• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieP

Banned
The best thing for every Nintendo fan to do for this years E3 is not compare the Wii U to the *rumored* PS4 / 720 specs (how anyone could possibly know PS4 / 720 specs when they are over 18 months from release is beyond me, i doubt even Sony and MS are sure yet).

Kits are out

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
If somebody asked me a question, I didn't see it.
Hey, EatChildren! Mind going through my list of BINGO items and offering suggestions for improvement?:

Game
17. 1080 Snowboarding
14. Bioshock Infinite
69. Black Ops II
45. Crysis 3
70. Dead or Alive
35. Eternal Darkness
73. Excite Bus
2. F-Zero Wii U
72. GTA V
10. Killer Feaks from Outer Space
36. Mach Rider
43. Mario Paint
15. Metroid
11. Nintendo New IP
1. Pikmin Wii U
64. Platinum Games, Inc.
49. Portal 2
18. Retro Game
19. Skyrim
56. Smash Bros. Trailer
57. South Park
16. Star Fox
61. Super Mario --------
71. The Legend of Zelda
38. Wii U Fit

Marketing
42. 3DS Redesign
34. 'Achievements'
20. Case Redesign
41. Facebook
23. Gamer Card
25. Google Partnership
65. Luanch Date
26. NetFlix
27. New Name
63. NFC Toys
66. Pack-In Game
24. Pack-In Wiimote
74. Price
51. Sales Charts
9. Starbucks
52. Twitter
21. Universal Remote
50. Wii U OS detailed

Person
53. Bill Trinen
47. Denis Dyack
12. Gabe Newell
44. Joel Mchale
32. John Carmack
58. Michel Ancel
59. Peter Moore
5. Reginald Fils-Aime
13. Robin Williams
4. Satoru Iwata
39. Scott Moffitt
3. Shigeru Miyamoto
33. Shinji Mikami
40. Tim Schafer
62. Will Wright
60. Yves Guillemot

Technology
7. 1080p
31. Built-In Harddrive
48. Capacitive Screen
28. Gigaflops
54. Stream Your Game
22. Two Wucs
6. UE4
55. Upscale GCN & Wii
30. USB 3.0
29. Vitality Sensor

Wild Card
46. "My body is ready"
8. Acid Ghost
67. All 3rd Party Games to be on Rails
37. Baloon Flight
75. Iwata Pulls Someting from Pocket
68. Miyamoto in Costume or with Props

antonz

Sony's recent E3 events have been plagued with plants. It sounds like a frat house party after each announcement.

Last few E3s they have been doing the contests to get into the conference. This year its just a blatant show up early and be one of the first 200.

Would certainly help Don mattrick a bit. Poor guy cant get a reaction to save his life.

Since the Zelda orchestra will be back at E3, I think a big Zelda announcement is plausible. Zelda 3DS?
I wouldnt read too much into it. Just a good time to have it in LA again since video game expo. Though they did announce today Chinners favorite Princess will be the big Guest Of Honor at the Zelda concert.

The only third party game I pretty much require for the Wii U launch is Resident Evil 6. I need that game in my life and would rather not have to borrow hardware to play it. Despite all the silence on that game coming to Wii U so far I still think it's a good candidate for the Wii U, taking both Capcom and the series' previous history with Nintendo into account.

At least, that's what I'm hoping.

GTA V and BLOPS 2 would be significant for the wider third party issue but RE6 is the major one for me.

Yup, Resident Evil 6 will be an essential purchase for me too. I'll be VERY surprised if we don't get a U SKU.

Mind you, after the success that Sega has had with the Mario and Sonic Olympics franchise, releasing Nintendo vs Capcom would seem to me to be a no-brainer. Can you imagine if they had that as a launch title..? They wouldn't be able to make the consoles quick enough!!!

I'm pretty certain that Capcom will have some sort of AAA title available at launch or during the launch window though.

I'm also convinced we'll see U SKUs of BlOps and GTA V as well.

Hey, EatChildren! Mind going through my list of BINGO items and offering suggestions for improvement?:

Person
53. Bill Trinen
47. Denis Dyack
12. Gabe Newell
44. Joel Mchale
32. John Carmack
58. Michel Ancel
59. Peter Moore
5. Reginald Fils-Aime
13. Robin Williams
4. Satoru Iwata
39. Scott Moffitt
3. Shigeru Miyamoto
33. Shinji Mikami
40. Tim Schafer
62. Will Wright
60. Yves Guillemot

John Riccotello (EA guy).

botty

Banned
nuR4V.gif

Where does this magical gif come from?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Yup, Resident Evil 6 will be an essential purchase for me too. I'll be VERY surprised if we don't get a U SKU.

Mind you, after the success that Sega has had with the Mario and Sonic Olympics franchise, releasing Nintendo vs Capcom would seem to me to be a no-brainer. Can you imagine if they had that as a launch title..? They wouldn't be able to make the consoles quick enough!!!

I'm pretty certain that Capcom will have some sort of AAA title available at launch or during the launch window though.

I'm also convinced we'll see U SKUs of BlOps and GTA V as well.

RE6 would definitely be a very nice port, and if the game winds up anything like Revelations having a separate map and inventory screen could be damn useful. I think we'll see it, just late. Hopefully Capcom isn't dumb enough to skip porting it, you can figure on them leaving 1.5-2 million in sales on the table if they do.

Look down to find a spot for that green herb? *gets attacked from behind

I wouldn't call GTA5 a lock. Rockstar and Nintendo have a pretty rocky history, and if it's a Fall 2012/ Q1 2013 release I could easily see them not bothering.

Black Ops 2 seems extremely likely to me, lots of no brainer uses for the pad in this version. I'd be pretty surprised if we don't see it TBH.

steveovig

Just read the past 20 pages that started with the report that Wii U won't be powerful enough to run UE4...

Anyone else feel sorry for BG and Eat lol, questions being thrown at them left and right today !, bet their fingers got a good workout ;).

As we are so close to E3 i would just like to thank both of them and Ideaman (wasn't around when Ihere posted myself) for taking the time to answer everyones questions multiple times and explain things to those of us that aren't very tech savvy.

The best thing for every Nintendo fan to do for this years E3 is not compare the Wii U to the *rumored* PS4 / 720 specs (how anyone could possibly know PS4 / 720 specs when they are over 18 months from release is beyond me, i doubt even Sony and MS are sure yet).

Don't even compare Wii U to the PS3 or 360.

This is Nintendo's first crack at the HD generation so compare the Wii U to the original Wii.

We will see graphics that astound us, an online network at least on the level of PSN and prob some sort of Achievement like system.

Then we have all the innovation that the tablet controller brings.

It's easy to feel down when news like this breaks but look on the bright side, we are less than a week away from seeing all our beloved IP's in glorious HD, running on a system that is at worst case scenario 40 times more powerful than the original Wii graphically and has 17 times more Ram.

If you thought Skyward Sword, Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros Brawl, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 were good, wait and see what they do on hardware 10 years more advanced.

Don't give up hope guys... Believe :).

I tend to want to go into this thing with lowered expectations so that way if we do get a ton of great news/features/games, I'm more excite and not disappointed at all.

BTW, I certainly hope you're right about this thing have an achievement system!

Vinci

Danish
I tend to want to go into this thing with lowered expectations so that way if we do get a ton of great news/features/games, I'm more excite and not disappointed at all.

BTW, I certainly hope you're right about this thing have an achievement system!

I think it's been pretty much confirmed to have an achievement-like system... Someone correct me if I'm lying.

?oe?oe

So what do people expect from Nintendo's "Software Showcase"? Are we just expecting full trailers shown from games in the conference/sizzle reel or will there be even more surprises?

Can someone explain the finances behind releasing games on a new platform? And why it's such an apparent risk? Like, what goes into getting it on shelves?

Honest question.
There are a few issues that make it tough.

• You may not be on the short-list to get an early dev-kit, so your entire game could be rushed (you have to throw a lot more developers at it, and quality will suffer)
  • Early SDK's are buggy and poorly documented, slowing down progress
  • The specs change with new dev kits, and new SDK's can break your game because commands change, and you have to go back and fix them
  • There's usually some "secret" features that aren't revealed until the final E3, that gamers will expect you to support - those features must be rushed into the game
  • You don't know exactly how long you have to work on the game, because hardware manufacturers do not tell developers the release date before they tell the rest of the world (though they may give you a rough estimate like "4th quarter")
  • You don't know what other developers are doing - what if your game looks inferior to the competition, because everyone else took advantage of feature X? You don't have an average graphic quality to be your guide to what customers will expect

In addition to those, the hardware manufacturer may have some demands - if you want to be a launch title, your game must meet these standards and make use of these features. Once the system launches those demands go away.

BD1

Banned
Super Mario Utopia.

3D Platforming nirvana. A platformer so amazing, it puts Mario Galaxy 2 to shame.

please, Nintendo.

HylianTom

Banned
So what do people expect from Nintendo's "Software Showcase"? Are we just expecting full trailers shown from games in the conference/sizzle reel or will there be even more surprises?

I'm guessing that there may be demos of key games, live interviews with lead developers, a few sizzle reels, etc.

AzaK

I imagine playable versions of GTAV, Diablo III and F-Zero.

Penguin

Really just expect it to be a nintendo direct with new games and more interviews

Nibel

Oh God, Morgan Webb just called Call of Duty America's favourite franchise.

MY HEARS!

Well if you look at the sales it's hard to say the opposite..

Such sad times we live in.

Btw, I expect her to say something so stupid and threadworthy like every year

This is soooo funny... guys please check the video out lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5j5o1a0fjE
Thanks for giving me more views lol.

You think its funny? I'm glad :) I post atleast two new videos a week and I plan to post one new video each day of E3 about the various conferences and news so subsribe that way you can get notifications of new videos.

I actually just filmed this weeks episode of NeoGAF news. It is twenty minutes long, and while alot of it is just me messing around and not telling actual news, that is the longest video I have made yet. To bad I filmed over half of it sideways >_<

anywayz: I don't really care one way or another for stuff like graphics or UE4, I would be fine if Wii U was just Wii in tech except a bump in resolution to HD (so glad its not tho) but I hope Wii u does get UE4 for the mutiplatforms. Especially since I would rather play those games on the subscreen. (If said games let you play them on the subscreen)

Yay new Reggie video.

ONE WEEK OMG.

Edit: Apple Console? I actually would be interested in that, I quite like my iOS devices. It would be cool if ut could have some physical games but that probably won't happen.

Also: I can't believe I am caught up with this thread AGAIN! Community is a murderer of thread :(I need a new thread to read...

So Morgan/G4 are most excited about a yearly rehashed fps, another "realistic" war fps, xxxtreme Kratos, the 6th Halo fps, and Assassin's Creed. No mention of Pikmin because that's for babies I guess.

Why do I watch these videos? They just turn me into an even more bitter old man.

Um, like it or not, it is. Sales speak loudest and COD sells better than anything when you take into consideration DLC, multiplayer, etc. Nintendo may have sold more Mario's but people are obsessed with COD. Considering there are what, 5-8 COD's this generation and each one basically sells better than the previous one, yea.

Terrell

What is this? And WHY GOD WHY

Um, like it or not, it is. Sales speak loudest and COD sells better than anything when you take into consideration DLC, multiplayer, etc. Nintendo may have sold more Mario's but people are obsessed with COD. Considering there are what, 5-8 COD's this generation and each one basically sells better than the previous one, yea.

Just like they were obsessed about the Wii. And obsessed about Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

The bottom will fall out sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom