• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Oh gosh armed men! At least they are not gorillas this time.
Also thanks ;)

There is one section in perticular at night where you can hunt and prowl and shoot from the trees ...or avoid if you want :D Good stuff.

"Not having to use things" is never a good deflection of criticism when it comes to game design.

Granted, .gifs aren't a great form of discourse either, but still.

Well I don't see the huge outcry for it either. It will simple bother some people, and other like myself won't think anything of it.

I still find it funny people are making this as big a deal as they are. News flash, it's a late unloackable in your skills tree and you don't have to unlock it or use it for that matter.

"Not having to use things" is never a good deflection of criticism when it comes to game design.

Granted, .gifs aren't a great form of discourse either, but still.

Or T rexes

Third Tomb Raider game should have her get stoned out of her fucking mind and face her darkest fears and all the people she's killed in her life. Or some fucked up scary entity with psychic powers hidden beneath a subterranean kingdom in Antarctica.

Like, Uncharted 3 + Metal Gear Solid 3 Sorrow Fight.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
After those Camilla pics...

Ptyzk.jpg

Did you misspell it during a spelling bee as a child?
No, that was neighbor. Fucking e before i. I woulda won that bee damnit.

In relation to Tomb Raider the word bugs me, because seemingly shuffling puzzling off to a dark corner while emphasizing combat and executions makes something more relevant.

What's the ammo situation in this game? Is there a lot lying around or do you have to scavenge for it?

You find crates and such, you can unlock skills to find more ammo on enemies or to make sure you get the bows back you stick in people. I wouldn't say its super scarce.

Andrew.

Banned
Third Tomb Raider game should have her get stoned out of her fucking mind and face her darkest fears and all the people she's killed in her life. Or some fucked up scary entity with psychic powers hidden beneath a subterranean kingdom in Antarctica.

That sounds about as outrageous as my crazy idea where she is ripping off of Ripley and Aliens.

I like it.

DukeBobby

You have the best ideas.

Zeth

So the PC download purchase on greenmangaming for this game with the coupon for 36 bucks, will they just send me a steam code?

Also, anything in general I should know about the PC version that may be screwy?

Which code are you using for GMG? The 25% code doesn't seem to work for me.

Also, looks like no one sees the PC version until it launches on Steam? Weird.

MormaPope

Banned
This is the best Tomb Raider ever. Get mad.

If Angel of Darkness, which took place in a French city, has more Tomb Raider elements than the Tomb Raider reboot, the reboot isn't a Tomb Raider game. Shit, someone in this very thread said they missed Angel of Darkness after playing this reboot. That's insane.

If I made an open world GTA clone that was part of the Mario franchise and the visuals were realistic and Mario looks like a real Italian but he has a mustache and has suspenders, it would be hard to say that's the best Mario game, even if the game was good.

If anything it seems that some of the people really excited for about this Tomb Raider are delusional about how not Tomb Raider this reboot is.

The sequels to the Tomb Raider reboot will either be really different or another Uncharted adventure with avalanches and mudslides.

AlexBasch

If anything it seems that some of the people really excited for about this Tomb Raider are delusional about how not Tomb Raider this reboot is.
I hated the old Tomb Raiders for being shitty 3D platformer games back in the day. This seems like something I would play for fun.

Yes, I do enjoy killing gaming and being part of the problem. :]

and that's just fine! Just saying it's totally avoidable!
But it's there! ;_;

I'm being sarcastic btw. :D

RagnarokX

The Tomb Raider series did end. Everything that made it what we love ended. There is no difference; the series ended either way. Arbitrarily labeling it "Tomb Raider" for this game was a bit like your favorite pet dog dying and then them buying a new pet dog and giving it the same name. Well, no, they're not the same, even if you give it the same name. The one you loved is still dead.

Wouldn't it be more like a statue of your dead dog? Or one of those robot dogs?

Which code are you using for GMG? The 25% code doesn't seem to work for me.

Also, looks like no one sees the PC version until it launches on Steam? Weird.

GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS

It was a little finicky the first time I put it in, then I tried it again and it worked

That sounded way more sexual than I intended...

Andrew.

Banned

We aren't delusional. We just don't give a fuck. The game looks great and is supposed to be FUN. I know, I know, it's a long forgotten word around here.

We aren't delusional. We just don't give a fuck. The game looks great and is supposed to be FUN. I know, I know, it's a long forgotten word around here.

Brofist! You know. My mindset also has two options. Even if the game doesn't look like what I expected out of a franchise. A. I play it and enjoy it for what it is. Or B. Simple don't play it. For me it will always be A. Can't help it.

The use of that buzzword is frowned upon. You should know this by now.

I know right. Imagine a world without the word fun! We could fill in th blanks. I had ___ with my gf. Then we played some mario kart and had even more ___. If only we could have had a little bit more ___. SON OF A BITCH!

After those Camilla pics...

Ptyzk.jpg

Good... goooooood... let the semen flow through you.

Eugh, I regret that comment.

The sequels to the Tomb Raider reboot will either be really different or another Uncharted adventure with avalanches and mudslides.

I foresee something completely different if they wanna keep the wide linear and hub system. I don't think it'll be another island, but I see multiple hubs separated into chapters or something. If I had a piece of paper, I'd draw how I can see a larger more globe-trotting adventure TR2 would look like.

But hey. Sorrow-esque battle through the mind. That'd be awesome, don't you dare say it wouldn't cause that'd be a lie.

The sequel has to be completely different. I don't think it'll be linear like UC2. I'm thinking in my head how the narrative and environment would gel together, as how the survival and exploration narrative gels with the hub system/wide linear form of this TR game. I would like a variety of environments while retaining the hub system of this game. It's an interesting challenge.

MormaPope

Banned
I hated the old Tomb Raiders for being shitty 3D platformer games back in the day. This seems like something I would play for fun.

Yes, I do enjoy killing gaming and being part of the problem. :]

And that's fine, but phrases and connotations that this Tomb Raider still has Tomb Raider elements at all is disingenuous.

Also back in that era there weren't many 3D platformers, let alone 3D platforming with puzzles and gun play/combat. So the original Tomb Raiders weren't really bad at the time at all.

That's all well and good, and I agree. But that fun comes at the expense of a series that had something very unique to offer.

Just showing some respect for the dead.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Tomb Raider is a shit series but this game..this game looks decent. Will grab for half price in 2 weeks. Mp might be fun too.

I would imagine that a sequel would see Lara being a super jaded thrill seeker or mercenary type, so the game could still feature tons of dudes to shoot and some semblance of character progression. It'd be really hackneyed for them to helplessly toss her into yet another series of unfortunate events in the middle of nowhere.

Andrew.

Banned
That's all well and good, and I agree. But that fun comes at the expense of a series that had something very unique to offer.

Just showing some respect for the dead.

That's all well and good too, but it gave something unique to us 17 years ago and then it slowly began its downfall. It's time to move the fuck on and grow with the new direction.

Easier said than done, I know.

MormaPope

Banned

I didn't say you were, that's why are used the word "some". Also fun is different for a lot of people obviously, this Tomb Raider is attempting to cater to a different group of people instead of retaining it's identity along with new mechanics. It's always a possibility to please almost everyone, and this Tomb Raider doesn't.

That's all well and good too, but it gave something unique to us 17 years ago and then it slowly began its downfall. It's time to move the fuck on and grow with the new direction.

Easier said than done, I know.

I really hope you aren't disappointed with the final product, you're putting a lot of faith that this is the best new direction for the series.

Sure. It's just a little too bad that this "new direction" isn't unique in the slightest.

Andrew.

Banned
I didn't say you were, that's why are used the word "some". Also fun is different for a lot of people obviously, this Tomb Raider is attempting to cater to a different group of people instead of retaining it's identity along with new mechanics. It's always a possibility to please almost everyone, and this Tomb Raider doesn't.

Everyone on here seems pretty pleased so for aside from the half dozen to ten of you. Which aint shit.

That's all well and good too, but it gave something unique to us 17 years ago and then it slowly began its downfall. It's time to move the fuck on and grow
Well we'd probably disagree on what led to that downfall. For me it was the continued focus on adding more combat and human enemies.

Moving on is good, but I don't think I'd call this new game grown up.

But we'll see. Should be able to start the pre-load when I get home.

dreamfall

It's not unique.

But it'll be good to see what positive things we can take away from this iteration of the game and mix them with some of the puzzles/level design of the older titles for a good sequel.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I would imagine that a sequel would see Lara being a super jaded thrill seeker or mercenary type, so the game could still feature tons of dudes to shoot and some semblance of character progression. It'd be really hackneyed for them to helplessly toss her into yet another series of unfortunate events in the middle of nowhere.

Not like it hasn't been done before.
Dead Space.

AlexBasch

And that's fine, but phrases and connotations that this Tomb Raider still has Tomb Raider elements at all is disingenuous.

Also back in that era there weren't many 3D platformers, let alone 3D platforming with puzzles and gun play/combat. So the original Tomb Raiders weren't really bad at the time at all.
I know. I recall borrowing Tomb Raider from a friend in exchange of my Megaman X4 because he wanted to play it so bad. Played a bit of it, then played Tetris Attack on my SNES for about a month. I didn't had the heart to tell him how much I disliked that game, and I still do.

I suppose I'll treat this game as Uncharted: Lara's Misfortune as a spinoff of ND franchise. I don't give a crap about the character or the previous games, but the gameplay I have seen from the game has gained my interest.

Dahbomb

I keep seeing this word and it makes me wince every time.
It just means a game released with a decent sized budget sometime soon. It's like how reviewers said that DmC made DMC relevant again even though DMC has always been relevant, it's just that there was a 5 year gap in between a major release so the general public had sort of forgotten about it.

I really hope you aren't disappointed with the final product, you're putting a lot of faith that this is the best new direction for the series.

A lot of us are just happy that they went in a new direction. The old stuff was selling less and less for a reason. Stale. I'd rather they try something new for the series than just keep regurgitating the same old shit. The XBLA/PSN was a wonderful surprise too.

Who says new directions have to be unique. Everyone steals from everyone else these days. With movies, with music, with games. We just need to suck it up and deal.

Urrrg, I hate this blind acceptance. No we DON'T have to "suck it up and deal." That's the worst advice for getting anything about this reboot direction changed. At that rate we won't even get optional tombs babby's first puzzle rooms in the sequel.

I like the old Tomb Raider games and am very excited about this one and the direction it is going, but on the flip side I totally understand where the haters are coming from because it's the exact same stance I have from DMC.

Andrew.

Banned
Urrrg, I hate this blind acceptance. No we DON'T have to "suck it up and deal." That's the worst advice for getting anything about this reboot direction changed. At that rate we won't even get optional tombs babby's first puzzle rooms in the sequel.

Babys First Puzzle room will be paid DLC

Who says new directions have to be unique. Everyone steals from everyone else these days. With movies, with music, with games. We just need to suck it up and deal.

Indeed, who does say they have to be unique? I sure as hell didn't. I just said that it's understandable that people are lamenting the fact that this brand new reboot simply retrofits the series into a well-worn genre. It's too bad that this reboot of a groundbreaking franchise isn't really all that groundbreaking.

As I've said multiple times now, I'm not here to shit on the game. I think it's awesome that a game with a (hopefully) well-written female protagonist is going to get some mainstream exposure. I'm always down to play a decent action game. It's just that "suck it up and deal" typically isn't my approach to media criticism. I don't have to be head-over-heels in love with everything I play. It's totally reasonable to play, enjoy, and then discuss the merit of a video game without falling into extreme "I LOVE IT" or "FUCK THIS GAME" camps.

dreamfall

Well we'd probably disagree on what led to that downfall. For me it was the continued focus on adding more combat and human enemies.

Moving on is good, but I don't think I'd call this new game grown up.

But we'll see. Should be able to start the pre-load when I get home.

I agree with you, pretty much completely.

I don't think it'll be emotionally mature or grown-up, but at least if the focus is on combat and it gets pieces of that right, it'll be a good action game.

A poor combat system definitely contributed to some of the franchise's missteps.

MormaPope

Banned
Everyone on here seems pretty pleased so for aside from the half dozen to ten of you. Which aint shit.

And how many of you have played the game or do what I and others did and watched the entire game on youtube? Your defensive attitude is pretty jarring, so the game is great because a bunch of people are excited?

Also this being the Tomb Raider OT would mean the majority of people don't want to hear criticism or assertions about the reboot, since critical negativity makes the consumers for the product scared that those criticisms might be true and that'll devalue the game or whatever.

Top Bottom