• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

SmokyDave

Nexus Zero said:
I almost did but then I saw the guy went down for 6 months.

Makes one wonder why on earth she'd make such a comment in the first place.

Edit: Hang on, hang. the. fuck. on...

Cherie Booth will not be disciplined after she was cleared over comments she made while sparing a violent offender jail.

Several complaints were made over a case the wife of former prime minister Tony Blair dealt with while sitting as a judge at Inner London crown court.

She told Shamso Miah, a devout Muslim, that he would not go to prison after breaking a man's jaw "based on the fact you are a religious person".

A spokeswoman said: "That investigation has concluded and found that Recorder Booth's observations did not constitute judicial misconduct.

So, she let the guy off going to prison purely because he is religious? Nothing more?

And this is not judicial misconduct? The complaints have no merit? Religious people are held to a different standard and that's ok?

Is my reading comprehension failing me here?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Nexus Zero said:

Not really. There are all manner of things that keep people out of jail for otherwise imprisonable offences, such as dependant relatives, previous good character, jobs and so on. All comes down to risk of re-offending really, and here he has a suspended sentence, which is a jolly good incentive to keep his nose clean as it will get triggered if he does anything else.

By the sounds of it he's a first-time offender on a charge of (probably unintentional) ABH, with previous good character who elected for Crown Court trial (since the sentence is otherwise within the Magistrates' powers) believing he had a reasonable chance of being found not guilty - so probably the facts aren't all that clear-cut either.

So, although Recorder Booth's comment is an archetypal example of judicial foot-in-mouth and it shouldn't really have been worded that way (though bear in mind we don't have the full report and it may be out of context) I can't see that it amounts to misconduct or discrimination as the outcome would probably been the same if she hadn't said that.

Nothing to make a fuss about really.

operon

SmokyDave said:

So, she let the guy off going to prison purely because he is religious? Nothing more?

And this is not judicial misconduct? The complaints have no merit? Religious people are held to a different standard and that's ok?

I wouldn't per se religious people more just particular religions

SmokyDave

phisheep said:
Not really. There are all manner of things that keep people out of jail for otherwise imprisonable offences, such as dependant relatives, previous good character, jobs and so on. All comes down to risk of re-offending really, and here he has a suspended sentence, which is a jolly good incentive to keep his nose clean as it will get triggered if he does anything else.

By the sounds of it he's a first-time offender on a charge of (probably unintentional) ABH, with previous good character who elected for Crown Court trial (since the sentence is otherwise within the Magistrates' powers) believing he had a reasonable chance of being found not guilty - so probably the facts aren't all that clear-cut either.

So, although Recorder Booth's comment is an archetypal example of judicial foot-in-mouth and it shouldn't really have been worded that way (though bear in mind we don't have the full report and it may be out of context) I can't see that it amounts to misconduct or discrimination as the outcome would probably been the same if she hadn't said that.

Nothing to make a fuss about really.
I appreciate what you are saying and I understand there are more factors taken into account when arriving at these decisions but for me, a judge seemingly deciding that 'religion = automatic morality' is worth fussing over.

The guy was in front of her for breaking someones jaw in a bank queue and she thinks the fact he's watched over by Allah means it's ok to release him? Because it's obviously going to keep him on the straight and narrow, right?

Her comments have lead me to believe that if I were to find myself in the same position as this man, our justice system would punish me for not believing in god. I really don't see how she has avoided having to explain her comments in full (apologising to the non-religious community for the implication of our second rate morals might not hurt either).

Basically, what a fucking stupid thing to say.

operon said:
I wouldn't per se religious people more just particular religions
Ah, the truth that dare not speak it's name no matter how apparent its face becomes. I wasn't going to go there but, yes, indeed.

Sir Fragula said:
I could live with a Milliband in power. Preferably Ed. Diane Abbot has made a career out of being a black woman in politics with nothing of substance behind her. She's just vacuous.
It's rather unfair of people to claim that Abbott is 'vacuous' and 'empty headed'. She has been an outspoken supporter of civil liberties and a number of other issues like trident. Even the darling of the right, David Davis said that her robust defence of civil liberties was "one of the finest speeches I have heard".

I'll concede, Abbott isn't Prime Ministerial material. But she deserves to be heard without scorn and is damn sight better than any of the other spineless runners who have readily scarified their principles lest they damage their future career prospects.

Mr. Sam said:
The BBC coverage of her was disgraceful. "All the other candidates are white men but, holy shit, this one's a black woman. Quick, everyone surrender your votes to our new overlord."

Abbott as Labour leader would rule me out of supporting that party for a long time.
I would have hoped that the last thirteen years would have ruled you out of supporting Labour for a long time. All of the candidates bar Abbott, are associated with the ancien regime. Labour deserves to be out of power for two terms at least, to allow them a root and branch reformation and a proper rethink about their values.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
SmokyDave said:
I appreciate what you are saying and I understand there are more factors taken into account when arriving at these decisions but for me, a judge seemingly deciding that 'religion = automatic morality' is worth fussing over.

The guy was in front of her for breaking someones jaw in a bank queue and she thinks the fact he's watched over by Allah means it's ok to release him? Because it's obviously going to keep him on the straight and narrow, right?

Her comments have lead me to believe that if I were to find myself in the same position as this man, our justice system would punish me for not believing in god. I really don't see how she has avoided having to explain her comments in full (apologising to the non-religious community for the implication of our second rate morals might not hurt either).

Basically, what a fucking stupid thing to say.

The primary reason she hasn't explained anything is that judges are not allowed to speak out of court on cases that have been before them. They cannot answer back, cannot explain and cannot apologise.

I agree it was a fucking stupid thing to say though.

cntr

Banned
Cameron 'understands US frustration' over BP leak
from The Independent
David Cameron said today he understood the US government's "frustration" over BP's efforts to cope with the Deepwater Horizon oil leak and would discuss the situation with President Barack Obama.​

Hoon 'deeply shocked' by Iraqi's fatal beating
from The Independent
Former defence secretary Geoff Hoon said today he was "deeply shocked" to learn that an Iraqi detainee had been hooded and allegedly beaten to death by British soldiers.​

Details of English councils' £1.1bn budget cut revealed
from BBC News
Details of £1.1bn cuts in funding for English councils have been announced - with the communities secretary pledging to minimise the impact on services.​

Communities Department breaks own fire safety rules
from BBC News by Ed Davey
The government ministry charged with ensuring fire safety has admitted failing to abide by its own fire safety laws at its headquarters.​

London Assembly investigates election day polling
from BBC News
The London Assembly will investigate how the polling for general and council elections was conducted in May.​

Hodge elected as chair of key Commons committee
from BBC News
Ex-minister Margaret Hodge has been elected chairman of the influential Commons Public Accounts committee, which audits government spending.​

Thousands of anti-terror searches were illegal
from BBC News
Thousands of people across the UK might have been stopped and searched illegally, figures released by the Home Office suggest.​

Raydeen

SmokyDave said:

Chapter IV. Paragraph. II. All Muslims shall be treated with cotton wool and the British way of life engineered in preparation of Sharia.

cntr

Banned
According to Dutch PoliGAF, the UK apparently has a law that makes people who've had a record of violence report to police stations during football games. Is that correct?

avaya

cntrational said:
According to Dutch PoliGAF, the UK apparently has a law that makes people who've had a record of violence report to police stations during football games. Is that correct?

During games? There has been a massive crackdown on hooligans in the last decade, most clubs are able to identify and ban them, there is register of known offenders.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
cntrational said:

Broadly correct, yes.

The Football (Disorder) Act 2000, which amends the Football Spectators Act 1989 makes provision for such things as surrender of passports and reporting to police stations. The law itself isn't explicit about when the reporting must take place - that'll be down to whatever court order is made on the individual - but typically they'll be told to report to a police station at kick-off time, which has the desired effect of making sure they are not at the match.

cntr

Banned
phisheep said:
Broadly correct, yes.

The Football (Disorder) Act 2000, which amends the Football Spectators Act 1989 makes provision for such things as surrender of passports and reporting to police stations. The law itself isn't explicit about when the reporting must take place - that'll be down to whatever court order is made on the individual - but typically they'll be told to report to a police station at kick-off time, which has the desired effect of making sure they are not at the match.

That's a pretty "eh" law. Then again, I guess it's been successful.

cntr

Banned
EU close to sealing bank data deal with US
from EUObserver by Valentina Pop
EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS – The European Commission is close to finalising a new bank data transfer deal with the US for anti-terrorism purposes, taking on board account "most" of the European Parliament's privacy concerns raised when it struck down the initial agreement.​

UK industry frets about "anti-British" BP backlash
from BBC News by Russell Hotten
The aggressive rhetoric being used by President Barack Obama towards BP over the oil spillage disaster is making waves across the Atlantic in Britain.

In addition to these comments, his officials have begun referring to "British Petroleum" - a name the company has not used since 1998.​

Mayor warns of 'anti-British rhetoric' over BP
from The Independent
The "anti-British rhetoric" levelled at BP in the wake of the Louisiana oil spill was becoming a matter of "national concern", London Mayor Boris Johnson warned today.​

England v USA: BP, Obama and the World Cup
from Enemies of Reason by Anton Vowl
I can't help thinking that there's a whiff of "news is sport, sport is news" about the Obama-bashing in the papers, especially in the run-up to the England v USA World Cup match at the weekend.​

cntr

Banned
How bad is the feline obesity crisis?
from Liberal Conspiracy by Jonn Elledge
I’m shocked. Shocked and appalled. David Nicholson, chief executive of the NHS, earns more than £250,000 a year. What’s that about, eh? All he does for it is manage an organisation with 1.4 million employees and a budget the size of Bangladesh. Bloody layabout.​
Future of Powys high schools outlined in new document
from BBC News
More details about the future of high schools in Powys have been outlined in a new council document.​
Why don’t MPs pay back tuition fees instead of increasing ours?
from Liberal Conspiracy by Sunny Hundal
Earlier this year, David Willets released a book called The Pinch, in which he argued how the Baby Boomer generation has mortgaged its children’s future to pay for it’s own instant gratification.​
Politicians will face trial over expenses scandal
from The Independent by Michael Savage
Three former MPs and a peer have failed in their attempt to avoid standing trial in the criminal courts over claims they fiddled their expenses by arguing that their Westminster seats made them immune from prosecution.​

Raydeen said:
Chapter IV. Paragraph. II. All Muslims shall be treated with cotton wool and the British way of life engineered in preparation of Sharia.

This wasn't because he was muslim but because he was religious.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Not to sound like a broken record going on about this, but is there a real need to fly the St George's Cross on Downing St. in place of the union jack for the duration of the world cup?

When Andy Murray is playing in Wimbledon do they put up a saltire for the week? No.

Mr. Sam

Sage00 said:
Not to sound like a broken record going on about this, but is there a real need to fly the St George's Cross on Downing St. in place of the union jack for the duration of the world cup?

When Andy Murray is playing in Wimbledon do they put up a saltire for the week? No.

Shit man, which nation do you think keeps putting the Conservatives in power? Blues've gotta pander.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Sage00 said:

I'll be interested to see what they do for the Rugby World Cup next year.

louis89

Why do we ringfence international aid?

I know it takes basically nothing out of our finances, but it just seems like an odd thing to insist on protecting.

defel1111 said:
Its interesting to see Diane Abbot second to only David Milliband amongst the public and beating Ed Balls among Labour voters.

Is it true that she is unliked in the party because of her 'leftist' views? smh...

cntr

Banned
Labour leadership hustings goes to Glasgow
from BBC News
The candidates to succeed Gordon Brown as leader of the Labour Party are to take part in a hustings in Glasgow.​

MPs' expenses regulator quits for 'health's sake'
from The Independent
A senior official has left his job overseeing the new MPs' expenses system, saying he needs a break "for the sake of my health and sanity".​

Ashcroft to launch “devastating” attack on Cameron
from Liberal Conspiracy
Lord Ashcroft, who has given the Tories more than £5m, is writing his own version of the inside story on the General Election campaign. And the News of the World has learned the former Conservative Deputy Chairman and Treasurer will slam Mr Cameron.​

Brutal history lesson for Lib Dems
from BBC News by Rebecca Keating
The Liberal MPs of the 1930s - debonair men with pocket watches, slicked-back hair and rakish demeanours - may seem to have little in common with today's Liberal Democrats.​

Bank commission calls for 'profound reform' of banks
from BBC News
Risk-free "safe haven" accounts guaranteed by the government should be set up as part of a "profound reform of the banking system", a report says.​

Armed forces chief Sir Jock Stirrup to quit early
from BBC News
Britain's most senior military officer will quit in the autumn, before the end of his term in April 2011, Defence Secretary Liam Fox has said.​

The prudent US-UK diplomacy of the BP spill
from BBC News by Ross Hawkins
Government ministers have been careful not to get drawn into a debate about Barack Obama's comments on BP.​

Cameron warns Obama over criticising BP
from The Independent
David Cameron last night issued a veiled warning to President Barack Obama not to undermine BP's "economic importance" to Britain and the United States, as the two men held crisis talks over the Gulf of Mexico oil spill disaster.​

Huhne advises Tory partners to abandon EU allies
from The Independent
A Lib Dem minister today threatens to open up the first significant split within the ruling coalition, by urging his Conservative partners to ditch EU allies once dismissed as "a bunch of nutters, anti-Semites and homophobes" by Nick Clegg.​

Walshicus

Sage00 said:

As an anti-Unionist I have no issue with the English flag being flown in England...

SmokyDave

phisheep said:
The primary reason she hasn't explained anything is that judges are not allowed to speak out of court on cases that have been before them. They cannot answer back, cannot explain and cannot apologise.

I agree it was a fucking stupid thing to say though.
Thank you. Frustratingly I understand why it would be that way. Oh well, never liked the woman anyway.

Sage00 said:

Don't you have a parliamentary building of your own to fly a flag from?

Flying the Union Flag wouldn't make any sense as there isn't a 'Britain' competing in the World Cup.

SmokyDave

Enosh said:
:lol

wait, you actualy belive that?
I think it's one of those 'There is absolutely no polygamy in the UK' things. Just best to ignore it really. To be fair, she did use the word 'religious' and any further extrapolation from that is purely speculation on our part.

Mr. Sam

You think you're better than me with your long words, Dave? But yeah, let's not jump to conclusions. Well, other than the conclusion that she's too dopey to be in a position of such power.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
SmokyDave said:
Don't you have a parliamentary building of your own to fly a flag from?

Flying the Union Flag wouldn't make any sense as there isn't a 'Britain' competing in the World Cup.
How would it not make any sense? The union flag always flys there. It IS out parliamentary building. It's the office of the prime minister of the UK, not of England. They took it down and replaced it with the English flag for the period of the world cup.

Sir Fragula said:
As an anti-Unionist I have no issue with the English flag being flown in England...
I completely support the creation of an English parliament with the English flag flying outside.

As it is now, that building represents the UK, not England.

Enosh

SmokyDave said:
I think it's one of those 'There is absolutely no polygamy in the UK' things. Just best to ignore it really.
are there still people that think that?

I mean the goverment alowed husbands to collect wellfare for more than one wife, kinda hard to go "there is no polygamy in the UK" after that

To be fair, she did use the word 'religious' and any further extrapolation from that is purely speculation on our part.
true and I concede on that point

still, would be interesting to know if there ever was a christian/hindu/whatever before her for a similar offense and what his sentence was

cntr

Banned
Cameron faces his first EU challenge: to avoid a row in Brussels
from The Independent
David Cameron will defy pressure today for Britain to be included in European measures to increase economic co-operation, aimed at preventing a repeat of the crisis in Greece.​

Backbenchers' revolt succeeds in watering down reforms to CGT
from The Independent
A controversial rise in capital gains tax to pay for an increase in the income tax threshold will be announced in next week's Budget, David Cameron confirmed yesterday.​

Expenses system is a 'nightmare' say MPs
from The Independent
Westminster's new expenses watchdog was attempting to repair the damage done to its reputation by a series of teething problems yesterday as MPs complained that the new system was a "nightmare".​

MSP resigns over comments about woman
from The Independent
A Labour frontbencher has been forced to resign from his role chairing a committee in the Scottish Parliament after being heard making comments about a woman in the public benches.​

Peers give MEPs free access after MPs withdrew passes
from BBC News
Peers are to give MEPs special passes to allow them access to the House of Lords - after MPs removed their rights to Westminster passes.​

Empty

since i've gotten home from the summer, i keep getting an earful from my dad about obama and bp. about how the horrible anti-british obama is stealing money from the poor and honest, huge multinational corporation BP who merely caused an environmental catastrophe and killed that coasts' tourism for years, is actually fully on on our side and is totally not at fault for the problem despite neglecting to do safety checks that could have prevented it. is this just a tory thing or are others annoyed by this controversy?

Empty said:
since i've gotten home from the summer, i keep getting an earful from my dad about obama and bp. about how the horrible anti-british obama is stealing money from the poor and honest, huge multinational corporation BP who merely caused an environmental catastrophe and killed that coasts' tourism for years, is actually fully on on our side and is totally not at fault for the problem despite neglecting to do safety checks that could have prevented it. is this just a tory thing or are others annoyed by this controversy?

I am thoroughly annoyed at

BP for letting this happen
Obama for forcing BP to pay
BP for paying with their dividend money

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Empty said:
is this just a tory thing or are others annoyed by this controversy?

I'm somewhat annoyed by the way this does seem to be cast as a British thing, and by the self-righteousness of some of the US politicians involved, particularly given the extent to which Bhopal has been in the news recently...

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Empty said:
It is completely BP's fault and they should pay the price (all of it, not just this $20 billion) for it, but Obama is playing polticial PR with the issue. Something like 1 in every 7p of the dividends that make up British pensions come from BP, and other large parts of the pension system are reliant on the BP share price (as well as several financial institutions all over the world).

The entire world relies on BP doing well and coming out of this crisis, including America, but Obama cares more about being re-elected than what's best for everyone it seems.

I have to say I also loved the language from Hawyward's hearing too. "with a golden parachute back to England". Classy, US.

Wes

venison crêpe
_48110736_cameron.jpg

Swaps?

cntr

Banned
uh

I don't really see what you guys are seeing with BP and Obama/US. <_<

Sage00 said:
Something like 1 in every 7p of the dividends that make up British pensions come from BP, and other large parts of the pension system are reliant on the BP share price

why do your pensions depend a private company

cntr

Banned
Give me Parliament with muscle, reform watchdog tells Clegg
from The Independent

The chair of Westminster's new political reform watchdog has likened Parliament to an "emaciated dwarf" that needs to grow more muscles to stand up to the "800lb gorilla" of government.​

Many teachers opt to set up free schools
from BBC News by Angela Harrison
More than 700 groups say they are interested in starting a "free school" in England - half are made up of teachers.

Groups can apply from today to set up a new "state-funded independent school".​

Government spending is published for the first time
from BBC News
Details of Scottish government spending on items over £25,000 have been released for the first time.​

(Some of) the truth about public-sector pensions
from BBC News by Stephanie Flanders
Are public-sector pensions "unfair" and "unaffordable"? The deputy prime minister thinks so, and many private-sector workers, with little or no pension to look forward to, would probably agree. But most public-sector workers in line for these pensions probably think they are no more than they deserve.​

Lane Fox to get expanded role as UK 'digital champion'
from BBC News

Martha Lane Fox is to retain her role as the UK's "digital champion" but with an increased focus on finding savings by delivering services online.​

Borrowing figures boost for Chancellor
from The Independent
Chancellor George Osborne gained some better news on the UK's struggling public finances today after official figures showed lower than expected borrowing in May.​

RedShift

cntrational said:
uh

I don't really see what you guys are seeing with BP and Obama/US. <_<

why do your pensions depend a private company
IIRC US pensions were dependant on BP shares as well, to a much lesser degree.

Zenith

Banned
BP is fully to blame. don't fall for that spin.

and it was stupid of brokers to invest all the pension funds in 1 company.

cntr

Banned
Shock as council refuses to endorse gay blood donation
from Liberal Conspiracy by Sunny Hundal
Labour controlled Nottingham City Council made the shocking decision this week to remove references to gay and bisexual men from a motion celebrating World Blood Donor Day.​

London limits pay gap; Tories vote against
from Liberal Conspiracy
A motion agreed at the Greater London Assembly (GLA) yesterday urged the Mayor to sign up to the Government’s pledge to limit senior public sector pay settlements.

And even though the Prime Minister has pledged to limit the highest public sector pay settlement to a 1:20 ratio, all Conservative Assembly Members opposed the motion yesterday.​

Guido’s silly rumours on Brown’s mental health
from Liberal Conspiracy by Mental Nurse

If you’ve been wondering why Gordon Brown hasn’t been seen in public much lately, blogger Guido Fawkes has an explanation.

In a post entitled, “The Former Prime Mentalist” he cites rumours that “Gordon Brown has been spending stints in a London hospital. For psychological reasons.”​

Varion

louis89 said:
Only thing I can think of is that it supposedly makes us look bad internationally. Can't say that's the reason for sure but it wouldn't surprise me.

Everyone looking forward to the budget tomorrow? :lol

Deadman

Varion said:
Only thing I can think of is that it supposedly makes us look bad internationally. Can't say that's the reason for sure but it wouldn't surprise me.

Everyone looking forward to the budget tomorrow? :lol

My friend said he had read rumours of tution fees going up to £7k. If that happens im more than slightly screwed :lol

defel

Deadman said:
My friend said he had read rumours of tution fees going up to £7k. If that happens im more than slightly screwed :lol

7k is a bargain considering what you get in return.

Top Bottom