• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I don't think you understand politics too well zomg. The numbers speak to themselves and all Ed needs say is "you fucked up, this is on you". However, pressing him into a corner and forcing him to "give full support" to Hunt is damaging his public perception even further. The double dip is a shit-sandwich Dave had to bite into regardless, but the shit-dessert of backing up Hunt was entirely up in the air. Ed gave him the spoon.

The Leveson Inquiry is important but it's definitely a Guardianista love in regarding the news coming out of it, and I suspect the general public aren't all that bothered, they generally know politicians like to lie.

Ed would look far better if he stuck rigidly to the economy, and let the Jeremy Hunt news speak for itself.

I love all the cronies coming forward bizarrely asking for more apprenticeships and graduates. I'm not sure theyre aware of what this government did to tuition fee's?

That was my MP there with the softball question on Lincoln. I am 1) waiting for the Uni to write up a press release that Cam mentioned it, and 2) amused by his rainbow tie after last week having his comments on gay marriage leaked and they were pretty shocking.

PJV3

Oh dear, don't tell me Ed flunked it again. The economy is much more important than Hunt. The media will get Hunt anyway, why bother wasting questions on it when the economy and the 2.5m unemployed people are the most important issue in this country.

Cameron can easily bat away Labour with his well rehearsed spiel, Milliband knows it will go nowhere. The Non-answers make for a poor PMQ's, and they also make Cameron look out of touch, so i don't blame Ed really.

clegg looks like he's just thinking "FUCK THIS"

Yeah, he looks really, really pissed off with Cameron.

I don't think you understand politics too well zomg. The numbers speak to themselves and all Ed needs say is "you fucked up, this is on you". However, pressing him into a corner and forcing him to "give full support" to Hunt is damaging his public perception even further. The double dip is a shit-sandwich Dave had to bite into regardless, but the shit-dessert of backing up Hunt was entirely up in the air. Ed gave him the spoon.

I think it is you who doesn't get it. People don't give a shit about Levenson and Hunt. People give a shit about finding a job. If the LoTO is not going to speak up for the millions of unemployed on the day that Britain officially entered a recession then who is?

He should have played 6 questions on the economy and let one (or two) of the backbenchers ask about Hunt/NI/Levenson.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The British public, with its short attention span, has both the soundbites it needs for the most negative perception of the opposition possible.

- "Labour did it".
- "Hunt has my full support."

Is Ed supposed to get up in PMQ and list off bullet points of what he'd have done better only for Cameron to use hindsight arguments and dismiss everything? The proof is in the pudding and here we are.

TCRS

Banned
I think it is you who doesn't get it. People don't give a shit about Levenson and Hunt. People give a shit about finding a job. If the LoTO is not going to speak up for the millions of unemployed on the day that Britain officially entered a recession then who is?

He should have played 6 questions on the economy and let one (or two) of the backbenchers ask about Hunt/NI/Levenson.

I agree. Poor perfomance by Ed. He wasted his questions on Hunt, the backbenchers are asking all the economy questions. It should have been the other way round.

Although Ed's weighting of issues would be off - but do you think Ed would actually ask anything that could look damaging and not be responded to with "THE PREVIOUS GOVERNMENT". Cos I'm not sure he'd have got anything much out of it. Someone else could, but Ed's not that person.

The British public, with its short attention span, has both the soundbites it needs for the most negative perception of the opposition possible.

- "Labour did it".

Is Ed supposed to get up in PMQ and list off bullet points of what he'd have done better only for Cameron to use hindsight arguments and dismiss everything? The proof is in the pudding and here we are.

By making the PM not answer the question or repeat the same excuses over and over he makes his point that they are failing the 2.5m unemployed around the country. He can end with "this is it really, the government have no answer for unemployed people, only tired excuses" or something to that effect.

PJV3

- "Labour did it".

Yep, he's got his 2 dodgy answers and that is all he needs for the news headlines.
Complacent Cameron sticking to Austerity, and Cameron defending sleaze.

Meadows

Banned
God I hope this Murdoch stuff keeps going, the Lib Dems could get shit loads of votes out of it if they handle it properly (which they won't of course).

About the recession - it's not really that bad, only about 0.2% worse than people thought, sometimes there are swings of 0.6% or more. Unemployment fell which is a good thing, but even I'm starting to think that we could do with a couple of capital investment projects in some poorly performing areas. The reason we're still in recession is because of the uneven level of recovery throughout the country.

Yes, Manchester is performing well, and yes London is doing well, but some parts of the North East are doing poorly - even though I really do believe the Quad+Cable are trying their damnedest to get foreign investment there. Wales too is performing poorly, although some positive signs on Steel in the South are encouraging. Angelsey needs to sort out some new Wlyfa sites. Cambridge/Oxford/Guildford type areas still doing very well though.

edit:

By the way I was looking at odds for Clegg to quit by the end of the year: 5/1 is probably worth a fiver! Farron is odds on to replace him (4/6). Got a chuckle out of Clegg being 100/1 to be the next Conservative leader (higher than Dorries!)

edit 2:

Gonna probably be voting for a Labour and Conservative councillor at the local elections because the other candidates have batshit insane policies about reducing the amount of goats on the Great Orme. No Lib Dems standing - I should have stood ;)

edit 3:

I'd jizz myself for Farron as deputy PM. Fucking badman. Still supporting Clegg however...for now.

PJV3

By making the PM not answer the question or repeat the same excuses over and over he makes his point that they are failing the 2.5m unemployed around the country. He can end with "this is it really, the government have no answer for unemployed people, only tired excuses" or something to that effect.

Cameron defends his economic policy every week with those same excuses, that is the drip-drip that damages his government. Headline today is recession whatever Milliband asks.

Harman isn't always good but is much better than Ed was on this issue. See what you mean that Ed should have focused on the economy, stupid

Edit: Sorry, I wrote Theresa May and have no clue why.

Murdoch's talking about Gordon Brown, and it sounds like their families were pretty close. He says he regrets that his relationship suffered after his papers dropped their support.

Lends some crecedence to the rumour that Murdoch was at least slightly reluctant to drop their support versus the likes of Brooks.

What did she say, was it better or worse than Ed's four (FOUR!) questions that he neglected the economy for.

She went with more substance. Mostly the same as she's spouted on every news channel/Newsnight, but was going for how he needed to take the blame.

12.39pm: Harriet Harman, the shadow culture secretary, is responding for Labour.

She says Vince Cable was not allowed to deal with the bid for BSkyB because he was thought to have made up his mind. But Hunt had made up his mind too.

Will Hunt explain how Fred Michel, the News Corp lobbyist, was able to give James Murdoch information about statements being made by Hunt to parliament in advance?

Either Michel was mystic meg, or he had been told.

When it came to the transparency that Hunt promised, there was a great deal of transparency for Murdoch, but very little for the opponents of the bid.

Hunt said he published information about all the exchanges between his deparment and News Corp. Does Hunt still think that is true?

Will Hunt confirm that, under the ministerial code, he is responsible for the conduct of his special adviser?

Hunt should have been impartial. But he was not. His conduct fell short of the standards required by his office. He was not judging the bid; he was helping the bid. He should resign.

operon

What did she say, was it better or worse than Ed's four (FOUR!) questions that he neglected the economy for.

They are like sharks they smell blood, they won't get any "results" asking about the economy as in resignations but they can with this. And resignations make headlines

Roughly this:

She says Vince Cable was not allowed to deal with the bid for BSkyB because he was thought to have made up his mind. But Hunt had made up his mind too.

Will Hunt explain how Fred Michel, the News Corp lobbyist, was able to give James Murdoch information about statements being made by Hunt to parliament in advance?

Either Michel was mystic meg, or he had been told.

When it came to the transparency that Hunt promised, there was a great deal of transparency for Murdoch, but very little for the opponents of the bid.

Hunt said he published information about all the exchanges between his deparment and News Corp. Does Hunt still think that is true?

Will Hunt confirm that, under the ministerial code, he is responsible for the conduct of his special adviser?

Hunt should have been impartial. But he was not. His conduct fell short of the standards required by his office. He was not judging the bid; he was helping the bid. He should resign.

Meadows

Banned
He said that Hunt has his full support though so I don't think that will happen. God Cameron can be a real cunt. Hague is pretty much the only Tory that I like these days.

Labour are fucking useless as well though - they need to get rid of the entire front bench team and give some of the 2005/2010 intake a go instead of the shite old guard of Harman, etc.

PJV3

Cameron doesn't like sacking people, he considers it a weakness of New Labour that they kept sacrificing ministers(he has a point).
Theresa May is lucky she still has a job, she can thank the Home Office for having a bad reputation, but Hunt is taking the piss.

Bo-Locks

I can't believe the sheer stupidity of Hunt. Even after the whole NOTW, BSKYB, Newscorp story blew up, he still tried to cosy up to the Murdoch's and push the deal through. Arrogant stupidity really is a beautiful thing.

operon

love some of these tory backbenchers cueing up to defend hunt, surely they are trying to get the attention of cameron so they can have hunts job, also surprised no one has told cameron/osbourne the price of milk yet

Dabanton

love some of these tory backbenchers cueing up to defend hunt, surely they are trying to get the attention of cameron so they can have hunts job, also surprised no one has told cameron/osbourne the price of milk yet

It's not even as smart as that. They are shills that are asked (although they are probably told) whether they will ask the minister 'safe' questions The embarrassing thing is it's the same MP's who ask these 'supporting' questions in the house every-time a tory minister is in trouble.

Depressingly the ethnic tory MP's are always called upon to do this.

operon

It's not even as smart as that. They are shills that are asked (although they are probably told) whether they will ask the minister 'safe' questions The embarrassing thing is it's the same MP's who ask these 'supporting' questions in the house every-time a tory minister is in trouble.

Depressingly the ethnic tory MP's are always called upon to do this.

It really shows up at the moment with have a shortage of good politicians

PJV3

Cameron should really do a cabinet reshuffle as part of the new legislative programme. Get Hunt, Lansley and May out.

His problem is that his party is to the right of him, and he has to satisfy the LibDem's and the coalition agreement. The 2010 Tory intake is meant to be full of rabid Thatcherites. It leaves him with a very limited selection of wets and people who understand compromise and reality.

nib95

Banned
True story, other day in my dads restaurant, randomly we hear this "come on you fucking cunt, come outside. Come on prick, outside now" and then fists fly as two guys got in to this fight at their table as they were knocking shit over etc.

Well I ran over to break it up, as did another staff member. Eventually we managed to get them to break it up and I hear "You ever call me a Tory again I'll fucking kick the shit out of you mate". I almost burst out laughing.

A fight broke out, because some guy called another guy a Tory supporter.

LOL.

PJV3

True story, other day in my dads restaurant, randomly we hear this "come on you fucking cunt, come outside. Come on prick, outside now" and then fists fly as two guys got in to this fight at their table as they were knocking shit over etc.

Well I ran over to break it up, as did another staff member. Eventually we managed to get them to break it up and I hear "You ever call me a Tory again I'll fucking kick the shit out of you mate". I almost burst out laughing.

A fight broke out, because some guy called another guy a Tory supporter.

LOL.

Was it Clegg and Cable (obvious,sorry).

Top Bottom