• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

I haven't read the comics but I plan on too when I finish this semester. My question is what made the Fables leave there old world, possessions, money, etc behind to start a new life in New York and The Farm?

Acosta

I haven't read the comics but I plan on too when I finish this semester. My question is what made the Fables leave there old world, possessions, money, etc behind to start a new life in New York and The Farm?

A tyrant called "The Adversary", he conquered their lands so the ones who could had to escape with their lives or be killed/enslaved.

Great take, yes, I thought something like this. You have seen face to face Fables that struggle to get the glamour, which is not a drug or a luxury but something absolutely necessary to not be sent to a freak show in the farm, so is hard to sympathize with Snow position here.

(Spoilers for book 2 of Fables comic)

To be honest, Snow doesn't think is that bad because she thinks the Farm is a genuinely great place. Most of the resources they get from Fabletown are focused on the farm, it´s supposed to be a paradise where every need is covered, but well, she miss the point that a jail is a jail, no matter how beautiful it is.

I would 100% not be surprised if the MacGuffin was revealed to be Farm-related.

Greenleaf implied that they were dealing with something far more supernatural than an ordinary murder-conspiracy, and that has Farm written all over it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Something I'm not too familiar with here is just how tough are the Fables in general?

Especially shown a lot in this episode,
with all the shotgunnin'. I thought Holly died at first until the doctor said otherwise, then there's the ending with Bigby getting pumped full of it. Is it specifically something with beheading? Woodsman took an axe to the back of the head before, while Dum was apparently killed now with his neck getting ripped open.

Something I'm not too familiar with here is just how tough are the Fables in general?

with all the shotgunnin'. I thought Holly died at first until the doctor said otherwise, then there's the ending with Bigby getting pumped full of it. Is it specifically something with beheading? Woodsman took an axe to the back of the head before, while Dum was apparently killed now with his neck getting ripped open.

They're pretty much indestructible, though apparently it has to do with how alive their stories are in the Mundie community. If they're well known, they can come back from even death, but if they're not, things like that could be fatal. It's why Prince Lawrence almost died from getting shot, while the Woodman could take an axe to the brain and be walking the next day.

Also, (ep 3)
when Bloody Mary shot Bigby, she used silver bullets, one of the few things that can really harm him. She comments on it, saying "she'd think something like that only works on werewolves", before trying to chop his head off.

Fables are essentially immortal. Kind of. While their stories do keep them alive, you can kill a Fable permanently in one of three ways:

1. They come from a very obscure tale that doesn't get a lot of repetition.
2. A metric shitload of violence. They killed off at least one notable Fable by shooting her, stabbing her, and then drowning her in quick succession.
3. The Witching Well. You can escape from it, and has been done, but to do so, you would need a combination of magical artifacts and strokes of luck all hitting perfectly together. Basically, a .00000001% chance.

This is why hardly anyone flinched when Snow was killed.

Carcetti

It took my game two weeks to get the last episode from Steam after they said it was 'available' and it seems the same is happening again. WTH Telltale?

Montresor

Bloody Mary
sounds EXACTLY like the "Alice" personality from United States Of Tara. Is the voice actor the same person as the lead actress from United States Of Tara?

ArjanN

Also I can't believe so many people
killed Dum.
It was super tempting but like that's not going to end well.

Eh, I've embraced the fact there aren't really any 'wrong' choices, so I just pick what feels right/the coolest option instead of trying to min max the end result.

Bloody Mary
sounds EXACTLY like the "Alice" personality from United States Of Tara. Is the voice actor the same person as the lead actress from United States Of Tara?

The voice actress in the game is called Kat Cressida, so I don't think so. Probably just hamming it up in a similar way. :p

Montresor

Eh, I've embraced the fact there aren't really any 'wrong' choices, so I just pick what feels right/the coolest option instead of trying to min max the end result.

The voice actress in the game is called Kat Cressida, so I don't think so. Probably just hamming it up in a similar way. :p

Thanks. She was such an amazing character. <3 Based Telltale. And they finally seem to have worked out the stuttering issues on 360. The recap at the beginning of the episode didn't stutter, and I barely noticed stuttering as I played the episode.

masterkajo

I started playing The Wolf Among Us today. Played for about 20 minutes and what I have seen so far is really promising. But there is one thing that disturbs me very very much. The messages like "Blabla will remember that" etc. can not be turned off it seems. As anyone found a method for it to be disabled? By fidling with ini files or a mod maybe? There are almost a dealbreaker.

JustinBB7

I started playing The Wolf Among Us today. Played for about 20 minutes and what I have seen so far is really promising. But there is one thing that disturbs me very very much. The messages like "Blabla will remember that" etc. can not be turned off it seems. As anyone found a method for it to be disabled? By fidling with ini files or a mod maybe? There are almost a dealbreaker.

A dealbreaker? For 1 tiny message that appears in a top corner for 3 seconds?

I don't understand why it bothers you so much, is it the thought that your decision is wrong? Because that doesn't really matter in these games to be honest. Choices barely matter so you don't have to worry about it.

Roto13

Fables are tougher if they're more popular. Everyone knows Snow White so she's tough to kill. (That beheading in Episode 1 would definitely have done it if it was real, though.) But there's also just a lot of diversity among Fables to begin with and a Troll is obviously going to be able to survive things that a regular person wouldn't, regardless of how well known they are. Also, Bigby is basically Wolverine. In so many ways.

A dealbreaker? For 1 tiny message that appears in a top corner for 3 seconds?

I don't understand why it bothers you so much, is it the thought that your decision is wrong? Because that doesn't really matter in these games to be honest. Choices barely matter so you don't have to worry about it.

I kind of get where he's coming from. We don't need these things literally spelled out for us.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really freaked out so many of you
killed Dum without a second thought
. I definitely did not even WANT to do that.

masterkajo

Yea but it's barely noticeable. Most of the time I usually miss it because I'm watching what's going on in the game.

Still, even if I don't read what the message says you are immediately know that the decision or action you just took is more important than the decision before without the message. It is the fact that you get reminded everytime this is a game and it follows the rule, you did this therefore that etc. Normally I am ok with such thing but this type of game lives and dies by its story and cinematic feeling. I don't want to be taken out of this every 2 minutes just to get reminded that the girl remembers I thanked her (I know that I was there just two seconds ago).

EDIT: So, I guess there is no way to turn it off then. Hm, I am really disappointed with Telltale. It was an option in TWD Season 1 why remove it for subsequent games?

Musolf815

I've been trying to be a "nice" Bigby, so I couldn't kill him. I felt satisfied smashing the tar out of him. Also, speaking of the "remember that" notifications, how awesome was the "He will not remember this"? Almost had me in stitches.

GRaider81

You seriously wouldn't play a game because of this?

Even though I don't think comic Bigby would've
killed Dum
I went with it anyway, he had to go and it felt really good too just before Kill la Kill gets in your shit.

Tacitus_

Fuckers ruined the funeral, threatened the life of Snow several times and pumped you full of shells. And that's just in this episode. He had it coming.

hohoXD123

They had it coming. Playing as good Bigby gets tiring after a while.

I will surely play the game as it seems to pretty awesome (from what I have seen and heard). I just wanted to make sure first if there is any way (mod, teaking some files etc) to disable the messages.

Not that I know of. I don't get too hung up on it, it leads to a fairly amusing scene at some point anyway.

Episode 3 is up there with the first I think. I'm going to replay again a couple times to make sure lol.

Did anyone else find the scene where Bigby
is talking to Holly who is half asleep. I kinda played along with what she was saying, and she talked to me as if I were The Woodsman. I remember some really touching dialogue being had between Bigby and her.

Did anyone else have the same thing?

ArjanN

Episode 3 is up there with the first I think. I'm going to replay again a couple times to make sure lol.

is talking to Holly who is half asleep. I kinda played along with what she was saying, and she talked to me as if I were The Woodsman. I remember some really touching dialogue being had between Bigby and her.

Yes, I'm assuming that was more or less mandatory. Although I
didn't pretend to be Woody.

I think you can completely miss the scenes with
Jack
and
Fly Eater
though.

FluxWaveZ

Got that scene.
I told her that he was Bigby and, in the end, I think they became closer when he said that he's one of them and is not acting against them. She came to realize the motivation for Bigby's relentless investigations was to find justice for her sister.

I think you can completely miss the scenes with
Jack
and
Fly Eater
though.

I did not get this, so I guess so.

Voror

I didn't kill Dum. Thought about it, but didn't do it in the end. It's going to take something special for me not to kill Bloody Mary though. That one is just a straight up psycho.

Where did she get the Woodsman's axe though I wonder? Pick it off him when he was lying there after the encounter in the first episode? Maybe Woody is involved moreso than before?

I said we'd help get Fly a job. I like the guy and he shouldn't have to work for jerks like the Tweedles. With Jack I didn't make a deal, though I did claim that he was helping me when Snow showed up since it was technically true.

Didn't burn the tree and sought to hire Greenleaf, though I'm kind of expecting this to bite me in the ass. Still, I think there's some points to be raised about how expensive glamours seem to be for the less well off Fables.

At this point I really am expecting Faith to turn out to be alive or something.

But man, I really want to start turning the tables on these people. Hopefully some of that starts up next time rather than it all happening in the last episode.

bfwings55

When I was in the room with Holly at first I was silent but then I pretended to be Woody and I told her that Bigby is a big guy and she was like "you know him more than us so you must be right. I liked that.

Tacitus_

Jack the Giant Killer. Jack and Jill. Jack and the Beanstalk. He's every Jack from all of the stories. :p Of course someone who gets into that much trouble has to be a total sleaze ball.

Oh, I don't remember meeting him. I went
dums, crane, bar

Top Bottom