• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Dambrosi

Banned
Thanks Phisheep, always good to get a proper legal perspective on these things.

Oh, and to quote Theresa May today in the House of Commons:

"The government is clear that Abu Qatada has no right to refer the case to the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights, since the three-month deadline to do so lapsed at midnight on Monday."

...really? Doesn't she think the ECHR has the authority to set and enforce its own deadlines now? If she does, then who is granting the "right" here - the court, or the prosecution?

More to the point, does she - and the pack of baying Little Englanders nipping at her feet - really think that the ECHR "has it in" for Britain, for whatever bullshit reason? Bunch of paranoid lunatics.

As usual, May has it ass-backwards. I hope she sees the light and retreats from this quickly, but I know she'll get that wrong, too.

EDIT: And, true to form, Alan Johnson just appeared on BBC News and said that this could be "a resigning matter" for May. Not right now, I think, but it will be if Qatada gets bail again because of it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
No. Therein lies a complete misconception. The ECHR has done a great deal over the years to protect the rights of UK citizens amongst others.

And it isn't as if in this case it found for Abu Qatada either - he lost. That's why he is appealing the judgment. That doesn't sound to me like the ECHR got it wrong.

Chances are he will lose on appeal as well, which is a good thing, because it sets a Grand Chamber precedent for future cases.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Bingo. People are butthurt because the law gives equal rights to everyone which is what a law is supposed to do. Nothing new here.

I want Qatada out the country as much as the next man, but because he was legally extradited, not because a bunch of Tory/UKIP mouthbreathers are incensed.

Walshicus

As to your final point, do you really want politicians ignoring the courts, or Cameron deciding on a whim what protections we have.
I might be more sensitive because i grew up in the era of the IRA and all the miscarriages of justice, people being dismissed as terrorists and locked up.

Exactly. The state is fallible - often so. The Westminster government is subjected to populist demands and ideology which can at times blind it to justice. The domestic legal structure and the level of separation it has from the exec/legislative is one method of combating this. Having a higher, non-domestic court as the final layer of justice is another.

Where you see a foreign court protecting terrorists, the truth is that it is a system which has been extremely beneficial to the *people* of our countries, if not the governments.

I'd trust the ECHR to protect my rights infinitely more than I would David Macaroon.

Dambrosi

Banned
God, I love The Thick Of It. I'm gonna have to buy the DVD box set someday.

So, Newsnight are having a discussion at the mo about whether the Tory Far Right are causing the Coalition to autofail by default. What say y'all?

Right now, the ECHR doesn't protect the rights, human or otherwise, of UK citizens, just the rights of international criminals and terrorists. Therein lies the problem.

It protects UK citizens unless the US wants them... in which case we bend over backwards, kiss the ringpiece of the President and send them right on over.

If we pull out of the ECHR we need our own bill of Human Rights and it needs to be meaningful. I don't trust our politicians to protect them otherwise.

Dambrosi

Banned
Do you trust the current generation of British politicians to draw up a UK Bill Of Rights that would treat all the people equally, no matter their politics, race, creed or colour, and also truly protect those who need it most?

Because I sure as fuck don't. Your example of our almost sado-masochistic relationship with the USA is perfect.

Better the historically reasonable and fair European institution I know, thank you very much.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
The biggest problem by far with a UK Bill of Rights is that it would have no greater status than any other Act or Parliament. Further Acts could quite happily derogate from it, ignore it, be non-compliant with it, exclude it and so on. Future Governments could repeal it, amend it, complicate it and otherwise destroy its effectiveness.

No matter how well it is drawn up initially, it would always be vulnerable to interference from governments that want their own way on some particular issue and as a result the protections offered by the Bill would suffer death by a thousand cuts.

Besides, I don't think I would trust a government of any political flavour - and certainly not one advised by paranoid trigger-happy Civil Servants who apparently believe that safety is paramount and that we'd all be better off if we were locked up 24x7 - to get it right in the first place.

I'd have no problem with a Bill that granted additional rights to subjects/citizens, or to certain classes of subjects/citizens. That might be welcome. But it won't happen.

Sure, there are problems at the ECHR. But they are mostly the same problems that any court system has - excessive demand, slowness and prevention of abuse. That's about the process, not the principle.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Andrew Lansley backs lower pay for NHS staff in poorer areas
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/apr/22/andrew-lansley-pay-nhs-staff

Is Lansley insane? Is he playing a game of "what can I get away with next...?". Perhaps he's been taken over by some form of brain parasite that wants our health system crippled before it begins its slimy bid for world dominance. Really his reptilian eyes are screaming out for us all to stop him somehow.

PJV3

Is Lansley insane? Is he playing a game of "what can I get away with next...?". Perhaps he's been taken over by some form of brain parasite that wants our health system crippled before it begins its slimy bid for world dominance. Really his reptilian eyes are screaming out for us all to stop him somehow.

CHEEZMO™;37165856 said:
He really is a proper twunt.

"the only exemption backed by the Department of Health would be for highly paid managers working in new bodies established to deliver Lansley's controversial NHS reform programme"

He is a slimy little shit.

However i doubt this will happen, Cameron and the LibDem's must want the NHS to stop being a story.

They should just pay nurses outside of London with vouchers for Netto and setup a government initiative to provide 10% off Stella Artois at Wetherspoons nationwide, what else do they need to spend the money on? I hear the average house price North of Watford is £35.25 and a blow job round the back of Halfords anyway!!

Obviously, high level managers should be still paid the same because the invisible hand of the free market sets their wages.

PJV3

They should just pay nurses outside of London with vouchers for Netto and setup a government initiative to provide 10% off Stella Artois at Wetherspoons nationwide, what else do they need to spend the money on? I hear the average house price North of Watford is £35.25 and a blow job round the back of Halfords anyway!!

Obviously, high level managers should be still paid the same because the invisible hand of the free market sets their wages.

What the hell do people up north need a Halfords for?, is it a whippet and pigeon emporium?.

What annoys me is that lack of wealth is proportional to the number of hospital intakes and the seriousness of some conditions. For example, poorer people are much more likely to smoke, eat high fat/high salt foods etc in comparison to people who can afford to do other things. Subsequently there is a strain on the staff in such areas. These areas also tend to require more home visit staff and carers than the typical affluent area.

Paying people less who have to deal with a lot more dodgy cases doesn't seem fair at all.

I have nothing but respect for NHS workers. All we seem to hear in the news is the odd failing or dodgy case that is blown up to make it look like the entire system is failing and the staff are useless.

The same is true for teachers. In poorer areas we have to deal with a lot more disabilities, broken families, EAL (English as an additional Language) - particularly in poorer areas of London, the South East and areas in the country located close to an airport, general health issues such as obesity as well as having to put on a lot of extra-curricular activities at school (for no extra pay whatsoever) just to give these kids a fighting chance.

I am growing weary of the attacks on public sector workers. We have been underpaid for a long time (with the exception of managers), had our pay frozen (and are looking likely to have it done for another 2 years), continually mugged off by our representative secretary of state etc.

They are cracking the whip, changing the systems continually and playing populist ideas around without truly understanding what goes on at the front lines. For all our efforts we have had the only true perk of the job attacked and changed (pensions) and are worse off overall. Sure, we all need to pull together for the sake of the economy, but you can go about it in a fairer, more considerate way.

Argh. Depressing times really.

If I didn't get those little flashes of brilliance from the children every single day, I'd pack my job in in a heartbeat. I put in so much time and effort just to be shat upon from a great height.

nib95

Banned
If anything, the NHS staff in some of the poorer areas should be paid MORE. Lord knows the shit I've seen in some of those wards. Infinitely more volatile and stressful than in the posher areas.

PJV3

i have a new tory motto

"we're all in it together unless you're a smarmy management cunt"

Catchy :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/apr/22/tory-revolt-lords-reform-cabinet

I am actually having some doubts about this coalition sticking it out until 2015, i can't believe how quickly they have turned into a joke. Lords reform was a policy of both parties.

Tory critics claim that around 100 backbenchers are determined to vote against the proposals whenever they have the chance.

One Tory MP said: "We will repeatedly vote against the front bench team and it will go on for months. It will be bloody and bruising and an episode we could well not recover from. Inevitably we have allies in the cabinet as well, Iain Duncan Smith being one."

At Thursday's meeting Gary Streeter, a normally loyal backbencher, and former shadow minister for international affairs, warned that it would be "worse than Maastricht" if the government went ahead.

It makes sense in that the cost of living is wildly different depending on where you live, but chances are it would be implemented shoddily. No doubt the government would be happy to let individual GPs and Hospitals (or the private firms managing on their behalf) decide how much people other than themselves are worth.

I bet the Tory cabinet sit round a table asking themselves "Why do those greedy, lazy public sector workers, who are all incompetent and terrible compared to their private sector counterparts, hate us?"

Catchy :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/apr/22/tory-revolt-lords-reform-cabinet

I am actually having some doubts about this coalition sticking it out until 2015, i can't believe how quickly they have turned into a joke. Lords reform was a policy of both parties.

Tory critics claim that around 100 backbenchers are determined to vote against the proposals whenever they have the chance.

One Tory MP said: "We will repeatedly vote against the front bench team and it will go on for months. It will be bloody and bruising and an episode we could well not recover from. Inevitably we have allies in the cabinet as well, Iain Duncan Smith being one."

At Thursday's meeting Gary Streeter, a normally loyal backbencher, and former shadow minister for international affairs, warned that it would be "worse than Maastricht" if the government went ahead.

Why can't Lib Dem backbenchers have this sort of backbone?

PJV3

AV didn't destroy the coalition, I see no reason why Lords reform would be any different.

They lost the AV+ battle fair and square, and according to the Coalition agreement. The tories seem to be losing their marbles at the moment, and the rumblings about Cameron and Osborne are getting louder. I don't think the coalition will crumble, but it isn't as solid as it was.

Why can't Lib Dem backbenchers have this sort of backbone?

They should flex their muscles more, the tories are at their weakest since the election, Clegg isn't ruthless enough.

Dambrosi

Banned
Now, what did Tory backbench MP Nadine Dorries say about Cam and Ozzie just today? Oh yeah, it was:

Nadine Dorries MP said:
There is a very tight, narrow clique of a certain group of people and what they do is they act as a barrier and prevent Cameron and Osborne and others from really understanding and knowing what is happening in the rest of the country.

Unfortunately, I think that not only are Cameron and Osborne two posh boys who don't know the price of milk, but they are two arrogant posh boys who show no remorse, no contrition, and no passion to want to understand the lives of others - and that is their real crime.

I guess we can add Greedy Andrew Lansley, Tosser to that list.

Just like all his other "policies", his latest bright idea (pay parity to region? Aspiration, freedom to relocate - what's that? Just keep the dirty Northerners too poor to move, so they don't bother the proper people who live south of the Watford Gap) only works in theory - an ideologically-led theory that relies on Tory dogma being infallibly right at all times. And as we all know, Tory dogma struggles to be right at any time.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I think there is a bit of shortsightedness in this thread about the local/regional pay thing.

Get this.

If pay is worked out on a local/regional basis (which is by definition going to be good enough to attract people into the jobs), then there is all the more reason to move large-scale government and agency stuff away from London and the South-East because there will be real cost savings involved, and no government that has big deficits/debts to play with is going to turn down that opportunity.

Now, if I lived in somewhere like Middlesborough or Merthyr Tydifil I'd be much more interested in the prospect of a lot more jobs coming into the town than I would be in maintaining the wage differentials of the few there who work in the Civil Service already.

If pay is worked out on a local/regional basis (which is by definition going to be good enough to attract people into the jobs), then there is all the more reason to move large-scale government and agency stuff away from London and the South-East because there will be real cost savings involved, and no government that has big deficits/debts to play with is going to turn down that opportunity.

Wistful thinking imo. If only. Here's what I imagine the effects are and will be:

The civil service *will* be more like most other employers, in that it will be a mediocre employer offering mediocre wages and mediocre benefits. It will struggle to attract people in to the rubbish, but necessary work that needs to be done to keep certain government functions running to a reasonable standard. Important jobs will stay in London, high grades will be well paid wherever they are, and the plebs in the North and semi-rural areas will basically have every incentive to move away, but being shackled to a location by kids, friends and family, most will not. The only work that will move to these places will be because it is menial / easily-transferable and because it makes it cheaper. It'll drive down wages and standards in ways that they were already encouraging enough with pay freezes (reductions) and hostile policies towards employment terms.

It won't work as they think it will...

Dambrosi

Banned
Get this.

Ooooooh, get you.

Sorry, Phi, but you're dead wrong on this one, for all the reasons that Radioheadrule83 describes. Like I always say, I'm grateful for your input on legal issues, but on this topic? I think you've got it all wrong. Just IMO, and with all due respect.

In other news! Leveson! James Murdoch! Jeremy Hunt's career totally fucked! Cable vindicated! More at the link!

Herein, Jimmy 'Doch tries to protect his "huge ally" from the nasty Court. Save the Cheerleader, Save The Sun? :p

Ex-News International chairman James Murdoch has denied Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt acted as a "cheerleader" for the company's bid for BSkyB.

Leveson Inquiry counsel asked about a comment on Mr Hunt's website: "Hunt is a cheerleader for Rupert Murdoch's contribution to British television."

Mr Murdoch said he did not think so: "I wouldn't describe it that way."

Earlier, Mr Murdoch said he "stood by" testimony he never saw an email showing phone hacking went beyond one reporter.

Mr Murdoch was questioned by counsel for the inquiry Robert Jay QC about his contact with politicians before and during News Corp's bid for BSkyB - which the company abandoned in July 2011 after the hacking scandal surfaced.

Mr Murdoch said he was "alive to the risk" that politics might influence his company's position, but added: "We rested on the soundness of the legal case."

In September 2010, BBC business editor Robert Peston blogged that Ofcom was expected to review News Corp's bid for the remaining shares in satellite broadcaster BSkyB.

Mr Murdoch said that it took just seven minutes for the story to be checked with Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt or one of his advisors.

He described a meeting with David Cameron, then Leader of the Opposition, on 10 September 2009 at the George club to discuss the "Sun's proposed endorsement" of the Conservatives for the upcoming general election.

Mr Murdoch said he discussed the BSkyB bid with Mr Cameron at the home of former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks on 23 December 2010 - seven months after he became prime minister.

The dinner was held two days after Business Secretary Vince Cable was stripped of his responsibility for overseeing the BSkyB bid, after he had been secretly recorded saying he had "declared war" on Rupert Murdoch.

A side note by Peter Hunt, BBC News correspondent:

The phone hacking saga, the hearing was told, was "well trodden ground".

James Murdoch remained on familiar turf. He made no new concessions and was left with the suggestion, which he rejected, that either he'd been involved in a cover-up or there'd been a failure of governance at the company he was responsible for.

The issue of James Murdoch's relationship with politicians may well prove to be more fertile territory for the inquiry to examine and for, ultimately, Lord Justice Leveson to pass judgement on.

The focus, which may prove to be a painful one, has been, in part, on News Corporation's links to the Culture Secretary, Jeremy Hunt. More than once, Mr Murdoch insisted the Tory Cabinet minister wasn't his company's "cheerleader".

It's a phrase that'll resonate; it's an issue which the politician's opponents may choose to exploit.

So...who's up for a bet on how long Hunt* stays in his Cabinet job? Ladbrokes and Paddy Power already stopped taking bets :p

* There used to be a Jabba The Hutt joke reference here. It's gone now.

Ooooooh, get you.

Sorry, Phi, but you're dead wrong on this one, for all the reasons that Radioheadrule83 describes. Like I always say, I'm grateful for your input on legal issues, but please...just leave it at that.

Yes, God forbid that someone on the internet has a different opinion to that of yourself.

Yeah, sorry, that was a bit abrasive. I'll rewrite it.

The whole regional pay scale idea is a bit of a stinker, though.

No worries, as ever, everyone is entitled to an opinion just as much everyone else is entitled not to agree with it.

On regional pay, I think the premise is sound, but the execution is poor. Slashing wages for current employees would be the wrong way to go about things. I would, as the Chancellor, run a couple of pilot studies in Labour cities whereby newly employed recruits are paid the going rate or just below to see how it affects private sector employment in the area. If the results (as I predict they would be) are positive then extend the scheme across more areas slowly to see if the result is repeated, if they are then go for wide adoption, and make regional pay official government policy, pass a bill which stipulates that all newly employed people in the public sector will be paid market rate for the local area for both their wage and pension. On the flipside, if it makes no difference then drop it quietly and pretend nothing ever happened.

Just bear in mind that there are areas in the North where the public sector employs more than 50% of people, not even in China do such areas exist. The public sector is crowding out the private sector in many parts of Britain, the medicine is probably regional pay, but it should not be brought into place by cutting the pay of currently employed peoples. It should be phased in over 5-15 years.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So it turns out that when Jeremy Cunt was saying all that foetid horseshit about the world being jealous of British TV because of Sky, he was as in Murdoch's pocket as everyone with a brain predicted. Just fancy that!

Also, interesting Monbiot Graun article about our Imperial history:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentis...h-empire-crimes-ignore-atrocities?INTCMP=SRCH

Re: Regional pay: I'm still yet to see a coherent explanation of how it's supposed to improve living conditions in different regions. Our economy is already in the shitter because people have no money and the solution is supposed to be...to give them less? OK! This will obviously cause private companies to hire more people because the invisible hand of the market and blah blah something socialism is evil.

[edit]Phi's claim at least makes sense. But civil service jobs are already outsourced to regions. The ONS, for instance.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Sorry, Phi, but you're dead wrong on this one, for all the reasons that Radioheadrule83 describes. Like I always say, I'm grateful for your input on legal issues, but on this topic? I think you've got it all wrong.

I think maybe some of our disagreement is a matter of time perspective. Being a whole load older I tend to look at long term impacts a lot more, and I think long term it is right.

zomg got the balance better when he said it like this:

Slashing wages for current employees would be the wrong way to go about things.

The public sector is crowding out the private sector in many parts of Britain, the medicine is probably regional pay, but it should not be brought into place by cutting the pay of currently employed peoples. It should be phased in over 5-15 years.

As always, even if the long-term answer looks right there's the whole problem of how you get from A to B - which can throw up all sorts of shit along the way..

Biggzy

So it turns out that when Jeremy Cunt was saying all that foetid horseshit about the world being jealous of British TV because of Sky, he was as in Murdoch's pocket as everyone with a brain predicted. Just fancy that!

The bad news for this coalition just keeps on coming.

Just bear in mind that there are areas in the North where the public sector employs more than 50% of people, not even in China do such areas exist. The public sector is crowding out the private sector in many parts of Britain, the medicine is probably regional pay, but it should not be brought into place by cutting the pay of currently employed peoples. It should be phased in over 5-15 years.

That isn't a good enough reason to not reward someone as much as someone working in the south even if they work just as hard. It is not the public sector workers fault that the private sector isn't taking up more slack.

If I were a teacher in the North of the country, I'd want exactly the same money as someone working in the next county down. You should be paid your value to society.

PJV3

The bad news for this coalition just keeps on coming.

Hunt is going to use the 'it wasn't me, it was my advisor' excuse, because of the way Cameron operates he might survive. And tomorrow there is a good chance Rupert is going to spread shit everywhere as revenge for Sky, so Cameron and Milliband might both be in for a rough time.

Dambrosi

Banned
On regional pay, I think the premise is sound, but the execution is poor

Story of the coalition's life?!

...I'm sorry, but I have yet to see any evidence that this is really true, or that it is necessarily a Bad Thing, except from an ideological standpoint. After all, this has presumably been the situation for many years, but nobody's piped up about it until Our Glorious Coalition arbitrarily decided that the budget had to be balanced, even if it kills us?

Think about the vital work that public servants do - not just nursing, policing and other emergenc6y services, but also binmen, benefits admin, social workers, the necessary bureaucracy to run councils across the country, and tons more - all overworked and underappreciated, all absolutely vital to our way of life. They've already seen their work outsourced, their pensions (however you might want to pretend they don't deserve them just because private pensions have been slashed over 30 years) frozen and threatened, and their work ridiculed - this bullshit is the last thing they need, phased in or not.

I think maybe some of our disagreement is a matter of time perspective. Being a whole load older I tend to look at long term impacts a lot more, and I think long term it is right.

I dunno how old you are, nor would I ask, but I'm a fairly ancient 39 years old. And I'm sorry, but I don't want the next generation to live in a world as hyper-obsessive over monetary matters and material wealth as our current one, thanks very much.

More to the point, I want the Welfare State to still be there for them, in public hands, free at the point of entry - just like it was for their parents. I don't think dogma-driven back-door privatization and corruption of their underlying values in the name of the Almighty Invisible Hand Of The Market is going to safeguard that. You might be able to trust the free market with public services, I don't trust them with their private services!

As always, even if the long-term answer looks right there's the whole problem of how you get from A to B - which can throw up all sorts of shit along the way..

You've hit the nail right on the head. As you once said to me long ago, "the Law Of Unintended Consequences" always rears its ugly head. And those "unintended consequences" affect real people with real families (and real votes!), and have the potential to be very nasty indeed.

Re: Regional pay: I'm still yet to see a coherent explanation of how it's supposed to improve living conditions in different regions. Our economy is already in the shitter because people have no money and the solution is supposed to be...to give them less? OK! This will obviously cause private companies to hire more people because the invisible hand of the market and blah blah something socialism is evil.

[edit]Phi's claim at least makes sense. But civil service jobs are already outsourced to regions. The ONS, for instance.

This post has been quoted for the strong foundation of truth contained therein.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Way more ancient than you, Dambrosi!

Looks like we are bound disagree in principle on the regional wage thing, but just to clarify a few points:

...I'm sorry, but I have yet to see any evidence that this is really true, or that it is necessarily a Bad Thing, except from an ideological standpoint. After all, this has presumably been the situation for many years, but nobody's piped up about it until Our Glorious Coalition arbitrarily decided that the budget had to be balanced, even if it kills us?

No, it's been a recognised problem for a long time. 1980's at least. Sure maybe nobody's actually proposed doing anything about it until times are as tight as they are now.

And it isn't unique to the public sector either. Same thing happened with single dominant local employers in the 20th century (like Clarks in Street, Unilever on the Wirrall and so on). A single dominant and even slightly benevolent employer tends to dissuade other businesses from entering owing to (a) relatively high wages for skilled staff (b) relatively low availability of skilled staff because they are tied up with the dominant employer.

That's old-fashioned economics and it isn't fair to blame the Coalition for it.

Now, just to preempt you, I'm not saying that the Civil Service is in monetary terms universally a benevolent employer, but that given national wage schemes it becomes so in poorer areas of the country.

Think about the vital work that public servants do - not just nursing, policing and other emergenc6y services, but also binmen, benefits admin, social workers, the necessary bureaucracy to run councils across the country, and tons more - all overworked and underappreciated, all absolutely vital to our way of life. They've already seen their work outsourced, their pensions (however you might want to pretend they don't deserve them just because private pensions have been slashed over 30 years) frozen and threatened, and their work ridiculed - this bullshit is the last thing they need, phased in or not.

This line of argument doesn't carry any weight with me. I've seen and worked alongside plenty of underworked public servants as well (and yes, I've seen the other sort as too - but "all overworked and underappreciated" is just useless hyperbole). And it is not at all reasonable or fair to protect the public sector from the tribulations of the market at the expense of the already burdened private sector.

And the private sector is equally absolutely vital to our way of life, as without it there could be no public sector.

Plus, it isn't just about public v private. There's the whole voluntary and charitable sectors to consider as well.

More to the point, I want the Welfare State to still be there for them, in public hands, free at the point of entry - just like it was for their parents. I don't think dogma-driven back-door privatization and corruption of their underlying values in the name of the Almighty Invisible Hand Of The Market is going to safeguard that. You might be able to trust the free market with public services, I don't trust them with their private services!

There's room, I think, for some more reasoned analysis and discussion of what can sensibly be supplied how out of the Welfare State, as all the political argument at present seems to split along idealogical party lines. But I don't, for example, see why total public ownership is a necessary precondition to a free-at-the-point-of-entry NHS for example.

If we cut out some of the hyperbole (probably on both sides) we can maybe have a constructive discussion about it.

Phi's claim at least makes sense. But civil service jobs are already outsourced to regions. The ONS, for instance.

Omigod. Blast from the past. That was my second job (after the biscuit factory). One of the few things that I remember about it was the security pass you needed to get in the door had the same design as the Naval signal for "man overboard".

Dambrosi

Banned
...?

...oh.

Well, Phi, I can see your points, but you're still forgetting one thing - these are private companies we're talking about. Actually, most likely major pharmaceutical corporations and medical insurance groups. You might trust them to look beyond their profit motive and their responsibilities to their shareholders so that they can deliver a good service in the public sphere, but I sure as hell don't.

The last thing either of us want (I hope) is for the NHS to end up like American healthcare.

Jburton

Banned
FUCK THIS SHITTY FUCKING GOVERNMENT.

They're basically indefensible at this point. Fuck them all to hell.

As shitty as they are I believe the issues are deep seated, and without radical thinking potentially disastrous

All are well documented and thoroughly discussed already but the UK has spent the last 30 - 40 years losing the majority of its industry and export businesses and relies too heavily on the financial industry in London.

I find it very hard to see any other future for the UK than depressingly bleak, cuts in education, over burdened welfare state that is burdening an already overstretched public purse and with very little forward thinking by succsessive administrations to help forge new industry in conjuction with the education system.

Economies built around singulair industries as its mainstay (finance in this example) leave themselves vulnerable to economic woes.

Increasing fuel costs increasing the cost of goods, hitting households all over the country are not going to help those families / individuals to spend cash in shops to help stimulate growth in the retail / services sector.

So many issues, so bloody depressing.

New thinking, new industry.

Top Bottom