• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Deadman

defel1111 said:
7k is a bargain considering what you get in return.

Yeah it is, but i simply wont be able to afford that. The only way i will is if they up the tuition fee loan to match it, which i dont think they will.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
defel1111 said:
7k is a bargain considering what you get in return.

Subtly moves the UK back toward the once-moribund class system, in terms of how it limits access to education for the working class.

Not saying the class system is gone, just that its parameters have been smudged by free education and new money. This is a step backward in that regard.

Meadows

Banned
If the student loan/grant goes up with it, then fine, but for fucks sake, don't just bump it up and do nothing else; I'll go broke!!!

If they at least give me the loan then I can still attend Uni, and I know 7,000 is still good value but fucking hell, give me a chance!

SmokyDave

Chinner said:
ANYONE HYPED FOR TODAY???
CAN'T WAIT!

I'VE BEEN THINKING LATELY THAT THERE IS TOO MUCH MONEY IN MY POCKET, I'D LIKE MY GOVERNMENT TO TAKE SOME OFF ME.

Man, typing in all caps hurts my eyes, my heart and my soul.

SmokyDave

PJV3 said:
Do not fear, we can always bring back the workhouses and the poorhouses it will be like Dickensian England. :(
We already have those, they're called call centres. What we need is a method of making the sub-working class productive.

I propose burning 'em for fuel.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Deadman said:
Yeah it is, but i simply wont be able to afford that. The only way i will is if they up the tuition fee loan to match it, which i dont think they will.

Pretty sure they will, or provide a similar way of getting the money.

Varion said:
You're joking, right? :lol

Uni these days isn't even worth the current £3k asking price, much less £7k.

That depends on the course (and on the person taking it).

Salazar

SmokyDave said:
We already have those, they're called call centres. What we need is a method of making the sub-working class productive.

I propose burning 'em for fuel.

Stationary bicycle power generation seemed eminently preferable, until the thought struck me that they would need to be fed.

Salazar

PJV3 said:
Let them eat cake.

However poetic, that would supply them with sudden bursts of energy followed by plunging lethargy. I want consistent pedalling.

What is more, cake is a cost.

Salazar

I'm reading Bernard Mandeville's The Fable of the Bees, and this lunatic wringing of the poor as if they were a cloth doesn't seem as unnatural as it should.

How they named a mascot after Bernard just escapes me. Man was a prick.

Gaaraz

It's not a 'bargain', but it is a considerable amount less than it'll actually cost to get you through the course. I'm wondering if the aim is to stop people wasting their monies by going to university for no reason other than it seems a bit of a laugh.

Not sure if they could introduce something where you'd need really good grades in respected and relevant A Levels to make you exempt from the fees, or something? Hmm

Salazar

blizeH said:
Not sure if they could introduce something where you'd need really good grades in respected and relevant A Levels to make you exempt from the fees, or something? Hmm

That would probably (no, certainly) be a whip to flog the already distressed humanities and turn higher education into even more of a funnel for industry.

Lear

Varion said:
You're joking, right? :lol

Uni these days isn't even worth the current £3k asking price, much less £7k.
That depends rather hugely on the course and the uni itself. I'll concede that there are a lot of courses which are really pointless and far too many people go to uni just for the experience/to get pissed every night. Personally, though I wouldn't want to pay 7k in tuition fees, I feel that it'd still be a bargain for what I'm getting.

Ooh, there's Osborne. Time for the bloodbath to begin...

SmokyDave

1307Housing benefit will be limited to a maximum of £400 per week for a four-bedroom house under radical reforms, Mr Osborne says.

That doesn't sound all that radical to me.

Radical would be paving over 20% of Wales, creating a benefits ghetto of concrete blocks of flats with communal internet / TV / Bathrooms and then forcing people to live there and be educated by the state until they could be useful to larger society at which point they'd be returned to the flock.

Me & Kim-Jong, we got in goin' on.

Meadows

Banned
Holy...they're really cutting back aren't they...oh well, gotta respect a brave government, not a bullshit government, even though it's bad for me.

painey

20% is going to be our new defacto. When we are older we will look back and say "remember when VAT was only 17.5%?"

faridmon

what the hell is happening? are they going to raise the tution fees in Universitise? when?

I hope not its not this year, as i am going to change university.

Or will it still affect me. Man, i don't get student loan, how will i afford the much? :(

20% VAT, WTF?

Lear

faridmon said:
what the hell is happening? are they going to raise the tution fees in Universitise? when?

I hope not its not this year, as i am going to change university.

Or will it still affect me. Man, i don't get student loan, how will i afford the much? :(

20% VAT, WTF?
I'm fairly sure that any increases in tuition fees won't affect people who are currently in university. Not sure how it affects you if you're changing university though...

faridmon

Lear said:
I'm fairly sure that any increases in tuition fees won't affect people who are currently in university. Not sure how it affects you if you're changing university though...
Thanks. Bloody hell, bad news all around, and i don't drink or smoke so the cider news is not going to affect me. *sigh*

well, at least the economical recovery is there, right?

Top Bottom