• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbo

dMf1Nhc.jpg

The weather forecast said it would be warm today, but Bill understood that no one can accurately predict the future, and so he wore a woollen hat.

Bill's an idiot.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
dMf1Nhc.jpg

will the referendum nightmare ever end?

There's nothing that gets on my nerves quite like "Hey, i voted to inflict damage to <group of people that aren't like me>, but YOU CAN'T JUDGE ME FOR THAT"
Yeah, i sure can. By god and the queen, i fucking will. Voting (and not voting) has real consequences, and it's amazing how a lot of people pretend it doesn't.

liquidtmd

Banned
Vote Leave chief executive Matthew Elliott backed Mr Cameron's decision to delay the "divorce" for several months while a new prime minister is chosen, despite pressure from Brussels for a rapid departure.

"I don't think we need to rush this process," he told US TV channel CNBC.

"During the campaign there was talk about triggering article 50 and its process of leaving the EU right away, literally Friday morning, and I think quite rightly the PM has paused on that which allows the dust to settle, allows people to go away on holiday, have some informal discussions about it, and then think about it come September/October time."

He said Vote Leave had "done lots of detailed planning" for Brexit and suggested Michael Gove was "probably the man to lead the negotiations" - but dismissed the idea of any formal role for Ukip leader Nigel Farage.

Economic turbulence would "settle very quickly", he predicted.

Is the fucker not reading the news?

Spaghetti

FTSE 250 tanking like hell, homebuilders getting pounded by the pound in realtime.

Cl9IleeWYAAnmCR.jpg:large
I'm getting flashes of 2008...

Like the good old days that weren't ever really there.

Make Britain Great Again!
My cousin has actually used this phrase on Facebook when talking about the Referendum. When asked what would make Britain great again, he went off on a jumbled little diatribe about the EU holding us back and actually evoked the £320 million figure that has been debunked.

When I told him the truth about the £320 million (which he didn't acknowledge) and asked again how the EU were holding us back, and exactly HOW Britain would be great again, he posted a status from his father in law decrying Leave voters being called racists, and talked about Britain being open for business again.

I didn't touch the race issue, but I told him that 11,000 steel workers were likely now out of work and without a pension (TATA steel), 14,000+ automobile manufacturers/engineers would likely have their jobs moved (Ford/Toyota), financial sector jobs have already gone (HSBC), civil servants working in UK-based EU-related jobs would likely be laid off, and his own wing of the military (the RAF) could likely see cuts over not being obligated to EU missions such as aerial Police sweeps over the Baltic.

Then he stopped replying.

liquidtmd

Banned
Maybe its brilliant - the Banks and Governments wait till October, costs of everything go through the roof due to instability, it starts to absolutely crucify the British Public and we absolutely start begging them to dismiss any thought of leaving or invoking Article 50 in order to stabilise us.

avaya

Food retailers like Tesco are buying forward swaps???
Surely all their merchandise trade is less than 60 days.

No general retailers - clothing primarily.

Food retailers generally try to wear the cost unless they think it will be sustained. That's why sell side are talking 3-4weeks. Some say as soon as next month expect grocery price rises.

Hazzuh

Ok, but I actually meant the current situation. What does it mean to put that guy in charge now? Is he a widely discredited laugh, or perhaps someone you take when you want to give a middle finger to the other side?

He's just the sort of person who is utterly out of touch with how ordinary people live. I know people say that about every politician but Lewtin is just laughable. He's the sort of person who tried to thousands of pounds from the government in order to fix his tennis court.

If people voted Leave because they want the government to be more in touch with them then he isn't the first person I'd turn to basically.

Auctopus

UK Votes To Leave The EU |OT2| The Cake is a Lie

UK Votes To Leave The EU |OT2| A Sense of Adventure

UK Votes To Leave The EU |OT2| No promises, just possibilities

Definitely one of these, if not only for making me laugh for the first time at "the cake is a lie".

avaya

So if the banks continue to have their value wiped off, and a bail out is needed..

Is that proof that this is probably the stupidest thing we could have done short term?

They won't need a bailout. They have wholesale funding from the BoE. ECB has also offered to fund them, the fucking irony is hilarious.

We are going to tank the economy though. That much is crystal clear at this point.

Daffy Duck

There it is folks.

David Cameron's official spokeswoman said earlier that last Thursday's vote was "decisive" and the government's focus was now on delivering on it.

A petition on the parliamentary website calling for a second referendum has attracted more than 3.7 million signatures.

But asked whether the issue of a re-run referendum was discussed at cabinet, David Cameron's spokeswoman said: "That is not remotely on the cards."

bryanee

I still cant get over what has happened. Its fucking ridiculous. I got into a huge argument with my stepdad over this (he voted leave, I voted remain) and when I told him everything that's happening right now because of this and the lies the leave campaign told he didn't know what to say.

I feel like I need to blow off some steam so I'm going to blast some music and workout like I've never worked out before.

No general retailers - clothing primarily.

Food retailers generally try to wear the cost unless they think it will be sustained. That's why sell side are talking 3-4weeks. Some say as soon as next month expect grocery price rises.

Then you'll really start to see some regrexit from all those disaffected protest voters.

She once advocated anal sex as birth control. She was cool! What happened?

She just went up a couple of notches in my book.

ColdRose

The pound is taking a pounding, hitting its lowest value in 31 years.

The UK economy lost £200 billion, and the world economy lost $2 trillion.

The UK is sinking into recession, and a global recession may be on its way.

Scotland, Northern Ireland and London are demanding independence from the UK.

RIP, United Kingdom.

Butbutbut we have our Britain back! If 'our' means Nigel Farage's and Britain First's, and if 'Britain' means tracts of the most deprived bits of England and what remains of Wales, and if 'back' means back to the tribal, fractured way it was before the Alfred the Great (Christ, some of these old people have fuckin' long memories ...)

Yaaaaaaaaaay.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That leaves with us hoping they call a GE pre-Article 50 and Parties campaign on the stances of Remain/Leave

Please. We can't leave this way. It is not decisive

How would parties even do that? A third of Tory voters went with Remain, a third of Labour voters went with Leave. Trying to campaign purely on European lines would destroy both parties completely. I don't think any leader for either party would have the authority to enforce that.

eEK!

Neo Member
A court is supposed to be impartial.

And elected representatives are supposed to act in the interests of the people not necessarily the opinions of the people or the interests of themselves and their party, Cameron gambled the country for the sake of his party and Johnson for himself. The court may be better than Cameron and Johnson, but you can bet they'll act in the EU's interest.

I'm going to be honest with you now and say your understanding of this situation is like that of a child. If you are child sorry for the hostility, if not your local library will have several books that can explain this to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom