• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remake G Gundam full on Gurren Lagann-style. That show deserves better animation.
Now this I can agree with!

edit:

Gundam AGE 27

Eh so Rumi died, didn't really feel much for her character since she was hardly given screentime. I didn't know the speed mobile suit was dependent on whether or not you're an X-Rounder and Asemu the white wolf?lol

Gundam AGE 27

Eh so Rumi died, didn't really feel much for her character since she was hardly given screentime. I didn't know the speed mobile suit was dependent on whether or not you're an X-Rounder and Asemu the white wolf?lol

Pretty neat how Asemu is going all out with the Woolf tribute from the outfit to the all white AGE-2, which looks pretty boss. Anyway, middle of the road episode for me.

And spoiler pic for episode 28 from the previews

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
She always looked like she was 12 or something so the guy hitting on her always seemed kinda pedo-y to me.

I built my MG Heavyarms EW today. No paneling or paints obviously but I think it looks good.

6935469646_41e6ba007f_c.jpg

NEO0MJ

Very nice, espacially considering that you did nothing to it.
But this reminded me of one of the kit's flaws, having the shoulder missile pods and the missiles inside them being in the same runner, and therefore having the same color. Couldn't they have put them in their own unique gray colored runners?

Gundam AGE 27

Actually she got way too much screen time. And now I am thankful that she is dead. I'll regret these words when the next episodes spends an entire minute on that guy who's name I can't remember crying about the dead girl.

Very nice, espacially considering that you did nothing to it.
But this reminded me of one of the kit's flaws, having the shoulder missile pods and the missiles inside them being in the same runner, and therefore having the same color. Couldn't they have put them in their own unique gray colored runners?
Definitely. Heck, the the A plate had multiple colors fused together so I know it's possible, lol.
At least the missiles are separate pieces to they're easy to paint :/

@_dementia Very nice kit! Panel line and add some color now! ;)
One of these days I have to lol

Divvy

Damn, I gotta pick up that Heavyarms. Looks fantastic :D

Anyways Episode 27 was pretty good. Though I feel the need to say that the Opening sequence has still not grown on me. I think it's one of the worst ones in long time. The first one wasn't that bad, but doesn't hold a candle to things like the Turn A one, 08th MS team, or Ash like Snow.

Hey _dementia, do you sand and smooth your sprue marks? And do you cut the nibs to make it easier to disassemble for later?

I feel like I don't know what half those words mean :/
I clip out the pieces from the plates with a nail clipper and shave off any leftover bits with an Olfa knife.

It may be my sixth MG, but I'm still a noob at this model thing.

Beth Cyra

I really want to finally pick up the Unicorn Blu Rays, having Endless Waltz being my only Gundam Blu Ray is starting to get to me.

Sadly though that price and the fact I just got both Madoka LE and a few other series took out my anime budget.

I really want to finally pick up the Unicorn Blu Rays, having Endless Waltz being my only Gundam Blu Ray is starting to get to me.

Sadly though that price and the fact I just got both Madoka LE and a few other series took out my anime budget.

Best to order them as they come out, the prices tend to go back up after that. I got the first four for $35-$40 each. Right Stuf still has the first 4 volumes at slightly discounted prices.

Beth Cyra

Yeah. I really should just bite the bullet.

Well I guess I skip getting SevenSword/G and Sinanju a bit longer.

Damn. Talked to my wife and just pulled the trigger. 239.00$ USD to knock out all of the current UC Blu Rays. Well at least I won't have to pay more for a little bit.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok AGE ep27 was weird in a really bad way.

So it seemed like it was the final ep of the era and that there'd be a time skip now where Vagans grow up on earth and form their own society there with Zehart has the leader. But uh, it's not? And there's 3 eps left and suddenly they're going to start a whole new arc on earth and build it up and have a final fight immediately? Seems like this could be a pretty weak finale out of nowhere.

As for the ep itself. Asemu's character arc has been awful for a while now. It really seems like Hino just doesn't have the talent to write what he wants properly. So we have Asemu who has no idea wtf he is doing the entire arc, sometimes trying to beat his dad/zehart, sometimes trying to protect people; we have him fighting and being average, then Woolf dies and he goes RAAAAAGE and kills Desil and then sees Zehart and continues to RAAAGE totally oblivious to everything going on in the battle around him, then when the enemy base is falling he suddenly out of fucking NOWHERE has this character transformation on a dime where he's all wise and solemn and is GOING TO SACRIFICE HIMSELF TO PROTECT. Like really, this shit comes out of NOWHERE and is totally unbelievable and ridiculous compared to how his character was 30 seconds prior. Normally in a show when you have the character go from dumb idiot emotion-driven pilot -> WISE JESUS YAMATO there's some major events that portray the transformation. This is literally him looking at the base, flinching, and becoming a different person than he's been the entire show. Couldn't they have at least done a montage of flashbacks in his head as he sees everyone fighting to protect and he realizes what he needs to do?? It's just so...terribly done.

At least Zehart has an excuse for his actions. But Asemu's character arc this season has been totally shit and Zehart's character arc has been dragged down because of it as well. I think for what they were trying to do with Asemu, they seriously needed more eps. It feels like Hino is trying to do a 50ep character arc in 15eps and it just doesn't work.

Also since the whole show has been ripping off prior Gundams, I think it would have been better if when Asemu and Zehart see the ship about to crash into earth, they realize they are fighting for the same thing, to protect the earth, and they both dive down below the ship and together use their UBER-MECHA to stop the fall of the ship, aka recreating the end of CCA in a way. That would have been FAR more satisfying than what happened. It would have also made more sense logically and Asemu's transformation and AsemuxZehart's friendship re-unite would actually work. Instead Hino just wrote a mess of an ep that is unsatisfying and does a crappy job at ending some of the subplots.

But mainly, Asemu just sucks. I wouldn't have minded if he actually blew himself up and the protag of AGE3 is his sister's kid and not his. Asemu would be remembered as the moronic kid who saved everyone through his sacrifice and AGE3 could show a little monument of him smiling.

Also didn't care for the whole METEOR GUNDAMS OUT OF NOWHERE, OH WAIT THEY WERE JUST "HOLDING" BIG BOMBS

Bebpo

Banned
Cont'd thoughts on AGE 27

Also, the part where Diva is CAUGHT BY THE ENEMY BASE, not ever showing what the hell is going on inside the base from the point of view of Zehart's sub-commander guy really ruined that scene. I mean were they like "WE CAUGHT DIVA, SEND MECHS DOWN TO DESTROY IT" and then Diva had to race to get out in time to add tension?? Were they like "OH SHIT WE GOIN DOWN, STOP THE FREEFALL STOP THE FREEFALL" and panicking?

We just don't know, because even though Hino kept showing us their scenes all along these eps, when something major and actually really important happens with their ship he suddenly STOPS SHOWING ANYTHING FROM THEIR POINT OF VIEW. Watch any ep of Star Trek or space sci-fi. If you hit the enemy mothership and they start going down YOU SHOW THEIR POINT OF VIEW (assuming they are human and manned).

Again, another part of the ep that just came off as amateurish and terrible. I dunno, I think the direction and writing in this ep was the worst in this arc by far. It just seemed off and bad. Which is a shame since it also seemed like it was trying to be the climax as this era.

Beth Cyra

Dear god, that sounds horrible.

Couldn't help but think about how there might be an Age movie/ova. Well hopefully some people enjoyed it, and if they are really willing to let this kinda shit be animated then maybe one day I might actually get to see all the gender bends and Snow White animated in some way.

Divvy

I haven't watched it subbed yet so I was wondering where they got those
bomb
things.

Also, started rewatching 00 season 1. Still holds up pretty well. Pretty much what I wanted out of gundam. The dub is super bad though. Sergei has the dumbest voice.

Blader

Ok AGE ep27 was weird in a really bad way.

So it seemed like it was the final ep of the era and that there'd be a time skip now where Vagans grow up on earth and form their own society there with Zehart has the leader. But uh, it's not?

uh...what? Where did you get that idea?

And there's 3 eps left and suddenly they're going to start a whole new arc on earth and build it up and have a final fight immediately?

What 3 eps left? 28 is Asemu's last episode. Gen 3 starts in 29.

Also since the whole show has been ripping off prior Gundams, I think it would have been better if when Asemu and Zehart see the ship about to crash into earth, they realize they are fighting for the same thing, to protect the earth, and they both dive down below the ship and together use their UBER-MECHA to stop the fall of the ship, aka recreating the end of CCA in a way. That would have been FAR more satisfying than what happened. It would have also made more sense logically and Asemu's transformation and AsemuxZehart's friendship re-unite would actually work. Instead Hino just wrote a mess of an ep that is unsatisfying and does a crappy job at ending some of the subplots.

lol. AGE SUCKS BECAUSE OF TROPES BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE USED THIS TROPE

Bebpo

Banned
Except the problem with age 27 isn't that it uses tropes, but that it doesn't make much sense in the scheme of how the arc has been written up until this point.

