• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are PlayStation fans who will buy almost any new product PlayStation puts out, says analyst

Eszti

Banned
I don't think there will be many succesful scalpers. How much could you scalp with a 800 Euro console? Who would pay 1000 Euro for an upgrade with the same CPU? They rather scalp the disc drives.
people paid 1000-1200€ for a regular ps5. i can see it especially if the production volume is very low to keep the price high.

Bartski

Gold Member
Interview Crying GIF

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
people paid 1000-1200€ for a regular ps5. i can see it especially if the production volume is very low to keep the price high.
I haven't seen this. In Europe it was 800-900 Euro at the start and then dropped to 600 real quick. But this was a new product and no midgen refresh.

Paulistano

I think nintendo fans are worse... they would buy different consoles just to have different colors... of the same console...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm gonna laugh when it comes with the same stand the PS5 comes with, and this was just for a more premium looking option.

Didn't they already change the 'default' stand for the Slim? I'm gonna guess what comes in the box will be like that Allen Ranch looking thing that you can use to place it horizontally.

Kinda weird thing to cut costs on cause the fat PS5 came with a pretty damn solid stand that can do both vertical and horizontal positions.

ap_puff

yeah, i was one of them. i bought everything they have made, but i drew the line at the $550 ps vr and this $780 monstrosity. psvr2 was the first hardware from sony that i didnt buy on day one since the ps2. thats almost 23 years. i even bought the move on day one. the move.

they have forgotten what made them great in the first place. it was offering the psp for $250 then pricing the vita at $250 seven years later, the ps4 at $399. that $399 price tag is what killed xbox that gen, not the used game speech from jack tretton. go back and watch the reaction to the $399 reveal. it was madness.
What kind of graphics whore won't pay double standard console price for better graphics smh

/s

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didn't they already change the 'default' stand for the Slim? I'm gonna guess what comes in the box will be like that Allen Ranch looking thing that you can use to place it horizontally.

Kinda weird thing to cut costs on cause the fat PS5 came with a pretty damn solid stand that can do both vertical and horizontal positions.
They did it because at $700 that's already high. So if a drive and stand were included (at subsidized costs and not $80 + $30 retail), it'd probably be doable at $750 just like PS5 standard is $50 more than Digital Slim. At $750 it'd scare off even more people.

But for purists who want those attachments, they go for retail $110 so now Sony makes money of it. The cost price to stores I'll estimate at $80. So Sony selling the stuff individually makes them more money to boot.

This system is for hardcore gamers willing to pay high margins. It isnt meant for casuals. You can tell sony is jacking up prices looking for margin because for Europe, the currency exchange price even when taking into account tax implications is still oddly about $100 more than it should be compared to other regions (like Canada) which is pretty close to 1:1 exchange rate and has similar +sales tax pricing. I havent bothered seeing if the UK price is out of whack or close to 1:1 like Canada. Too lazy to do that math now. lol

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This system is for hardcore gamers willing to pay high margins. It isnt meant for casuals.

All these companies are such motherfuckers when it comes to stuff like this. Fucking Apple is charging $700 for wheels and Sony took out an extremely solid sturdy plastic stand that came with the packaging and is selling a metallic circle rimmed stand that costs $30.

This thing hasn't buckled in a literal earth quake.

6skGHIW.jpeg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All these companies are such motherfuckers when it comes to stuff like this. Fucking Apple is charging $700 for wheels and Sony took out an extremely solid sturdy plastic stand that came with the packaging and is selling a metallic circle rimmed stand that costs $30.

This thing hasn't buckled in a literal earth quake.

6skGHIW.jpeg
Yup.

Thats the nature of every company. There's always going to be a segment of their user base that are bigger spenders and willing to pay an abnormally higher price for a product that may technically be better, but the value equation starts getting wonky. You pay more for a few extra bells and whistles, or the coffee maker has an extra setting and some flashing LED lights. And somehow it's priced 50% more when the manufacturing price is only +10% more. Cant blame the company really. If people want to buy it at a big price might as well go with the flow and make more money off them.

It can also go the other way where a product can be actually worse or you get less, but pay the same price or more than a comparable product.

My company sells some green eco friendly products. We line price it with similar products, but to make it more expensive, they always have less amounts of product in it. It actually costs us less to make since it's less quantity and less chemicals in it.... dyes, scents, etc..). In reality, it's technically a worse product and you get less for your money. We make higher margins on this when intuitively you'd think a more eco friendly product would mean MORE R&D costs to make a less harmful product. All we do is reduce some ingredients and put in 10% less product to boot. And people think less quantity is justified because it's a better product for the same price, so getting less is ok. lol

But some people want that to save the environment. So we'll sell it. Only problem is the ecofriendly consumer is always a small segment no matter how many people are loud. The best selling products we sell are always just a mainstream normal product at a good value price. The eco friendlies and big spending premium consumers are small in number, but margin wise the best.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've yet to see any breakdown why this should be cheaper than it is other than their feelings.

The bom shouldn't be too far off the og ps5. Wifi 7 small cost up. Memory is far cheaper than 2019 and covid times. Same for nvme. They went to 4nm so the die space shouldn't be much different in size to the 6nm in og ps5.

I'm stumbling to see the big cost up here for Sony. They were either losing a load on ps5 and have changed course or they are rinsing hardcore fans for the pro.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Reminds me of this.

And the greatest quote ever because it ended up being a real product
Yup I was about to comment on Nintendo fandom and LABO 🤣.

The crazy thing to me wasn't that the fans will buy it, but the media was treating it as something revolutionary!

Compare this to media bias on Sony now, they presented the most advanced and powerful console ever and they are grilled about it 🤣

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
The bom shouldn't be too far off the og ps5. Wifi 7 small cost up. Memory is far cheaper than 2019 and covid times. Same for nvme. They went to 4nm so the die space shouldn't be much different in size to the 6nm in og ps5.

I'm stumbling to see the big cost up here for Sony. They were either losing a load on ps5 and have changed course or they are rinsing hardcore fans for the pro.
I want you to do the breakdown of Series X 2TB

I have heard its worth the price !🤣

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've yet to see any breakdown why this should be cheaper than it is other than their feelings.
I've yet to see any breakdown why regional pricing for some countries like Canada And Australia are pretty close to 1:1 currency exchange with the US, but then Europe is currency exchange +120 even when each region's way of taxing is different, and in older gens the regional pricing was a match and US/Euro currency exchange ratios were basically pegged the same compared to now.

US price is $700. Or about $750 after a Yank pays 7% tax (ballpark avg pending what state someone lives in). At $750 US, that's converted to 680 euros which would be an all in price. Yet Europeans are charged 800.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
All big brands have devoted loyalists. In other news water is wet!

Last edited:
You see this everywhere though. Die hard Apple fans are the same, they go out and queue for the next phone iteration every year. I don't care how people spend their money, everyone has a vice.

Playstation has been approaching Apple-style business for a while. This isn't really news.

Plus not everyone is willing to throw away a digital library of 2 gens or more.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
It's pretty much true.

If the console launched at a different price I would most likely binge it, but at 920 € it's a big fat no from me right now.

Might has well get a 64GB Ram kit for my PC instead.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Wow, they must be the only company in the entire world with fans like that.

Scratch that, entire galaxy, scratch that again, the entire universe

Vick

Gold Member
Interesting insights here

It seems Sony has shifted its target market from average gamers to those rich kids on the block to whom money doesn't matter.

If this Pro version does sell well as these experts predict, it will create a precedent for PS6, which will certainly be a more powerful machine.
Genuinely wish this is true, the entire thing. And not just from a selfish perspective, forcing some of the most brilliant people part of some of the finest studios on the planet to work on weak and affordable hardware exclusively throughout their entire careers has always felt kind of wrong.

About Time Phone GIF by John Crist Comedy

Not holding my breath, but would like to see it.

Astray

With the way things are now, the first couple of million are probably gonna be scalpers.
Lol no.

I bought my og ps5 at launch, was accidentally browsing a retailer's site when pre-orders came live, wasn't even planning on buying day 1 but thought worst-case scenario i can sell it.

I called up like 5 other guys who i knew wanted a ps5 and they put their orders in.

There's a lot of scalpers yes, but they don't constitute the majority because a lot of early ps5 games actually got sales at launch.

Darchaos

That has to be the case for every brand, some people just want to collect all there is for (insert random console brand).

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

I didn't ask about the bom.

I said value wise, give me a breakdown of why this should be cheaper than 700. That's a pretty simple question.

The PS5 Digital is 450 dollars. This is a fact and no one is complaining about that.

The PS5 Digital comes with a 1 TB SSD.
An additional 1TB SSD per sony's official pricing is 130, but that's not the whole story, since that takes up your expansion drive, the value of having the 2TB on board, means you can expand beyond that. But let's stick with 130 for now.

That means price-wise you're up to 580 and we haven't even touched the performance upgrades.

What is the value of the increased GPU? The dedicated RTX? The AI upscaling. Even if you put the value tag of each of these at 50 dollars a piece... you'd be at 730 dollars and that doesn't count the 10% boost on the CPU.

We haven't even mentioned the WiFi7 and I'm going to do you a favor and not count it, but I'll tell you that not everyone is in a position to use ethernet on their console, so this is going to be a significant improvement for a lot of people. A significant boost over WiFi 5 on base current gen hardware.

So please explain to me which feature is worth less than 50 dollars. No one on neogaf would sacrifice any of those options for just 50 dollars. Maybe the dedicated RTX simply for people who don't care about raytracing, but the reality is everyone has been pushing for more raytracing as its one of the graphical changes that can most differentiate visuals, especially when you don't have to cheap out on it, but it's been to expensive to implement in most console games... until now.

So please break it down for me.

JimboJones

I think nintendo fans are worse... they would buy different consoles just to have different colors... of the same console...
Playstation fans bought the portal, you can't sit their saying fans of anything else is worse 😂.
PS5pro is gonna sellout at launch, it's just the nature of things. Even the WiiU had a decent launch if I'm not mistaken.

BlackTron

You'd think they were selling this for $3,000. It's cheaper than an equivalent PC and significantly more powerful than any other console.

If you don't want it, don't buy it. But this is a bargain compared to the prices of Apple or other big-name electronics.

It's not a bad price for the list of stuff inside. It's just not the list of stuff people want. I think everyone would accept a 1TB with drive for $650 but Sony misread the market (or doesn't care and is not trying to sell it that hard, because they don't really need to).

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I've yet to see any breakdown why regional pricing for some countries like Canada And Australia are pretty close to 1:1 currency exchange with the US, but then Europe is currency exchange +120 even when each region's way of taxing is different, and in older gens the regional pricing was a match and US/Euro currency exchange ratios were basically pegged the same compared to now.

US price is $700. Or about $750 after a Yank pays 7% tax (ballpark avg pending what state someone lives in). At $750 US, that's converted to 680 euros which would be an all in price. Yet Europeans are charged 800.

I can't speak for the pricing in specific regions. I live in the US, and I think that 700 is a really reasonable price.

I don't know if you live in Europe or if you're concern trolling.

I'll also tell you that currency is not the only factor in regional pricing.

Sony has to warranty the PS5 Pro for 2 years in Europe rather than 1 year in North America.

If you take the US Price of 700 dollars convert it to euros * an additional 9.6%for warranty coverage and * 27 percent for VAT which is higher in Europe you'll find yourself at

630.88 euros base price
691.45 euros with warranty
878.14 euros with VAT of 27%

Let's do something funky and reduce the VAT to 20% despite the fact that this would allow people to price shop lower prices based on country

You're STILL at 829.74 euros.

And we still haven't considered other regulatory and operational costs to doing business in Europe.

Hope this helped you.

GHG

Behaving like this doesn't exist for hardcore fans of Nintendo and Microsoft products is laughable.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
You have to pay for warranty in the US?

In the US we only get a 1 year manufacturers warranty. In Europe you get 2 years.

I've estimated the value of an additional year of warranty based on if you bought a 2 year warranty through Amazon (an additional year).

Ironically Sony was Apple before Apple lol Steve Jobs used to talk with admiration about Sony's product ecosystem they just had a smarter execution than Sony..

Paulistano

Playstation fans bought the portal, you can't sit their saying fans of anything else is worse 😂.
PS5pro is gonna sellout at launch, it's just the nature of things. Even the WiiU had a decent launch if I'm not mistaken.
I had a friend with three GBA each a different model, same friend with 2 DS fat model and another with three DS (DS fat, slim and XL)... don't get me started on the 3ds and Switch... :messenger_dizzy:

And it's almost funny if not tiring, I know some people who have FOMO and love to show their new toy to people and be the first and It's funny because they expend a lot of money and later complain/cry a lot that they are short on it.

When the "fever" ends we will see how much it will sell, I think PS4 Pro sold about 14m?

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
In the US we only get a 1 year manufacturers warranty. In Europe you get 2 years.

I've estimated the value of an additional year of warranty based on if you bought a 2 year warranty through Amazon (an additional year).
Ok, i thought you meant no manufactorers warranty at all. In Europe Sony and Nintendo have 1 year and Microsoft 2 years and then of course some retailers offer optional "warranty".

Top Bottom