• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

RedShift

avaya said:
BSkyB has been overwhelmingly positive for the TV landscape in this country for consumers. This can't be denied.

I deny it. Nearly all their programming is imported from the US rather than produced here, they aren't putting the ridiculous amounts of money they take from their subscribers into British productions.

phisheep said:
Oh, you underestimate the stuff done by the various ITV stations. I worked for Granada all those years ago, and whatever people might think about Coronation Street and Brideshead, the long-running World in Action was phenomenal and influential and also a joy to watch. Other ITV companies had similar successes - it wasn't all the BBC (and predated channel 4 by a long way).

Indeed - although you've now gone and made me nostalgic for the likes of What the Papers Say, World in Action, Death on the Rock, The World at War, Sapphire & Steel etc. etc. etc.

None of which would have been possible without ATV, Thames et al. Shame to see the state ITV is in today.

Wes

venison crêpe
Spot the difference: Today's (22nd) Daily Mail carries the headline "The latest WikiLeaks revelation: 1 in 3 British Muslim students back killing for Islam and 40% want Sharia law." If that sounds awfully familiar, it should: back in 2008 the paper revealed that "one third of British Muslim students say it's acceptable to kill for Islam," and that "40 per cent want to see the introduction of Islamic sharia law in Britain."

The Mail in 2010 claim the figures are from a "a survey revealed by the WikiLeaks' publication of U.S. diplomatic cables," but in fact the cables simply repeat a survey published in the, er, Daily Mail two years ago.

Guardian link

avaya

Sky expanded the amount of programming on TV - they gave people choice. Their price competition with cable has driven prices very low. Their price competition with telecom providers has also contributed to lower broadband prices.

It doesn't matter to me if they import American shows here, since American shows tend to be better anyway, save documentaries and BBC output. I really couldn't give a shit about British drama productions. I doubt many people do.

They have also helped turn the Premier League into the richest league in the world, with their insane bids for TV rights.

SmokyDave

Wes said:
What's this radical, liberal, homosexual, confucian, left-driven world coming to when an upstanding newspaper can't report the same story in two different disingenuous flavours, years apart?

I tell you, you do a tiny bit of misleading to further your agenda and all these bleeding hearts come crawling out squealing about 'truth' and 'fairness'.

Makes me sick.

Mr. Sam

The comments cherry-picked from the Mail's comment section gave me a good chuckle, particularly the second and last one:

"Who now can say - without irony - "tiny minority of extremists"?"

"Ever remember the law called TREASON? I am so sick of PC UK and EU. This is why UK is a hotbed for terrorism!"

"And we're still fighting terrorism where again? Oh right Afghanistan perhaps we should target schools in the UK."

"The hatred that these people demonstrate is sickening to see and would not be tolerated if it were Christians behaving so in a Muslim country."

"In which case.... kick OUT the 40% and the 1 in 3 as We DON'T need or want them here."

"Its not that this is not know rather our gutless Governments failure to do what is necessary about it!"

"they are not content with just ruling their own countries - they want to rule the world!"

"the Quran commands them to either destroy or convert us."

"A perfect reason to vote BNP."

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
avaya said:
Sky expanded the amount of programming on TV - they gave people choice. Their price competition with cable has driven prices very low. Their price competition with telecom providers has also contributed to lower broadband prices.

Choice, eh? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T2zUEiVQU4

It doesn't matter to me if they import American shows here, since American shows tend to be better anyway, save documentaries and BBC output. I really couldn't give a shit about British drama productions. I doubt many people do.

Maybe the reasons for yours and others' antipathy towards non-BBC British productions is because Sky are fucking inept at original programming. (Outside of Sports, which they are very good at - and they better be) Perhaps if they offered some quality content rather than outbidding their rivals for foreign shows the British scene would be far better.

They have also helped turn the Premier League into the richest league in the world, with their insane bids for TV rights.

Irrelevant to the TV market - they are incredibly anti-competitive in the sporting sphere and reduce the amount of choice available to people. Why does it matter if the Premier League is the richest league, anyway?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Mr. Sam said:
The comments cherry-picked from the Mail's comment section gave me a good chuckle, particularly the second and last one:

I love how he seems to think everyone shares the same opinion as him, But allot of BNP's supports spout the same shit, I know as I had to work with one for 6 months.

In a big case of irony the office building we worked in also held the Citizenship test centre, he ended up getting fired to putting BNP stickers on the test centre computers.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
killer_clank said:
Meanwhile, in Scottish politics, it looks like the election campaign will be based on personal insults, at least on Labour's part. Ed Miliband may be doing alright to improve the image of the national party, but the scottish one still seems to be just as bad.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/gray-faces-snp-backlash-after-salmond-insult-1.1076603

Ugh.

You have no idea just how much the Unionist parties (Labour in particular) truly hate the SNP. It's proper literal hate too, not just for the cameras. They despise the SNP.

But yeah, Labour candidates could hail Satan, jerk off and skin kittens alive on Buchanan Street and they'd still win most of the Central Belt. I hate the fact that many Scots still give unquestioned loyalty to the Labour party.

Walshicus

industrian said:
You have no idea just how much the Unionist parties (Labour in particular) truly hate the SNP. It's proper literal hate too, not just for the cameras. They despise the SNP.
In Labour's case you have to wonder if it's jealousy that the SNP has been able to pursue a left-wing direction for Scotland that's been entirely more genuine and successful than what they've been able to accomplish.

industrian said:

But yeah, Labour candidates could hail Satan, jerk off and skin kittens alive on Buchanan Street and they'd still win most of the Central Belt. I hate the fact that many Scots still give unquestioned loyalty to the Labour party.

This is what bitters me the most about it. Forget what's good for the country, if it's an SNP policy you can guarantee every Labour MSP will vote against it.

Last week I was watching First Ministers questions, and all Iain Gray asked about was silly questions about independence from quotes off the SNP website that had nothing do with Scotland's issues at that moment in time (I swear Labour seem to talk about independence much more than the SNP), whilst there was issues with snow, and lifeguard stations being closed by the westminster government. The leaders of the other parties asked much more reasonable questions.

It's pathetic. By all means have party rivalries, but when it actually threatens to affect proposals that are good for the country, then it's gone too far.

kharma45 said:
Gove gets a bit of a slaughtering on 5 live

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12171281

oh god its cringeworthy... the guy is so aggressive I actually felt sorry for Michael Gove :lol

"he'd wipe the floor with you, what you're saying is laughable"
"really.."

"you're fiddling with the dashboard michael, leave it alone!"

I actually kind of respect Gove for remaining a part of the discussion and allowing the guy to say his piece... its actually an interesting discussion between the two men. I wonder if he'd allow himself to be drawn into a public argument like that on television!

Chinner said:
not really a discussion because gov is too busy being patronizing and trying to twist his words around.

I don't think they really understood one another and I think Gove was just so embarrassed that he was just trying to find a way to 'win'... which yeah, isn't great..

the guy wasn't saying basic literacy and numeracy shouldn't be taught, he was saying that beyond that the subjects shouldn't be given any further emphasis and kids should be able to identify the things in education that they themselves enjoy. Not necessarily saying 'leave all education choices up to the child' as Gove was choosing to interpret it, but rather - don't make the teachers foist certain subjects upon children and drill them on those subjects as though they're more important, purely for the purposes of improving league tables.... just let the teachers teach everything as they see fit without as much government meddling, and let the children develop. He referred to Gove's ideal for schools as being like factories churning out clone worker bees, there might be something to that -- a regimented approach to improving league tables could well make both staff and student hate the work and the environment, and stifle creative development..

I'm sympathetic to his argument really, but I don't think Gove got it.

Govey is on QT tonight.

So I've missed this English Batchaheheleller thing entirely - so correct me if my understanding is wrong.

BBC News says "The English Baccalaureate, or EBacc, was announced in summer 2010, and will, in future, be awarded to pupils attaining A*-C GCSE passes in maths, English, two science qualifications, a language, and geography or history."

So despite me (ok, what, 4 years ago, but still fairly recently) getting about 12 A*-B GCSEs, because I didn't do either geography or history - instantly boom, it's as if I don't matter any more in comparison to people who got this new magic award thing.

Sure, I did some of the arts (not that they're important, lol), but then does this mean that statistics, a second English are considered worthless by this thing?

I don't like the sound of the Baccalrurey. Sounds like some private school wankery thing anyway.

Wes

venison crêpe
Just when I was starting to think Labour might be on the road to being decent, they fillibuster a referendum.

Heaven forbid the people get the opportunity to vote on something.

Wes said:
Just when I was starting to think Labour might be on the road to being decent, they fillibuster a referendum.

Heaven forbid the people get the opportunity to vote on something.

Its because the Conservatives packed boundary reform into their AV referendum bill.. it is percieved as disadvantaging Labour so they are trying to pressure changes to the bill. Probably won't happen, but I can kind of see their point -- why do boundary changes and a vote on AV have to be linked? They are seperate considerations surely..

Walshicus

radioheadrule83 said:
Its because the Conservatives packed boundary reform into their AV referendum bill.. it is percieved as disadvantaging Labour so they are trying to pressure changes to the bill. Probably won't happen, but I can kind of see their point -- why do boundary changes and a vote on AV have to be linked? They are seperate considerations surely..
Exactly. Now Conservatives get to accuse Labour of holding the process up, and Labour get to accuse Conservatives of combining two unrelated issues to their strategic benefit.

Wes

venison crêpe
Oh yeah I had forgotten about the boundary changes.

Urgh all sides can share my disdain equally for now then.

Empty

johnson was pretty rubbish but at least he wasn't ed balls.

still, it's good for labour. balls is a very strong opponent when it comes to politics and should give the government lots of trouble in such a high profile role.

Wes

venison crêpe
Sad thing is from the longer than usual (in these scenarios) statement I really think this is down to a distressing personal reasons, and you know the papers are going to be speculating and ripping his life apart trying to find out.

Of all the sods in Labour, I always found him bearable but he was poorly matched for the Shadow Chancellor position. Placed there purely to cockblock Balls.

Wes

venison crêpe
If he had an affair with one of his aides, the guy is a complete twat.

Edit: Looks like it was the wife with her bodyguard. Poor guy :(

Mr. Sam

10 O'Clock Live with Mitchell, Carr, Brooker and Laverne is on at, well, 10 o'clock tonight. Thought this seemed an appropriate place to post it. Seems like Alternative Election Night: The Redux. Hopefully they'll use Brooker correctly this time.

Wes

venison crêpe
Andy Coulson resigns from No 10.

Hilarious week in politics. Which story is bigger? You get the feeling they've told Coulson to leave now whilst the Shadow Cabinet story is still quite big (and potentially jusicer because of the scandal)

About time. There's no way he didn't know what was going on at News of the World IMO; I think there's a lot more to come out of that story too. I believe someone came out recently to add further fire to the phone hacking allegations?

And like he's said - "when the spokesman needs a spokesman, it's time to go"

Chinner said:
better than clegg and cameron.
I think you mean better for Clegg and Cameron.

A high-profile deficit denier and Brownite who was at the heart of the treasury that presided over economic collapse. Well, the attacks just write themselves. Sure Labour might get some short-term gain with pugnacious Balls attacking the government constantly, but in the longer term Labour have managed to appoint someone who is, quite amazingly, even less likeable than Osborne. There are rumours floating around that it was an aide of Balls who was divulging details about Johnson's personal life to the press at a time when Johnson was politically weak in order to force him out. A nasty piece of work indeed.

Mr. Sam said:
10 O'Clock Live with Mitchell, Carr, Brooker and Laverne is on at, well, 10 o'clock tonight. Thought this seemed an appropriate place to post it. Seems like Alternative Election Night: The Redux. Hopefully they'll use Brooker correctly this time.
I had high hopes for this show, but I found it kind of juvenile and boring really and turned it over to newsnight half way through.

As for Andy Coulson, aside from the guardian and Labour tribalisits, nobody cared when he was in no.10, and nobody cares he has gone. He was a spin doctor who controlled the government's message, he didn't make policy and nor was he a minister. A pointless scalp that is unlikely to do any harm to the government. Cameron should have just got rid of him earlier and appointed another ex-Murdoch employee instead. Still, at least this hacking scandal obsession distracted a bit of attention away from implementing unpopular cuts.

Zenith

Banned
blazinglord said:
I had high hopes for this show, but I found it kind of juvenile and boring really and turned it over to newsnight half way through.

Weird thing was I couldn't stop thinking how unsuitable the set was for the show. Brooker's pre-recorded pit and Mitchell's rehearsed bits were the best. Carr's opening jokes about all the different news stories were terrible. Way worse than his 8 out of 10 cats openers.

As for Andy Coulson, aside from the guardian and Labour tribalisits, nobody cared when he was in no.10, and nobody cares he has gone.

Disagree completely. Media will too. It was way more than the Guardian and a subset of Labour calling for his head. Silly to try and portray it that way. He was the closest thing Cameron had to Alaister Campbell and it was obvious from the get-go that he'd been involved in the hacking. Impossible for him not to be as editor. Cameron hired a criminal.

Zenith said:
Disagree completely. Media will too. It was way more than the Guardian and a subset of Labour calling for his head. Silly to try and portray it that way. He was the closest thing Cameron had to Alaister Campbell and it was obvious from the get-go that he'd been involved in the hacking. Impossible for him not to be as editor. Cameron hired a criminal.
I mean the ordinary men and women voters don't care. As someone who has more than a passing interest in politics, I've never had much interest in Campbell or Coulson. I doubt voters with nil interest in politics in between elections knows what a 'director of communications' does let alone name him. It might mean something to Fleet Street until a replacement has been appointed, but other than that. It really isn't a big deal. Also it is worth bearing in mind that people already hold the assumption that tabloid journalists are amoral douchebags who [rightly or wrongly] do illegal activities in search for scoops. I certainly do. As a consequence, I don't think anyone really found the News of the World hacking scandal really that shocking.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Coulson: don't care. Never have cared for government press spin doctors whoever they are, but one more or less is no odds. I do care that governments think they need them, but in the light of the recent press wolfpack stuff I can sort of see why, at least some of the time. But isn't this what Whips used to do?

Johnson: do care. Gave every impression of being a decent man at the heart of difficult politics. Doesn't matter all that much whether he was out of his depth in economics or whether he disagreed with Ed M. Decentness counts. As does a semblance of honesty and honour. I'll miss him, and hope he comes back.

Balls: do care. The man is poisonous. And dangerous, uncontrolled, overambitious. I have absolutely no idea whether as shadow chancellor he will be good or bad for labour/tories/liberals - and that really ought to worry somebody. Worries the hell out of me.

I actually found the interview with the chap about tuition fees quite good, largely because any quips didn't make it uncivil, and its a subject that some members of the shows audience were probably genuinely ignorant on...

I think they need to take a good look at the Daily Show and see how Jon Stewart makes the news funny. The worst parts were the entertainment news spoof with Lauren and the Tunisian holiday ad with Jimmy. Those were awful... the best bits were probably David Mitchell's local news rant, and Charlie Brooker's newswipey Sarah Palin summary.

Meadows

Banned
-0.5% fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. I know it snowed...but it shouldn't be down that much. Some analysts said even without the snow it'd be 0% or -0.1%. :( Service industry is oversaturated.

Oh, and this is obviously hugely anecdotal, but at XXX (where I work as a delivery driver) we've been getting more orders than last year, and making more money.

But worryingly...very worryingly...a lot of these orders are for chavvy families in poor areas, who aren't using any vouchers, (i.e. about £13 a pizza) and paying on, you guessed it, credit cards. There's an area here in York called Tang Hall, which is essentially an underclass council estate and the people here are all people with moderately nice cars families of 5, nice furniture, and they all order needlessly expensive (if you use online vouchers it can be reasonably cheap, about £6 a pizza) pizzas, all without having a job.

We need a change of attitude about debt in this country or we'll be facing an American style crisis. Oh and these parents need to stop giving their kids unhealthy food, which is gonna cost the NHS billions in a few years.

Wes

venison crêpe
Meadows said:
where I work as a delivery driver.

I keep hearing the rising fuel costs are liekly going to cause more blockades in protest unless the government do something to ease the load. Have you heard anything, being inside the industry?

_50936351_gdp_sector_jan11_gra464.gif

My brother is in construction and this is the first year in his time doing that that he'd gone abroad for work... everyone I know who knows someone in the building trade has been saying about how hard it is for work in that sector at the moment, and there it is in big bold yellow...

Really concerning. Gotta wonder what measures this government have introduced are actually going to help - because April onwards is when the public services cuts are going to hit, and I'm not seeing how or where the private sector is going to compensate.

I can't imagine that a Labour government would have helped matters either, in fact delayed action from them could have dented confidence and recovery as well. We are about to reap what we've sewn...

Top Bottom