• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man this game has some of the shittiest platforming mechanics ever. I've died twice as much from falling to my doom due to the game not doing what I want to do than I've died from combat.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Man this game has some of the shittiest platforming mechanics ever. I've died twice as much from falling to my doom due to the game not doing what I want to do than I've died from combat.
Classic Tomb Raider confirmed lol

So, I had previously completed the game at 95% and just now I went back to obtain the missing collectables. Problem: When I go to every menu in the campfire it says I am 100% (Skills/Map/Weapons) BUT when I go back to the main menu it lists my save as 99% complete and I haven't unlocked the Steam achievement. Is my game save messed up? It is impossible to obtain 100% completion after finishing the main story? Am I missing a collectable not listed in the campfire?
EDIT: Never mind. I seem to have missed cliffside bunker. There wasn't a campfire there so I never saw the option to fast ravel there. I will wear the cone of shame.
EDIT2: Game is now 100% complete and achievement unlocked.

Sorian

Banned
So, I had previously completed the game at 95% and just now I went back to obtain the missing collectables. Problem: When I go to every menu in the campfire it says I am 100% (Skills/Map/Weapons) BUT when I go back to the main menu it lists my save as 99% complete and I haven't unlocked the Steam achievement. Is my game save messed up? It is impossible to obtain 100% completion after finishing the main story? Am I missing a collectable not listed in the campfire?

Did you upgrade all weapons and buy all skills?

SmithnCo

I thought this while playing Underworld. This handles like a dream compared to that.

yeah and sadly that was the core of the game and what you do most of the time.
If you just push forward to advance the plot its a mixed bag. Traversal to admire the sites, some exploration and collection, and some more sandboxy combat encounters also make up a lot of the game, but yeah, the scripted attacks, escapes and QTEs brought all the high points down.

As far as the ending goes, any of the "haters" who didn't pick this up can just imagine what they think it'd be and they'd probably be exactly right ;P

But the post-game scampering about brings the smile back to my face, even if there are no big puzzles to find. I don't use the maps, and some of the collectibles and challenge items are pretty well hidden.

Shotgun is bad past the 3 feet range and at that range the AR can burst down an enemy in the same amount of time.
True, but I did try to mix things up, if only to keep things interesting. I got a lot of use out of the pistol, for instance.

nel e nel

I for one think the MP isn't too bad, but there are obvious issues which are a no go in MP like when a character is descending on a zipline, when he detaches at the bottom, he disappears for a brief moment.

But overall I like it better than the Uncharted MP because it feels less clumsy, in Uncharted you stumble across the floor the whole time here it's much more snappy but then again I haven't played a lot of 3rd person mp's because I'm not a fan of it.

Disappearing for a brief moment is nothing compared to the COMPLETE LACK OF PARTY SUPPORT!!

Tried to play with my buddy yesterday, but we couldn't because you can't set up a party lobby and search for a game with your friends. No, you have to find a match on your own, hope that it's not full yet, then hope you can get a game invite off fast enough, then hope some more that your friend/party accepts the invite before the game fills up.

Seriously, who the hell let that get past QA? Especially considering they have a RANKED PLAYLIST!!

ironcreed

Banned
I thought this while playing Underworld. This handles like a dream compared to that.

Yeah, that is precisely why I stopped playing Underworld after only a couple of hours. The controls were absolutely terrible... especially the camera. This is a quantum leap in terms of improvement. Even if the platforming is easier, it still plays like silk and the camera is spot on.

spekkeh

Banned
I would say 3, more with exploration.

I would say 5 at least.

You know, if they replaced Lara with a 12' tall komodo dragon, this entire game would be the best Godzilla reboot ever

Lol yep, she's a veritable weapon of mass destruction.

That's actually the thing that worries me the most. Going from a hapless girl to a destructive force of nature is fine for a reboot. But now that she's more of a cold killer than ever, they have no room left to do anything remotely profound with her in the next installments. After absolutely destroying a 1000 headed insidious cult that broke all her bones, what's left to faze her? It's back to being the cool big breasted adventurer stereotype.

Sorian

Banned
I would say 5 at least.

Lol yep, she's a veritable weapon of mass destruction.

That's actually the thing that worries me the most. Going from a hapless girl to a destructive force of nature is fine for a reboot. But now that she's more of a cold killer than ever, they have no room left to do anything remotely profound with her in the next installments. It's back to being the cool big breasted adventurer stereotype.

Plot twist, the sequel starts with her getting thrown in jail for excessive force.

spekkeh

Banned
Tomb Raider: PTSD

Raid the tombs of your mind while being locked up in the padded walls of a mental institution.
Upgrade your drooling skills to inflict extra damage on the men in white.

spekkeh

Banned
You must have SERIOUSLY back-loaded all your exploration to the end-game.
Yeah my bad, I thought this was before the helicopter thing. Still, I think three hours is a safer bet. (but then, having not finished the game myself yet, that's judging by my wife's playthrough. I think she took longer, but there's a real possibility she's seriously crap at the game)

Yeah, that is precisely why I stopped playing Underworld after only a couple of hours. The controls were absolutely terrible... especially the camera. This is a quantum leap in terms of improvement. Even if the platforming is easier, it still plays like silk and the camera is spot on.
Couldn't agree more. This is light years better in terms of control and camera work.

El_Chino

Guys, I think I've encountered a game breaking glitch soon after
Grm's death scene
where Roth is about to give you cover and you have to make two jumps to make it to the bridge and it just pans out zoomed into the sky with subtitles popping up but I can't see Lara nor can I move around. It's annoying me and I've tried reloading the checkpoint multiple times and it still has the same result.

To the people that are saying this game's combat was too easy and you just breezed through it, what difficulty did you play on? I played on hard all the way to completion, and I have to say, it was pretty damned hard in some places. If anyone says they breezed through hard difficulty with no problems I'm just going to come right out and call BS

Sorian

Banned
To the people that are saying this game's combat was too easy and you just breezed through it, what difficulty did you play on? I played on hard all the way to completion, and I have to say, it was pretty damned hard in some places. If anyone says they breezed through hard difficulty with no problems I'm just going to come right out and call BS

It's really not that bad. The only issue I had was one of the waves in shantytown and as I said somewhere in this topic, that is only because I was going for a bow as much as possible run through. At least make it so I felt a little like I was "surviving"

I think I'm heading to the endgame now, so I'm going to go back and go collectible hunting first. I don't like hanging around after the main story is finished.

The game keeps impressing me. The beach area was awesome. Just a top notch adventure, despite some storytelling weaknesses. Visually and technically superb. I wonder if anyone was expecting this game to be even half as good.

Guys, I think I've encountered a game breaking glitch soon after
Grm's death scene
where Roth is about to give you cover and you have to make two jumps to make it to the bridge and it just pans out zoomed into the sky with subtitles popping up but I can't see Lara nor can I move around. It's annoying me and I've tried reloading the checkpoint multiple times and it still has the same result.

Change the aspect ratio and see if it helps. I've had menus completely go off screen because Aspect ratio was set to auto instead of 16:9

Regarding the overall quality of the game, I'd give this one a 9/10. If they can make the sequel less linear, and make the world kind of Dark Soulsy where you can explore different areas of the world in any order, and have more macro-scale puzzles instead of all these micro puzzles (the not-so-secret-tombs were a huge disappointment), they would have a masterpiece of the ages on their hands. The first one might be hard to do while telling a cohesive story, but the second one should definitely be do-able.

All the areas, like Shanty Town, Mountain Village, Shipwreck Beach, etc are all HUGE, but the only purpose of their hugeness is so that you have a lot of territory to platform over, and so that there are a lot of nooks and crannies to hide objects in. The entire area should be part of one massive puzzle. That alone would bring the game from great to legendary IMO.

Zeth

Finished! 'Twas a great ride. I'm at 77% completion with 10 hours logged on Steam, but I might have played a bit in offline mode before it launched in my time zone, does 10 hours sound accurate?

Some of the set pieces, especially toward the end, were really good - Uncharted-caliber IMO.

Having finished it, I can definitely say I'm excited for the franchise. I think it has all the ingredients for an amazing sequel if they do it right.

edit edit: I'm gonna check out the MP this week. I've heard more than a few people mentioning having fun with it.

antitrop

Finished! 'Twas a great ride. I'm at 77% completion with 10 hours logged on Steam, but I might have played a bit in offline mode before it launched in my time zone, does 10 hours sound accurate?

Some of the set pieces, especially toward the end, were really good - Uncharted-caliber IMO.

Having finished it, I can definitely say I'm excited for the franchise. I think it has all the ingredients for an amazing sequel if they do it right.
I'm at 15 hours on Steam and I haven't quite finished the game, yet. I have <1 hour to go, I'm about to finish it here in a short bit.

Give or take ~1 hour of that for benchmarking/messing with PC configurations, etc you may be a bit on the quicker side for finishing this game. Average seems to be about 12-13.

Zeth

I'm at 15 hours on Steam and I haven't quite finished the game, yet. I have <1 hour to go, I'm about to finish it here in a short bit.

Give or take ~1 hour of that for benchmarking/messing with PC configurations, etc you may be a bit on the quicker side for finishing this game.

I could very well have put in ~3 additional hours that weren't logged by Steam, I'm not totally sure how that works though.

I played on Hard by the way. It was incredibly easy, as I'm sure others have found. There were a handful of firefights that seemed poorly balanced, where I thought I'd have to change the difficulty, but I made it through.

Sorian

Banned
Also minor spoiler but I loled at the fact that
they don't show how Lara gets down from the top of the radio tower.

I feel like I vaguely remember seeing a zipline on the way up that I couldn't jump up to. Could she have gotten down that way?
I don't remember how much broke after that point

Bladenic

I feel like I vaguely remember seeing a zipline on the way up that I couldn't jump up to. Could she have gotten down that way?
I don't remember how much broke after that point

Hmm I don't recall seeing anything. There's was a zip line to the next area but nothing from the very top to the midpoint she respawns at. Unless I completely missed it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game at around 11 hours played with 78% completion.

It looked absolutely incredible and I had a great time playing through it. Graphically, there were definitely some next gen moments here and there. Too bad there weren't more tombs with elaborate puzzles, but I enjoyed the tiny sections that were in the game. The combat was also quite a joy, although playing with a mouse and keyboard almost felt like cheating.

All in all, I think this was a fun reboot. I hope they go for more puzzles in whatever they do next, though.

Cheska

So guys, guess what? My game froze right at the end (late late game spoiler) when I defeated
Mathias. Literally right where Lara tries to intervene between the Queen and Sam. BAM! Game froze :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
At least the QTEs with a keyboard are such bullshit that it sort of balances out into the equation defining "the opposite of fun".

Ehh, I got used to 'em pretty quickly. ADADADADADADADADADADADADADADAD... wait a second... F.

Luckily they mostly disappeared after the first couple of hours.

Ehh, I got used to 'em pretty quickly. ADADADADADADADADADADADADADADAD... wait a second... F.

Luckily they mostly disappeared after the first couple of hours.

The five minutes it took me to figure out the QTE button was F were definitely my least fun five minutes playing the game.

Just finished the game. Brilliant. Not quite up to par with Uncharted 2, but I enjoyed it just as much as Uncharted 1 & 3. I use the comparison as Tomb Raider pretty much feels like a hybrid of Uncharted and Batman: Arkham Asylum. Not a bad thing. The game had quite a decent story and was a good starting point for a reboot I felt. Can't wait to see where the (presumably) next gen sequel will take us.

Haven't touched multiplayer. Not a big fan of multiplayer outside of the occasional Call of Duty game with friends, so I may never bother with it.

I was wondering why I was having a hard time with some gunfights, but then I remembered I could abuse the roll, and after that I've barely used cover ;p

Dartastic

I just got to the marsh. Holy shit, that scene was soooooo freaking good. Just sneaking around in the pitch dark and shooting dudes in the head with arrows was ridiculously fun.

Top Bottom