• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

Heh...

I feel like half the episode didn't work as intended.

The accident and the assassin were kinda off too I'm honest.

The other half was great but I'm a bit mixed on this episode.

Is cooper back yet? Will wait on these eps unil he is back
of soynd mind that is..

ahahahahaha.

Linkin112

I'm perfectly fine with Windswept being Cooper's new theme. I've been listening to it all week since last episode and still love it.

zethren

Banned
Fuck no. Dougie is fucking amazing. I legit don't want Cooper back until the finale.

I'm loving every bit of what we've gotten so far, and Dougie is an amazing character/version of Coop (that Kyle pulls off incredibly). But I'd have to disagree, I really do hope that we get the old Coop back with at least some time to shine. However long that takes, I trust Lynch to put something amazing together. But I hope it happens sooner than the finale.

Flipyap

Except that this is the NEW Fat Trout Trailer Park, which could be anywhere. (It seems to be in or very close to Twin Peaks.)
That's complicated a bit by the presence of telephone pole #6 (though who knows, maybe the trailer park moved the same way Carl has "gone places" and it took the pole with it).
Honestly, the show always played it super loose with its geography. State lines were always fluid, Twin Peaks itself appeared to be somewhere in Eastern Western Washington State and Canada is just a place you go to for short evening hikes (and lots of drugs).

PolishQ

I just checked. Leland shows Laura the diary pages before killing her, but the one arm man does not get them. He runs away from the train car. I wonder what happened to those pages in the train car then.

In the series they find the torn out pages down the road from the train car.

However, unless they retcon something, Laura couldn't have written Annie's message in her secret diary (the one with the pages torn out) because she had already given it to Harold at that point.

If she had written it in her other diary (you know, "nervous about meeting J tonight"), then Cooper would already have seen the message in the original series. That diary didn't have any missing pages IIRC.

But there's still the possibility that Laura wrote it elsewhere, like on some scrap paper (which is kind of what it looked like Hawk found tonight).

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Holy shit this episode.

Two scenes where my eyes were wide open. You know the scenes.

Hit and Run and Murdering spree
The sound designs geez.

That waitress's laugh in the diner was edited together to have the same repeated weird sounding laugh a ton of times to sound eerie. And what the hell at that long scene with the drug dealer.

I also found it odd that Ike The Spike's target pictures were only really visible to is for a split second.. I had to rewind back to actually see who they were. And the actual murder scene was weird as fuck too, even by Lynch standards.

Fuck it though, I'm along for the ride at this point, lol

Love that they put the 2nd AD in there as a tommy gun toting henchman in the drug dealer scene, I remember him from being on set for another movie years ago.

Ashby

Oh god, please don't say things like that

We're never getting Old Coop back no matter what. If/when Coop comes back online he'll have just spent 25 years in the Black Lodge. I assume such an experience would radically change a person.

That damn Faraday, the 🐐 from LOST
Episode was all over the place, but a good all over the place
Everything is connecting
It's adding up
And up
And up
That midget assassin though , jeez
Something big is gonna happen 👀

#DianeIsFree

This episode marks the first time where I really wish the rest of the episodes were available to stream. The psychotic midget assassin, Harry Dean Stanton, Laura Dern as Diane, Fuck Gene Kelly... ARGGHHH I NEED MORE.

Reckoner

Thoughts:

- ARGH NOT ENOUGH EPISODE

- I was right about Mr. Todd hiring Lorraine to kill Dougie ("tell her she's got the job" from part 1). So now we know he works for Jeffries (or "Jeffries").

- I think I have a vague idea of what Cooper did to the case files. He kept circling the name Anthony, which is the name of his co-worker who he called a liar last week. So somehow he's indicated to his boss that there have been multiple discrepancies in Anthony's work. That's what Bushnell found "disturbing". Cooper has accidentally backed up his claim that his co-worker is crooked.

- Was that new Badalamenti music playing when the kid was hit by the car?

- Janey-E is great and I hope she sticks around for most of the story. That must have been the scene she talked about in an interview where Lynch directed her to "go out there and grab those guys by the balls!"

- I have a feeling that Carl Rodd has been given some of the material that had originally been planned for the Log Lady. That could be why Frost gave Carl some intriguing back-story in the Secret History novel.

- So many threads are about to collide: the DUGE LV plate, Dougie's ring from Major Briggs' body, the military investigator heading to South Dakota, Diane taking a look at Evil Coop, the Great Northern key in the mail, the small assassin about to target Cooper... next week could be big.

Except that this is the NEW Fat Trout Trailer Park, which could be anywhere. (It seems to be in or very close to Twin Peaks.)

If there's one thing we can accept so far from this season is... next week we will still be thirsty big time man. One episode a week just doesn't cut it.

hydruxo

If there's one thing we can accept so far from this season is... next week we will still be thirsty big time man. One episode a week just doesn't cut it.

They spoiled the hell out of us with the 4 pts dropping on the premiere

I wouldn't have it any other way though. An entire summer of Twin Peaks, I love it.

nded

We're never getting Old Coop back no matter what. If/when Coop comes back online he'll have just spent 25 years in the Black Lodge. I assume such an experience would radically change a person.

I dunno. The few times we see a non-addled Coop he doesn't seem especially distressed or anything. He listens and responds to ??????? and Laura in a calm manner, gets up off the Red Room chair briskly but casually upon being told he can leave and reacts with appropriate curiosity, confusion and surprise at the things that happen in the Purple Room.

Kemal86

This was my favorite episode. I thought last week was super plodding, even by the standards of this season, but this week made up for it. Next week looks incredibly promising.

gforguava

That waitress's laugh in the diner was edited together to have the same repeated weird sounding laugh a ton of times to sound eerie.
She was also in the original run of the show, she appeared in the first episode with her distinctive laugh and then was missing from the rest of the show until Lynch brought her back for the finale.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Great episode. Lots of funny moments: Albert's fuck you to Gene Kelly, Heidi's laugh, the boss at the insurance company telling Cooper to keep it between them, Janey-E's tirade on Jeremy Davies and the other dude, the hitman being sad that his pick got bent, the fucking dime flip (and the whole scene with that guy), so on. We finally got to see Diane too, which is awesome too.

Knew the kid was going to get hit, but man that was awful. The hitman killing those people was pretty brutal too. Fuck Chad, also. Guy's a giant piece of shit. I'm glad we got some context as to why the sheriff's wife acts like this, made me more sympathetic. Really want to know what Hawk found in the bathroom. That music made me feel like something bad was going to happen, so I was kind of relieved when it was just that.

Like PolishQ mentioned a bit above, lots of converging threads storywise, particularly in relation to all these people who are going to be looking for Dougie. Could be in for some wild stuff soon.

Bears reiterating: Naomi Watts killed this episode. That scene with the two guys was just so great especially.

The Dougie stuff is holding up the best upon rewatch.

It's the best parts, a bit of mystery with how he's seeing things, a lot of comedy, family values humour, naomi watts milf mode.

The rest of the show outside of that and doppelganger coop and lodge scenes is pretty weakish for me.

That stabbing scene was extremely ultra violent and I think that's going to juxtapose in a comedic sense with how easy Dougie deals with him next.

Vic_Viper

Cant stand how Dougie Coop is still out of it. I swear after he got his coffee the first time he was going to be back but its been atleast 2 episodes since and still no sine of him ever coming back. Kinda dissapointed it been this long already.

Think about it this way, we're a third of the way through this whole thing and we still haven't gotten to see one of the characters that made this show worth watching.

The MGS2 treatment continues except we haven't even gotten the damn tanker missions yet.

gun_haver

Another good 'episode' for the most part, but I still don't feel like I know exactly how much I am gonna like it until I see the entire thing. I definitely enjoy the various bits and pieces, some more than others (the drug dealer scene was boring to me, felt like something I'd seen many times before down to the coin stuff), but the main feelings I have about the show so far are curiosity and amusement.

There were some scenes with Dougie that I thought were a bit repetitive. If I had more episodes to watch afterwards, I wouldn't mind, because it is genuinely funny and cute stuff, but I was itching to get to new stuff.

This really is something that is gonna be waaaaay better to watch at your own, much faster, pace, rather than 1 hour a week, I think. It's kind of funny that this show, which is possibly the least episodic TV show I've ever seen including things like The Wire, is coming out weekly while so many other things which really could stand to be aired one ep a week come out all at once now.

Tagyhag

I actually laughed at the
hit and run
scene because while it was obviously coming, I didn't seriously think they'd show it. The balls on them.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Another good 'episode' for the most part, but I still don't feel like I know exactly how much I am gonna like it until I see the entire thing. I definitely enjoy the various bits and pieces, some more than others (the drug dealer scene was boring to me, felt like something I'd seen many times before down to the coin stuff), but the main feelings I have about the show so far are curiosity and amusement.

There were some scenes with Dougie that I thought were a bit repetitive. If I had more episodes to watch afterwards, I wouldn't mind, because it is genuinely funny and cute stuff, but I was itching to get to new stuff.

This really is something that is gonna be waaaaay better to watch at your own, much faster, pace, rather than 1 hour a week, I think. It's kind of funny that this show, which is possibly the least episodic TV show I've ever seen including things like The Wire, is coming out weekly while so many other things which really could stand to be aired one ep a week come out all at once now.

maybe the release schedule is part of the whole experience by design.

as an aside, it does let us digest each episode by itself, so each episode feels more special to me. rather than taking it as a whole 18 hour movie.

gun_haver

maybe the release schedule is part of the whole experience.

eh, it's impossible to say anything definitive about that. part of me likes the drawn out aspect, letting it marinate and all of that and then returning to it, and part of me thinks nothing would be lost if i watched it all over the course of a week. basically i don't care except it is cool that this is gonna be an active thing until september.

Chumley

Banned
I'm getting incredibly frustrated by the Dougie plot. He's clearly behaving like someone severely mentally impaired from a stroke and Naomi Watts keeps talking to him like he's not. Send him to a fucking hospital already.

sappyday

I thought the one arm man, in the red room, told Dougie Coop that the other Cooper had to die for him to be whole again.

I think he said just that the doppelganger needs to be back in the lodge in order for Coop to be whole again. So I think Evil Coop is gonna somehow slip back into the lodge by accident or force and this will trigger Coop to wake up.

I'm getting incredibly frustrated by the Dougie plot. He's clearly behaving like someone severely mentally impaired from a stroke and Naomi Watts keeps talking to him like he's not. Send him to a fucking hospital already.

What exactly are they going to do for him?

"Well sir it appears you have doppelganger syndrome. We need to get you and your other half into a steel cage deathmatch pronto in order to regain the full vitality of your eternal soul".

hydruxo

Well she was going to take him to the doctor but ended up having to give the money to those dudes Dougie owed money to.

Chumley

Banned

"Well sir it appears you have doppelganger syndrome. We need to get you and your other half into a steel cage deathmatch pronto in order to regain the full vitality of your eternal soul".

It's not that, it's that no one is acting like an actual person would. His boss shouldn't even be letting him work, his mind is gone.

I get what he's saying though, he's clearly not acting normal and other characters notice just kind of go on like it's not a big deal.

I don't have a problem with it myself, but it's something I do think about while watching. It doesn't really make sense.

It's not that, it's that no one is acting like an actual person would. His boss shouldn't even be letting him work, his mind is gone.

Yeah I get that, well like hydruxo said at least she mentioned plans to take him to a doctor, and now it seems like his boss has to keep him around due to the connections he unwittingly made in the case files. The whole "let's keep this between us" deal. I'm guessing that was related to Sizemore's character? Or maybe a departmental-wide fraud situation.

I get what he's saying though, he's clearly not acting normal and other characters notice just kind of go on like it's not a big deal.

I don't have a problem with it myself, but it's something I do think about while watching. It doesn't really make sense.

It doesn't but we're at the point its happened enough and gone on long enough that that's just the logic of Droolcoop's interactions with others, whether its all for the hilarity of absurdism or pointing to some larger meta reality he has to conquer to reclaim himself is yet to be seen, though what with certain props like the Great Northern key being found by Jade I'm inclined to think its more literal. Then again that quote on the back "clean place reasonably priced" gives me pause.

Chumley

Banned
Yeah I get that, well like hydruxo said at least she mentioned plans to take him to a doctor, and now it seems like his boss has to keep him around due to the connections he unwittingly made in the case files. The whole "let's keep this between us" deal. I'm guessing that was related to Sizemore's character? Or maybe a departmental-wide fraud situation.

It doesn't but we're at the point its happened enough and gone on long enough that that's just the logic of Droolcoop's interactions with others, whether its all for the hilarity of absurdism or pointing to some larger meta reality he has to conquer to reclaim himself is yet to be seen, though what with certain props like the Great Northern key being found by Jade I'm inclined to think its more literal. Then again that quote on the back "clean place reasonably priced" gives me pause.

Maybe. The stuff with his boss seems slightly more plausible than his wife taking this long to mention a doctor visit, since the boss seems to see an asset in his new mental condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom