• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't understand the comparisons between Smart Glass and the Wii U.

Are they even doing the same things? Smart Glass looked like it was doing very little other than Madden plays and some very boring information display for Halo 4. I mean Smart Glass isn't a controller, it isn't streaming your 360 games to your iPad and it isn't going to be the main way you communicate with your games, right?

Have I missed something?

We don't know much about it. To me, it didn't look at all like they were claiming it could stream the game directly to the iOS. It was just an added bonus of sorts.

That's why I was confused why Keighly/Molyneux instantly compared it to Wii U after the show and said Nintendo should be worried about it. It didn't show anything about playing the actual game.

Pappasman

Sony is going to have to try really hard to be worse than MS.

Are they even doing the same things? Smart Glass looked like it was doing very little other than Madden plays and some very boring information display for Halo 4. I mean Smart Glass isn't a controller, it isn't streaming your 360 games to your iPad and it isn't going to be the main way you communicate with your games, right?

Have I missed something?

Nope. you nailed it.

Bumhead

Banned
We don't know much about it. To me, it didn't look at all like they were claiming it could stream the game directly to the iOS. It was just an added bonus of sorts.

That's why I was confused why Keighly/Molyneux instantly compared it to Wii U after the show and said Nintendo should be worried about it. It didn't show anything about playing the actual game.

Yeah, I should clarify when I say people are comparing them I do mean the journalists rather than Microsoft themselves. I think it was Arthur Gies who instantly tweeted something along the lines of "That's Nintendo fucked!" or something like that..

I'm just wondering how many articles we are going to see appear over the next several hours/days/weeks/months proclaiming how Microsoft are "stealing Nintendo thunder" with a feature that, in reality, doesn't even nearly achieve the same thing.

Maybe it's my fault for reacting to reactionary and immature "journalism".

Have I missed something?

It is two different philosophies regarding bringing the game experience away from (or having it enhanced in addition to) the television. Of course you can compare them. The fact that they're not the same way to follow this philosophy just means that both companies are trying to be innovative about it in different ways.

Neiteio

IT'S THE DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS, YAY.

I'm trying my darnedest to not expect anything in particular tomorrow. I guess it's safe to hope for a clearer look at NSMB World and Pikmin 3. Beyond that, I have no idea!

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Have I missed something?

They're not that close outside of the gut reaction to "THAT LOOKS LIKE WII U". Tablet isn't replacing the controller, it is supplemental to the controller. After choosing those plays in Madden, won't you have to drop the tablet and pick up the controller?

McNum

The only way Nintendo doesn't beat MS with their conference is if it's a repeat of 08.
But that won't happen so.
Nintendo took half an hour yesterday just to get the controller and philosophy talk out of the way before the conference. They have a separate event just for hardware, and even a software followup. Nintendo may be going all-out with games tomorrow. Going to be interesting to see.

Or they could bomb spectacularly, but I really doubt that. Unless Sony does something incredible, this really is Nintendo's show to lose.

Elfteiroh

They're not that close outside of the gut reaction to "THAT LOOKS LIKE WII U". Tablet isn't replacing the controller, it is supplemental to the controller. After choosing those plays in Madden, won't you have to drop the tablet and pick up the controller?

Nah, you tell them what to do and the characters will play by themselves, you just have to enjoy the show. :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah, I should clarify when I say people are comparing them I do mean the journalists rather than Microsoft themselves. I think it was Arthur Gies who instantly tweeted something along the lines of "That's Nintendo fucked!" or something like that..

And this is why nobody takes the gaming "journalism" industry seriously.

jacksrb

Thought MS had a good conference...but it would have been really nice if they cut the middle 45 minutes and made it 90% games.

I thought Tomb Raider looked fun, where as RE6 seemed to be a mess.

snesfreak

Banned
Sony would have to do a LOT to beat Nintendo.
Like PS4, GTAV exclusive, free Vitas for everyone who buys a PS3 in the next 3 months.

Effect

untitled-42t9bu.gif

sogood.gif

And then after that it was a parade of brown third person shooters with QTEs and guys trying to sell me Nikes. At a games show.

Between this and COD and other shooters the choice is easy to make. Halo 4. The colors (certainly not being afraid to use them) seal the deal.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
IT'S THE DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS, YAY.

I'm trying my darnedest to not expect anything in particular tomorrow. I guess it's safe to hope for a clearer look at NSMB World and Pikmin 3. Beyond that, I have no idea!

I fully expect to be underwhelmed.

Linkhero1

That was a pretty underwhelming conference by MS. The only games I'm interested in are South Park and Halo 4. Aside from that nothing great came out of the conference. No megaton...nothing. I can't see how Nintendo isn't going to win this E3. Then again, they could totally fuck it up.

Elfteiroh

Between this and COD and other shows the choice is easy to make. Halo 4. The colors (certainly not being afraid to use them) seal the deal.

YEah, I'm not a fan of Halo, but I can't say it looks interesting compared to almost every other shooters... Hell, I loved the old splinter cell and Halo4 hype me more than SC: Blacklist

That was a pretty underwhelming conference by MS. The only games I'm interested in are South Park and Halo 4. Aside from that nothing great came out of the conference. No megaton...nothing. I can't see how Nintendo isn't going to win this E3. Then again, they could totally fuck it up.
I find it funny that Assassin's Creed III wasn't even mentioned. :O

Thought MS had a good conference...but it would have been really nice if they cut the middle 45 minutes and made it 90% games.

I thought Tomb Raider looked fun, where as RE6 seemed to be a mess.
well, it was as good as a conference for anyone who owned a PS3 or even PC and didn't want to play those download titles or Halo/Forza;

all important titles were multiplat

I will be really hurt if Nintendo focuses on multiplat games in their conference.

Effect

Looking more at it, it does seem more menu and entertainment channel based and less game focused. Where as the Wii U Gamepad is clearly game focused and integral tot he Wii U itself. It isn't an addon, which is what Xbox Glass clearly is. The same way Kinect still is until it's packaged in with the next Xbox system.

Taker666

It'll be interesting to see if EA will have a strong Wii U showing ..or if it was all just talk in regards to their "unprecedented partnership" with Nintendo.

Obviously it would be great if all the core EA games were on the platform..but with the hype last year you'd hope to see one key exclusive.

You have to imagine they'll have a Golf game for launch that uses the wii remote and screen (at a minimum).

Effect

YEah, I'm not a fan of Halo, but I can't say it looks interesting compared to almost every other shooters... Hell, I loved the old splinter cell and Halo4 hype me more than SC: Blacklist

I find it funny that Assassin's Creed III wasn't even mentioned. :O

This is why I really hope there is a Metroid Prime 4 or something similar. Part of why I'm less interested in Aliens (in addition to there being no pointer control support) and now CoD (won' be running out to get it at launch. Well never did for the ones I did play.) as well.

It is surprising that Assassin's Creed III wasn't mentioned. Didn't even think about that.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Halo 4 looked surprisingly amazing (very Metroid Prime-ish), South Park looked pretty cool, and everything else was disappointing.

Though I still have faith in Tomb Raider and I believe RE6 will overall be a good game. But very meh conference for Microsoft.

The question is will EA show anything for the Wii U? I'm more interested in what EA has planned aside from sport titles.

Yeah, EA's conference is they one i'm looking forward to among third party devs. They have a very close relationship with Sony. They've been giving the PS3 exclusive content for the past few E3's and Sony has been handling co-marketing duties for many of their games. So, it'll be interesting to see if they remains, if they switch over to the Wii U or if they just split the support.

Elfteiroh

guys can't surf net at work?

I'm a very low employee... I'm a convenience store clerk. Still in university and I have to pay the bills (don't have wealthy parents to pay for me). I'll be carrying juice crates and beers and helping stupid people to find what's in front of them. xD
So no, I won't be able to surf at work. :/

Linkhero1

Yeah, EA's conference is they one i'm looking forward to among third party devs. They have a very close relationship with Sony. They've been giving the PS3 exclusive content for the past few E3's and Sony has been handling co-marketing duties for many of their games. So, it'll be interesting to see if they remains, if they switch over to the Wii U or if they just split the support.

This is true. Let's just hope for a lot of good software for the Wii U. I also wonder whether EA and Ubisoft will give any details regarding Wii U online and achievement system. Just 55 minutes until EA's conference.

Now this looks awesome. Can't wait to see other Wii U eShop games.
and it's from the And Yet It Moves developer, not your random indie developer.

Shinen will also have an eShop game at launch, and I suppose bit runner will be there to say the least

I'm a very low employee... I'm a convenience store clerk. Still in university and I have to pay the bills (don't have wealthy parents to pay for me). I'll be carrying juice crates and beers and helping stupid people to find what's in front of them. xD
So no, I won't be able to surf at work. :/
:( sorry bro, I feel you

I just wanted to see maybe work culture is very different in different countries; I mean, I can't imagine someone at Japan doing anything not related to his/her work even if they have both the opportunity and time, and even if nothing will happen if others find out

This is true. Let's just hope for a lot of good software for the Wii U. I also wonder whether EA and Ubisoft will give any details regarding Wii U online and achievement system. Just 55 minutes until EA's conference.

Well, didn't Reggie say that they were going to let their partners talk about online play? That was last year, so things may have changed. I'd guess that Nintendo would prefer to discuss that stuff at their own conference.

So... it's Bird: The game? :D xD
Looks awesome. Day one buy for me. ^_^
I didn't really understood the gameplay lol

but And Yet It Move also had a very unique premise; you had to control your character through mazes and you had to prevent him from falling over long distances so he doesn't die

the twist was that you turn and control the maze and not your character; the game was very well received and I remember I liked it a lot

[if I remember correctly, my mind may be completely fuck up ATM,lol]

Elfteiroh

and it's from the And Yet It Moves developer, not your random indie developer.

Shinen will also have an eShop game at launch, and I suppose bit runner will be there to say the least

:( sorry bro, I feel you

I just wanted to see maybe work culture is very different in different countries; I mean, I can't imagine someone at Japan doing anything not related to his/her work even if they have both the opportunity and time, and even if nothing will happen if others find out

Haha! No problem. I've been doing this for 7 years, one more day/year doesn't really make a difference now. :p
T_T
I'm studying to be a Video Game Designer, so yeah, when I get a Real Job E3 will be 100 times better. :D
And all this pain will be worth it in the end. :)

Haha! No problem. I've been doing this for 7 years, one more day/year doesn't really make a difference now. :p
T_T
I'm studying to be a Video Game Designer, so yeah, when I get a Real Job E3 will be 100 times better. :D
And all this pain will be worth it in the end. :)
well, that's great!

I too wanted to become a programmer [for game engines, etc.] but somehow ended up studying mechanical engineering lol
your career and your love will be in the same direction :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom