• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

kitch9

Banned
I see Cameron is blaming the Eurozone and 'boom and bust' years (i.e. 'it's Labour's fault').

They can't really get away with that again, can they?
The crash happened under Labours watch even after they said it wouldn't, and the world economy is still fucked and nobody trusts anyone any more...

There's no money, and the only way to get money is to borrow until our eyes bleed and thanks to decades of overspending our eyes started bleeding years ago.

Labours master plan of cutting vat by 2p and spending a little bit more thinking that will fix all our problems is the financial equivalent of me pissing in the ocean..

So yeah, there's going to be no quick fix regardless of who's in control.

Dambrosi

Banned
So Brown called it wrong. Still not his or Labour's fault it actually happened. That's all on the US banks.

Still, I agree that there'll be no easy way out of this mess.

kitch9

Banned
What's so wrong with Ed Balls that he makes the whole Labour Party unelectable? Apart from being a slimy twonk, that is (and there's a thousand worse than him in the Tories). Honestly, I think you two are overstating it.

Honestly again, I would've thought Harriet Harman was more of a liability.

I can't imagine anything more embarrassing for our nation than having both the Eds in charge.

Labours got their leaders badly wrong, and most people I've spoke to feel the same.

f0rk

Surely if Clegg was serious he would have waited 2 weeks for the Olympics die down and make more of a stink?

And I don't know who I'd vote for. I don't agree with Tory philosophy and the Lib Dems just flip flop constantly but unfortunately David Cameron is the strongest leader of the three.

Dambrosi

Banned
Well, it's still the main headline on the news, even with all the worthless trinkets flooding in to Team GB's coffers. So it worked, but only for as long as the Olympics will allow, mitigating the damage to both parties - burying bad news under a special event, as it were.

So yes, Clegg is serious...about keeping his party in power.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I can't imagine anything more embarrassing for our nation than having both the Eds in charge.

Labours got their leaders badly wrong, and most people I've spoke to feel the same.

They'd be fine.

The last thing needed was David Milliband - he's poison, with his terrible stint as foreign secretary and his smarmy pseudo-Blairness. Voters desire credibility and character - he lacks it. None of the other alternatives were particularly great, anyway. Yvette Cooper would have been an interesting choice but for her expenses...

Ed Milliband has done an adequate job, really. It was a thankless task being made Labour leader then. The party should have disintegrated, yet it hasn't, and slowly but surely he is crafting a coherent message. He's also been steadily setting the tone for discourse - responsible capitalism being the key drive.

Obviously he is not at all charismatic and the papers smeared him from the off. However, the general consensus seems to be that he is personally a likeable man. I would expect that his personal ratings would rise in accordance with wider personal exposure. Though if he tries to do a Blair-esque personality campaign it will be disastrous. He has to run an ideological campaign, an intellectual campaign, almost.

Walshicus

Cameron's calling their bluff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19158924

I predict the changes will be voted in but it will acclerate the break up of the coalition.

I don't think they'll go through. Labour oppose because they'll lose out. Lib Dems the same, and even though the Tories as a party would gain, there are a number of Tory MPs who would lose out under the scheme.

Cameron will just come out of it even weaker.

Dambrosi

Banned
I don't think they'll go through. Labour oppose because they'll lose out. Lib Dems the same, and even though the Tories as a party would gain, there are a number of Tory MPs who would lose out under the scheme.

Cameron will just come out of it even weaker.
Correct. I don't think many people understand just how sizable that number is. We're not quite talking Lords Reform rebellion numbers here, but it's still quite enough to see the Coalition's majority wiped out in the face of a unified Lib/Lab opposition.

Lib/Lab. Who'da thunk they'd hear that phrase again?

Anyway, anyone else mad that the Yanks are kicking our banks in the nads for allegedly laundering Iranian money?
I'm torn on it. On the one hand, it's a bank, so fuck 'em; on the other hand, it's Americans forcing their laws on other countries again, and no sir, I don't like that, not one little bit

Jackpot

Banned
Anyway, anyone else mad that the Yanks are kicking our banks in the nads for allegedly laundering Iranian money?
I'm torn on it. On the one hand, it's a bank, so fuck 'em; on the other hand, it's Americans forcing their laws on other countries again, and no sir, I don't like that, not one little bit
Their NY office has to obey US law. End of.

Besides, they didn't do it to correct a perceived injustice. They did it because they were handed a truckload of cash and they have no qualms breaking the law in pursuit of profit.

Meadows

Banned
So, how does a person go into politics? Running for council, or local elections?

join a political party

then run for your local council seat for said political party (or as an independent)

then if you're talented (see: a dickhead) then you'll get selected to run as an MP for some constituency you have no chance of winning (an opposition safe seat).

then if you arselicked the right people you'll get a marginal/safe seat for your party and then become an MP

Dambrosi

Banned

Besides, they didn't do it to correct a perceived injustice. They did it because they were handed a truckload of cash and they have no qualms breaking the law in pursuit of profit.
And there it is. "They're a bank, so fuck 'em" appears to be the correct response, as usual.

Gee, I wonder how many other investment banks are caught up in shit like this? :p

It is curious that they're mainlysticking it to UK banks though... are Bank of America and Citigroup etc being given the scrutiny that UK banks are?

I never really noticed the massive coalition tension what with the Olympics and all, but it's pretty massive. Can't see the boundary changes going through now, unless the lib dems are EVEN MORE lapdog like than they currently are (what am i saying).

Interesting times.

What's ridiculous is that deficit hawks will cite this as a failure of Quantitative Easing and they'll call for more austerity cuts. Britain is being run into the ground by some woeful economics.

i know exactly the sort you're talking about, the cuts will never be to deep and cruel enough.

Dambrosi

Banned
It is curious that they're mainlysticking it to UK banks though... are Bank of America and Citigroup etc being given the scrutiny that UK banks are?
Yeah, you'd almost think the USA were deliberately trying to destroy the UK's financial sector, the way they're going after our banks. [/tinfoilhat]

To which I can only say "USA! USA! USA!". Anything that can reduce the political power of bankers can only be a Good Thing for our democracy.

Someone tell me this is wrong... because I really can't get my head around it.

Prime Minister David Cameron has announced the NHS Constitution is set to be changed to allow pharmaceutical companies access to anonymised GP records 'on a scale never seen before'.

The constitution currently guarantees patients the right to confidentiality and ‘to expect the NHS to keep your confidential information safe and secure'.

But a consultation on the constitution due to start in October is set to overturn this right to allow patients' data to be automatically used for research unless the patient specifically chooses to opt out, the Mr Cameron revealed.

Pulse revealed in May that patients would be given the right to withhold identifiable data from being extracted from GP records, under proposed changes to a Government scheme to create a central NHS patient data service.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/newsart...llow-drug-companies-to-access-patient-records

hmmmm

on the one hand it's good to get more research data out there.

on the other hand I utterly distrust goverment/civil service ability to keep this anonomous, they'll almost certainly cock up somewhere, maybe a cd left on a train without patient name/addresses beign wiped off or somesuch.

pulsemyne

My god they really are fucking clueless aren't they. In another example of their stupidity our glorious leader has been saying that schools need to do more with sports. Yeah that's very easy when schools have been forced to sell off their playing fields. Idiotic, stupid, corrupt fuck-wittery.

As long as all of the data is anonymous, I don't have a problem with that. It would enable the pharmaceutical companies to target their research/manufacture accordingly.

On the other hand, they'll also create a lot of 'things you need pills for' as they'll exploit the data and play on peoples fears. There has been a transition from 'curative' medicine to 'preventative' medicine in recent years. Essentially they market a potential disease/affliction and basically guilt/persuade you into buying the drugs, playing on the 'better to be safe than sorry' mentality that a lot of people have.

Someone tell me this is wrong... because I really can't get my head around it.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/newsart...llow-drug-companies-to-access-patient-records

Wasn't there a big fuss over this a year ago? I vaguely remember him coming out and saying this would never happen or maybe I'm not recollecting properly.

In any case, who didn't see this coming? It's the pharma companies wet dream, they've wanted this for years and they knew it would happen as soon as the Tories came in.

Also, interesting that he reveals this during the Olympics so it doesn't feature as the headline any where. :/

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Cant find anything elsewhere about that Pharma data thing, but wouldnt surprise me. Was clear whatever fudging of the employment numbers was gonna have to dry up or be entirely pre-Olympics focussed as well.

Oh and out comes Big Dave with some fucking stupid "more sports in schools so everyone can be an Olympic medalist" populist push that will actually fool all the cretinous "I'm so proud to be British now" facebook people into thinking he does listen and care. Fuck all that science and creativity, looks its sports on the telly that we're winning! I despair.

CHEEZMO™;40764109 said:
Sounds like we're on the right path. Let's continue our current policies!
Come on 3 million! We can do this, the work programme works!

I'm honestly thinking of doing drug trials. It'd allow me to move out or die, which is an improvement on the current situation.

Oh and out comes Big Dave with some fucking stupid "more sports in schools so everyone can be an Olympic medalist" populist push that will actually fool all the cretinous "I'm so proud to be British now" facebook people into thinking he does listen and care. Fuck all that science and creativity, looks its sports on the telly that we're winning! I despair.

Didn't this government cut the school sports funds programmes? We had our budget cut drastically. Absolutely dyer.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh good. Remember when the country voted in a majority government based on their election promises of totally fucking with every aspect of the NHS?

Can just see the "whoops we left all the names on" civil servant fuckup or whatever in the headlines.

Didn't this government cut the school sports funds programmes? We had our budget cut drastically. Absolutely dyer.

Yep.

But cuts, you see, are necessary. To spur growth. Somehow. I don't know, but we're committed to this plan now and by golly we'll fucking plunge further into the shit until we're past our eyeballs.

Also approved the sale of 20 school fields (out of 21 applications). Apparently the schools will have access to other sports facilities. Probably something like a trip to a swimming pool on a coach once every 3 months.

There has been a transition from 'curative' medicine to 'preventative' medicine in recent years. Essentially they market a potential disease/affliction and basically guilt/persuade you into buying the drugs, playing on the 'better to be safe than sorry' mentality that a lot of people have.
I disagree with you there, I think people are on way too many "for life" treatments. We're very much in a "course of medication" rather than preventing the need for medication. Big pharma runs healthcare. It used to be about prevention more in the past I believe. Back when there were concepts like "a family doctor"

I'm not cool with data being given out in this way. Big pharma can do their own research. Stuff like that should be opt in, not opt out.

Dambrosi

Banned
So, we now have a £4.3 billion trade deficit, a fifteen-year high, and most of the near-80% increase from May was from non-EU countries - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19194176

The UK's trade gap widened sharply in June, to its worst level since comparable records began in 1997.

The deficit, which measures how much imported goods and services exceed exports, rose to £4.3bn in June from £2.7bn in May.

The rise was driven by a 4.6% month-on-month fall in the value of UK exports to eurozone and non-European Union countries.

The deficit with non-EU nations rose to £5.2bn in June from £3.9bn in May.

Economists and analysts greeted the figures with dismay.

BNP Paribas analyst David Tinsley said that even allowing for the reduced number of working days in June - because of the extra bank holiday from the Diamond Jubilee celebrations - the numbers were "very weak".

"There's clearly been a big impact from the low number of working days which has directly affecting shipments," said Mr Tinsley.
And the government's friends are already making excuses for it. Lovely.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, did anyone see Micheal Crick on Channel 4 News putting the figurative boot in to GAF's favourite soon-to-be-ex-Tory MP, Louise Mensch, in a special report to mark her last day on the job? Made her sound like a right ego-driven bitch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the proposed changes to the NHS constitution...it's the Tories, is anyone really surprised that they want to privatize everything? Bunch of fucking corrupt criminals.

Jackpot

Banned
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

British workers are "among the worst idlers in the world", a group of Conservative MPs have claimed.

The authors include Elizabeth Truss and Dominic Raab, both tipped to be promoted in a future reshuffle.

"Too many people in Britain prefer a lie-in to hard work," they argue.

Unions described their comments as "ridiculous" and said the most serious challenge facing the economy was a "severe lack of jobs".

The UK, they argue, is being held back by an excessive public sector, substantial public sector pension liabilities and a welfare system which does not provide sufficient incentives to work.

"Once they enter the workplace, the British are among the worst idlers in the world," they write. "We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor."

Under the EU Working Time Directive, most employees cannot be forced to work more than 48 hours although the UK has an opt-out enabling people to request to work longer if they choose.

The coalition government is currently planning to raise the retirement age for men and women to 67 by 2025, eight years earlier than previously planned.

In contrast, new French president Francois Hollande has said he wants to lower the retirement age from 62 to 60 for some workers.

motherfuckers. Coming from the people still on one of the longest vacation breaks a job can have.

JRF has been saying in their studies that productivity is down, it's like it has become the new fad to talk about in lieu of unemployment levels remaining so high, and many people ending up in part time jobs instead of full time work. But when people are an inch from losing their jobs and salaries are going down it's no surprise they don't take any pride in it.

All eyes are surely focused on Hollande, the slightest indication of his approach working and austerity must fall. I really admire his move on pension age.

e. I also resent the idea that citizens are just nodes in their networked economy. Like unless we satisfy the specific topic of debate we're idle and worthless and should be punished. Heaven forbid that people contribute in other ways to their families, communities and economies. There's no big picture to politics, which is why the healthcare and welfare reforms will fail. Our fascination with what can be measured, and what can be targeted has left us unable to see the root causes of problems in our society. The media just pumps out the statistics like there is some real thoughtful consideration going on in these people's heads. God knows what they'll do if they manage to get the deficit down. Maybe we can go back to the war on terrorism.

Walshicus

e. I also resent the idea that citizens are just nodes in their networked economy. Like unless we satisfy the specific topic of debate we're idle and worthless and should be punished. Heaven forbid that people contribute in other ways to their families, communities and economies. There's no big picture to politics, which is why the healthcare and welfare reforms will fail. Our fascination with what can be measured, and what can be targeted has left us unable to see the root causes of problems in our society. The media just pumps out the statistics like there is some real thoughtful consideration going on in these people's heads. God knows what they'll do if they manage to get the deficit down. Maybe we can go back to the war on terrorism.

It's that fundamental question - is the point of government to increase our wealth or our happiness? Are we living to work or working to live?

Are we comfortable banking the increases in productivity that technology affords and working less for the same income?

Dambrosi

Banned
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

motherfuckers. Coming from the people still on one of the longest vacation breaks a job can have.
FUCKING TORIES AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHGGH

You wonder why I'm a rabid anti-Tory when you've got utter douchebags like these C-words representing them in positions of power? Show me even ONE Labour guy who'd be stupid enough to say bullshit like this in public!
No, Gordon Brown doesn't count, that was a private convo caught by a mic-related wardrobe malfunction.

Dambrosi

Banned
New post for new news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19329758

The UK government unexpectedly had to borrow money in July, traditionally a good month for tax receipts.

Borrowing to cover the gap between spending and revenue was £600m in July, the Office for National Statistics said. There was a surplus of £2.8bn in the same month a year earlier.

The Treasury blamed disappointing corporation tax receipts.

Labour said the government's efforts to try to cut the deficit had "choked off the recovery".

Analysts suggest the government could end up borrowing about £30bn more than last year, when official forecasts had suggested borrowing would fall this year.

The Office for Budget Responsibility, the official UK economic forecaster, said there was still "significant uncertainty" about the outlook for borrowing this year.

Four months into the financial year the government has borrowed £44.9bn, £9.3bn higher than the same period in 2011. That excludes banking interventions and the one-off boost in April from a transfer of Royal Mail pension assets to the public sector.

The OBR had predicted that borrowing on the same measure would be £120bn for the whole of the financial year, down from the £125bn borrowed last year.
So much for fiscal conservatives, eh? That's what you get when you've got no growth. So, stagflation for the next five years at least?

If that becomes a trend, Labour will be rubbing their hands with glee

We'll have hard right Tories calling for business tax cuts, which won't wash well with the Lib Dems or a large sect of the public, and we'll have Labour saying their plans haven't worked and have exacerbated the situation. Actually, I suppose we've had the latter for quite a while now...

Interesting times. I think Krugman has been right about us all along tbh.

Have we actually achieved anything with austerity yet?

We've cut and cut and cut yet are still borrowing silly amounts? Shiza Minelli.

I wonder how well the Olympics did financially? Ticket revenue and Olympic park revenue must have been high, but businesses elsewhere must surely have suffered.

Top Bottom