• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Stamp duty on AIM abolished. Very tasty.

Corporation tax reduced by 1p, down to 20p. Aligned with basic income tax rate and small business rates. Down from 28p back in 2010.

0.142% bank balance sheet tax, an increase, should raise £3.5bn per year.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Great. Single rate of corporation tax.

So I end up paying (actually paying) the same rate that Amazon doesn't pay. Right.

avaya

Yeah, let's just print more money and pay people whatever they ask for.

Did you go to the Robert Mugabe school of economics or something?

Oh straw man.

In a world of zero-bound rates where is the inflation going to come from when you print?

Rates zero. Private sector borrowing still falling. This is a pure Balance Sheet recession that will continue for at least a decade till the only entity that can step-up to the plate and inject stimulus does so. Otherwise keep believing your neoliberal fairy tales.

kitch9

Banned
Oh straw man.

In a world of zero-bound rates where is the inflation going to come from when you print?

Rates zero. Private sector borrowing still falling. This is a pure Balance Sheet recession that will continue for at least a decade till the only entity that can step-up to the plate and inject stimulus does so. Otherwise keep believing your neoliberal fairy tales.

You appear to have all the answers.

You must be right. Right?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The government will name and shame companies who promote themselves as tax avoiders.

I'd like a little more than that, Osbourne.

Scottish unemployment rate below the "UK" average and youth unemployment pretty substantially below the "UK" average:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-21857630

Should play well with the SNP.

Are Scots more, or less, likely to vote for independence if Scotland is doing better than the UK average next year?

I can't work it out. Surely the SNP will present it as evidence that Scotland can "go it alone". However, won't be people be more inclined to stick with the status quo when times are good?

Ooh, nice scheme. "Help to Buy"

£3.5bn worth of shared equity home, and up to 20% worth of equity loans.

Very nice scheme, good for home ownership.

Mortgage guarantee. Sounds dangerous. I'm not sure we want out own British sub-prime crash.

kitch9

Banned
To be fair you've hardly given a rebuttal past "Robert Mugabe"

I'm happy to admit that until worldwide confidence improves there are no answers, and doing stuff like building houses and paying people to live in them for free or a 2p vat cut won't really help.

We need to encourage foreign investment and build our skills base in the medium to long term so we have money pouring in instead of printing money and it pouring straight out. Short term tinkering will achieve nothing.

defel

Are Scots more, or less, likely to vote for independence if Scotland is doing better than the UK average next year?

I can't work it out. Surely the SNP will present it as evidence that Scotland can "go it alone". However, won't be people be more inclined to stick with the status qo when times are good?

The SNP can spin it both ways.
1. Look, we're performing so much better than the rest of the UK. This is evidence that we can go it alone.
2. We're performing so much worse than the rest of the UK. Westminster is holding us back and we'll be better-off if we go it alone.

I think the second argument would be a stronger one with the voters.

I think that a lot of people don't think it's OK that broadcaster's are regulated, especially given that by far the largest one in terms of viewership and reach is also state owned. I've seen the argument put forward - though it's not one I personally put much stock in - that because TV and Radio station's run using the infrastructure of the state (though whether the government can really lay legitimate claim over the nebulous concept of "the airwaves" is doubtful in my opinion, 4G auctions or not) that it has a responsibility to govern what is on it,

I think people could infer from this that ofcom were a government body. I just wanted to clarify.

And calling the BBC "state-owned" is a little disingenuous, it's also independent but it's funding is regulated by the government.

The SNP can spin it both ways.
1. Look, we're performing so much better than the rest of the UK. This is evidence that we can go it alone.
2. We're performing so much worse than the rest of the UK. Westminster is holding us back and we'll be better-off if we go it alone.

I think the second argument would be a stronger one with the voters.

I agree with you on that last point. Especially easy to do with a Tory government. Say they're only looking out for English interests, something something Thatcher, something something North Sea Oil. It practically writes itself.

Walshicus

I can't work it out. Surely the SNP will present it as evidence that Scotland can "go it alone". However, won't be people be more inclined to stick with the status quo when times are good?

I was in Edinburgh last month for my Stag. We'd gone to The Jam House on the second night and were seated placed between two Hen parties. Let me tell you that at no point in your life will you get more attention from women than when on your Stag... ;)

Anyhow, ended up chatting to a few about politics (or rather they started talking about independence as soon we got onto our respective backgrounds) and what came up quite a bit with those unsure was how they were notionally in favour but worried about being able to afford it. I think confidence in the Scottish economy is going to be a huge factor in the referendum. If the SNP can keep Scotland on track while England falters...

Ed Milliband is an utter prat.

Budget day, he is the leader of the opposition and he makes stupid petty jokes about Osborne rather than discussing the details of the Budget. Useless and laughable.

All Gromet has got is new and recycled soundbytes.

If they cant analyse and pick apart a budget then there's no hope for them.

It's actually making me angry that he is standing there giving no analysis 10 minutes in. Pathetic.

I hope Labour has some great scheme or reason for holding onto this dead weight.

Volotaire

This is the British parliament. How do you want to define "running amock"?

Well, I've never held MP's in high regard. But I don't want to to hear the adress being screamed by, even with my anarchist beliefs.

Ed is wasting valuable time to actually question the budget in a analytic manner. Shame.

some nice measures but overall its just shuffling the deckchairs, needed a massive (10bn a year or more) increase in government infrastructure spending starting next week not 3bn a year extra in 2 years time

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
some nice measures but overall its just shuffling the deckchairs, needed a massive (10bn a year or more) increase in government infrastructure spending starting next week not 3bn a year extra in 2 years time

Must admit I don't see the imperative behind this thing about "infarstructure spending". Seems to me there's a bigger chance of improving the economy in Manchester by bombing the M6 (therefore necessitating a drive towards a more localised economy) rather than building a high speed rail link (which would just suck more stuff into London).

Meadows

Banned
Must admit I don't see the imperative behind this thing about "infarstructure spending". Seems to me there's a bigger chance of improving the economy in Manchester by bombing the M6 (therefore necessitating a drive towards a more localised economy) rather than building a high speed rail link (which would just suck more stuff into London).

Are you smoking crack?

We're all interdependent. It's 2013, not 1713.

SteveWD40

Manchester is doing pretty well economically, BBC brought a ton of media jobs with them (and work for local agency's) and there are buildings going up, new retail developments, redevelopment of St Peter Square, potential re-routing of the city and pedestrianising Albert Sq etc...

I just had to dip into my dwindling savings today to keep a roof above my mum and dads head, just like last month, the month before that and probably next month as well. So whatever is happening to the economy, will some cunt sort it out please.

Manchester is doing pretty well economically, BBC brought a ton of media jobs with them (and work for local agency's) and there are buildings going up, new retail developments, redevelopment of St Peter Square, potential re-routing of the city and pedestrianising Albert Sq etc...

Yeah, Manchester has a regional GVA almost as high as London. :O

Yeah, thanks IRA, can you bomb Bolton as well please.

Top Bottom