Regarding the other stuff, I don't read spoilers for upcoming eps, so I have no idea what AGE3 is about. I'm Just going by what ep27 is setting up. I think it's even worse that this era ends in only one more ep as that's not much time to do any satisfying conclusion. Will be more like an epilogue. Why AGE1 gets more eps than AGE2 is beyond me when AGE2's story is much more complex.

I really liked Gundam Age ep 27. Maybe its because I was glad that
Asemu and Zehearto could actually have a moment of bonding of sorts and work together
but it really worked well.
So many emotions for Asemu and Flit in this gen of Age though. Remi and Obright plot did feel weak though I did get a bit teary eyed at it. Gorgeous sunset

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
More progress! I'd keep going, but a I had a bit too much to drink and probably shouldn't be using my knife. Also do not want to ruin model. :(

26c0839c890011e1a9f71231382044a1_7.jpg

Do any of the Japanese Gundam Blu Ray Discs have English subtitles? I know Unicorn episodes do, but what about things like the Turn A films, Char's Counterattack, or Endless Waltz?

Do any of the Japanese Gundam Blu Ray Discs have English subtitles? I know Unicorn episodes do, but what about things like the Turn A films, Char's Counterattack, or Endless Waltz?

Aside from UC, the only other Japanese blu-rays that have English subtitles are the Gundam AGE volumes.

RGM79

The green MS is called the Ankusha/Anksha, think of it as a cross between a Jegan and an Asshimar (yellow and green transforming machine used on Earth, from Zeta Gundam)

I shall watch this Gundam Unicorn Episode 5. Always wanted to see an anime girl fly through space.

And do the Boom Boom Sat's have a new album? How do I get that song?

Bebpo

Banned
aaaand AGE2 is done with. Was kind of bland as expected. It made its story points to prep the series for AGE3 and gave a boss fight if you can even call it that, but nothing interesting happened and Asemu's character development continued to change on a dime with no build up.
Suddenly he's in love with the girl and she is THE REASON HE'S FOUND TO FIGHT AND PROTECT HER.

I'm not sure if AGE2's problem was that it tried to be a real gundam and just didn't work in 13ep format so character development was left off the plate and events rushed, or if AGE2 didn't work because it was never supposed to be great and satisfying in the first place and was just a transition chapter to connect the intro (AGE1) and the end (AGE3).

The first half of AGE2 was really promising. Was kind of like SEED-lite with Zehart/Asemu, real battles in space, some serious bits. But the last half was messy and never went anywhere. AGE1 might have been more kiddy and had the worst arc in Gundam on the goofy colony, but I think it was better overall because it had a solid start and the last few eps of the Arc were good and satisfying. There's really nothing like that here. If the end of AGE1 was like the end of First Gundam, Then the end of AGE2 is more like the end of SEED Destiny :|

Still, at least the Gundam designs were much better in AGE2. Shoulder beam gundam was an embarrassing kids toy in AGE1. Fingers crossed that AGE3 Gundam designs will continue to improve and actually provide some cool Gundams. Don't have any hope for the enemy mechs though, the enemy mech designs have just been trash this whole series. The dude in ep28 is even worse than the ugly giant guy from the end of AGE1.

Oh well, looking forward to next week. Hoping AGE3 will be the true quality Gundam we've been waiting for with a UC-ish feel.

Gundam Age gen 2 done (ep 28)

Well that was fun. Guess I enjoyed Asemu Zehearto overall, definitely that aspect was missing from gen 1 with Flit, who had like no rival until Desil.
I like how Zehearto will be with us in gen 3, just hope wont die as fast as Desil did. Flit taking the EFF politics by storm was nice and the epic music when Asemu defeated Zant was cool.

Vegan suits superior in gen 2 than the EFFs, Zeydra ftw. On to Kio Asano and gen 3.

Best moment of the gen.
gundam_age__zeydra_v_age_2_by_tristtrist-d4rqolr.gif

Also watched more SEED HD (ep 12-13), its nearly as grim and tragic as Age. Wish it had as cool suits as Age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom