• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windam

Scaley member
Just started reading the novelization of the original MSG. I'm only three chapters in right now, but man it is different. I want to finish it soon so I can start on my copy of The Origin, but I want to actually take everything in, too. Gah. Also, prices for the DVDs now that Bandai is dead are ridiculous. Over $100 for each set of 0079/Zeta Complete Collection? Fml. :(

Edit: Also, does anyone know where to get a decently priced/detailed kit of the Nu Gundam? I only have the Strike and Blitz (and the purple wing parts for the Blitz are broken fml). I really like this model, but goddamn at those international prices (I'm in Canada). :(

CorvoSol

Yeah, I was a bit shocked. However it is Zero EW and it's easily the most popular suit from Wing so aside from Tallgeese II and Wing EW being limited releases it doesn't surprise me that it's a bit higher then the others, just not a hundred dollars more.

Nice figure though, really glad I got mine as Model Zero EW's and their wings can be such a pain the ass.

Was Wing even in Endless Waltz? I coulda sworn Wing and Epyon weren't.

Ah, cool. Endless Waltz had some of the coolest designs in the series, I feel.

The Wing Zero "wings" are a little ridiculous, and too much of a departure for my taste from the anime version. The pods for the EW/Ka/Custom version of Wing Gundam with pods is a superior look in my opinion, though significantly less dramatic.

Alrighty folks, as alluded to several times in this thread, I shall now embark upon a quest to finish up my viewing of Gundam AGE.

CorvoSol (bless him) has convinced me via his hate filled and vitriolic posts that I should watch it until the end so that I can witness Flit Asuno's final descent into insanity and villianous psychopathic and paedophiliac tendencies in his elderly days.

In a show made for kids.

Will post impressions when I'm done lol.

CorvoSol (bless him) has convinced me via his hate filled and vitriolic posts that I should watch it until the end so that I can witness Flit Asuno's final descent into insanity and villianous psychopathic and paedophiliac tendencies in his elderly days.
Problem here is that you are describing a show far more interesting and entertaining than AGE.

Beth Cyra

Flit is a lot of things, but a pedophile is not one of them (and neither is Char, despite what the rumors say)

Yeah I can't really say he is a pedo.

Now a fucking idiot who is obsessed with a a girl he knew for all of a week despite being married and "in love" with his wife is something I take issue with.

Pedophiliac tendencies?

Flit is a lot of things, but a pedophile is not one of them (and neither is Char, despite what the rumors say)

Yeah I can't really say he is a pedo.

Hey hey hey, I'm just relaying the gist of what CorvoSol mentioned in one of his glorious posts about Flit Asuno. I haven't even reached the aforementioned bit yet myself.

Here's the post in question lol.

About Char... I've always thought he liked children/youth (but not in that way) so I found it extremely odd that he never really had any of his own or settled down for that matter.

He was the one brought in those two kids in Zeta after all. Into a battlefield no less, and unceremoniously dumped them on Fa Yuiry to babysit.

I just realised also that the ones he's come into contact with don't end up doing well at all lol.
CCA:- Quess KIA, MSG:- Lalah KIA, Zeta:- Seems to be the exception, the kids lived lol

CorvoSol

The Wing Zero "wings" are a little ridiculous, and too much of a departure for my taste from the anime version. The pods for the EW/Ka/Custom version of Wing Gundam with pods is a superior look in my opinion, though significantly less dramatic.

The giant, ridiculous angel wings are where its at for me.

Alrighty folks, as alluded to several times in this thread, I shall now embark upon a quest to finish up my viewing of Gundam AGE.

In a show made for kids.

Will post impressions when I'm done lol.

My hatred makes the show much more interesting than it is. 90% of it was booooring scenes of Flit talking down to women.

The man had a wife, and spent all of his time fantasizing about a little girl. If he wasn't a creepy pedo, he was definitely obsessed with children. When he gazes into his reflection, he sees himself as a little boy.

Flit was a seriously messed up guy.

What rumors about Char? Lalah wasn't that young, is there more stuff later/elsewhere?

Hey hey hey, I'm just relaying the gist of what CorvoSol mentioned in one of his glorious posts about Flit Asuno. I haven't even reached the aforementioned bit yet myself.

Here's the post in question lol.

About Char... I've always thought he liked children/youth (but not in that way) so I found it extremely odd that he never really had any of his own or settled down for that matter.

He was the one brought in those two kids in Zeta after all. Into a battlefield no less, and unceremoniously dumped them on Fa Yuiry to babysit.

I just realised also that the ones he's come into contact with don't end up doing well at all lol.
CCA:- Quess KIA, MSG:- Lalah KIA, Zeta:- Seems to be the exception, the kids lived lol

Yeah, the kids in Zeta were super weird. They got halfway through the series, and said, wait, random kids are supposed to be here. Or, well, shit is about to go down, lets have kids doing things for comic relief.

Also, Fa was better at babysitting than anything else she ever did. She actually did turn into an okay character after they stopped the fighting with Kamille as her only role on the show.

Also isn't there a character that is supposed to be/speculated to be Char's kid at some point down the road? I think I remember reading something about that in this thread, but not sure if I am misremembering. The rumored mother wasn't too young was she?

edit: I can't find anything about this on google, so I might have just made it up in my imagination. And I guess Quess would be the one inspiring the rumors of pedophilia. Haven't gotten to CCA yet to see their relationship.

The giant, ridiculous angel wings are where its at for me.

They are certainly dramatic, and the figures/models usually do a decent job of making them look mechanical. Just too much of a departure for me from anime to OVA. Anyways, I really prefer the redesigns of the suits in general, but I tend to find most of the mid 90s mecha designs to be chunky and ugly.

My hatred makes the show much more interesting than it is. 90% of it was booooring scenes of Flit talking down to women.

The man had a wife, and spent all of his time fantasizing about a little girl. If he wasn't a creepy pedo, he was definitely obsessed with children. When he gazes into his reflection, he sees himself as a little boy.

I know this will be the case. I don't expect to like the show, but I'm almost positive I'll be disappointed as hell when I don't see this guy talking about genocide and five year old girls with a blood vessel popping out of his heads while he licks his lips.

I don't really think Char cared about anyone, to be honest. Maybe Sayla, but I got a sense he wanted her out of the way more than anything.

frye

"Char is a pedophile" largely comes from Quess and Gyunei from CCA. With Quess, it's manipulative, but not really sexual. Gyunei has a throwaway comment about how there are rumours that Char likes younger girls, but you can attribute that to Gyunei being jilted by Quess.

There were rumours that Usso from Victory is Char's grandson (though the time-line suggests he's his great-grandson) and it comes from Usso's mother's maiden name being Miguel, which is also Nania's surname. This isn't officially verified afaik, but I believe it 'cuz only Char's relative would love kicking dudes as much as he does.

I don't really think Char cared about anyone, to be honest. Maybe Sayla, but I got a sense he wanted her out of the way more than anything.

I kind of agree with this. He is goal driven, not really a people person. The result is a couple of epic punches courtesty of Kamille in Zeta, so totally worth it. I thought he genuinely did care about Lalah, though. Haven't seen CCA yet, again, but it seemed like he was distracted from his kill the Zabi's plan by the whole newtype thing, and she was a part of that. Of course, it also tied in with his father's work on space leading to a new type of human, so that could have played a role in his momentary distraction from the plan.

"Char is a pedophile" largely comes from Quess and Gyunei from CCA. With Quess, it's manipulative, but not really sexual. Gyunei has a throwaway comment about how there are rumours that Char likes younger girls, but you can attribute that to Gyunei being jilted by Quess.

There were rumours that Usso from Victory is Char's grandson (though the time-line suggests he's his great-grandson) and it comes from Usso's mother's maiden name being Miguel, which is also Nania's surname. This isn't officially verified afaik, but I believe it 'cuz only Char's relative would love kicking dudes as much as he does.

I think that is what I remember reading about.

frye

Literally the second half of Char's life (from mid-0079 onwards) is because of Lahlah. I don't think it's fair to say that he didn't care about anyone.

Beth Cyra

I know this will be the case. I don't expect to like the show, but I'm almost positive I'll be disappointed as hell when I don't see this guy talking about genocide and five year old girls with a blood vessel popping out of his heads while he licks his lips.

No, no this actually happens. Multiple times actually. The problem is they go out of their way at the end to try and make Flit look like a saint and his crazy ass genocide atempts/wishes up until that point aren't really that bad and he is totally forgiven.

And I guess Quess would be the one inspiring the rumors of pedophilia. Haven't gotten to CCA yet to see their relationship.

It's a relationship alright.

fPbSiJJ.jpg

Blader

Yeah, he's fucked up. But reflecting back on a little girl who died because he wasn't strong enough to save her is not the same thing as being sexually attracted to children.

Char isn't a pedo either. Amuro even calls him out in his treatment of Quess, because she looked up to him, and Char admits he didn't care about her and basically writes her off as not his problem.

iirc, the writers on Victory did this intentionally, but it never came up in the show.

Jubern

While chilling with my 3DS, I let the TV on and it's broadcasting some obscure uni swimming competition. They have different BGM playing when the dudes come in and right now there was the SUPER PILOTTO theme for some reason. Right before it, it was Yukimura's theme from Sengoku Basara TV, from Unicorn's composer.

Almost expecting Full Frontal theme next or something. JAPAN.

Note that I actually love the SUPER PILOTTO bgm.

edit> Oh God the next track is actually "Unicorn" ahahah

Droog

Yeah, I've heard Unicorn used as BGM on a few Japanese variety shows such as Sekai No Hatemade ItteQ. Can't blame 'em, it's pretty epic!

Just to change the subject, has anyone here tried playing the F2P game Mobile Suit Gundam Online for PC? I managed to get it working on Win8 but haven't taken part in any 50v50 player battles yet. (I did 1 battle and there was at least a dozen on both teams but other than me, the others were all bots. :-/ ) The main hurdle is the need for a Japanese VPN as Bamco have geofenced the game. I'll need to play it a bit more before I can post any real impressions though...

CorvoSol

Yeah, he's fucked up. But reflecting back on a little girl who died because he wasn't strong enough to save her is not the same thing as being sexually attracted to children.

There's reflecting back on that and being obsessed, and I tell you the man was obsessed. In the end of the show,
it's not his GRANDSON, who is literally trying to stop the Super Nuke with his own body. It's not his son, who has been pleading with him for YEARS. It's not his wife or his daughter. It's a girl who died A VERY LONG TIME AGO and IS STILL A GIRL IN HIS MIND and his fantasy of meeting her in a picturesque starry location that gets him to stop.

Flit has more than just a passing interest in child-like wonder. He ACTIVELY SEES HIMSELF as a child. He looks into his reflection and sees it. When
He runs into Yurin at the very end, he's magically turned back into a kid.

Maybe he is not sexually attracted to children, but he is most definitely in love with one and the idea of being one. He pretty obviously never loved Emily, since Arc 3 he utterly abandons her and is never seen with her and thinks only of YURIN.

And I do not for a second believe Flit ever ponders or reflects upon the past. If he did, he'd have realized that his feud with the Vegan was EXACTLY THE SAME as the Euba/Zalam feud. The hilarious thing is, the show makes a HUGE point of how pointless the Euba/Zalam thing is, but NEVER BRINGS IT UP in connection to the Earth/Vegan feud even once because it would point out that Flit is, was, and always will be a self-righteous bastard, and Hino didn't have the balls to make perfect widdle Flit into the bad guy he so obviously was.

Yeah, I've heard Unicorn used as BGM on a few Japanese variety shows such as Sekai No Hatemade ItteQ. Can't blame 'em, it's pretty epic!

Just to change the subject, has anyone here tried playing the F2P game Mobile Suit Gundam Online for PC? I managed to get it working on Win8 but haven't taken part in any 50v50 player battles yet. (I did 1 battle and there was at least a dozen on both teams but other than me, the others were all bots. :-/ ) The main hurdle is the need for a Japanese VPN as Bamco have geofenced the game. I'll need to play it a bit more before I can post any real impressions though...

How's the gameplay like? Gundam Extreme VS, only with 50v50 robot battles? In real time? With those awesome graphics on the PC? Sounds awesome.

I'm slowly but surely trudging through the episodes of AGE, folks. I can only take a couple everyday before my minds starts to wander lol, so this is gonna take a while.

Enron

Banned
While chilling with my 3DS, I let the TV on and it's broadcasting some obscure uni swimming competition. They have different BGM playing when the dudes come in and right now there was the SUPER PILOTTO theme for some reason. Right before it, it was Yukimura's theme from Sengoku Basara TV, from Unicorn's composer.

Almost expecting Full Frontal theme next or something. JAPAN.

Note that I actually love the SUPER PILOTTO bgm.

"Unicorn" is one of the most epic pieces of music in all of Gundamdom, so I can understand that!

Droog

It's nothing like EXVS. xD

No, it's not. MSGO reminds me of a hybrid of Gundam Battle Chronicles on PSP and Gundam Battle Operation on PS3 (or Operation Troy on X360) with F2P elements sprinkled in. You're stuck inside the MS whilst playing though.

I apologize if this has been asked before; But as a fan of the original 0079 Gundam, what line of Gundam series should I watch? I'm not as big a fan of stuff like Gundam Wing, or G Gundam.

I apologize if this has been asked before; But as a fan of the original 0079 Gundam, what line of Gundam series should I watch? I'm not as big a fan of stuff like Gundam Wing, or G Gundam.

Welcome!

If the 0079 Gundam is what strikes your fancy, you're definitely better off watching the UC timeline of Gundam shows.

A shortlist for your consideration (year produced in parenthesis):-

After 0079:-

1. 08th MS Team 0079 (1996, OVA)

2. Gundam 0080 War In the Pocket (1989, OVA)

3. Gundam 0083 Stardust Memories (1991, a weaker OVA series)

4. Zeta Gundam 0087 (1985, the next mainline 50 episode series)

5. ZZ Gundam 0088 (1986, a direct sequel to Zeta featuring different characters, a 47 ep mainline series)

6. Char's Counterattack 0093 (1988, the conclusion to the Amuro-Char rivalry)

7. MSG Unicorn 0096 (2010, the latest UC production, amongst the best Gundam ever made.)

8. MSG F91 0123 (1991, a movie)

9. MSG Victory 0153 (1993, the last mainline 51 episode UC series)

Hope that helps!

I was thinking about 0083 the other day.

Do you guys think Monsha died during the final battle in Zeta? When Bright fired the colony laser?

MechaX

Do you guys think Monsha died during the final battle in Zeta? When Bright fired the colony laser?

It's possible. Or maybe he was hanging out with Byarlant Custom guy from Unicorn and was among the very few Titans that did not get fucked up at the end of the Gryps War.

Hopefully.

But it all doesn't matter anyways, because the slate was wiped clean right after the epilogue right?

So
Kou stood trial, but it went away. They joined the Titans, but I'm sure they could make that go away, too.

Received a copy of Gundam 0081 today. Will give it a go later. I tried to play some of the PS2 games, but they are so clunky I wasn't really enjoying myself, but I'll try later.

Hopefully.

But it all doesn't matter anyways, because the slate was wiped clean right after the epilogue right?

So
Kou stood trial, but it went away. They joined the Titans, but I'm sure they could make that go away, too.

The captain of the Albion was
executed.
. They can't make that go away

In the midst of choking down the last third or so of AGE, I decided to cleanse my Gundam palate with yet another lowly regarded Gundam OVA, 0083 Stardust Memories, which also seems to be the topic of discussion on this page.

To my surprise, I found it slightly less worse than I remember it to be. I actually chugged it down in a single sitting, which was an even bigger surprise.

Perhaps after spending quite a while trudging through the awfulness that is AGE, 0083 just seems better in comparison.

I found characters that I could stomach and even admire, such as Captain Synapse of the Albion
R.I.P
and Lieutanent South Burning
R.I.P
who feel like three dimensional characters. Of course other characters drag it down; Kou, straight laced as he is has his blinders on and is pretty single minded, and Nina "I-Love-Gundams" Purpleton is pretty easy to despise as a character.

Certain relationship progressions certainly feel stilted and out of place. That has not changed.

The cameos by other players from the UC era in this OVA were rather nice and most definitely a highlight.

Catching a glimpse of
Bask Om (episode 5,12,13), Jamitov Hymem (episode 12) and Haman Khan + Axis near Jupiter (episode 9) before they assumed their positions of power in their respective series (Zeta and ZZ)
was great and a nice touch. I could've also sworn I caught a glimpse of
Christina Mckenzie from 0080 in the Anaheim Electronics facility in episode 7.

The animation quality is standard for an OVA, as expected from an increased budget poured into a 13 episode series. Various improvements can be seen to older mobile suit models that're redrawn and sourced from the 1 year war for this production. Very fluid and scenes are mostly unique and recycled footage is no where to be seen.

The plot is still rather middling, and the ending was just
another reset button with a slight allusion to the rise of Titans and nothing else of consequence,
but I can say without a doubt that this OVA does have its place in the UC line of shows. And is better than AGE.
HOLY SHIT, I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE GATO NUKED THE ENTIRE FEDDIE FLEET ON PARADE AND PULLED IT OFF!!!! NUCLEARRRRRR POWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Back to AGE, again. Sigh.

I always found it fitting that
Delaz died the same way his idol, Gihren Zabi died.
. Plus 0083 has two very awesome OPs

Without a doubt. The Winner and Men of Destiny are amongst the best OP songs the show has got to offer for Gundam lore.

Also, to add to my earlier review of 0083, I'd figured that the monstrosities as complicated as the GP-03 Dendrobium and the Neue Ziel would require Newtypes to fully control and utilize to their maximum potential. I guess I was wrong. Kou Uraki and Anavel Gato are pretty damn good pilots for normal non-powered humans.

Apparently the cover itself is taken from a Yasuhiko painting. As a stand alone piece, it looks fantastic. But again, it should have been Garma on the cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom