• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
I demand a second referendum.

This one would be irrevocable and legally binding, and would have written into it a requirement for 50% of eligible voters to choose a side for it to be accepted into law. There would be a legal obligation for all campaigning to be vetted by a neutral third party for accuracy. Both sides would agree to take the final result in good faith and fully support the decision of the British people - this time taken in full understanding of the true facts.

The wording would be as follows:

I believe that David Cameron is:
[ ] A spineless cockwomble
[ ] A brainless assmonkey

I will be campaigning for Team Cockwomble, but I respect all of you in the Assmonkey camp, and may the best men/women/undecideds win.

I know ticking both boxes would result in a spoiled ballot, but still.... I feel both are accurate.

Zelias

Banned
I demand a second referendum.

This one would be irrevocable and legally binding, and would have written into it a requirement for 50% of eligible voters to choose a side for it to be accepted into law. There would be a legal obligation for all campaigning to be vetted by a neutral third party for accuracy. Both sides would agree to take the final result in good faith and fully support the decision of the British people - this time taken in full understanding of the true facts.

The wording would be as follows:

I will be campaigning for Team Cockwomble, but I respect all of you in the Assmonkey camp, and may the best men/women/undecideds win.
I'm sympathetic to some of the Cockwomble arguments, but I don't think you have a plan for if you win. Only by voting Assmonkey can we all move forward.

nOoblet16

What if Blair was still an MP?

I suppose if he was the Tories would never have won and none of this would have happened, on this other hand this whole thing is on Cameron. Amazing how one man makes a difference for generations to come.

Like the good old days that weren't ever really there.

Make Britain Great Again!

From the Suez crisis to the winter of discontent, and so to the miner's strike and the dominance of the city, we look to our past and say 'that's my bag'.

HOLY SHIT GUYS BANANA REPUBLIC CONFIRMED

'Dear friend,

I am Mr. David Campbell, a staff of a bank in United Kingdom. One of our accounts, with holding balance has been dormant and last operated many years ago. Nobody has done anything as regards the claiming of this money. This is because the account owner has no family member or friends that are traceable. I have tried to locate the relations but without success and that is why I decided to find a reliable partner to move the money with.

My proposition to you is to seek your consent to present you as the Next of kin and beneficiary of this late client, So that the proceeds of this account shall be paid to you, and then we can share the amount on a mutually agreed percentage.

This transaction is totally free of risk and troubles as the fund is legitimate and does not originate from drug, money laundry, terrorism or any other illegal act. The funds will be released to you after necessary processes have been followed.

I anticipate your cooperation and utmost confidence. Awaiting your reply stating your willingness.

Regards

David Campbell

Spam email pretending to be not from Lagos, but from the UK! We're fucked.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
What if Blair was still an MP?

I suppose if he was the Tories would never have won and none of this would have happened, on this other hand this whole thing is on Cameron. Amazing how one man makes a difference for generations to come.

we'd probably be at war with Syria.

Daffy Duck

HkeW0lE.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there any info on what the turnout was for labour voters? Corbyn was amazing at getting young people to join labour to help vote him in, and would likely have spurred lots of young voters to vote in the referendum, but was basically useless during campaigning. Not sure why he seemed to leave it to the conservatives, it wasn't a party political thing

It's hard to totally blame Cameron though. He wasn't exactly given any choice in the matter. This goes back to divisions in the Tory party that pulled down Thatcher and never really healed. It goes back to a relentless media over the past 10 years demanding an in-out referendum. It goes back to the Global Economic Crises. It goes back to the rise of UKIP.

Still, he played a blinder on leaving ;)

Hazzuh

Oliver fucking Lewtin is being put in charge of the government's Brexit plans.

For people who don't know who Oliver Lewtin is:

In 1985 Letwin and then MP Hartley Booth co-authored a five-page document as members of then-Prime Minister Thatcher's policy unit in response to the widespread 1985 unrest in Britain’s inner cities – with riots in Broadwater Farm estates in Tottenham, North London, Handsworth, Brixton, Peckham and Toxteth. In the paper Letwin and Booth urged "Thatcher to ignore reports that rioting in mainly black urban areas was the result of social deprivation and racism." In 1985 Letwin was then considered to be a "young star" of the Conservative Party. The memo scorned suggestions by senior cabinet ministers to set up a £10m communities programme to tackle inner-city problems by helping black entrepreneurs start businesses as suggested by then-Home Secretary David Young, refurbishing public housing council blocks as suggested by then-Environment Secretary Kenneth Baker and "establishing training programs for low-income youth." Letwin claimed it would not ameliorate the situation but would do little more than "subsidise Rastafarian arts and crafts workshops" stating that black "entrepreneurs will set up in the disco and drug trade."

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Could we do an "Iceland" and come out of economic calamity in a better state?

We Could, but no one is telling us how. I hope that behind the scenes despite what they are saying is a back channel to get a favourable deal for all.
EU will slap us on the writs hard. We are EEA residents retain right to move to Europe And trade

Now the government must help fund universities , farming , manufacturing , Nhs and male a positive change . If they cannot then we fail .

Maybe a bad analogy but we must reboot ourselves go back to the make do and men's attitude and well who knows. Otherwise 17 million and more can leave the UK move too Europe while the island is left to be run by those that want to stay ? It's been weird enough these last few days so I dunno . Trying to remain positive is all

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Reminds me of the BBC News segment where they informally polled a building site. All but two of the labourers (one black guy, one brown guy) said Leave.

You can't make this shit up. It's like everyone wants the job of complaining about the lack of jobs.

What's the opposite of having your cake and eating it? I guess the closest applicable in this case is cutting off your nose to spite your face

nOoblet16

It's hard to totally blame Cameron though. He wasn't exactly given any choice in the matter. This goes back to divisions in the Tory party that pulled down Thatcher and never really healed. It goes back to a relentless media over the past 10 years demanding an in-out referendum. It goes back to the Global Economic Crises. It goes back to the rise of UKIP.

Still, he played a blinder on leaving ;)
He could have built the referendum in a way that makes sure leave doesn't win.

Ugh, Letwin is my MP. He's a slimeball. He's also responsible for Thatcher's poll tax.

I'll be searching local bins for confidential plans.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Seems like MPS actually have to vote on this for a new bill to actually pass the referendum:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.in...n-a7105181.html?amp?client=ms-android-om-lge#

There are so many hurdles to this thing actually standing a chance of happening.

Much as I respect Geoffrey Robertson QC, I think he is wrong on this.

This about treaty negotiation, which is entirely within the Royal Prerogative exercised by the PM. No law needs to be passed to do it. No Parliamentary vote is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom