• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official MADWORLD Thread of No Means Yes and Yes Means A--wesome!

ivysaur12

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I've been playing this a bit today. I'm amazed Nintendo allowed this on their system, it's BRUTAL. I mean worse than Manhunt 2 brutal, I'm sure it's only the monochromatic cartoon style that allowed them to get away with murders this creative and graphic, particularly since many are conducted using the corresponding gestures with the Wiimote. Seems like a FOX News field day waiting to happen - I notice that various "family groups" are already complaining about it, and I suspect it will only get worse. Almost everything about the game seems designed to outrage, almost to the point of trying too hard. At one point I heard the in-game announcer scream "No means yes and yes means anal!" which made even me raise an eyebrow.

I should say I don't have any problems with the violence, personally I think it's hilarious and I will continue to play it. I just think the Wii is a really interesting platform for this title, perhaps for all the wrong reasons.

If it gets the game free press, than what's not great about it? I would love nothing more than to have MadWorld all over every local news in the country. What more could Sega want?

And that line is absolutely hilarious.

GDGF

Soothsayer
'No means yes and yes means anal!'

:lol That's great. I'd love to see a Madworld/Ellen giveaway video with that line as a bulletpoint.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
AceBandage said:
Nintendo hasn't regulated any content for maturity since... what? Mortal Kombat 2?
It's just stupid people that think Nintendo is only "family values".

Yeah, Mortal Kombat just stuck in too many people's heads. I raise more than a few eyebrows to the ignorant when I point out that the PS2 versions of Killer 7 and BMX XXX were censored while the GameCube versions weren't.

Pachael

ivysaur12 said:
If it gets the game free press, than what's not great about it? I would love nothing more than to have MadWorld all over every local news in the country. What more could Sega want?

And that line is absolutely hilarious.

Sega would like Madworld to sell lots of copies instead of the free publicity turning people off - see Jet Set Radio/graffiti. There was a bit of 'free' publicity about mayors complaining that the game encourages teenagers to graffiti everything in the town... and of course JSR didn't set the charts on fire (at all).

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I also got this game today and I've been playing it for about two hours now and wow. The game definitely has delivered so far. From the amazing style to the amazing soundtrack and the creativity you can do with the kills (and let me tell you...it IS brutal as fuck) makes this game instantly incredible to me! No regret in my purchase here!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Pachael said:
Sega would like Madworld to sell lots of copies instead of the free publicity turning people off - see Jet Set Radio/graffiti. There was a bit of 'free' publicity about mayors complaining that the game encourages teenagers to graffiti everything in the town... and of course JSR didn't set the charts on fire (at all).

I'm sure that had more to do with the 'wacky japanese inline skaters of the future with spraycans' genre not exactly clicking with the mainstream than any mayor's complaints, no matter how vocal.

Don't get me wrong, though. I loved the games. I'm just saying.

botticus

EmCeeGramr said:
oh god my order updated; shipped today, estimated delivery TOMORROW
Mine says it will delivery today, but since I find this highly unlikely... unless UPS updates and says it's in Cleveland in the next hour. In which case, hot damn.

Edit: Out for delivery, woot! botticus + Amazon Prime 4evar

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That's it, I'm ordering the US version off of Play-Asia.

The Homebrew Channel is a life saver.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Gino said:
Uh oh, there's a firmware update with this... I just got a WiiKey2... hope this isn't going to affect anything.

any update on this? i have my wii hacked with the homebrew channel. . . is trying to play this going to bork my system?

markatisu

beelzebozo said:
any update on this? i have my wii hacked with the homebrew channel. . . is trying to play this going to bork my system?

If you have Homebrew just use Gecko OS in order to bypass the firmware

markatisu

beelzebozo said:
no idea what that is. but i guess i'll investigate.

Its a loader that runs under Homebrew in order to boot games from other countries (like the Freeloader) as well as boot US games that have firmware updates

If you have the Homebrew Browser installed you can just to there and download it in about 1min

To PlatinumGames,

Your game is incredible. Please somehow make the Soundtrack CD and T-shirt preorder bonuses that Europe got available in the USA. If you made them available on your website, we would buy them happily.

Sincerely, the entire USA

P.S. Jack is awesome. I can't wait to see Jack cosplayers.

the commentators say many other funny things like the anal comment. they talk pretty much the entire time, but I can't always hear what they're saying becauce the on-screen action gets my attention. you can change the volume of the sound effects, commentators, and music the way you like, but they're all maxed out at 10 by default.

Chairhome

Picked up my copy of the game during lunch, saw a lot of copies behind the desk, hope they were all pre-orders cause I'd really like this game to sell a lot! Can't wait till I get home and play it...

This game is at least 2723632329891862 times worse then anything Manhunt 2 cooked up. The violence is gruesome, over the top, cringe worthy and absolutely vile.

That being said, I am enjoying the plot and narrative :D

How annoying. Not only is Amazon stating that they won't ship my copy until the 16th, but they also state that they can't cancel the order because it's being prepared. Fuckers.

bmf said:
How annoying. Not only is Amazon stating that they won't ship my copy until the 16th, but they also state that they can't cancel the order because it's being prepared. Fuckers.

My god, I haven't seen Bad Mr. Frosty for years...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Damn you all that already have it... Damn you all!

TheChillyAcademic said:
This game is at least 2723632329891862 times worse then anything Manhunt 2 cooked up. The violence is gruesome, over the top, cringe worthy and absolutely vile.

That being said, I am enjoying the plot and narrative :D
I thought you weren't going to buy it. :eek:

bmf said:

buy it in-store and hold onto the receipt. open the game and play it, and when your amazon one finally comes in, return the sealed amazon copy to the store with the receipt.

Gary Whitta said:
LOL, what plot?

go into this room and kill everyone, the end. I love how the on-screen prompt to finish someone says "Murder!" sometimes

Pachael said:

There's a reason they have the saying in Hollywood that there is no such thing as bad publicity. The way the world works, just as many people will be turned off as turned on. Not only that but violence always leaves a huge impression, graffiti doesn't. I mean do you see more daily stories about vandalism or killings, and which are more likely to be headlines?

Fuu said:
Damn you all that already have it... Damn you all!

I thought you weren't going to buy it. :eek:

Shut up whore! :lol

I decided I'd give the game a fair shake, its still a bit much for me, I can only play in tiny increments >.<

Gary Whitta said:
LOL, what plot?

I tend to gravitate towards the plot and narrative in everything...regardless if one actually exists >.< I guess part of me wants to believe Matsuno threw some hidden depth in here or there.

botticus

bmf said:
If it makes you feel any better, odds are that means it'll ship by today since the product page says it's back in stock.

Jon

So is the general consensus that this is a really fun game? I want to pick it up today so badly, but I have a gift card stuck at home, and I will not be able to retrieve it until the weekend.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Jon said:
So is the general consensus that this is a really fun game? I want to pick it up today so badly, but I have a gift card stuck at home, and I will not be able to retrieve it until the weekend.
Hard to have a consensus for now when so few of us have the game but it did receive praise in reviews (Dascu has been updating them on the OP) and those who already got it seem to be having a good time.

Jon said:

It is very fun, I'd say def pick it up, but I don't know what type of games you like... you should ask yourself if you want to get it and decide for yourself. Watch some videos and if what you see is cool to you, then go for it.

The largest drawback seems to be how short it is. I put maybe 3 hours into it last night and have more than 1/2 the city map opened... so I suppose I am more than 1/2 way through. They say that this is the type of game that should be replayed, so that helps with the length issue.

I'm having a blast playing it though and can't wait to have hard mode unlocked... I probably would have played on hard to begin with but this forces me to go through it at least twice now, which is a good thing

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
markatisu said:
I will be able to as soon as I get home from work with my copy because thats how I intend to play it

any specific settings i should use? if not, this method is NOT working. giving me "Error #2"

Gino

I just picked my copy up at gamestop. I can't wait to play this tonight after my daughter goes to bed. I just hope the update doesn't brick my Wii... I think I read the WiiKey2 is safe for all firmware updates.

Top Bottom