• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sun: PlayStation has increased the price of the original Horizon: Zero Dawn from $14.99/$19.99 to $34.99/$39.99

Robb

Gold Member
A company doing something to screw over consumers? Well I never!
Cat Omg GIF

Sony’s already killed it by leaving it out of the Pro.

Nintendo will watch and follow.
I have to wonder. Nintendo I think has more 'collectors' and I'm pretty sure their split of physical/digital encourages physical to stick around for the foreseeable future. Consumer patterns on PlayStation/Xbox ( especially the latter) inform their platform holders to push digital only hardware.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Just save $150 every month for the next 24 months. And each of you can belong to the PC master race.
I am saving for the same and ditching these drunk greedy console companie, esp. Sony and MS. I am not supporting these BS companies woth my wallet.

That's £3600. That's a lot of money to play games, not to mention th cost of games as well.

I might however just grab a lower spec laptop and spend the rest of my life playing Football Manager and older Total War games. That'll do me.

Regginator

I feel filthy for "defending" a billion dollar corp, and it's definitely shitty from a surface level, but obviously they do this in order to stop people from getting the PS4 version dirt cheap and then only paying 10 bucks for the PS5 upgrade.
And if I were to play the devil's advocate, at the end of the day, the overwhelmingly vast majority of potentially interested players already have this version (either bought or free during COVID), and if for whatever miraculous reason you've missed out, then nothing really changes for you🤷‍♂️: the remaster will still cost 50 bucks, and now the PS4>PS5 route costs 50 bucks too.

DryvBy

$500..!! WT Heck?
Invest in a solar if you live in a house. I have nearly 4.2kw solar setup and pay meagre bills with mybhybrid setup. Also, it feels good I am doing my part for the environment.

PC owners are the king of their own eco system. Once you get over the initial hurdle of buying a gaming rig, its plain sailing with dirt cheap games, emulation, mods and so much more.

You can grab a PC version for as low as $10.

Just save $150 every month for the next 24 months. And each of you can belong to the PC master race.
I am saving for the same and ditching these drunk greedy console companie, esp. Sony and MS. I am not supporting these BS companies woth my wallet.
I have a PC and it's much more expensive.

graywolf323

obviously this sucks but I have a question for everyone that is treating it like some unique evil, what’s your counter proposal? obviously they aren’t going to offer the $10 upgrade while having a way to buy the old version and the upgrade for far less than the remaster costs

so would you rather they didn’t have the $10 upgrade? I have a feeling most of you would be complaining about that instead then, plus they’re even offering the $10 upgrade for people that got the game for FREE from the Play At Home Initiative

Correction: Welcome to the world of Sony controlling your one digital game store.
except as has been pointed out several times in this thread Sony isn’t remotely the only or first publisher to do this

I feel filthy for "defending" a billion dollar corp, and it's definitely shitty from a surface level, but obviously they do this in order to stop people from getting the PS4 version dirt cheap and then only paying 10 bucks for the PS5 upgrade.
And if I were to play the devil's advocate, at the end of the day, the overwhelmingly vast majority of potentially interested players already have this version (either bought or free during COVID), and if for whatever miraculous reason you've missed out, then nothing really changes for you🤷‍♂️: the remaster will still cost 50 bucks, and now the PS4>PS5 route costs 50 bucks too.
yep I mean Zero Dawn has sold what? 25 million copies?

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
except as has been pointed out several times in this thread Sony isn’t remotely the only or first publisher to do this

My comment to the person I replied to is that this isn’t a “digital store” problem. It’s not. It’s a digital console problem.

Having a platform where that single platform holder controls the only store you’re allowed to buy from is the problem.

Not sure what you’re replying about?

Last edited:

Obviously, but this is legit from a consumer perspective. It's not cheating. The reasoning is correct, but not as a justification. Those remasters (every remaster) should only exist as an update patch, not as a new title.

No they're not. I buy physical and physical is typically way cheaper. For example, guy look at Woot.com and see those Nintendo games? $40 each. On the console, it's $60 still.

I've been on Steam for some 19 years. What you're saying used to be the truth.

Steam is not the only platform for buying games.

For instance, Horizon Forbidden West on PS Store is selling at $30 at the moment.

You can buy the same game from GameBillet at $19 and GameSeal for $10.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I didn't ( I don't think my comment inferred I did?). I'm saying the moment we gave the publishers an inch, they took a mile.
You said "we" should have said "fuck you" at horse armor, implying you were part of the "we" that bought it but shouldn't have.

Gamers aren't a homogeneous group. There was nothing "gamers" could have done to stop paid cosmetic DLC at the time. It's always been an optional thing. Plenty of people at the time called horse armor stupid and refused to buy it, which is really all we can do. There's no organized gamer union or anything.

Raising the price of the digital game ahead of the remaster is another moment for gamers to push back and not buy, but if there's a physical PS5 release for $50 a lot of people complaining about this digital price increase would run straight out and buy the disc for their collection, praising it as Sony showing love to physical bros.

You said "we" should have said "fuck you" at horse armor, implying you were part of the "we" that bought it but shouldn't have.
'We' could just as easily imply the greater gaming population but I'm not going to get in the semantics of how you perceived the comment. I did not buy horse armour but I didn't separate myself by saying 'you' as if I exist in a bubble. Its just how I phrased the comment, so hopefully that is clear now.

Anyways I didn't say gamers were a homogeneous group but generally companies push as far as they think the consumer can go and the general gaming populace more or less said it was OK, same with something like paying for online gaming( on the console side).

Last edited:

Inanilmaz

this shit happens on steam too, the original space marine had its price jacked up before the release of 2, since elden ring the dark souls games are still priced as new releases and are almost never on sale (lucky i bought them a few years ago when they were dirt cheap) just some examples off the top of my head. Like others have said this is why companies are pushing for all digital. Buying pre owned or borrowing games off your friends is a thing of the past.

Also why is sony pushing this game so hard like it was some massive hit? i always thought it was average at best seeing my mate play it. Is it really that popular?
Im sick of seeing this game

laynelane

No they're not. I buy physical and physical is typically way cheaper. For example, guy look at Woot.com and see those Nintendo games? $40 each. On the console, it's $60 still.

I've been on Steam for some 19 years. What you're saying used to be the truth.

I recently looked up a game price (SMT V) on Steam, the PS store, and the physical version. It was most expensive on Steam (full price) and least expensive on PSN (sale price). Physical was in the middle in this case. It just goes to show that price fluctuations do exist (sale prices, in particular) and, no, games are not always cheaper on PC. As well, I also buy physical and agree that it's normally cheaper than any digital store.

Bojji

I recently looked up a game price (SMT V) on Steam, the PS store, and the physical version. It was most expensive on Steam (full price) and least expensive on PSN (sale price). Physical was in the middle in this case. It just goes to show that price fluctuations do exist (sale prices, in particular) and, no, games are not always cheaper on PC. As well, I also buy physical and agree that it's normally cheaper than any digital store.

You should compare normal price vs normal price, physical will almost always win. I also sold SMTV for 80% of money I paid for it, that's the biggest advantage of discs.

Sales are temporary, usually when I want to buy some game on Steam/PSN it's not on any sale lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Insider Gaming also reporting on this now.

First spotted by GamePittReviews and verified by Insider Gaming, Sony has quietly raised the price of Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition on the PlayStation Store. For the better part of the last six years, the game had been $19.99/£15.99 on the PlayStation Store. However, as of September 25, the price has jumped up to $39.99/£34.99 on the store, doubling its cost.

BlakeofT

I prefer this over the alternative where there is no chance for existing owners to upgrade. $10 upgrade is super reasonable, assuming the remaster itself is worth it.

I like how physical dinosaurs are spinning this on it being digital but not looking at the real problem which is sony and their greed.

What does Sony's greed have to do with digital? This isn't the norm.
Yeah true, I should have been more detailed lol. Should have said digital pricing is typically more expensive in general and I noticed some of the digital prices went up like the Souls games for example so it’s no surprise that Sony has joined in on the price increases as well based on their current trajectory. Yeah, I did kind of go off topic though when Sony is the primary subject here.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Suddenly everyone forgot that they gave away bunch of games including Horizon Zero Dawn for FREE DIGITALLY during covid lockdown period. Now they increased the price a little due to inflation and everyone’s coming out with pitchforks

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
nah, it's a world without competition, MS killed themselves, but the fanboys cheered about MS pulling out of the race. These are the consequences.

You wanted no competition, here is a world with no competition: 4 years in and endless remasters of PS4 games.

Most of us didn't cheer for MS to pull out the race. We didn't like that they were spending $80 Billion to buy a few major publishers that housed over 15 separate studios. If anybody was cheering it would have been because they didn't like MS trying to buy their way out of the mess they've created for themselves.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I want a digital only future, but with the prices of before the digital only future.

You know, when you could buy a 2 year old AAA game for €10 in a sale. :(

Why are you against a company like Sony releasing an attachable disc drive for people that want it?

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Now they increased the price a little due to inflation and everyone’s coming out with pitchforks
Double is a little and inflation just started Wednesday and only that one game is affected?
Don't get me wrong the outrage over this is excessive, but your excuse is even worse than the homework eating dog.

Last edited:

NEbeast

nah, it's a world without competition, MS killed themselves, but the fanboys cheered about MS pulling out of the race. These are the consequences.

You wanted no competition, here is a world with no competition: 4 years in and endless remasters of PS4 games.
This is utter shite. Didn't Cyberpunk and the witcher do the same thing? I guess MS made them do it too? This is normal. It sucks but let's not spew utter bullshit.

Bojji

They've made alot more than you seem to think. They aren't sold out for long. Maybe a few days to a week and then they are back in stock.

We will see, so far everyone that wanted drive had entire console SKU for them to choose before buying console, disc drives were a niche product. Now A LOT of people wants to buy them for Pro.

lifa-cobex

Calling it now.

PS6 won't have a disc drive.
Or the first batch of PS6's won't have a disc drive. The disc drive version will release six months later.
Unhinged people will double dip.

Never underestimate the ability to separate a fool from his money.

Sony is proper testing the water recently for some bad shit.

Last edited:

Bojji

Calling it now.

PS6 won't have a disc drive.
Or the first batch of PS6's won't have a disc drive. The disc drive version will release six months later.
Unhinged people will double dip.

Never underestimate the ability to separate a fool from his money.

Yeah, I bet it will be optional from day 1. Many games also will be digital only.

This is Sony/Publishers ultimate goal and they are getting there, cheered by idiots that promote digital future. Those idiots will pay higher prices as well, haha.

Top Bottom