• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

milanbaros

Member?
The overarching point is that if people were less cuntish and didn't jump into marriage too early without being properly committed and ready, we would have less broken families. Sleeping around and getting up the duff is not advisable either. People need to chill the fuck out and be a bit more sensible.

My parents have had rows and fallings out over the years that would probably have destroyed a lot of these flaky relationships but they stuck at it and are all the better for it.

Having children without having the necessary finances in place is also inadvisable.

People in the past married younger and I'd bet sooner in a relationship than they do today. I agree with your comments above but they have nothing to say about 'moral decline'. A lot of children have avoided growing up in hellish homes because their parents were wise enough to seperate. Its great your parents stuck at it and were all the better for it but that is your indiviual experience and most certainly not the case in many homes. Your argument cannot be my parents did it so other people should to. Some people have always slept around and got 'up the duff'. There is a reason why abortions have been taking place in every culture and time period in history. Again, I agree about the necessary finances but if anything we are better at this now than ever. People wait longer to have children. If you were to set a standard of 'necessary finances' most people would have never been born. Mothers take help from the state because we as a society do not want children to grow up in the sort of deprevation that most of the world's children do. In the past many many children died because of poor diet and lack of hygiene. The situation we have today is objectively better.

You have a warped view on history.

People in the past married younger and I'd bet sooner in a relationship than they do today. I agree with your comments above but they have nothing to say about 'moral decline'. A lot of children have avoided growing up in hellish homes because their parents were wise enough to seperate. Its great your parents stuck at it and were all the better for it but that is your indiviual experience and most certainly not the case in many homes. Your argument cannot be my parents did it so other people should to. Some people have always slept around and got 'up the duff'. There is a reason why abortions have been taking place in every culture and time period in history. Again, I agree about the necessary finances but if anything we are better at this now than ever. People wait longer to have children. If you were to set a standard of 'necessary finances' most people would have never been born. Mothers take help from the state because we as a society do not want children to grow up in the sort of deprevation that most of the world's children do. In the past many many children died because of poor diet and lack of hygiene. The situation we have today is objectively better.

You have a warped view on history.

Everything was better in the old days, cunts didn't exist.

Meadows

Banned
lol, Morgan incriminated himself in his own autobiography

Also, he just incriminated himself again by saying he employed people to search through rubbish tips, which the lawyer said was illegal, and advised Morgan to seek legal advise.

Manchester Uni? York Uni? Both are internationally recognised as being top class?

South West is also close to Oxford. York is doesn't have the international recognition. In the North the best universities are Durham and Manchester, but they are pretty far apart. In the SW Bristol and Cardiff are right next to each other, Oxford is pretty close and London isn't too far (M4 all the way) so they would be able to recruit fro Bristol, Cardiff, Oxford, UCL and Imperial, all of which are recognised as world class universities.

I dunno really, Taiwan and China are so different in terms of their job market that my Taiwanese perspective isn't really useful. I had a mate that did a 3 month internship for some CAD firm in Shanghai and he seemed to like it, and it seems like that neck of the woods is probably where the world's power and money is moving to.

One thing to watch out for is the importance of 'face' and 'prestige' which basically means that people act in a really odd way to seem respectable, including buying Scotch Whiskey and Gucci bags. (I find it funny that Scotland thinks they can rely on Scotch exports as a long-term thing, the people in China/Taiwan never drink it, it's an ornament, so people only need one).

Also, you're not white are you? Expect people to be confused as to how you can be British and not be white.

Yeah, I get the brown but English confusion all the time, but they (and I) kind of get used to it. Didn't know that about Whiskey, I'll have to take a bottle of Blue Label with me and never drink it!

I'm in the Chinese mainland, albeit a smaller City in the north which I'd imagine is somewhat of a different experience to Shanghai, but i could still answer questions if you have them.

For my part, I'd definitely don't have any regrets coming over here, I really like it, though my situation is less permanent than yours.

Where are you in China? I travelled there a couple of years ago when I was on a sabbatical from the bank. It was awesome, but Shanghai is really more like Beijing or really more like HK or Seoul. So awesome!

you don't want to live in china they have squat toilets.

Not where I was. Bogs were bog standard...

do it. the experience alone would put you on top of the pile. and dat unfirewalled internet!!

Yeah, I was thinking that as well, working in a foreign country is always awesome but I think China adds extra excitement. I don't think I could live with firewalled internet. Would suck so much ass!

I'd go to China, this country has gone to shit.

It's not so bad, I kind of like it here. D:

Well we have the Royal flotilla to look forward to next year, so i wouldn't leave just yet.

I would have to come back just for that! <3 Kate...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What I wouldn't give for that room to first be inescapable and second to just start filling with water.

Meadows

Banned
South West is also close to Oxford. York is doesn't have the international recognition. In the North the best universities are Durham and Manchester, but they are pretty far apart. In the SW Bristol and Cardiff are right next to each other, Oxford is pretty close and London isn't too far (M4 all the way) so they would be able to recruit fro Bristol, Cardiff, Oxford, UCL and Imperial, all of which are recognised as world class universities.

Like it or not, people/businesses in China/Taiwan put MASSIVE, amounts of credit into global University rankings.

Durham, Leeds, Manchester and York are all in the top global 100 and therefore DO have world class status, whereas, Cardiff as you say is globally renowned, isn't.

Now I understand that this is a stupid way of deciding investments/life choices but it's the way they do it.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
lol, Morgan incriminated himself in his own autobiography

Also, he just incriminated himself again by saying he employed people to search through rubbish tips, which the lawyer said was illegal, and advised Morgan to seek legal advise.

:lol

What a twunt.

Walshicus

Just managed to switch in; "it doesn't necessarily follow that listening to a tape of someone speaking to someone else "

"You're presuming it's unethical".

EDIT: wow. That bit at 16:16 is amazing.

Like it or not, people/businesses in China/Taiwan put MASSIVE, amounts of credit into global University rankings.

Durham, Leeds, Manchester and York are all in the top global 100 and therefore DO have world class status, whereas, Cardiff as you say is globally renowned, isn't.

Now I understand that this is a stupid way of deciding investments/life choices but it's the way they do it.

A lot is to do with History as well. We could sell them Durham and Manchester, but they scoffed at the other two. Sad but true. Also, the travel links between Manchester and Durham are limited so being in the middle is not really possible so they would have to locate close to one or the other, and they are pretty far apart, the enterprise zone is also not conveniently located which is another (small) downside. Believe me, we tried hard to sell them the north, but they just weren't having it, as soon as we mentioned Bristol and proximity to Oxford they were pretty much sold and we got them away from their original premise of Cambridge.

Bristol and Cardiff are old. Oxford is super old and near (within an hour drive) the chosen site and London is also pretty close so they can recruit graduates from Imperial and UCL. The location is also within reach of the Midlands which opens up a larger recruitment network. That's really what they care about. Recruiting the best people and the SW gives them a better network.

Meadows

Banned
A lot is to do with History as well. We could sell them Durham and Manchester, but they scoffed at the other two. Sad but true. Also, the travel links between Manchester and Durham are limited so being in the middle is not really possible so they would have to locate close to one or the other, and they are pretty far apart, the enterprise zone is also not conveniently located which is another (small) downside. Believe me, we tried hard to sell them the north, but they just weren't having it, as soon as we mentioned Bristol and proximity to Oxford they were pretty much sold and we got them away from their original premise of Cambridge.

Bristol and Cardiff are old. Oxford is super old and near (within an hour drive) the chosen site and London is also pretty close so they can recruit graduates from Imperial and UCL. The location is also within reach of the Midlands which opens up a larger recruitment network. That's really what they care about. Recruiting the best people and the SW gives them a better network.

Fucking Chinese/Taiwanese are fucking obsessed with Oxford/Cambridge. Jesus, I can't believe a multi-national are so fucking dumb to go near them just for the sheer prestige/face. I GUARANTEE you that a large chunk of the reason they did it there was so that they could tell their son/daughter in-law's family that they had a factory/office near one of the cities.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
fair point

UOdwa.png

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Fucking Chinese/Taiwanese are fucking obsessed with Oxford/Cambridge. Jesus, I can't believe a multi-national are so fucking dumb to go near them just for the sheer prestige/face. I GUARANTEE you that a large chunk of the reason they did it there was so that they could tell their son/daughter in-law's family that they had a factory/office near one of the cities.

Reputation matters. Maybe it's a shame but there it is. And York is nowhere in the international reputation stakes, regardless of where it sits in some league table. Nothing against York as a uni, my brother went there and it seemed pretty good.

But, by way of comparison, consider how many universities you would recognise in China - or France, Germany, Italy - even the USA. May one or two in each country - perhaps a handful in the USA maybe?

The Chinese are no better and no worse than we are at recognising quality/regional differences/cities/universities in each others' countries. That's no cause to rail at them for where they choose to put investment. Maybe we should be thankful we live somewhere that is (a) attracting investment and (b) small anough to move around fairly easily.

Meadows

Banned
Reputation matters. Maybe it's a shame but there it is. And York is nowhere in the international reputation stakes, regardless of where it sits in some league table. Nothing against York as a uni, my brother went there and it seemed pretty good.

I don't really know that you know that, with the greatest of respect, although to an extent the evidence for both of our arguments is anecdotal at best. I think you underestimate the importance that people in China
/Taiwan
put on the tables. It really, really does matter to them, which I think is ridiculous as well, but these are the countries in which putting chopsticks in a full rice bowl is monumentally insulting because it looks like incense that someone would use for a funeral.

But, by way of comparison, consider how many universities you would recognise in China - or France, Germany, Italy - even the USA. May one or two in each country - perhaps a handful in the USA maybe?

Rather a lot personally, but again, that could just be me.

The Chinese are no better and no worse than we are at recognising quality/regional differences/cities/universities in each others' countries. That's no cause to rail at them for where they choose to put investment. Maybe we should be thankful we live somewhere that is (a) attracting investment and (b) small anough to move around fairly easily.

This is where I think you're wrong (again, with the greatest of respect). As you said before, reputation and prestige matters, but in Chinese
/Taiwanese
society it's the main factor in decisions like this. The quality of the Cognac a business will offer its clients at a dinner, the type of car that chauffeurs them to the airport. These are the important things to business leaders in China
/Taiwan

The fact that most businesses in the UK don't really understand these things is one of the reasons why our trade deficit with China is so big.

I don't know if you know much about Chinese/Taiwanese culture, I'm an expert etc

Chinner

Banned
if zomb moves country he can make a china thread because im not letting him post USEFUL AND INFORMATIVE POSTS in this thread anymore

Meadows

Banned
Oh, and before someone says that I've never been to China and can't comment, don't believe the Taiwanese, China and Taiwan's culture and society is almost wholly identical. There are a few differences, sure, but b/y/ e/n/l/a/r/ge they're an identical, Han culture.

sohois

Where are you in China? I travelled there a couple of years ago when I was on a sabbatical from the bank. It was awesome, but Shanghai is really more like Beijing or really more like HK or Seoul. So awesome!

I'm in Daqing, a city right up in the north of the country, past Harbin. It's an oil city and has been growing rapidly in the past few years but apparently the oil is soon to run out so maybe the economy of the city will be screwed after that.

And just so you know, the great firewall isn't too much of a pain, it's not too difficult to get around it and even then i don't notice it too much.

Meadows

Banned
There's some Tory MP called Peter Bone who keeps asking Cameron/Clegg who would succeed Cameron if he was killed. He comes across as a bit of a nutter and is being petty as fuck, saying that Clegg shouldn't take control because he's in charge of a "party less popular than UKIP".

Clearly Clegg's not going to get in power if Cameron dies and then immediately scrap tuition fees, join the Euro and scrap Trident, he'd just call an election in a few months.

The best person is arguably Bercow IMO, he could preside over the position until an election could be called. If we followed the USA's model it would go something like this:

President/Prime Minister (Cameron)
Vice President/Deputy PM (Clegg)
Speaker of the House (Bercow)
Senate Speaker/Speaker of the Lords (Frances D'Souza)
Secretary of State/Foreign Minister (Hague)
Secretary of the Treasury/Chancellor (Osbourne)
Defence Secretary (Hammond)

PJV3

I'm pretty sure the tories would elect a new leader and that would be that, Clegg would lead the cabinet while that happens with Osborne calling the shots on behalf of the tories. I don't understand why Bone thinks it's an issue, Clegg isn't going to stage a coup.

Empty

I'm pretty sure the tories would elect a new leader and that would be that, Clegg would lead the cabinet while that happens with Osborne calling the shots on behalf of the tories. I don't understand why Bone thinks it's an issue, Clegg isn't going to stage a coup.

nor does it particularly matter in a parliamentary system when mp's can vote no confidence and vote down legislation the pm proposes if need be.

he's just playing to the tory right telegraph-mail crowd who genuinely believe that the lib dems are dictating all policy in this government.

PJV3

nor does it particularly matter in a parliamentary system when mp's can vote no confidence and vote down legislation the pm proposes if need be.

he's just playing to the tory right telegraph-mail crowd who genuinely believe that the lib dems are dictating all policy in this government.

I keep forgetting we are dealing with the christmas is banned crowd, they live in a different world and i should just accept that.

daviyoung

Banned
There's some Tory MP called Peter Bone who keeps asking Cameron/Clegg who would succeed Cameron if he was killed. He comes across as a bit of a nutter and is being petty as fuck, saying that Clegg shouldn't take control because he's in charge of a "party less popular than UKIP".

Clegg shouldn't take control for more reasons than just being leader of a crappy party.

Because he is a cock. Peter Bone is the same dude that said Fox had to resign because he was "in the right" on Newsnight, don't expect sensible statements to come from this bellend.

kharma45

IMO, the very first time you get behind the wheel of a car, it should be with a qualified instructor, even if it's only once, in order to have the basics completely understood.

I think it's better to do what I did when I was learning and not go near a public road at all, and learn the basics (if you can that is) on an area of private property with no traffic at all, be that with a relative or an instructor.

She should never have been on a public road that early imo.

whats this about our credit rating being affected because of the eurozone crisis? and why are our banks on a danger watch if the eurozone collapses? i thought we had limited our exposure?

Top Bottom