• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

EazyB

Banned
I won't lie, the mediocre reviews have deflated my anticipation of the game quite a bit. It's no longer a day 1 but if I hear a lot of good things from users then I'll probably still pick it up. Otherwise, it's a Gamefly rental.

C Jones

slasher_thrasher21 said:
i'm blocked here at work. Anyone care to put some choice quotes from his post.
Here are some of the tips (the others are pretty obvious if you've played the demo a good amount)

How to deal with polarity enemies? If an enemy is fire, poison or ice you can keep your distance - but still attack in melee with a fierce attack (push LS and RS at the enemy simultaneously)

Lost? Look for clues in the environment, lights will pulsate in the direction you are supposed to head, doors will have animated lights around the frame of where you should go.

Charm system confusing? Equip the charm, then "complete" it by inserting the proper runes into it after you have accomplished the specific objective for that charm. Rare charms need common charms inserted into them rather than runes

eznark

Banned
Zefah said:
Well I guess you don't enjoy going back to old areas after leveling up and getting new items and just obliterating the enemies that gave you trouble earlier in the game. I find it to be rather entertaining and I think a lot of people enjoy that part of RPGs and hack & slash games. I have always found level scaling to be really annoying. If the monsters are going to level up with you, then what is the point of even having levels?

I just find it really annoying and because Too Human utilizes such a system I think I will definitely be passing on it. If you enjoy games where all enemies stay relative in power with the player, then I'm sure you will have blast.

I thought the way abilities and skill stack would make up for this, like in Lost Odyssey. THe enemies but because you have more varied abilities you can deal with them in different ways that they are not equipped to defend.

At least, that is how I am hoping it is.

eznark

Banned
I stopped at the Circuit City by my office, no luck. I probably won't have time to play it til Sunday but I'm stoked to pick the damn thing up

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Zefah said:
Wait... so the monsters' levels scale with the player? ...in a hack and slash game? Can anyone confirm this? If this is indeed true I am getting off the fence and never looking back.

How is this a bad thing? Do you keep playing through the original difficulty in Diablo?

ringlord

Mifune said:
Not to be the bastard or anything, but gamerscoreblog is a Microsoft website. So take anything they say as straight PR.

Definitely true, but I remember Chris Paladino from his old dreamstation.cc podcast days and he always seemed like a decent guy. I doubt he'd put 50 hours into a game he didn't honestly enjoy, and I don't think he'd lie about putting 50 hours into a game.

Mifune

Mehmber
Stephen Totilo has some quick thoughts on the final game:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/19/game-diary-august-19-2008-the-anti-braid/

Yes, even though I gave the game only 100 minutes, I’m appreciating and enjoying it. It’s mid-August. I know the epics are coming this fall. I’m happy to play something I know will be short. It’s four days since I finished “Braid,” so I’m happy to chase down that mentally stimulating game with something that’s constant action. I consider “Too Human” to be the anti-”Braid,” a game that champions collecting and action over level design elegance and brain-teasers. The game is dessert.

It’s a good week to be a cyber-Norse hunter/gatherer/barbarian. I’m in a “Too Human” mood.

p3tran

Banned
ringlord said:
I doubt he'd put 50 hours into a game he didn't honestly enjoy, and I don't think he'd lie about putting 50 hours into a game.
in his blog you can see his gamertag. level 40 character and 790pts of achievements.

soon we will know..

fin

Yeah the EB says tomorrow, which I have a pre-order. Future Shop and another local shop say Thursday. I'm choked.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
2778774733_af7caeb3f5_b.jpg

YEEAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
caruso.jpg

So has anyone got their copy yet? Places by me won't have it till tomorrow so I won't be able to get it until tomorrow afternoon sometime.

Edit: :lol Wow post right above mine. I hate you Tetsuo!

:p

jrricky

Banned
Ive got to admit it, earlier today after seeing all those negative reviews and drama, I decided to give the game another shot to try out the other classes for the game since they were available for use now, and the berserker class made the game feel more decent. I began to 'get' the controls i guess. Once I got some cool stuff for my character and leveled up quite a bit, which I never had in the first play-through, I was gettin into the game......
and then it ends. lol

I still dont consider it a $60 buy though but a decent rental now for a couple of days to see where it all goes.

Nos_G

Just played for 4 hours as a Bezerker. I'm having lots of fun with it. Hit me up for online phat lewts hunting.

