• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
With everybody relevant quitting, wouldn't that be a sign for England to revert to absolute monarchy? I mean, if nobody else wants to govern anyhow.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yep. People thinking this is part of a negotiating strategy are completely misreading things. This makes us look truly awful, and they will absolutely call our bluff. The sight of the U.K. marching working people who came here legally down to the docks to deport them would destroy us on the world stage. The impact on the economy would be as bad as long term brexit.

It should be removed off the table, instantly. Anything else is disgusting and amoral, and a betrayal of the people who live and work here.

Its unavoidable though. Why should a migrant from an EU nation be treated differently than someone from a non-EU one? Its not about "marching people to the docks", its about legal status following a potential annulment of special conditions for being an EU member.

It cuts both ways, because until that deal is done bilaterally its always very much a "live" political time-bomb.

For this reason its also a strong point of leverage to get the EU to the table prior to article 50 being triggered, whether they like it or not.

Audioboxer

George Osborne has pledged to cut corporation tax to encourage businesses to continue investing in the UK following the EU referendum vote.

In an interview with the Financial Times, the chancellor said he would reduce the rate to below 15% - some 5% lower than its current 20% rate.

That would give the UK the lowest corporation tax of any major economy.

But former World Trade Organization chief Pascal Lamy said Mr Osborne had to consider what the EU would think.

He told the BBC the chancellor's plan would be seen as in effect the start of Brexit negotiations, and starting with tax was not the right way to go about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36699642

Audioboxer

And how's he funding that? Unless that cut increases business revenue across the UK by 25%, that'll make a loss.

Ah well, what's a few more fucked over disabled people, eh?

Same way we always do it. Sell off whatever assets we still own, screw disabled people and privatise more of the NHS.

And how's he funding that? Unless that cut increases business revenue across the UK by 25%, that'll make a loss.

Ah well, what's a few more fucked over disabled people, eh?

That's not necessarily the case. There are all sorts of side effects of larger business activity. ie. if a business decides to invest more heavily in the UK instead of another country as a result of this change, then those extra jobs created can be ascribed to the corp tax cut, along with all the income tax and NI they pay; all the local boost that those jobs give (ie restaurants, shops, bars etc), local transport etc etc. Actually calculating this is difficult, but it happens nonetheless (in fact, it's almost exactly the same argument brought in favour of higher minimum wages or more generous welfare payments - that they often pay for themselves via their stimulatory activity).

Osbourne to Nestlé: So how about that privatization of water, eh?

Was/is he that bad?

Our water's already privatised?

RedShift

Truly horrifying that none of the people who campaigned for leave will stick around to make good on their outrageous promises. We're going to have a PM making the biggest change to this country in ages who can totally disown all the lies used to argue for that change.

We need a GE within the year.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So I just checked the figures and 70.2% of Labour constituencies voted Leave. If you exclude Labour's London constituencies, that figure is 87.2%.

Labour fighting a pro-Remain campaign in a GE would be suicide without a significant shift in public opinion first. I think strategically it would be better just to fight it as normal and try to get a hung parliament just to delay things as long as possible in the hopes that opinion shift occurs. Otherwise, Labour is going to officially be the party of the London metropolitan elite; you'd be looking at a UKIP opposition.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So the arsonists have left the burning building, and the bystanders are arguing who should play the fireman?

I have to say.. I like Andrea Leadsom,,,

She came across quite badly today i thought, nervous, unsure are hardly things we need at this time. We need someone strong, confident and willing to stand up for the country when the real shit hits the fan shortly.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is this real anymore? Is this just a skit now? Is this the famous british humour? Is Monthy Python back? What is this? What are you doing?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So I just checked the figures and 70.2% of Labour constituencies voted Leave. If you exclude Labour's London constituencies, that figure is 87.2%.

Labour fighting a pro-Remain campaign in a GE would be suicide without a significant shift in public opinion first. I think strategically it would be better just to fight it as normal and try to get a hung parliament just to delay things as long as possible in the hopes that opinion shift occurs. Otherwise, Labour is going to officially be the party of the London metropolitan elite; you'd be looking at a UKIP opposition.

Shouldn't the liberals be the party of the metropolitan elite rather than the Labour? At least this seems to be the case in the countries where liberals are relevant, I think.

Exports from the UK to the EU shrunk from 55% to 45% in the last 10 years, other markets become more important.

I thought I answered regarding which specific sectors will expand as a result of leaving the EU, maybe I am wrong and I missed it before - that's not the right question to ask. The (long term) benefits (as I see them) aren't to any specific sector, they are to all sectors at once. Due to less regulation and being able to strike deals on our own instead of relying on a highly inertial alliance to do that for us.

I agree with everything else, it is going to take time, yes, and there are no guarantees.
Other markets became important recently because the EU has been undergoing an economic downturn. And still accounts for the plurality of UK trade.

What specific regulation are you referring to that the EU imposed upon the British economy so onerous such that leaving the yoke of Brussels will transform the UK back into a manufacturing and agricultural trading powerhouse, to offset the loss of financial services trade.
Evidence that EU regulations stifled British creativity, innovation, competition and growth is thin on the ground. The OECD assesses that the UK has the second lowest level of product market regulation among its members, just below the Netherlands. There is no figure for the US in 2013.

The differences between EU member states in this measure and in assessments of labour market regulation suggests that, far from harmonising practices across member states, Brussels’ rules allow countries to maintain their own rules to have highly or lightly regulated economies.

Britain has a good record in international league tables and by far the most costly regulations are not shown here, such as rules governing planning and the use of land. There is no guarantee that repatriating regulatory activity from Brussels will not make the rules worse. Such repatriation will itself be a massive bureaucratic undertaking. It would be better to improve the regulatory environment where Britain has always been in control, but failed to take action.
http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fd00718f4-370b-11e6-a780-b48ed7b6126f

What will a new ministry of trade have to do after the country breaks off with the EU to replace current trading relationships? Sign a deal with the remaining 27 members of the EU, come to an arrangement with about 50 additional countries with which the EU has preferential deals, or all the remaining 161 members of the World Trade Organisation?

A bilateral deal with the bloc is likely to take years to negotiate, say experienced trade negotiators. Barack Obama, US president, has also cautioned that Britain would be “at the back of the queue” for a US-UK trade deal.
https://next.ft.com/content/0260242c-370b-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7

kmag

So UK construction had imploded pre-ref. I'm sure things will improve now....nurse, nurse

Lower levels of activity were overwhelmingly linked to deteriorating order books and a corresponding lack of new work to replace completed projects.

A number of firms commented on reluctance among clients to commence new contracts in the run-up to the EU referendum, alongside ongoing uncertainty about the general economic outlook

This dragged Markit’s construction PMI down to 46.0 in June, down from 51.2 in May.

Any reading below 50 shows a contraction, and 46.0 is the lowest reading since September 2009.

Most of the survey was conducted before the results was known, on June 24.

But hey, "things won't be rosy" for a while. It's not like it's actual folks livelihoods involved here.

So UK construction had imploded pre-ref. I'm sure things will improve now....nurse, nurse

But hey, "things won't be rosy" for a while. It's not like it's actual folks livelihoods involved here.

Yeah and this is happening already, god only knows how bad this will become, frankly i think the so called "project fear" underestimated the incoming damage.

f0rk

Thanks, I was looking for this number when that votes by party info graphic was doing the rounds. It's much more revealing about the problem Labour has, and the disconnect between Corbyn rallies and the actual views of the country.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Shouldn't the liberals be the party of the metropolitan elite rather than the Labour? At least this seems to be the case in the countries where liberals are relevant, I think.

Liberals aren't really the party of anyone right now.

I think you can blame the UK's electoral system, though. The fight you can only have two parties has meant that the Labour party leadership has always been contested between the working class wing and the metropolitan wing. The metropolitan wing won for good in '97, and crushed all dissent for the next decade and a half. This is the result.

kmag

Yeah and this is happening already, god only knows how bad this will become, frankly i think the so called "project fear" underestimated the incoming damage.

I'm just going by anecdotal evidence at the minute, but so many friends and acquaintances are reporting the same thing: cancelled or indefinitely postponed orders (lots of brexit clauses out there), hiring freezing and non perms let go.

Oh, Britain, why have your politicians gone full retard?!? This is not supposed to happen! This is supposed to be something that only happens in American politics! We're supposed to be the sober, sensible European counterpart :-(((

It's kind of telling that the whole Trump circus has almost completely vanished from the news cycle this side of the Atlantic. British politics more "entertaining" than Donald Trump confirmed. Fucking hell!

Micael

Its unavoidable though. Why should a migrant from an EU nation be treated differently than someone from a non-EU one? Its not about "marching people to the docks", its about legal status following a potential annulment of special conditions for being an EU member.

It cuts both ways, because until that deal is done bilaterally its always very much a "live" political time-bomb.

For this reason its also a strong point of leverage to get the EU to the table prior to article 50 being triggered, whether they like it or not.

Except it's an extremely empty leverage when the UK would be losing far far more than the EU on this, it would create a level of global discontent that would surely reflect on any future negotiations not only with the EU, but with other countries, since there is absolutely no way that the UK would be seen as anything but vile assholes in this situation, in a time ofc where the UK isn't being seen as the brightest or reasonable of countries.

More importantly could be wrong but doesn't the NHS depend heavily on immigrants for it to work?
Because if it does, then we have an hilarious situation where the UK is threatening to have an even worse health care system, in a time of economic uncertainty, in the middle of being on the weak side of a negotiation agreement.

Even if we dismiss all of this, it's an extremely weak bargaining chip, considering we are talking about sending a relatively small % of the UK population back to 27 countries, which means the amount of "damage" to each country is really quite minor.
Assuming ofc this wouldn't be a net positive for quite a few of those countries.

I'm just going by anecdotal evidence at the minute, but so many friends and acquaintances are reporting the same thing: cancelled or indefinitely postponed orders (lots of brexit clauses out there), hiring freezing and non perms let go.
Regarding other industries as well, banks and housing are the obvious impacts:
ONE of the first results to be declared on referendum night was that of Sunderland, in north-eastern England. Remarkably, 61% voted to leave the EU, despite the fact that 7,000 local jobs depend on the city’s Nissan car plant, which exports just over half its cars to Europe. Nissan had warned about the risks to carmaking in Britain if the country were to leave the EU, but few listened. It summed up a disastrous night for business and the economy.

Cars are not the only industry at risk. Banks are talking about moving jobs abroad (see article). Airlines are charting new courses: Ryanair will divert $1 billion of investment in new aeroplanes from Britain towards the rest of the EU, and Wizz, a Hungarian rival, says it will make no more investments in Britain after the winter.

Pharmaceutical firms are nervous. Brexit would restrict access to European research funds worth $1 billion. Stéphane Boissel, the boss of TxCell, a French biotech company, says he will no longer team up with British researchers, for fear of losing EU funding. The drug industry will suffer from stricter immigration policies. In Cambridge, one-third of researchers are foreign nationals. Much regulatory work in pharma is undertaken by the European Medicines Agency, an EU body based in London—though perhaps not for long.
Everywhere companies are drawing in their horns. The Institute of Directors says one-quarter of its members plan to halt recruitment, and 5% plan redundancies. Adzuna, a jobs website, had one-quarter fewer new listings the Monday after Brexit than it had the previous week.

Theresa May can deport a third of Cambridge researchers. That sounds like a great idea.

Maledict

Thanks, I was looking for this number when that votes by party info graphic was doing the rounds. It's much more revealing about the problem Labour has, and the disconnect between Corbyn rallies and the actual views of the country.

Well, it gets even weirder when you think that Corbyn isn't in tune with those metropolitan elites despite them being his voting base. Corbyn wants to leave Europe.

As Crab says, it's partly due to our system which only lets two parties ultimately ein. I really loathe Prescott and the others in labour that blocked any shift towards PR.

I still think labour is in the middle of the transition that the democrats made in the USA - shifting from white working class to an urban, educated voting base. Unfortunatley the numbers aren't there in the UK for that coalition to work just yet.

oti

Banned
Religious godbothering fanatic who has signed up the brexit have your cake and eat it fantasy of single market access sans freedom of movement.

What's not to like?

She wants to make UK the greatest nation in the world! What are you? A commie? *Oh no wait, wrong English speaking country.* What are you? French?

Maledict

In terms of damage to the country, in the public sector - we've just had to put the kibosh on a human trafficking project that covered multiple London boroughs, Greece and Sweden. It was going to be funded through an EU grant stream, and we've spent months building it. That's the sort of thing that simply doesn't happen outside the EU

There's so many really long term, public interest things that happen via and through the EU that will cease to be as a result of this. Hell, I can't think of the last time I went to a nature reserve and didn't see that EU flag somewhere for providing funding / does anyone think that will now come from central government?

Well.. the other choice seems to be the evil Sith Lord herself..

I have never liked May, horrible individual, but this nutter is way worse. She thinks she will go to sleep wake up and everything will be fixed, frankly she lives in the clouds and give me Sith Lady May anytime.

In terms of damage to the country, in the public sector - we've just had to put the kibosh on a human trafficking project that covered multiple London boroughs, Greece and Sweden. It was going to be funded through an EU grant stream, and we've spent months building it. That's the sort of thing that simply doesn't happen outside the EU

There's so many really long term, public interest things that happen via and through the EU that will cease to be as a result of this. Hell, I can't think of the last time I went to a nature reserve and didn't see that EU flag somewhere for providing funding / does anyone think that will now come from central government?

That 350m will have to stretch an awful lot to fund NHS and everything else...........

El Topo

I'm waiting for the BBC to reveal that this is all just part of their new, super high-budget hidden camera show "I can't believe something so incredibly insane and stupid could happen and it keeps on getting worse".

So, given what's happened recently I may be reading too much into this but I was walking around our nearest City and I was behind two 'chavs' (for want of a better word) and as this young Asian kid (probably about 16) passed them, they both turned around and stared at the guy. Now, I had headphones in so I couldn't say but I didn't think they said anything but just the look was... horrible. I can't really explain it. So, I'm approaching them and I'm like 'fuck, these guys are clearly dicks' and they let me pass them even saying 'sorry mate' for taking up the path meanwhile they're still staring at this Asian kid.

Maybe the reports of post-Brexit violence have me too suspicious but it seemed off.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Imagine being Osbourne now. No matter what you do, you will hurt people and they will hate you for it.
He's managed to maintain a reputation for being a safe pair of hands in spite of being probably the worst post-war chancellor, I don't see why that would stop now.

Something like ~85% of Labour MPs are in pro-Leave seats; it's not entirely surprising.

I don't see labour adopting a remain position if there is an election,because they will be too scared of their working class voters.

Realising this, I am now very pessimistic anor the chances of avoiding Brexit.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I'm waiting for the BBC to reveal that this is all just part of their new, super high-budget hidden camera show "I can't believe something so incredibly insane and stupid could happen and it keeps on getting worse".
We're living The Thick of It season five.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom