• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sun: PlayStation has increased the price of the original Horizon: Zero Dawn from $14.99/$19.99 to $34.99/$39.99

Cyberpunkd

Or the first batch of PS6's won't have a disc drive. The disc drive version will release six months later.
Unhinged people will double dip.
Consoles sell a fraction of their number in the first months or even the first year. It’s when it hits critical mass you get the ball rolling. Delaying the disc drive will mean nothing, PS6 will be sold out everywhere anyway.

P.S. I have a DE, didn’t buy a boxed copy in years.

Last edited:

eerik9000

Free market, baby!

They produced very little amount of them.

They will be supplied based on demand. Until the launch of Pro, there is very little use for them because buying a console with disc drive is cheaper than buying a driveless console and disc drive separately.

Astray

Suddenly everyone forgot that they gave away bunch of games including Horizon Zero Dawn for FREE DIGITALLY during covid lockdown period. Now they increased the price a little due to inflation and everyone’s coming out with pitchforks
It's not really to do with inflation, it's to protect the profit margins of the remastered version.

Otherwise, you could get a $50 product from scratch for $20.

This is actually a choice.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Double is a little and inflation just started Wednesday and only that one game is affected?
Don't get me wrong the outrage over this is excessive, but your excuse is even worse than the homework eating dog.

$20 increment over a $19.99 isn't a lot. It is still cheaper than the standard price of an AAA games

StereoVsn

I prefer this over the alternative where there is no chance for existing owners to upgrade. $10 upgrade is super reasonable, assuming the remaster itself is worth it.
There should have been no separate SKU in the first place or it should have been the $30 of base game plus $10 upgrade.

Except Sony wants as much money as it can extract from customers so here we are.

At least you can still get base game from 3rd party Steam sites on the cheap and physical PS4 copies should also be very inexpensive.

StereoVsn

They've made alot more than you seem to think. They aren't sold out for long. Maybe a few days to a week and then they are back in stock.
Yeah, or at most in a month drives will be back in stock.

Either way everything will normalize early next year post the Holidays and both Pro and Disk Drive will be available.

Pure greed

Golden State Warriors No GIF by NBA

And there will still be people defending Sony when some of us say they've changed for the worst.
They gave the game away for free to millions of users. Pure greed.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It's surely to stop people comparing the full price PS5 pro version of the game to this release and concluding something like:

"The pro version may look a little better, but it's more than 4 times the price of the original release, which plays exactly the same. Gamers who haven't played this game may want to save some money and play the original version for a lot less."

Or something like that. The PS5 Pro might have a bit of a problem with perception of value with it's high ticket price and games that look basically the same costing 4x the original release. So, I guess bumping the prices of the cheaper items is one way to fix that?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
19.99-->39.99 is a ~100% increase and that's always a lot. Doesn't matter what we are talking about, even if it's a 10-->20 Cent bubblegum.

100% increase doesn't paint the whole story. At the end of the day it is just $20. People paid more for many other things like a meal at the restaurant, movies and few months of PS Plus sub.

Filben

Really says that the Remaster is 20 bucks too expensive. If you place your base product at 20EUR because you think it's fair value but don't want to cannibalize your remaster of the same product with a 10EUR upgrade path, the new one should be exactly 30EUR.

Increasing the price of your base product as a surrogate instead, however, is poor salesmanship and bad practice. You didn't add something significant to the base product to justify the new price, it's simply there to push, as in not letting people bypass the new price, the new version.

aclar00

That’s pretty gross. Just keep both versions on PSN. Fucking Hulst and his Horizon greed. I hope this remaster fails but who am I kidding.

It will fail! My game of the gen, but im not even bothering to upgrade. Fortunately for me it's easier because the disc is in storage.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Calling it now.

PS6 won't have a disc drive.
Or the first batch of PS6's won't have a disc drive. The disc drive version will release six months later.
Unhinged people will double dip.

Never underestimate the ability to separate a fool from his money.

Sony is proper testing the water recently for some bad shit.

So why wouldn't they have the extra disc drive on day one? I don't understand your point here.

midnightAI

Well yeah, the disc based PS5 was by far the most popular model. Those who buy a Pro have physical libraries that are now useless without it.
And many people getting the PS6 are highly likely to have discs from both PS4 and PS5, so unless Sony don't make it backwards compatible which would be very silly of them then PS6 owners will still need a drive unless Sony find a way of transferring your purchased discs to PS6 digitally.

Also, here in the UK physical media is still very popular simply because it's cheaper even at launch, I got Astro for around £10 cheaper, £70 games are usually between £15-£20 cheaper.

Last edited:
Really says that the Remaster is 20 bucks too expensive. If you place your base product at 20EUR because you think it's fair value but don't want to cannibalize your remaster of the same product with a 10EUR upgrade path, the new one should be exactly 30EUR.

Increasing the price of your base product as a surrogate instead, however, is poor salesmanship and bad practice. You didn't add something significant to the base product to justify the new price, it's simply there to push, as in not letting people bypass the new price, the new version.
And to make it worse, we're talking about a digital product, a legacy one at that. There's nothing to manufacture, they've already more than gotten ROI ( and gotten a 2nd bite of the cherry with PC ports).

As you said, the issue is the price of these remasters but as I said on another forum, I think one reason why Sony is remastering these games is to reverse-engineer their value. All of these PS4 games were eventually sold for peanuts, now they're being repackaged as PS5 remasters and you'll note Sony isn't nearly as generous with MSRP drops/discounts this gen. Because why else would you go to the trouble of remastering a game that still looks great and plays great on PS5?

Last edited:

Rob_27

I presume the ps+ versions count? I have two versions and don't remember paying for them. Complete edition ? and standard.

mckmas8808

It's forcing you to purchase digital only.
People won't like it.
But people have no self control and won't wait.

Gotcha! In that case I feel like they should sell the digital only PS6 at launch WITH the attachable disc drive at at launch.

Bojji

Gotcha! In that case I feel like they should sell the digital only PS6 at launch WITH the attachable disc drive at at launch.

I bet that's their plan, partial physical support on PS6 and digital only on PS7. But maybe they will surprise us with PS6 without any DD, like they surprised us with Pro.

lifa-cobex

Absolutely.
But I feel like the PS5 pro is testing the waters to see what they can get away with for the future.

If they release a PS6 without a disc drive. They can sell it off without making much profit and advertise it as cheap.
However they have you by the balls when it comes to the actual software.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Absolutely.
But I feel like the PS5 pro is testing the waters to see what they can get away with for the future.

If they release a PS6 without a disc drive. They can sell it off without making much profit and advertise it as cheap.
However they have you by the balls when it comes to the actual software.

This is what they will do in my opinion. Just like the PS5 Pro. Buy the disc drive for an additional $80 for the PS6 if you really want it.

Top Bottom