• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

UnblessedSoul said:
They should have increased tax on cigs and beer as well

Fuck that shit, I need to be able to afford to drown my sorrows.

20% vat was always on the cards and brings us into line with a lot of European countries.

The 28% CGT rate for higher income tax earners sounds good to me, think a lot of people panicked and put properties on teh market recently and they may not even be affected by this.

No video game tax relief is quite dumb. I dont think they understand the amount of jobs involved, and the huge change uprooting an moving studios would cause should companies decided to leave..

..they also don't seem to release the amount of new studios and jobs they would gain with such a tax relief.

Poorly targeted my arse. Hello Canada.

faridmon

UnblessedSoul said:
They should have increased tax on cigs and beer as well
this
just because i don't use those stuff, sorry guys. it must about me and me only

oh, crap, the labour is attacking them very vigorously. its more of attack to the Libs than Conservatives :lol

Dark Machine said:
Place hardest hit by austerity budget? Merseyside. Place not hardest hit? Cheshire. Typical fucking Tories...
huh? where do read (heard/wtched) this?

West Midlands?

Chinner

Banned
This is the part where Hideo Kojima comes in, taps Harman on the shoulder and says "one more thing, MGS6 will be released in 2011!".

Chinner said:
This is the part where Hideo Kojima comes in, taps Harman on the shoulder and says "one more thing, MGS6 will be released in 2011!".

E3+Gaming+Conference+Held+Los+Angeles+_WU0MNxDPsjl.jpg

J Tourettes said:
Anything and everything. If scousers aren't moaning, they're not happy. Five years of happiness confirmed.

Funny, it seems like if the rest of the country isn't going on about 'moaning scousers' they're not happy either, so yeah you lot get your happiness. The 70s and 80s are long over mate, let the stereotype go.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Chinner said:
harman is actually being slightly impressive here for once.

Fuck Harman. It's easy to find fault in an austerity budget that's required because of the shit your party did while in power.

faridmon

Dark Machine said:
Funny, it seems like if the rest of the country isn't going on about 'moaning scousers' they're not happy either, so yeah you lot get your happiness. The 70s and 80s are long over mate, let the stereotype go.
yeah, the hate of Scousers is just unbellivable.

anyway, "This Budget is not driven by economics; it's driven by ideology - their commitment to a smaller state," says Ms Harman.

WTF? i thought it was for the great Economical revival of Brittatin?

Varion

Deadman said:
He didnt mention tuition fees, this was a great budget.
Well we can see your priorities :lol

Also, most of Liverpool deserves the hate. This city is a fucking scumhole.

Varion said:

Fuck off Varion, it's disproportionate when you look and see it's the same in any other major city in terms of scummy, waster chavs. Moss Side, Hackney, Manor Top (Sheffield). It also affects my job prospects because of the stupid prejudice against Liverpudlians. My uncle was rejected from 3 jobs down in London because of it, and subjected to endless workplace bullying because of it as well.

It's always; "Here's the scouser, watch ya wallets guys! HAHAHAHA!" Not "Here's the Cockney! Watch out or he'll shoot you lads!".

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
operon said:
Harman talking a lot of shit, easy to talk about unfair budgets yet her party was the cause of the mess

Yeah, note the lack of details on where Labour cuts would have fallen - just blaming the Lib Dems for the cuts that are being made now. To listen to her you'd think Labour would have lowered VAT, increased the size of the public sector, slashed taxes across the board, increased benefits and abolished the deficit within five months.

Meadows

Banned
People that say Cheshire isn't posh haven't been to Warrington :lol It's the only not post bit though to be fair, but fuck me, my hometown is rough. Also, Liverpool has generally more poverty than Manchester IMO

PJV3

operon said:
Harman talking a lot of shit, easy to talk about unfair budgets yet her party was the cause of the mess

Partly responsible, but let's not forget who really fucked up the economy the world over.
Does the OBR take into account the EU wide cuts when making its projections, because i fear with even Germany making cuts there wont be any growth at all.

Meadows said:
People that say Cheshire isn't posh haven't been to Warrington :lol It's the only not post bit though to be fair, but fuck me, my hometown is rough. Also, Liverpool has generally more poverty than Manchester IMO

Liverpool does have 4 of the 10 most deprived areas in the country. It's called the poverty trap. Sure I'm not going to claim Liverpool doesn't have a good load of feckless chavs, but so does everywhere, the prejudice is disproportionate is what I'm against. Also Manchester has more people in poverty currently than Liverpool, and a higher crime rate. There were some figures on the BBC website a while ago that I remember because it was a big thing for me.

iapetus said:
Yeah, note the lack of details on where Labour cuts would have fallen - just blaming the Lib Dems for the cuts that are being made now. To listen to her you'd think Labour would have lowered VAT, increased the size of the public sector, slashed taxes across the board, increased benefits and abolished the deficit within five months.

Labour wouldn't have increased VAT, they would of cut costs and relied more on economic growth, rather then go all out to decrease the deficit as soon as possible, it was the banks in the private sector that put us in this mess and now everyone has to suffer

SmokyDave

So glad they didn't touch tuition fees. I'm debating changing career fields and doing a degree in-between and that would have made me shed tears.

I notice they said no new increases on tobacco duty. I wonder what old increases are still to filter through?

operon

PJV3 said:
Partly responsible, but let's not forget who really fucked up the economy the world over.
Does the OBR take into account the EU wide cuts when making its projections, because i fear with even Germany making cuts there wont be any growth at all.

What the banks were to blame for some people getting over 100k in housing benefit a year, and that can't be laughed off as a Daily Mail story. Living beyond our means

UnblessedSoul said:
Labour wouldn't have increased VAT, they would of cut costs and relied more on economic growth, rather then go all out to decrease the deficit as soon as possible, it was the banks in the private sector that put us in this mess and now everyone has to suffer

It was Gordon Brown who was against tougher regulation.

PJV3

operon said:
What the banks were to blame for some people getting over 100k in housing benefit a year, and that can't be laughed off as a Daily Mail story. Living beyond our means

Hence the "partly"

defel

UnblessedSoul said:

The government deficit is not the fault of the banking sector. I think that the government have to be very careful in how they make cuts. One could argue that reducing the public sector stimulates more efficient growth in the private sector but the basic Keynesian issue that tightening the public sector during low growth is dangerous.

Xavien

operon said:

No it was the banks that added £750 Billion to our defecit total, a pretty fucking large sum wouldn't you say?

J Tourettes said:
It was Gordon Brown who was against tougher regulation.

As was everyone who was living the high life before the crunch.

Lucius86

Banned
OMG Harriet Harman was annoying. She pretty much singled out the Lib Dems alone for siding with the Tories, yet failed to answer how she would have sorted out the economy.

A very interesting budget - no one is looking forward to the 20% tax rate, but at least its going to be a lot easier to work out how much tax is on purchases :lol

PJV3

Anyhow i think we should tip our hats to the Queen for scraping by on what she has.
It isn't easy paying for 15 course banquets and Buckingham council house/ Palace isn't cheap to run.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
A cut in corporation tax financed by an increase in VAT. Classic shift in tax burden from the rich to the poor in a typical Tory budget. People here thought hey had changed. :lol

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Sage00 said:
A cut in corporation tax financed by an increase in VAT. Classic shift in tax burden from the rich to the poor in a typical Tory budget. People here thought hey had changed. :lol

Yeah, I was expecting the country's main right-wing party to place the means of production in the hands of the workers and to take from each according to their ability and give to each according to their need. Who'd have thought they'd believe a healthy private sector is key to economic recovery?

Nobody in their right mind thought they'd changed that much. Right wing party with right wing ideologies is not a shocking discovery, no matter how much some people are going to try and spin it that way. But you can see straight away some of the compromises they've made going into this - no raise in tuition fees being an obvious one for a start.

Xavien said:
No it was the banks that added £750 Billion to our defecit total, a pretty fucking large sum wouldn't you say?

As was everyone who was living the high life before the crunch.

As super-chancellor and then Prime Minister, he has to shoulder some of the blame.

Luckily for us, he was kind enough to save the world.

iapetus said:
Yeah, I was expecting the country's main right-wing party to place the means of production in the hands of the workers and to take from each according to their ability and give to each according to their need. Who'd have thought they'd believe a healthy private sector is key to economic recovery?

Nobody in their right mind thought they'd changed that much. Right wing party with right wing ideologies is not a shocking discovery, no matter how much some people are going to try and spin it that way. But you can see straight away some of the compromises they've made going into this - no raise in tuition fees being an obvious one for a start.

Well, a healthy private sector was certainly the key to the economic downturn...

Deadman

It seems tuition fees are not a budget issue, but will be the subject of a report by Lord Browne due in october 2010, so they may still change. But hes a former chief exec of BP, so you know hes a good guy.

UnblessedSoul said:
Alistair Darling refused to rule out a VAT increase during the election campaign, much to the chagrin of Ed Balls. So it's pretty obvious that Labour would have increased VAT had they won the election, otherwise why would they have given up the chance for a populist manifesto pledge not to raise VAT?

Personally, I don't know why everyone is making a fuss about VAT. At 17.5%, Britain's VAT is one of the lowest in the EU, increasing it to 20% brings it in line with the rest of Europe. Secondly, higher earners spend more and thus it is they will be hit hardest by VAT, not the lower earners who spend and buy less. I heard on BBC news that lower earners on average spend 70p of every £1 they earn on food (I don't know how he arrived at that suspect statistic), but if it's true then you can hardly say that lower earners will be that adversely affected when the VAT increase does not apply to food.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
blazinglord said:
Secondly, higher earners spend more and thus it is they will be hit hardest by VAT, not the lower earners who spend and buy less. I heard on BBC news that lower earners on average spend 70p of every £1 they earn on food (I don't know how he arrived at that suspect statistic), but if it's true then you can hardly say that lower earners will be that adversely affected when the VAT increase does not apply to food.
:lol Wow.

* Government bails out banks, saving financial sector and pulling country back from the brink of economic disaster

* Financial sector's gracious response: "Uhh yeah thanks for that. By the way, you need to imbue us with confidence by getting rid of that deficit you just racked up saving our asses or your credit rating will be lowered and we'll send you straight into a double dip recession. kthxbye"

People keep trying to suggest that this all came about purely out of Labour spending with reckless abandon, and our collective, mutual disregard for the seriousness of our debts. As I understand it, this came about because huge financial institutions sold us dodgy products and gambled our money in a way that exposed them to risk. Those in the upper earning echelons of our capitalist system caused this mess, and today the pain was dished out to everyone who facilitates their ability to continue to function as normal. Its almost funny. Except its patently not.

I'm almost surprised at how unfazed I am by this budget. I think we've actually been led to expect worse in recent weeks, and perhaps it was all part of some wider PR campaign to make the real cuts not seem so bad. You never know!

The child / housing benefit stuff will be looked on kindly by most who weren't already in receipt of it I reckon, and some may even feel the cuts there don't go far enough. Others who currently rely on it will be in dispair. I am in the 28% of public sector workers who won't be getting a pay freeze, but my life has been made plenty uncomfortable by the restrictions we've had coming through for weeks now (manpower, finance)... but I guess thats nothing the private sector probably isn't also enduring. I'm sure I'd be pissed had I earned enough to have my pay frozen.

The Lib Dems are going to get a lot of attacks from Labour, and possibly from within their own party over the coming weeks... but honestly, this was going to be a tough budget no matter who was delivering it. Its just politically convenient for Labour that they're not involved this time.

The next big events will be the reviews into University tuition, any further changes to public sector pensions, and the Strategic Defence Review.

VAT going up to 20%? Thats it now. Thats the new norm. People old enough will remember when Thatcher increased VAT from 8.5 to 15%, and Major to 17.5%. It never seems to go down for long!

PJV3 said:
Anyhow i think we should tip our hats to the Queen for scraping by on what she has.
It isn't easy paying for 15 course banquets and Buckingham council house/ Palace isn't cheap to run.

I saw some amazing clips of Prince Philip from the late 70s when the Royal Family had to go begging for more money to the government to stay in the black for the year... when asked what stuff he would have to stop if they didn't get more money, he actually said Polo. Fucking. Crazy. While the rest of the country was about to endure blackouts and swathes of strikes. I'm surprised they weren't deposed there and then!

I don't mind the Royal Family btw. It does seem like part of our national identity to me that we have one... but I can't really say I'd miss it either.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Varion said:

I find it quite the reverse. I've been to every city and major town in England and Wales (except Canterbury) and of all of them, I find Liverpool the friendliest, most welcoming and generally happiest - despite the continual knocks it has taken. It is well worth an extended visit just for the joy of wandering around chatting to people.

There. That should redress the balance a bit (and no, I'm not a local, the South West is my usual stamping ground - but I'd move to Liverpool like a shot if it wasn't so bloody cold in winter).

Walshicus

operon said:
To be fair, VAT increases are incredibly regressive. Much fairer to raise the same total monies through income tax.

SmokyDave

phisheep said:
I've been to every city and major town in England and Wales (except Canterbury)
Is the omission of Canterbury deliberate?

Canterbury Tourism Department said:
Canterbury has the perfect blend of city, coast and countryside, ensuring that however varied your interests are you will be spoilt for choice.

How could you resist?

Edit: Also anecdotally, I've visited Liverpool on a handful of occasions and I've (nearly) always found it to be a lovely place. Wound up on a dodgy estate once that was like the 7th circle of hell but every city has those.

Top Bottom