• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Garjon

Well there go my ambitions of doing a Masters. Will be interesting to see who voted against.

That is such a close vote.

Wes

venison crêpe
Like how all the tv/radio media are reporting the police injuries and not the injuries of students.

Shameful.

Chinner

Banned
Wes said:
Like how all the tv/radio media are reporting the police injuries and not the injuries of students.

Shameful.
yeah, i gotta say the police, and especially that woman who is the spokesman, are utter scum.

APZonerunner said:
I think the disrespect shown to Churchill's statue is disgraceful. He is one of the greatest men our country has ever produced, and he was all about protecting the interests of the people.

He was a racist & a sexist.

I once went to a protest years ago for the lolz and got kettled with the climate campers till fucking midnight and was freezing my nuts off by the end. the riot police are meanies

I am actually quite impressed by these students, at least it goes against my general opinion of young peeps being apathetic

Meadows

Banned
to be fair to Churchill, most people back then were racist and sexist. Ghandi? Bit of a bellend. Did he do good things, yes, generally.

Cerebral Assassin said:
He was a racist & a sexist.

I don't want to sound like an arse, but that was the 40s. It was what it was. He was still amazing, and had he been born in a more tolerant time he would've been more so, I'm sure.

Wes

venison crêpe
Chinner said:
yeah, i gotta say the police, and especially that woman who is the spokesman, are utter scum.

She was basically saying "Wait until everyone watches the evening news and judges the situation on edited highlights!"

Garjon said:
Well there go my ambitions of doing a Masters. Will be interesting to see who voted against.

That is such a close vote.

Don't let this stop you dude. If its a Masters worth doing, you'll be able to afford the repayments, and if you are a low earner you will be paying less (per month, not overall) under the new system.

Also if the Masters is one year, bear in mind this new fee system doesn't start until 2012/13... get in there and do it!

Meadows said:
to be fair to Churchill, most people back then were racist and sexist. Ghandi? Bit of a bellend. Did he do good things, yes, generally.

What was wrong with Ghandi? As for Churchill his post-war dealings with the break-up of the Empire is enough to leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

Garjon

radioheadrule83 said:
Don't let this stop you dude. If its a Masters worth doing, you'll be able to afford the repayments, and if you are a low earner you will be paying less (per month, not overall) under the new system.

Also if the Masters is one year, bear in mind this new fee system doesn't start until 2012/13... get in there and do it!
Thank you, unless my situation changes I'll most probably go for it. The increased salary would probably tip me over the £23k threshold, but it's a damn sight better than doing what I'm doing now.

Meadows

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
What was wrong with Ghandi? As for Churchill his post-war dealings with the break-up of the Empire is enough to leave a bitter taste in the mouth.

He was very racist towards black people.

kharma45

I've no doubt that Northern Ireland will follow England's lead in raising fees. I wouldn't be surprised if Queen's had a word in the ear of Stormont over it.

What a shame that a few twats have ruined this for the thousands of people protesting peacefully...Anyone watching all the 'hard' kids on sky squaring off to the riot police?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Cerebral Assassin said:
Wow, just looked into this, shocking.

Don't worry! Back then everybody else was, so that makes it ok.

Chinner

Banned
comparison doesnt make sense as our political is much more to the left/middle than yours. our conservatives are probably more similar to your democrats than the republicans.

Garjon said:
Well there go my ambitions of doing a Masters. Will be interesting to see who voted against..

does anybody know how much the fees for masters degrees are going up by? I feel like I am in a grey area as I study architecture which is a 7 year course (essentially an undergraduate degree + a couple industry years + two year postgraduate diploma) I am on my first year out in industry and I don't know if I'll be considered a returning student when go back to do a diploma/masters or if I'll have to be at the mercy of these new fees.

Parl

The bill a net benefit then?

Ironically, I think the biggest damage caused has been by uninformed protesters (bit like how Greenpeace caused climate change). Not to say that all the protesters are misinformed (although interviews would lead you to think so), but the large spreading of myths like poor people being shut out of uni, or it putting a burden on the poor, or even that the loan is this dreadful burden in the first place, will only serve to weaken good legislation due to probably turning off some teenagers away from going to university from this spread of mythology.

On the other hand, nice to see young people (and I'm young myself) have it in them to go out an protest. Unfortunately, they were protesting against something good for them and future generations.

Killamangiro said:
does anybody know how much the fees for masters degrees are going up by? I feel like I am in a grey area as I study architecture which is a 7 year course (essentially an undergraduate degree + a couple industry years + two year postgraduate diploma) I am on my first year out in industry and I don't know if I'll be considered a returning student when go back to do a diploma/masters or if I'll have to be a the mercy of these new fees.

have you not arranged loans for all 7 years?

If you have you will be fine.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Parl said:

Ironically, I think the biggest damage caused has been by uninformed protesters (bit like how Greenpeace caused climate change). Not to say that all the protesters are misinformed (although interviews would lead you to think so), but the large spreading of myths like poor people being shut out of uni, or it putting a burden on the poor, or even that the loan is this dreadful burden in the first place, will only serve to weaken good legislation due to probably turning off some teenagers away from going to university from this spread of mythology.

On the other hand, nice to see young people (and I'm young myself) have it in them to go out an protest. Unfortunately, they were protesting against something good for them and future generations.
No.

Wes said:

Shameful.
To be fair, there hasn't been any comparable injuries on the part of students. Apparently one police officer is in hospital with serious neck injuries, and the video they showed of students attacking the horse's leg causing the police officer to fall off is disgusting.

As for the vote, thought the majority would be bigger but at least it wasn't a majority of five like it was with the introduction of tuition fees. But what is it about students that cause politicians to cower in fear? It's not like they even old enough to vote, and when they are, most of them don't. Of all my friends and contemporaries, only a handful actually voted in the 2010 election. Most of them have no interest whatsoever in politics.

curls said:
Don't worry! Back then everybody else was, so that makes it ok.
The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

Yes Churchill was racist, sexist, anti-Catholic, possibly anti-semitic, a social darwinist and an early proponent of eugenics. But he was also the right man for the times. For his uncompromising belief that Britain should remain an independent self-governing nation and for never wavering once in the face of cabinet ministers contemplating/advising surrender in Britain's darkest hour, we should be eternally grateful.

Parl said:

I really agree. I think alot of anger has been whipped up by the leftist NUS. When really what they're proposing is a far worse system that will lead to even less satisfaction. They have made up myth after myth and it has led to thousands of young people being wrongly turned off.

You will pay more. most people will pay it back at a steady rate only when they have a job above average wage.

Its not unfair. its not pricing people out of education.

Wes

venison crêpe
Killamangiro said:
does anybody know how much the fees for masters degrees are going up by? I feel like I am in a grey area as I study architecture which is a 7 year course (essentially an undergraduate degree + a couple industry years + two year postgraduate diploma) I am on my first year out in industry and I don't know if I'll be considered a returning student when go back to do a diploma/masters or if I'll have to be at the mercy of these new fees.

I'm pretty sure any changes to tuition fees only effect people who start in September. As in, it's their first year on the course. If you're already a student you carry on paying at the rate which was the custom when you were in your first year too.

Well at least that is how it was about 4 years ago when they upped the fees then.

Walshicus

APZonerunner said:
I don't want to sound like an arse, but that was the 40s. It was what it was. He was still amazing, and had he been born in a more tolerant time he would've been more so, I'm sure.
It may have been the 40s but I can think of another politician at the time who was generally in favour of gassing people, and he isn't half as well remembered.

Subliminal said:
have you not arranged loans for all 7 years?

If you have you will be fine.

No because the arrangement for us is quite flexible in that most students change their university from their undergraduate degree (part I) and their diploma (part II) and again there's more flexibility in terms of how long a break you decide to take between part I and II. I am on the first of my two years out but as I don't have any university fees to pay I haven't had any loan arrangements made for the next two years. However I do intend on doing my part II diploma at some point

Sage00 said:
It's not unfair because...? You say so?

Because:

1. From a universities perspective they get more moniez. (especially after the cuts by this and the last government)

2. From a student perspective, you pay back later and at a better rate. NO ONE has to pay upfront (the old system meant that people who did part time courses had to pay up front)

and ofcourse its always gonna be a hell of a lot fairer than a graduate tax for all people

Parl

Subliminal said:
I really agree. I think alot of anger has been whipped up by the leftist NUS. When really what they're proposing is a far worse system that will lead to even less satisfaction. They have made up myth after myth and it has led to thousands of young people being wrongly turned off.

You will pay more. most people will pay it back at a steady rate only when they have a job above average wage.

Its not unfair. its not pricing people out of education.
My main issue with the rise in tuition fees was that it could turn some people off, even if that decision was made irrationally (which is more likely now because of the irresponsible propaganda). However, participation continued to rise under Labour's rise in tuition fees.

It's progressive, never paid by students (unless they choose to), paid by graduates, especially those who benefit from it most.

Society benefits from an individual's contribution to society after graduation, though the graduate benefits more. Society pays a part, the graduate rest. University graduates are on average of higher income than those without degrees, so if taxpayers shoulder most of the burden, that would make it regressive.

Only people who do well pay. With taxation, the better you do, the more income tax you pay. These proposals follow that same basic rule.

Subliminal said:
Because:

1. From a universities perspective they get more moniez. (especially after the cuts by this and the last government)

2. From a student perspective, you pay back later and at a better rate. NO ONE has to pay upfront (the old system meant that people who did part time courses had to pay up front)

and ofcourse its always gonna be a hell of a lot fairer than a graduate tax for all people

Doesn't the threshold also rise with interest rates?

kharma45 said:
The Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square has apparently set on fire now.

appalling behaviour.

This should not be how the student voice gets heard.

It just makes students look selfish and violent

MarshMellow96 said:
Doesn't the threshold also rise with interest rates?

Yeah. I think so.

Top Bottom