• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are PlayStation fans who will buy almost any new product PlayStation puts out, says analyst

LakeOf9

All analysts agree there is an audience eager to pick up the Pro, albeit primarily composed of those most devoted PlayStation fans. "In that sense, it's like a Mercedes-AMG, a pimped up version of an already powerful product for the top end of the market," says Toto.

Elliott adds: "PlayStation is similar to Apple here but on a much smaller scale. It almost feels like a lifestyle brand – and there are PlayStation fans who will buy almost any new product PlayStation puts out. Like with Apple, the niche VR market was too big an ask for PlayStation 5 diehards, though."

Jokes aside, the article is a good piece on market performance expectations for the PS5 Pro

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
MtZ9N.gif

Nelly_Nel_7.1.3

Neo Member
The only reason why I will buy the PS5 Pro at launch is because I do not have a PS5 yet. I waited 4 years to get a PS5. Fast forward to this year I could have gotten the PS5 Slim but I’m going look at the PS5 Pro as an upgrade to the PS5 and PS5 Slim.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
Analysts i wonder what the anal stands for.

Imagine saying such thing when half of PlayStations playerbase is still on Ps4, because the Ps5 is still to expensive for them(and no games) especially 4 years after launch still the same price if not more depending where you live.Then bringing an even much more expensive PlayStation. Imagine that.

vivftp

Who are these loser assholes who're buying almost everything PlayStation puts out? My list only consists of (I jumped into the PS ecosystem in 2011 or so)...

PS3
PS Vita
PS4 (plus ~5 extra controllers)
Pulse headset (2 of them)
PS4 camera
PS4 Pro
PSVR
Move controllers
PS5 (plus an extra controller)
PS5 camera
PSVR2
DualSense Edge
PlayStation Portal
Pulse 3D headset
Pulse Explore earbuds
Inzone H7 headset (even if it's technically not from PlayStation, it's adjacent)
DualSense charging dock
6 years of PS+ Premium so I'm set until 2028

The PS5 Pro is gonna be a day 1 purchase.
If Sony ever has Audeze create a higher end headset than the Pulse Elites, then I'll be very interested to pick up one of those too.

So you see? I don't buy almost everything, there's plenty I haven't bought yet! like the PS5 remote control for example!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yeah, i was one of them. i bought everything they have made, but i drew the line at the $550 ps vr and this $780 monstrosity. psvr2 was the first hardware from sony that i didnt buy on day one since the ps2. thats almost 23 years. i even bought the move on day one. the move.

they have forgotten what made them great in the first place. it was offering the psp for $250 then pricing the vita at $250 seven years later, the ps4 at $399. that $399 price tag is what killed xbox that gen, not the used game speech from jack tretton. go back and watch the reaction to the $399 reveal. it was madness.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Analysts i wonder what the anal stands for.

Imagine saying such thing when half of PlayStations playerbase is still on Ps4, because the Ps5 is still to expensive for them(and no games) especially 4 years after launch still the same price if not more depending where you live.Then bringing an even much more expensive PlayStation. Imagine that.
I heard a couple of "neutral" podcasts talking about the $700 drama....oh boy....I could feel my few neurons dying.

Kacho

Gold Member
Reminds me of this.

And the greatest quote ever because it ended up being a real product
“I don’t think Nintendo fans are so stupid they would buy a piece of cardboard.“

Jokes aside, the article is a good piece on market performance expectations for the PS5 Pro

Interesting insights here

Piscatella notes that fans were already spending upwards of $1,000 on marketplaces like StockX to secure a PS5 at launch in 2020, and that Circana's Checkout service shows PlayStation already attracts the most high-income household purchasers when compared to the other consoles. 49% of people who bought a PS5 in the three months ending July 31 2024 were from households with income of over $100,000 per year. By comparison, only 43% of Xbox buyers and 40% of Switch purchases fell in the same category.

It seems Sony has shifted its target market from average gamers to those rich kids on the block to whom money doesn't matter.

If this Pro version does sell well as these experts predict, it will create a precedent for PS6, which will certainly be a more powerful machine.

And, I’ll just assume that PS is now a luxury brand, like Gucci, and not for me. I'll prefer a less powerful brand that meets my basic gaming needs.

Last edited:

GHound

True. I am curious what the ceiling is on the number of people that will buy pretty much anything based on brand alone for each platform holder currently.

It’s true. They would be leaving money on the table by pricing it cheaper. Hopefully they will bundle the disc drive for the same price after the core fans have all bought a Pro.

Danny22

Neo Member
The scalped prices of the PS5 proved that Sony was leaving money at the table by not pricing it much higher for that earlier rich hardcore audience willing to pay a lot for it.
No, this crowd won't buy anything that Sony puts out (PSVR2) but they will definitely buy the most expensive version of the PS5.

Let's say PS5 pro sells about 9 million at its current price (down from 13 million of PS4 Pro). Now let's imagine a PS5 pro2 comes out and sells at 1500 dollars effectively doubling its price right now, I bet there would still be 4-5 million people willing to pay for it!

vivftp

The scalped prices of the PS5 proved that Sony was leaving money at the table by not pricing it much higher for that earlier rich hardcore audience willing to pay a lot for it.
No, this crowd won't buy anything that Sony puts out (PSVR2) but they will definitely buy the most expensive version of the PS5.

Let's say PS5 pro sells about 9 million at its current price (down from 13 million of PS4 Pro). Now let's imagine a PS5 pro2 comes out and sells at 1500 dollars effectively doubling its price right now, I bet there would still be 4-5 million people willing to pay for it!

... PS5 Pro 2...

uhh, you know that the PS6 is only 4 years away, right?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Retard takes are retarded.

'Idiocracy' was predictive programming and these low IQs passed off as "journalists" need to source less from AI article parsing.

Killjoy-NL

Ofcourse, why not?

The only stuff I never bought are docking stations and the Pulse Earbuds.

I even bought peripherals like the Sharpshooter and PSVR Aim Controller.

Preseznik

During their lifecycles I bought:

PSX
PSOne
PS2
PS2 Slim (many variants)
PSP (several variants, including the Simpsons one just because it's yellow)
PS3 Fat
PS3 Slim (x2)
PS3 SuperSlim
(PS Move)
PS Vita
PS4 (x2)
PS4 Pro (x2)
(PSVR1)
PS5 (x3)
(PSVR2 x2)

And a ton of accessories for each, just so many.

And yet I'm disgusting by the value proposition of the PS5 Pro in 2024.

vivftp

Disc drive $80 extra.

Stand $30 extra.

Both are included with PS5 OG.

Giddy up and buy it up like an Apple adapter.

Still find it fascinating that folks are hung up on the vertical stand. The OG PS5 was the exception. Sony's always sold the vertical stand separately with the PS2, PS3 and PS4. Did folks whine about it so much when those consoles had the vertical stand sold separately? Or because they included it once in the past 20+ years that means they have to include it forever?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Still find it fascinating that folks are hung up on the vertical stand. The OG PS5 was the exception. Sony's always sold the vertical stand separately with the PS2, PS3 and PS4. Did folks whine about it so much when those consoles had the vertical stand sold separately? Or because they included it once in the past 20+ years that means they have to include it forever?
I'm gonna laugh when it comes with the same stand the PS5 comes with, and this was just for a more premium looking option.

DavidGzz

I've said in the past that I'm good with consoles being more expensive so that Sony and MS can stuff more power into them to future proof them more. That said, I wouldn't call this worth it without a more modern CPU. Maybe PSSR will surprise us but for now, it seems like a raw deal.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
You don't need an analyst for that and Sony knows it:
"The first five million are going to buy it (PS3), whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games." (CEO and Co-COO from Sony Computer Entertainment David Reeves on the PS3 launch, 2007)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You don't need an analyst for that and Sony knows it:
"The first five million are going to buy it (PS3), whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games." (CEO and Co-COO from Sony Computer Entertainment David Reeves on the PS3 launch, 2007)

With the way things are now, the first couple of million are probably gonna be scalpers.

Fess

yeah, i was one of them. i bought everything they have made, but i drew the line at the $550 ps vr and this $780 monstrosity. psvr2 was the first hardware from sony that i didnt buy on day one since the ps2. thats almost 23 years. i even bought the move on day one. the move.

they have forgotten what made them great in the first place. it was offering the psp for $250 then pricing the vita at $250 seven years later, the ps4 at $399. that $399 price tag is what killed xbox that gen, not the used game speech from jack tretton. go back and watch the reaction to the $399 reveal. it was madness.
They opened the PC port Pandora’s box, I think that’s their biggest mistake.

Truthfully, at what price would you have jumped in day 1 on a Pro when you know everything will come to your PC later, assumably with upgrades?
How much is timed exclusivity worth?

For me, certainly not €800. €700? Nah. €600? Nope. €500? Still too much.

Problem for me, I know I’ll double dip anyway if the PC upgrades are good so I feel like it’s better to stay on the launch console for the occasional rare games I can’t stay out of, like Astro Bot. If everything starts running at 30fps I’ll reconsider but Astro Bot runs smooth as butter and looks fantastic.

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
With the way things are now, the first couple of million are probably gonna be scalpers.
I don't think there will be many succesful scalpers. How much could you scalp with a 800 Euro console? Who would pay 1000 Euro for an upgrade with the same CPU? They rather scalp the disc drives.

Top Bottom