• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

I just got to the marsh. Holy shit, that scene was soooooo freaking good. Just sneaking around in the pitch dark and shooting dudes in the head with arrows was ridiculously fun.

I pick axed 90% of that area and took the last few out with my bow, from the comfort of the tree platforms. Brilliant, tense area. Full of atmosphere.

I was wondering why I was having a hard time with some gunfights, but then I remembered I could abuse the roll, and after that I've barely used cover ;p

How far are you? Later you just get swarmed with like 10 dudes at a time who can 2 or 3 shot you, have masks so takes like 3-4 shotgun blasts to the face to kill, or who triangle mashing for melee kills doesn't really work.

Dartastic

I pick axed 90% of that area and took the last few out with my bow, from the comfort of the tree platforms. Brilliant, tense area. Full of atmosphere.
The only time I stopped being all sneaky was at the very end of the area when I had to go up the stairs. Gah, so good.

Derrick01

Banned
I was wondering why I was having a hard time with some gunfights, but then I remembered I could abuse the roll, and after that I've barely used cover ;p

The game gets even easier once you get the
grenade launcher
for your assault rifle. If you use it at the right moments you become unstoppable.

Finished it today.

That. Was. Awesome. Loved this game so much. Had a lot of fun. Love Lara. Really like the story (predictable pulp, but the atmosphere and horror leanings went a long way). Fantastic art design. Really liked the voice acting. Loved the background story (finding documents became my crack). Game is visually lovely, good sound design, liked the soundtrack. Combat was great. Cover system/scramble worked great. The bow needs to make a comeback.

Awesome game. I'm down for a sequel.

Pachimari

Tomorrow I'll play through multiplayer and then it's back to God of War: Ascension.

I think I'll rank the games like this so far:

01. Tomb Raider (2013)
02. Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
03. Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness
04. Tomb Raider: Legend
05. Tomb Raider II
06. Tomb Raider: Chronicles
07. Tomb Raider
08. Tomb Raider III

I don't feel like I can rank Anniversary and Underworld. I have played them but I can't remember them well.

bigace33

The game should have ended at
the death of Lara's mentor/ helicopter crash
Everything else just felt tacked on after that, though there were some serious set pieces at the real end of the game.

antitrop

The game gets even easier once you get the
grenade launcher
for your assault rifle. If you use it at the right moments you become unstoppable.
Oh, I forgot I had that.
I just beat the game without ever using it once outside of blowing up the environment.

There aren't enough enemy encounters in this game to make use of all your skills. So many of the upgrades and skills are completely superfluous.

statham

I just got to the marsh. Holy shit, that scene was soooooo freaking good. Just sneaking around in the pitch dark and shooting dudes in the head with arrows was ridiculously fun.
that was my favorite moment of the game, it took me 2 times before I learned what I should do. then I was killed on the stairs. :/

bryanee

Once all the enemies were dead, it was my single favorite exploration/item collection area in the game.

And killing all the enemies was extremely fun, as well.

Yeah, I enjoyed that. It didn't take long at all take out the enemies and then exploring it was fun.

CaLe

Event after today's patch, the game is unplayable on my GTX 670. Anyone else experiencing crashes ?

This is pathetic.

Pachimari

My favorite section is when you are
at the forest at night and can take out all the mercenaries the way you see fit while a wolf is lurking somewhere in the bushes
. What is that section called?

What I hope for in a sequel is a better story; more support cast development; more varied stealth take-outs; hiding bodies; more focus on survival and hunting; traps maybe; and still place it in the jungle or maybe the desert like in Last Revelation.

Dartastic

Crow takes a lot longer to swallow than initially thought.
Indeed.
My favorite section is when you are
at the forest at night and can take out all the mercenaries the way you see fit while a wolf is lurking somewhere in the bushes
. What is that section called?

What I hope for in a sequel is a better story; more support cast development; more varied stealth take-outs; hiding bodies; more focus on survival and hunting; traps maybe; and still place it in the jungle or maybe the desert like in Last Revelation.
It's the marsh. The area I was just in. :p

Dahbomb

It's actually weird that at one point games that ticked all the boxes were generally considered a good thing. The 2 games where I first started seeing this trend was with Batman AC and Darksiders 2. After that I was more interested in focused experiences.

Bladenic

The composite bow looks so badass. The rifle is best for firefights, but I think the bow is the best overall weapon hands down. The pistol is good for headshots, while the shotgun is nigh useless IMO.

And I loved Shantytown. There hasn't been a single area I haven't liked. The forest at night was definitely among my favorites though.

As for the sequel, I actually don't care about a better supporting cast except for perhaps a slightly more developed villain (although he's good if you get and read all the documents). I think this game would have been better if the only characters beside Lara were Roth, Whitman, and Sam I guess. The rest are nothing. I really only care about Lara, so keep the focus on her next game more solely.

Also minor spoiler but I loled at the fact that
they don't show how Lara gets down from the top of the radio tower.

You’re remembering it wrong. You jump on a zip line from the very top of the
radio tower
and land in a new section...

Where is the fourth 'previous inhabitant' poster in cliffside bunker (ship)?

Just before going on the zip line to
the ship
- look up. Took me ages to find it!

Edit: Lmao just killed some crab and apparently there was an achievement tied to it!

The Tomb Raider community named it after seeing it for a split second in the first trailer.

It was a really nice, funny little touch to have included him in as an achievement/trophy.

That was one hell of... a disappointing ending.

Story wise? Kind of. Gameplay wise? Hellllllllll no!

I wonder if anyone was expecting this game to be even half as good.

Err, me? I always knew the game was going to be great from the start....

I think I'll rank the games like this so far:

01. Tomb Raider (2013)
02. Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
03. Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness
04. Tomb Raider: Legend
05. Tomb Raider II
06. Tomb Raider: Chronicles
07. Tomb Raider
08. Tomb Raider III

Oof, Angel of Darkness in third place? I can't.

Zeth

Are there any enemies to kill after you finish the story? I'm guessing no, but I really wanted to test my fully upgraded weapons that I never got around to using :p

Event after today's patch, the game is unplayable on my GTX 670. Anyone else experiencing crashes ?

This is pathetic.

Try disabling Fraps/Afterburner/etc? I've heard of people having issues. It ran perfectly for me on a 680. I switched to the Hitman inspector profile when that was a trick making the rounds on release day, but I'm not sure if it did anything.

Grisby

Anyone give me a hand on one of the collectibles? It's in the
Geothermic caverns right by the fast travel campfire. It's a treasure map on top of a whole bunch of boxes and I can't seem to find a way up there. You had to explode the gas to get a crate to fall down so you could climb up and proceed to the next area. I see no way of getting up there.

Dahbomb

Game is amazing. Will be playing through it a second and third time in the coming week.
LOL... why? You can experience everything the game has to offer when you 100% it on Hard. It's going to be a mess trying to replay the game's inane "set pieces" and QTEs while attempting to skip unskippable cutscenes.

Kyari

Yep, Steph was originally the first corpse you come across in the opening, but they changed it to a random character.

Ahh, I was wondering if something like this was the case. Or characters removed for time/budget or something. I was worried I'd somehow forgotten about a handful of characters.

TripOpt55

Anyone give me a hand on one of the collectibles? It's in the
Geothermic caverns right by the fast travel campfire. It's a treasure map on top of a whole bunch of boxes and I can't seem to find a way up there. You had to explode the gas to get a crate to fall down so you could climb up and proceed to the next area. I see no way of getting up there.
I think you can climb right up the boards on the side. Just jump onto the boards on the side and press up. Unless I am thinking of a different spot.

Grisby

I think you can climb right up the boards on the side. Just jump onto the boards on the side and press up. Unless I am thinking of a different spot.
Might be. I thought it looked like I should be able to climb there but maybe I didn't get it pixel perfect.

I'll give it a shot in a bit, thanks.

Spazznid

Yeah shantytown is so bad. Game comes to a screeching halt

My favorite part of the game.

I really wish they'd quit with the Multiplayer DLCs and just release a Wave-based challenge mode with an additional Ironman last as long as possible mode. Include areas like Shanty Town, The Beach, Flaming Fortress, etc.

My favorite part of the game.

I really wish they'd quit with the Multiplayer DLCs and just release a Wave-based challenge mode with an additional Ironman last as long as possible mode. Include areas like Shanty Town, The Beach, Flaming Fortress, etc.

Really? Its so ugly and the combat feels so stifled just wave after wave of guys coming from 1 of 2 spots and a million red barrels to take care of them. It really soured me on the game especially since Fortress is right after it another part of the game I really dislike. Thankfully its saved by the beach.

El_Chino

Really? Its so ugly and the combat feels so stifled just wave after wave of guys coming from 1 of 2 spots and a million red barrels to take care of them. It really soured me on the game especially since Fortress is right after it another part of the game I really dislike. Thankfully its saved by the beach.

Combat wise it's not great but I enjoyed looking and searching every little spot for relics or gps locators.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd put it about 60/40 from what I've seen around the board, maybe 70/30. More and more people are starting to realize just how shallow and pointless the game is.

Oh, it most certainly is.

It asks you to think for yourself approximately two or three times in the entire game, and if you take too long, Lara will start voicing the solution out loud.

With that said, I enjoyed the game for what it is--another one of those linear spectacle rides. It helped the visuals were extremely impressive and it was pretty fun to shoot people in the head and stab them in the face with a pick axe.

Spazznid

I didn't notice their spawn locations, I run around a lot when I fight in this game. I had loads of fun and the combat in this is challenging in just the right way.

So I just learned the hard way that there's an English only and a French only version of the game in Quebec. No one told me at the counter I got the French only one. Great.

TripOpt55

If you don't play with the assault rifle the combat becomes much better especially if you just stick with the bow.

The radest enemies in the game on the hardest difficulty in what is the most epic encounter literally reduced to this. I didn't move one step from this spot either.

Makes me so sad :(

I wasn't really using the assault rifle just because the bow is so fun and then I randomly switched over to the AR late in the game for a bit and it was so overpowered. It was ridiculous.

Top Bottom