• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft seeks to replicate the success of Ghost of Tsushima in Japan with Assassin's Creed Shadows

Draugoth

Gold Member
ubisoft-busca-replicar-o-sucesso-de-ghost-of-tsushima-no-japao-com-assassin-s-creed-shadows-112091.webp

The next release to be set in Japan is Assassin's Creed Shadows. With this in mind, Shadows' head producer, Karl Onnée, says he is looking to replicate the success of Ghost of Tsushima in Japan with Assassin's Creed Shadows with an authentic product.

It's important from an artistic perspective, but also from a commercial one, too. Assassin's Creed Shadows is an opportunity for Ubisoft to grow the series in Japan. It's unusual for Western-developed action games to sell in large quantities in Japan, but it does happen, and one notable example is Sony's Ghost of Tsushima, which is also a historical action-adventure game set in Japan and developed in the West (by US studio Sucker Punch). That game went on to sell over a million copies in the country, and Ubisoft will be looking at that as an indicator of what's possible here. All of this means it's vital Shadows is as authentic as possible.

"Obviously when we make a game, we are trying to appeal to a global audience,"
- Onnée tells us.

"Since we are making a game in Japan, we do hope to appeal to more Japanese players. So, it is very important that we try to be as authentic as possible. We come from a humble position of we don't know anything and we need to learn everything from scratch. We are making sure we respect things, because that is something very important to Japanese people, as it is in many other countries. When you come in, you don't want to come in as if you know everything. We want to build something that when they see and play it, they will recognise their own country."

Source

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Isn't that cute

lol isn't Ghost Of Tsushima filled with inaccuracies though?

Shadows might end up having the more authentic world by default of actually being in a period where those ideas are even existing in, in Ghost, lots of shit they just added even though in 1274, some of those things didn't even exist.

Its like Sucker Punch wanted to make a game about a bunch of concepts that didn't exits yet, but also realllllly wanted to do one about the Mongol invasion lol

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I’m sure it’ll do well, but I bet it sells less than Odyssey. AC is a bigger brand than GOT, but the comparisons to it will be inevitable and it’ll just be seen as a lesser version of GOT.

Funny thing is, they would have had a better shot at outselling GOT by not using Japan in that time period. Something like middle ages Europe or Ancient Rome would have worked better.

Saber

Lol ghost is filled with Tons of historical inaccuracies way more than Assassin's creed shadows and you don't seems to complain about that

Didn't know the AC Shadows released already. How did Yasuke go? Did he ended up being an overlord taking away his lord mantle and saving all black people or something, like in the historical documents?

Not in japan, but i do think it will end up selling more

Not in Japan. Some people are forgeting we're talking about Japan here.

Last edited:
Didn't know the AC Shadows released already. How did Yasuke go? Did he ended up being an overlord taking away his lord mantle and saving all black people or something, like in the historical documents?
Lol do you even know anything about Japan history stop being racist samurai weapons are not even from ghost of tsuima period, ghost is not athenthic Assassin's creed shadows is

Saber

Lol do you even know anything about Japan history stop being racist samurai weapons are not even from ghost of tsuima period, ghost is not athenthic Assassin's creed shadows is

Enligthen me how autentic Ass creed is with Japan in comparison with GoT, since it seems you already played. Also drop the racist accusation, got no time for dumb comments like that.

Last edited:
Lol ghost is filled with Tons of historical inaccuracies way more than Assassin's creed shadows and you don't seems to complain about that
Who cares? It only matters how the Japanese perceive the game and its portrayal of their history and culture. If they think it is unflattering or inaccurate, they probably won't buy it.

Seeing how GoT was praised by locals, and how much criticism AC Shadows got, it doesn't look good for them.

So it was a game made just to leech off Tsushima, go it...
I have no idea who goes for either for historical accuracy. The people who bring it up are so annoyingly dishonest.

Is just to "prove" why Mr Black shouldn't be in AC Shadow. Some were bringing up the female Ninja too, while Tsushima has a female Samurai.

Seriously, what was the last accurate Samurai game?
There's a reason why historically accurate games rarely get made. Shit is arguably boring.

DryvBy

Well they based it off of Japanese culture with the vibes of Japanese early samurai epic films. Ubisoft based Assassins Creed off of some blue haired wokism and pseudo-history to hit some check boxes.

So good luck with that. Want to make the most profits? Fire anyone that thinks Marx was intelligent. That'll help you take out the trash.

Saber

Is just to "prove" why Mr Black shouldn't be in AC Shadow. Some were bringing up the female Ninja too, while Tsushima has a female Samurai.

Might ask you who is this female samurai on GoT? Because I can't remember.
Also I don't remember people having problem with the female kunoichi, she is actually more fitting for the role than the main character.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Compared to Assassin's Creed Shadows it's like going back in time and watching Samurai kill each other yourself.
Based on what? lol

In Ghost, you have weapons that didn't exist, you have an entire code of Samurai that wasn't actually a thing in 1200s and the actual map itself wasn't a series of islands based on the team wanting an easier path to creating the landscape

Neither are historical lessons, but its likely when the dust settles, Shadows may have made the more authentic world as the time frame they are in, has samurai, bombs, bushido code etc

I say this as someone who owns Ghost Day 1 and will buy Shadows day 1. I brought up some of this same stuff years ago when Ghost first released.
I’m sure it’ll do well, but I bet it sells less than Odyssey. AC is a bigger brand than GOT, but the comparisons to it will be inevitable and it’ll just be seen as a lesser version of GOT.

Funny thing is, they would have had a better shot at outselling GOT by not using Japan in that time period. Something like middle ages Europe or Ancient Rome would have worked better.

Its hard to tell tbh. I think it might outsell Odyssey in Japan, but i have no clue what that did there lol

Shadows debuted at number 1 for pre-orders in Japan on Amazon JP

So I'm not sure how it might do in comparison to their last AC, but I think it might end up the default best selling AC in Japan based on being about Japan.
This.

Its almost as if the knee jerk reaction is to leap to the "DERRR ITS UBISOFT DOE" , but its like....if someone actually really looks at Ghost, its filled with a lot of shit that doesn't exist during that time. I'm sure Sucker Punch loves the Edo Period, but their game is about a completely different period, with ideals, weapons, armor etc of another. I recall letting a lot of that go as the game doesn't really make any claims of being some history type thing, it was their first game in that IP and I'm more so willing to let a lot of that slide.

but for anyone to try to act as if cause they dislike Ubisoft, Ghost Of Tsushima is some top tier for historical accuracy is hilarious

Didn't they refute the fact that yasuke was made up by some random foreigner?
? lol what? lol Just stop man. Please stop just taking shit from Twitter as if its fact.

What is being debated is what he did in Japan, not his existence, if anyone is questioning his existence at all, shit your issue may be with Japan itself and not Ubisoft or something, as they are the ones who even told us about this guy, Japan is the one telling us he is a Samurai and it is their media, books, anime, games, manga, documentaries etc that even say he is this.

So if anyone is questioning something like this, ask Japan about this please, if you are offended or something, ask JAPAN why they've stated this about this person, the fucking author of the book that even made a lot of this famous wasn't even fucking born when Japan was first talking about this and making books about this dude.

sach-kuro-sake-viet-ve-samurai-yasuke.jpg

Might ask you who is this female samurai on GoT? Because I can't remember.
Also I don't remember people having problem with the female kunoichi, she is actually more fitting for the role than the main character.
lol sir, all that means is they didn't make a big deal out of it, it doesn't really help that this was a rare thing during those times

They are likely talking about Lady Masako Adachi.

masako-feature-image.jpg

Perrott

It may be, but Sucker Punch poured a lot of heart into their game and that's what Japanese audience noticed and appreciated about Ghost of Tsushima.

Ubisoft on the other hand seem like they're only chasing the dollars of a fanbase who've been requesting this setting for what feels like 15 years now, and that shows in the product they've crafted.

Aion002

Gold Member

Shadows might end up having the more authentic world by default of actually being in a period where those ideas are even existing in, in Ghost, lots of shit they just added even though in 1274, some of those things didn't even exist.

Its like Sucker Punch wanted to make a game about a bunch of concepts that didn't exits yet, but also realllllly wanted to do one about the Mongol invasion lol
Yes, for example: The samurai swords in Ghost of Tsushima were created during the 13th century and improved in 14th century, while the Mongol invasions happened by the end of the 12th century, the Japanese swords were "upgraded" during the 13th century precisely because they proved to be hard to use against the Mongolian armours.

About Shadows being more authentic... I doubt it... Nobunaga did a lot of terrible stuff, no way Ubi will make Yasuke agree with all that on their game.

They will either make Nobunaga a good guy or make Yasuke fight him, which in both cases will be a huge middle finger to Japanese history.

Top Bottom