Gamertag: Nos G

FrankT

Just got the the automated call from GS. Looks like tomorrow for sure.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Damn... called a store that has it today but won't sell it till tomomrrow. Sons O' Bitches. :lol

Guess it is street dated for the 20th, but I thought my local GS manager said it wasn't today.

mm04

I used to listen to and enjoy Paladino's podcasts before he was hired by MS and I don't think he'd be forcing himself to play a game he didn't like. The guy always seemed like a straight shooter to me.

CPaladino

Xbox Community Team
Assumed PR or not, please let the record show I wouldn't spend 50 hours with a game I didn't like.

I may (or may not) be in the minority here BUT - Too Human works for me much in the way Shadowrun worked for me, or Bourne Supremacy, Commanders, Conan, or any of the other "Metacritic be damned" games out there.

I think that if you dig that obsessive "loot gathering, skill tree using" gameplay, Too Human may be for you.

PS: In my 50 hrs. I've gotten one Epic (red) helmet - level 33, which saddens me a bit because by the time I get the rest of the set I'll be level 50.

FrankT

Just saw the Xplay review they were pretty positive overall after playing it a couple of times they said. Overall storyline not perfect, but good enough to setup for a trilogy. Some issues with aiming and Diablo like boss battles. They ended up giving it a "very strong" 4 out 5.

C Jones

CPaladino said:
Assumed PR or not, please let the record show I wouldn't spend 50 hours with a game I didn't like.

I may (or may not) be in the minority here BUT - Too Human works for me much in the way Shadowrun worked for me, or Bourne Supremacy, Commanders, Conan, or any of the other "Metacritic be damned" games out there.

I think that if you dig that obsessive "loot gathering, skill tree using" gameplay, Too Human may be for you.

PS: In my 50 hrs. I've gotten one Epic (red) helmet - level 33, which saddens me a bit because by the time I get the rest of the set I'll be level 50.
Thanks for posting the impressions/tips, very appreciated.

ravien56

hmm I originally was gonna pick this game up but due to shitty reviews, im a little hesistant...I just got a question...how sexy are the loot drops when ur max level? Playing games like diablo 2 and monster hunter 2, I love getting sweet equips, but only if they look awesome

mh56 said:
hmm I originally was gonna pick this game up but due to shitty reviews, im a little hesistant...I just got a question...how sexy are the loot drops when ur max level? Playing games like diablo 2 and monster hunter 2, I love getting sweet equips, but only if they look awesome
If you played the demo and enjoyed it, you shouldn't be hesitant.

If you haven't played the demo. Play it.

Cmagus

So far I am loving this game.The armor and weapon pick ups look awesome.I just got this badass sword that looks awesome.The combat so far has been really intense I am playing the Champion class and the melee/ gun stuff is great.

Combat is really smooth and it quite easy to flow in and out of.The music and voice work is really good too Im really digging this game alot so far I have nothing to do tomorrow Im gonna try to do this game in one sitting lol.

I find alot of the stuff so far the reviews have been complaining about aren't as bad as they say so personally I would suggest give this game a shot before you just come to conclusions because it is nowhere near as bad as people are saying it's really good

CPaladino

Xbox Community Team
p3tran said:
in his blog you can see his gamertag. level 40 character and 790pts of achievements.

soon we will know..
Yeah, level 44 (I think) Cybernetic Commando (slug-based cannons), and a level 30-something Berserker.

I dig the long-ranged cannons to just mow through the minor enemies, and I use Fierce attack (LS+RS) to blow up the polarity (fire/ice/poison/etc) enemies that I can, and finally use Ruiners if I start to get surrounded (mostly during reloading).

I capped some low-rez video that I wanted to use to illustrate the tips I did in the GSB post (the red floor's glow direction, for example, illustrates how to follow the lights to see where to head next), but got busy today, so I didn't get to edit it yet.

After viewing it, it's pretty ugly footage. If there's enough interest in a tips and tricks vid. I may re-capture the footage on the HD Capture machine here in the office.

For those who care, 10 minutes of random and unedited gameplay footage (you have been warned it's random and unedited):

[Edit - video length was too long for YouTube, will post up tonight or tomorrow]

FrankT

mh56 said:

I don't know I haven't really seen in in-depth videos with loot or anything, but this pic with a defender decked out just looks sexy and reminds me so much of my old decked out warrior in WoW. Also the way it sounds from the TH guide the loot combinations are endless.

Eric WK said:

Top Bottom