• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sun: PlayStation has increased the price of the original Horizon: Zero Dawn from $14.99/$19.99 to $34.99/$39.99

After Pro presentation I'm sure they will keep disc drive optional on PS6. Many games won't even be released on discs most likely...
At least in US region yes they will definitely continue to make the disc drive optional because it lets them have the console price be whatever price but the real price for physical owners will be higher. A physical tax essentially

But in most other regions I expect that Sony will continue to sell the console both without and with the disc drive bundled

Oh no! A price increase on a game that if you really wanted you would have bought for $10 on sale over the last several years. But now that there is a price increase after an announcement for a cheap ass upgrade to a remaster announcement, you want to make an issue out of it 🤦‍♂️.
amazon fly GIF

laynelane

Of course they put the price up! Its an exploit they need to close if they are offering the remastered version with a discount to existing owners .

I have zero problem with it.

That makes sense. I can see why they did it now, but the optics are kind of terrible (as can be seen by the majority of comments in this thread).

OT: Despite the reasoning behind it, that is a big price jump for an older game. I have the physical copy of the game and have yet to play it, but I bought it a while ago for less than even the former 'cheap' price on the store.

Why there always shows up people defending this kind of stuff?
I’m not defending anything. Where in
my post did I say “this kind of stuff” is a good thing to do for companies??

I’ll wait.

I’m calling people out who are trashing it for no reason other than to be trolls (or to hate on PlayStation if you really want to be technical). Make it make sense why people are mad about it?

Again, I’ll wait. People have had a whole lot of time to play the game if they were interested. If not, why does it matter? There are a lot of new PlayStation adopters in the last couple of years for reasons I won’t get into here because you know what I’m talking about. Maybe people that might enjoy this game for the first time? Idk man, just seems like people are acting like they are forced to buy the game regardless if they played it before….orrrrrrr….

Because they just want to bitch about things for whatever reason they have cooked up in their hate for certain console mind 🤷‍♂️

Bitstream

But now that there is a price increase ... you want to make an issue out of it 🤦‍♂️.

I’m not defending anything.
You indicating that others are making an issue of it implies that it's not an issue for you. That's where you defended it.

Corporations: Price gouge
You: Its ok because me and everyone else already brought it when it was cheaper

ssringo

If this bothers you the solution is simple (depending on if you already own the original release):

- don't buy the base game at any price. ever.
- don't buy the upgrade at any price. ever.
- don't buy the remastered at any price. ever.

Recent months have shown how much consumers can hurt companies by spending their time and money on something that isn't bullshit. Complain all you want but if you still buy the game, they aren't going to care. There's plenty of other games out there. Buy something else that you feel is worthwhile.

I might actually give up gaming.

This issue seems minor, but it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I think I'm heading towards that point too. Sony 1st party this gen is beyond shit. Worse than PS2, PS3 and PS4 era.

Xbox shit itself and is no better.

No real groundbreaking games taking full advantage of these current gen consoles. I'm sorta interested in PS5 Pro at this point but its also crazy expensive. Right now I'd rather get bigger wheels for my car.

Sarcasm or not…agreed……..I guess.

You indicating that others are making an issue of it implies that it's not an issue for you. That's where you defended it.

Try again…you are literally putting words in my mouth. Read all of my posts again, except slower, don’t pick apart 1 or 2 sentences, and tell me I’m defending anything. I am not against what they are doing because it doesn’t affect me, that absolutely does not mean I am defending anything. Just because something isn’t an issue for me doesn’t mean I am defending it…that’s where you are confused. I am saying people that it has no impact on shouldn’t be so worked up about it for no reason.

And also, bro, don’t ever do this when trying to make a point to me…especially if your paraphrase is way off base. Don’t try to tell me what I meant with words that I didn’t say, that’s flat out disrespectful. “You: Its ok because me and everyone else already brought it when it was cheaper”.

Also, where in my post did I say I bought it??

Edit for shits and gigs. Just realized you used the term “price gouge”…tell me who told you this game is a necessity for you? Unless of course you are using the term incorrectly, or to embellish your point, or just flat out don’t really know what actual price gouging is.

Last edited:

yansolo

this shit happens on steam too, the original space marine had its price jacked up before the release of 2, since elden ring the dark souls games are still priced as new releases and are almost never on sale (lucky i bought them a few years ago when they were dirt cheap) just some examples off the top of my head. Like others have said this is why companies are pushing for all digital. Buying pre owned or borrowing games off your friends is a thing of the past.

Also why is sony pushing this game so hard like it was some massive hit? i always thought it was average at best seeing my mate play it. Is it really that popular?

Anyone who has played both who can recommend playing Zero Dawn if you've only played Forbidden West? Or are the game mechanics much more unpolished?

If you enjoyed FW you’ll enjoy ZD. Imho it is better in every way. Better story, more challenging combat, much less bloat, and none of the (literally) on rails platforming from FW.

There is one interesting side character in ZD, which is one more than FW. The difference is they don’t throw 390 characters at you in ZD like they do FW.

Last edited:
I’m not defending anything. Where in
my post did I say “this kind of stuff” is a good thing to do for companies??

I’ll wait.

I’m calling people out who are trashing it for no reason other than to be trolls (or to hate on PlayStation if you really want to be technical). Make it make sense why people are mad about it?

Again, I’ll wait. People have had a whole lot of time to play the game if they were interested. If not, why does it matter? There are a lot of new PlayStation adopters in the last couple of years for reasons I won’t get into here because you know what I’m talking about. Maybe people that might enjoy this game for the first time? Idk man, just seems like people are acting like they are forced to buy the game regardless if they played it before….orrrrrrr….

Because they just want to bitch about things for whatever reason they have cooked up in their hate for certain console mind 🤷‍♂️
I could bet most of the people complaining about this (and other recent anticonsumer Sony's cheap moves) are actually PS5 owners (like me). I have Horizon physical edición from 2017, i have the digital complete edition they gave away....

Agree!

Sorcerer

Are they trying to head off people getting a discount on the remaster?
Imagine being one of the idiots who is all in on the digital future

A fool and his money are soon parted I guess
In the near future it will only be digital. Even worse it will probably be all in the cloud sometime thereafter. If one does not accept the digital future, then the time to game has come to an end. Cloud gaming will also likely kill future emulation. When that happens retro gaming will go through the roof in prices and that will be a terrible option also unless you are happy with what you have already acquired and you can keep it all working.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Bit of scum move, this explains the £10 upgrade path. Just increase the price of the base game so people cannot get the remaster too cheap. Greedy Sony (as it always was) at its “best”. But let see how some are trying to defend it.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It was,as far as I remember. It was also offered if you had a PS5 near launch window I believe. You get to keep those specific games with PS+, they don't remove them.
The Playstation Collection? I don't think it was in that, I could be wrong though

Sorcerer

The Playstation Collection? I don't think it was in that, I could be wrong though
I don't think Horizon was in the Playstation collection, but Sony had another program where they gave a free game a month to Playstation owners to keep forever. I remember telling an associate at work who wanted the game, but never pulled the trigger. I remember she was considering Death Stranding instead. I believe a Rachet and Clank was another one of the free games.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't think Horizon was in the Playstation collection, but Sony had another program where they gave a free game a month to Playstation owners to keep forever. I remember telling an associate at work who wanted the game, but never pulled the trigger. I remember she was considering Death Stranding instead. I believe a Rachet and Clank was another one of the free games.
I remember, it was the Play at Home initiative 👍🏻

I see alot of 'we're paying for Concord' but it's not that. Anyone notice that the TLOU part 2 PS4 hasn't gone on sale in a while?That game was getting routine discounts down to $10( check Deku deals) as recently as last year. Since the PS5 remaster, they don't want you to grab the PS4 version on sale and then do the $10 upgrade, in essence circumventing the $50 MSRP.

It's the same with Zero Dawn. In fact it's worse because with TLOU2, the MSRP had dropped to $40, so they merely stopped offering 75% off. They're actually RAISING Zero Dawn's price from $20 to $40, which is a special breed of scummy. Basically if you didn't take advantage of the $10 deals before, too bad so sad. But actually RAISING the price of a digital catalog release, something they've long made their money back on, something which is an intangible set of 1s and 0s with infinite 'stock', something they felt had devalued enough due to passage of time to be worth $20, a game they were GIVING AWAY during the lockdown 'play at home' initiatives.....like that Starfleet Admiral said in 'Picard':

"Sheer fucking hubris"

This is what happens when you don't have competition breathing down your neck to keep you in check. Last gen I was able to grab off PSN TLOU remastered, GOW, Until Dawn, Uncharted 4/LL, Zero Dawn all under $10 and Spiderman GOTY and Bloodborne for under $20. All of those purchases came within like 2 years of the games release. We are long, long past the Sony who was doing those kinds of promotions.

Last edited:

RCU005

Welcome to the world of digital downloads.

Enjoy your digital bullshit

This doesn't have to do anything about being digital. If they were able to rise the physical copies, they would. This is about them being a POS, because they don't want people to buy the vanilla cheap just to upgrade.

I only care about whether the free PS+ version is eligible for the upgrade. Everyone who cared got that free with their PS5 anyway.

Do you mean the PS+ games that they gave away years ago with 20+ titles? I don't see why it wouldn't be elegible, since it's yours. If you mean via PS+ monthly games, then absolutely not.

Last edited:
I think I'm heading towards that point too. Sony 1st party this gen is beyond shit. Worse than PS2, PS3 and PS4 era.

Xbox shit itself and is no better.

No real groundbreaking games taking full advantage of these current gen consoles. I'm sorta interested in PS5 Pro at this point but its also crazy expensive. Right now I'd rather get bigger wheels for my car.
I don't think I'd give up gaming, unless you mean modern gaming and the AAA side. Recently most of my gaming has been on my Legion Go emulating old stuff and playing Indies. If you stick with the smaller games, smaller companies and avoid the Sonys,Microsoft/ABKs, EAs, Ubisofts of the world you can generally avoid some of the nonsense plaguing the industry. I just prefer to support the Indie companies in general, it's like shopping at your local mom and pop over Walmart when you can.

The only major company I really like now is Capcom. They just consistently drop great games and have mostly avoided some of the bullshit practices the other companies do. I hope it stays that way.

Same. Companies are raking in more profit than they ever have and it's never enough. Feels like everything from necessitates to fun have found ways to fuck us

My energy bills averaged 120-150 and are now 225 minimum and even though I didn't even run the AC more than a few hours each week just to rid my place of humidity in July my bill was nearly 500 fucking dollars!

I'm tired

Just so so tired

And it's not like I don't make decent money either, but it's crazy how I didn't change how much I live in the past year, even spending less, but my checks sure do feel borderline paycheck to paycheck

If anyone ever told me 110K would feel like this I'd say you're crazy

$500..!! WT Heck?
Invest in a solar if you live in a house. I have nearly 4.2kw solar setup and pay meagre bills with mybhybrid setup. Also, it feels good I am doing my part for the environment.

This is the company you lot worship

kek

PC owners are the king of their own eco system. Once you get over the initial hurdle of buying a gaming rig, its plain sailing with dirt cheap games, emulation, mods and so much more.

You can grab a PC version for as low as $10.

I might actually give up gaming.
This issue seems minor, but it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Just save $150 every month for the next 24 months. And each of you can belong to the PC master race.
I am saving for the same and ditching these drunk greedy console companie, esp. Sony and MS. I am not supporting these BS companies woth my wallet.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Happy I got it on Steam during last sale for 12.50€, I don't think the game will now go on sale ever, and the base version will get delisted once the remake launches.

Top Bottom