• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us |OT| Season 1

Just finished Episode 3 & enjoyed it, but a consistent release schedule would really benefit this game. Murder mysteries loose their oomph if you've forgotten half the shit you've done already.

Pretty fantastic episode.

Episode spoilers below.
Had to play it twice to fill out the blanks in the Book of Fables. Once to keep the tree alive, and the other to burn it down. One playthrough had me going to the Bar first then then the twins office, missing Crane's residence, and for the other I went to Crane's and then the Bar.

I think Holly's Bar is the compulsory place you have to visit, there's no other way afaik you can get Lily's address book that contains the location of the witch. Both the Twin's office (from one of the objects) and Crane's (by talking to Jack) offers the full identity of the witch, but nothing more.

Offed one of the twins. He deserved it imo, and I'm amazed at the number of players who did the same. But that Bloody Mary bit had me seething at how easily she put down Bigsby, injured as he previously was from the previous shotgun blasts. The game better let you have your pound of flesh with her in a later episode.
A question.
Is there anyway you can get to the Witch's home on time and apprehend Crane before he leaves for the titty bar? It seems that you're always 15 minutes late, no matter what.

phoenixyz

Offed one of the twins. He deserved it imo, and I'm amazed at the number of players who did the same.
The ending was
really intense. In that kind of "blood rage" I was suprised that less than 50% killed him to be honest, especially considering all the shit he pulled

Montresor

Bloody Mary
sounds EXACTLY like the "Alice" personality from United States Of Tara. Is the voice actor the same person as the lead actress from United States Of Tara?

ArjanN already let me know that's not the correct voice actor. But I just realized "Alice" is definitely the wrong personality. The new villain in Episode 3 definitely sounds like one of the alternate personalities from United States Of Tara, I just can't remember which one.

You know, police/SWAT in the USA are authorized to use lethal force if a person/known criminal is currently shooting in your direction.

I killed Dum and would do it again. I AM THE BIG BAD WOLF!! I try playing Mr. Nice Doggie but when you unload loads of bullets into me and repeatedly threaten people I care about, well that makes me a little upset. In my game, Dee and Dum are also responsible for the attempted murder of Holly & Gren. Not to mention I hulked out and was not in complete control. I'll confess in church for my sins....

Brilliant series though it seems most choices are pure fluff

Roto13

Guys, if you don't press any buttons during the action scenes, they play themselves.

You can't die in this game any more.

jblank83

TBH, my opinion on Telltale is starting to turn. Absolutely no puzzles at all in these "adventure" games, little meaningful choice, almost no real gameplay. I mean, give me just one puzzle per episode, just one. Put a little effort into it. After the brilliant Sam & Max Season 3, I know Telltale is capable of good puzzles.

Other issues are very ham handed and artificial interpersonal conflicts to create drama and force the player into binary all-or-nothing decisions as well as increasingly short episodes. We're getting to the point where episodes are barely over an hour long.

I still enjoy Wolf Among Us greatly, and Walking Dead (to a much lesser extent), but Telltale is pushing the limits of how I want to spend my video game time.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
TBH, my opinion on Telltale is starting to turn. Absolutely no puzzles at all in these "adventure" games, little meaningful choice, almost no real gameplay. I mean, give me just one puzzle per episode, just one. Put a little effort into it. After the brilliant Sam & Max Season 3, I know Telltale is capable of good puzzles.

Other issues are very ham handed and artificial interpersonal conflicts to create drama and force the player into binary all-or-nothing decisions as well as increasingly short episodes. We're getting to the point where episodes are barely over an hour long.

I still enjoy Wolf Among Us greatly, and Walking Dead (to a much lesser extent), but Telltale is pushing the limits of how I want to spend my video game time.

I still remember TWD episode 4
trying to get into the house I was stuck on that for the better part of an hour lol, I don't really miss them TBH.
One thing that is annoying is my achievements not showing, this has happened with THW episode 4 and this episode now, really annoying.

Joeku

Even though I don't think comic Bigby would've
killed Dum
I went with it anyway, he had to go and it felt really good too just before Kill la Kill gets in your shit.

Bloody Mary
is Ryuuko as fuck.

I so very much wanted to
kill Dum
cause I knew it would feel so very good, but I managed to not do that. SO close, though.

jblank83

On topic, I thought it was complete bull when the game tried to make me feel bad for
killing dum. A guy who with his brother attacked me, knocked me out, threatened me, threatened Snow, shot people at a funeral, shot at snow, shot at crane, and shot me over and over.
. Come on. There's ham handed artificial drama and then there's this.

The scene with
auntie greenleaf
was a much more interesting dilemma.
This lady who did some awful things, do I destroy her livelihood? Do I back up snow or not? Or hire greenleaf to help us? Or what? Ultimately I kept quiet but even then the game tried to turn it into a binary choice. If Snow really wanted it burnt, she could have done it herself.
Unfortunately, it becomes just another "You didn't support me. I'll remember that" situation for a throwaway line of dialog later in the season.

Now that was a damn fine episode, so much better than the completely lacklustre episode 2. Still had major performance issues and some incredibly annoying load times, but they do at least seem to have gotten the story back on track.

The ending was pretty damn good
beast mode Bigby was fantastic, loved that entire sequence

Bring on episode 4!

Roto13

Hmm, I must have done something wrong, because I only
went to 2 out of the 3 locations.

You might not go to all three depending on where you go first and second. Bluebeard ruins everything at one place, no matter what you do, so even if you do go to all three locations, you won't do very much at one of them.

RPGCrazied

Probably going to double dip with this game and get it on PC. I'm sure it would look and run leagues better on my PC than PS3 version anyway. Anyone have a Geforce GT 640? I know its not the best card, but just wondering if anyone in here has it.

Pollux

Ok, I really enjoyed that episode.

When it came down to it I ended up killing one of the twins, let's be honest the bastard deserved it. And I'll agree with what some other posters have said here, it was a little disappointing how easily Bloody Mary was able to put down Bigby.

I'm really loving the possible budding bromance between Gren and Bigby - Make it happen TellTale!

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member

When it came down to it I ended up killing one of the twins, let's be honest the bastard deserved it. And I'll agree with what some other posters have said here, it was a little disappointing how easily Bloody Mary was able to put down Bigby.

I'm really loving the possible budding bromance between Gren and Bigby - Make it happen TellTale!

I haven't read the comics but can someone use a silver bullet against him in the comics?
Because to me it looks like he's fucked if he wants to go after Bloody Mary

Thought it was pretty obvious that
she was using sliver bullets. They even make a point of showing her loading the gun before Bigby transforms and let's not forget she also has enchanted axe so it's pretty clearly laid out that they came to kill Bigby...if the situation demanded it.

Kssio_Aug

I am playing Walking Dead and am loving it! I may buy this Wolf Among Us for VITA when they launch the full pack of season 1.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
she was using sliver bullets. They even make a point of showing her loading the gun before Bigby transforms and let's not forget she also has enchanted axe so it's pretty clearly laid out that they came to kill Bigby...if the situation demanded it.

Yeah and even the gun was silver

Kadayi

Banned
Certainly a step up from episode 2, but I thought the twist was glaringly obvious from episode 2
Crane wasn't the killer. Whomever took the photo was the killer and just putting Crane in the frame
, so why they had to have it that SB arrives at it was painful as Bigby isn't supposed to be that dumb.

Still an improvement. Hoping the rest of the season build on it.

emag

On topic, I thought it was complete bull when the game tried to make me feel bad for
killing dum.

For what it's worth, the whole scene unfolds the identically (
exactly the same reaction from Snow, for example, Dum slumped to the ground in the same pose, just without red on his throat
) if you take the other approach.

Should I play this even though I haven't read Fables (yet) ?

Yes, but if you decide to read them the comics are worth your time up to at least issue 75 or thereabouts. At a certain point it started to water down in quality, possibly after the commissioning of half a dozen spin-offs - this being easily the best of the supplementary bunch - but it has been a consistently decent book that will have a definitive ending soon. (Issue 150, and they're only a dozen away from that.)

If you end up liking the world, characters, and atmosphere of the game, know that there's plenty more where that came from, albeit most of it with quite a different focus from the noirish TWAU.

Played episode 2 last night. Liked it a lot.

If people are saying episode 3 is even better, well, I'm excited! Gonna play that tonight.

The cool thing about this game is that my girlfriend enjoys it. This and Walking Dead are the only games I play that she gives a shit about. Thanks Telltale!

rawktapus

This is how I feel, too. I was excited for Fables because I thought it would be a resurgence of puzzles and meaningful exploration in their point and click games, but it really is starting to feel like I'm just watching a TV show with alternate scenes left in.

It's weird because I'm still enjoying it enough to play through, but every episode ends with kind of a "huh, that's it?"

Also
Bloody Mary is really annoying, every time she spoke I was rolling my eyes.

I was kinda hoping that
Crane may have ran away when he saw the picture which is why Bigby and Snow where chasing after him, only to find out that someone was using glamour to look like him. Maybe someone wants to get back at Bigby, would've been interesting.
I'm enjoying the story still but after episode 3, it feels like the story could've just ended. Since we know about 'who did and didn't do what' it doesn't seem like this new direction is a part of the story. Obviously only 3 episodes in but this seems like a new story at this point.

Salsa

those QTEs where you gotta button mash but they won't let you fill the thing or it'll start to drain anyway are so annoying, lol

they're an interesting way of getting a reaction out of you and the struggle certainly puts you in the character's mood, so I think it works, but I still hate em, haha

Pollux

Oh, I know all that. Just didn't like getting my ass kicked haha.

Regardless of the fact that there might be questionable amounts of 'freedom' and choice in the game; this is by far my favorite TellTale release. Atmosphere, mood, story, are all top. Characters are fantastic. Episode 3 was really great, very excited to see where things go from here.

I did not
kill Dum
even though I really hate those guys and I really wanted to. I'm too much of a good guy and a good cop to do that on my "main" save. On the other hand,
I want to murder Bloody Mary really badly, she thinks she's tough, nuh uh the big bad Wolf is tough.
The scene sort of lost its impact though because of a glitch. I was at the part where you are lying on the ground tapping X and then
the screen shoots over to a sign on the wall then Bigby is standing up and I'm fighting an invisible Dum and I have the choice to kill him again, which I don't, and then the whole thing with Mary happened again...

I didn't know going to
all three places was possible. What time did you get to Greenleaf's place? I went to Crane's, then the bar and arrived at Aunty Greenleaf's apartment 14 minutes late.

Pretty late but I just did this. I went to all three and what I did was
I went to Trip Trap first, then Crane's and then the Tweedles office and I made it to Greeleaf's apartment 14 minutes late.

Also I have to say, I was being patient but while I was being a detective and trying to you know, detect, in episodes 2 and 3 I was so annoyed by
Beauty and Flycatcher talking nonstop, interuppting every few seconds, holy hell shut up!
It was very annoying.

HiddenForbiddenHolyGround said:
Also I have to say, I was being patient but while I was being a detective and trying to you know, detect, in episodes 2 and 3 I was so annoyed by Beauty and Flycatcher talking nonstop, interuppting every few seconds, holy hell shut up! It was very annoying.

Oh man, me too. I kept yelling at my tv for Flycatcher to "shut the fuck up, I'm busy, I don't care!"

Top Bottom