc. Sadly I missed a whole bunch of it, only got to see the end.

NEX7 is a bit away from being final, the software is still in development (like A77 which is firmware 0.58 or something).

You can setup separate views for the EVF and the main screen (on screen info). Once you learn all the button placements you really don't need to take your eye away from the EVF to do any changes, all can be seen/done from the EVF. Very nice.

A77 uses a digital image stabilization system when recording video, instead of the image sensor stabilization system which the A55 used (which caused the camera to overheat). I wonder if the view is cropped somewhat when using that system of video recording? Also rolling shutter and moire has been reduced.
The results looked pretty impressive anyway going by that Engadget video.

All cameras feature peaking, so it seems to be a standard feature from here on. <3

WanderingWind said:
Oh, my. I really hope Canon adopts this for their 7D MkII or whatever is next in the pipeline.

Yeah, they could keep the front wheel, and the wheel around the Set button like the 7D, 5DII, etc., and maybe add a third wheel on the top right side of the rear panel similar to where Nikon, Sony, etc. have their rear wheels.

WanderingWind said:

Indeed. Going from 1 wheel to 2 (from 450D to 7D) was golike but now I still feel that a third wheel for ISO wouldn't be too much. At all.

24MP with APS-C sensor... ugh
24MP at 10fps... nice but which memory card can keep up?
24MP with current NEX optics... a complete waste

BlueTsunami

Messing with my Mothers Coolpix S3000. I've never personally owned a Point and Shoot but I can now see the appeal. It's so easy to break out of your pocket and take a photo and go about your day. Two shots I liked...

icK0sYnzG.jpg

ieZiNtEys.jpg

I feel like can experiment more with the Nikon P&S versus being more reserved with my DSLR.

The negatives are definitely the IQ of the files. They look like they'll be fine in smaller prints but it makes me want to redo those scenes with my DSLR and Prime lenses. They're also rather brittle when it comes to post work (you can see harsh edges here and there and the files don't like to be "pushed" too much). Whatever it takes to get the shot though. I can see myself getting one to play with ideas and then bring thatover to photos taken with my DSLR.

mcrae

my sister had a soccer game under the lights tonight. was using rebel T2i with the 18-55mm lens it comes with... 1/200 f5.6 iso 1600 was resulting in slightly blurred, underexposed, slightly grainy.. the shots only ever looked good on my 1920x1080 monitor if i made them fit to screen, 100% zoom looked pretty bad.

i tried the picture style as both landscape and standard, and the lighting optimizer low, high, and off. im not too sure what either of these functions do, but there was no noticeable difference.

i realize i could've gone slower shutter speed to get a lower ISO, but i was really hoping to get some decent action shots. what would be the cheapest lens i could reasonable use in this situation?

BlueTsunami

mcrae said:
i realize i could've gone slower shutter speed to get a lower ISO, but i was really hoping to get some decent action shots. what would be the cheapest lens i could reasonable use in this situation?

Depends on the subject distance but some primes that are known for sports shooting are the Canon 85/1.8 or Canon 100/2 and the 50/1.4 (I think). They're both very fast (as in the amount of light they gather) compared to your zoom and have fast AF.

With that said the shutter speeds you were shooting at should have been fine for sports (as far as motion blur). If its the quality of ISO1600 that you don't like then getting a faster lens could definitely alleviate this by using a lower ISO due to shooting at a larger aperture.

If you want a fast zoom lens then that will cost you much more than the primes.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Does anyone know if Epson has a replacement for the V700/V750 film/negative scanner in the works? From the reviews I've read, the V700/V750 is one of the better film scanners out there (that isn't a drum), but it also dates from 2007.

mcrae

BlueTsunami said:
Depends on the subject distance but some primes that are known for sports shooting are the Canon 85/1.8 or Canon 100/2 and the 50/1.4 (I think). They're both very fast (as in the amount of light they gather) compared to your zoom and have fast AF.

With that said the shutter speeds you were shooting at should have been fine for sports (as far as motion blur). If its the quality of ISO1600 that you don't like then getting a faster lens could definitely alleviate this by using a lower ISO due to shooting at a larger aperture.

If you want a fast zoom lens then that will cost you much more than the primes.

well, i wasnt using a tripod so perhaps i can attribute the blur to camera shake? even though there is image stabilization on the lens? it was mostly only ever present on the ball itself, or a players foot when it was just kicked, or players/people on the other sideline.... maybe they just werent in focus

tokkun

mcrae said:
well, i wasnt using a tripod so perhaps i can attribute the blur to camera shake? even though there is image stabilization on the lens? it was mostly only ever present on the ball itself, or a players foot when it was just kicked, or players/people on the other sideline.... maybe they just werent in focus

At 1/200, it's probably not camera shake. More likely the noise reduction blur at ISO 1600. Or misfocus as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom