• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Sounds like one, smells like one, is one!

Perhaps I'll do some research on him once I get home

There's just a slight irony that most people whom criticise Nick Robinson do so because he has a Tory-bent.

I think the BBC do very well to be non-partisan. I'm sure I read an article along while back that showed there have been more blues than reds within the organisation but you know individualism and greed (Tory subjects) do not make good telly.

avaya

The tribal right wing always parrot the left wing BBC nonsense. the comments section on online seem to have been invaded by Tory central office/BNP/mail readers. So transparent.

Meadows

Banned
1749: Fergus Clarke in London tweets: #Clegg disappearance from Commons unimpressive. I voted for the guy and agree with him on #EU treaty but absence can never be #leadership.

1749: Fergus Clarke in London tweets: #Clegg disappearance from Commons unimpressive. I voted for the guy and agree with him on #EU treaty but absence can never be #leadership.

The media and Labour are using Nick Clegg to beat the government over the head with ad hominems at the moment, but the truth is - he's not the leader, so leadership shouldn't be expected of him on this one! He's the deputy prime minister in a cabinet-led government, of which - his party is the junior partner. Clegg doesn't take issue with the principles the government went into the negotiations with (protect Britain's interests) - he's just not sure that they've been protected in the best way. Its perfectly acceptable for him to feel that way, whatever narrative the media would like to create - deputies and senior ministers have always had disagreements with their premiers... darling, prescott, brown and blair among the more recent.

He's voiced his disappointment quite strongly and caused a public rift, I think that's as much as can be expected to be honest... his absence today was to stop the opposition from even dumber ad hominem attacks. If anything though, I would have liked to have seen Cameron recognise Clegg's pedigree in this area. In Clegg, he has a bi-lingual, European-parliament-experienced deputy, who might have proved useful in these negotiations, rather than just calling him as an after-thought at 4am in the morning.

Meadows

Banned
The media and Labour are using Nick Clegg to beat the government over the head with ad hominems at the moment, but the truth is - he's not the leader, so leadership shouldn't be expected of him on this one! He's the deputy prime minister in a cabinet-led government, of which - his party is the junior partner. Clegg doesn't take issue with the principles the government went into the negotiations with (protect Britain's interests) - he's just not sure that they've been protected in the best way. Its perfectly acceptable for him to feel that way, whatever narrative the media would like to create - deputies and senior ministers have always had disagreements with their premiers... darling, prescott, brown and blair among the more recent.

He's voiced his disappointment quite strongly and caused a public rift, I think that's as much as can be expected to be honest... his absence today was to stop the opposition from even dumber ad hominem attacks. If anything though, I would have liked to have seen Cameron recognise Clegg's pedigree in this area. In Clegg, he has a bi-lingual, European-parliament-experienced deputy, who might have proved useful in these negotiations, rather than just calling him as an after-thought at 4am in the morning.

Make no mistake, him not being there is sending out a lot of messages, all of them bad for the Liberal Democrats. Really, really disappointed in Nick today, that was a very poor decision.

as most expected, we're not protected from the eu legislating against the financial sector, we will however, be more impotent to make any changes thanks to dave.

http://www.europeanvoice.com/articl...s-are-not-shielded-from-regulation/72932.aspx

sarkozy has also dug in and claimed there are now two europes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16138375

one is the 26 and the other? its us. good job, dave. it's all a matter of perception from here on in, most people already seem to think we've left the eu, it's only a matter of time before the real effect of this decision hits home.

PJV3

Make no mistake, him not being there is sending out a lot of messages, all of them bad for the Liberal Democrats. Really, really disappointed in Nick today, that was a very poor decision.

I think he's useless, but the only thing i think about today is he's tired and under a lot of pressure from his party and didn't feel up to it. He looked terrible on BBC news. He has to be wondering if the coalition is worth it by now at a personal level.

The Tories have outplayed him on every issue. AV(not even what they wanted) has to go to a referendum while the tory changes go straight through etc, he's a diplomat not a westminster politician at heart.

Chris R

USA citizen here, just saying your House of Commons blows our Senate out of the water. I record the Senate on my dvr and I'm always happy when the House of Commons comes on because it is just fun to watch. I think more people would be interested in politics here if it was that lively. Also, John Bercow is one funny dude.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
USA citizen here, just saying your House of Commons blows our Senate out of the water. I record the Senate on my dvr and I'm always happy when the House of Commons comes on because it is just fun to watch. I think more people would be interested in politics here if it was that lively. Also, John Bercow is one funny dude.

oKJBM.jpg

Bercow <3

kitch9

Banned
as most expected, we're not protected from the eu legislating against the financial sector, we will however, be more impotent to make any changes thanks to dave.

http://www.europeanvoice.com/articl...s-are-not-shielded-from-regulation/72932.aspx

sarkozy has also dug in and claimed there are now two europes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16138375

one is the 26 and the other? its us. good job, dave. it's all a matter of perception from here on in, most people already seem to think we've left the eu, it's only a matter of time before the real effect of this decision hits home.

Jesus dude, quit with the hyperbole and relax. Whilst there is two currencies there will always be two Europes, there always has been, they were saying this same crap when we decided not to join the Euro. Its not as if the EU is going to start blocking trade with us

All it shows is how used everybody is to us just towing the line. Sarkozy can say what he likes, if he doesn't get voted back in its all for nothing, and the guy in the lead to take over from him agrees with us. The German chancellor has already said they want to resume talks and get back on track.

The EU can force regulation on us all it wants but the voters will only stand so much and a referendum will be forced as its been legally promised, which may spark further referendums across Europe as there are a lot of EU sceptics out there in other EU countries too. Swiss banks aren't exactly struggling not being part of the EU, and plenty of Europeans eat swiss chocolate so I guess trade must be ok with the EU.

Anyway this is a medium term problem, there is the slight issue of the Euro being on life support and the medicine appearing to be running out to deal with first.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

There's a big old difference between regulation (which wouldn't be necessarily a bad thing, especially if it applies across the EU) and punitive taxation, which would, I believe, require treaty changes that would need unanimity.

Besides, this is a tactical stage, not necessarily an endpoint - so there's really no point getting overfussed about it at this stage.

Meadows

Banned
A lot of the reason that it's 1v26 is that the 26 REALLY need to make the EU work and sort out their shit. Mark my words, if the Eurozone starts to look like a lost cause a lot of people will be jumping on our boat.

Rourkey

A lot of the reason that it's 1v26 is that the 26 REALLY need to make the EU work and sort out their shit. Mark my words, if the Eurozone starts to look like a lost cause a lot of people will be jumping on our boat.

yer were the only ones that aren't committed by treaty to the euro, everyone else needs to be at the table discussing the eurozone's new rules, whether they are in it yet or not.

Maybe now is the time to let them crack on building their own gallows.

Just before I head out to the airport (we're flying to Shanghai and I don't know whether I will be able to get access to my VPN from there) I will try and sum up the situation to best of my knowledge. This is the news we have been getting over the past few days since the veto:

1. Tories lead with YouGov and Ipsos/MORI and are on even terms with ComRes (see UK Polling Report).
2. EdM yet to come up with a sensible position on whether he would or wouldn't have signed.
3. Incoming French President (Hollande) says he would not have signed and will be looking to rewrite the treaty.
3. Finnish Parliament says PM should not have signed pact without approval, motion not going to pass with required supermajority.
4. Dutch in a similar position, PM under siege from own party members and opposition.
5. Irish referendum (which would be a resounding no) looking more likely by the day.
6. Sweden looking less and less likely to pass measures.
7. Czechs looking at it and not sure as to what they are being asked to sign up to, not a good sign.
8. Hungarians wary about it and possibly maybe don't want in.
9. German opinion poll points to an even split between leaving and staying in the EU for first time in a long time (ever?). 46% say they want to leave vs 45% wanting to stay.
10. Italian bond yields heading back over 7% (peaked at 6.76% today, up from 5.76% last week). This is the most important one, nothing in the proposed Treaty addresses the short term funding problems facing Italy, Spain and France.
11. Rumours (compelling ones) that the Bundesbank is not going to fund further (via IMF transfers) ECB asset purchases as they have run out of viable collateral to loan.
12. Still underlying worries over the legalities of not having all 27 members signing on the dotted line. Treaty changes and new treaties require all EU members to sign, QMV cannot be used to make treaty changes. That is usually used for regulation and minor legislation changes.
13. Poles and Germans say we would be welcomed back to the table and there is still time for Britain to get "what it wants". Poland currently holds the EU presidency role so they would have to instigate such a move.

All in all, the doom and gloom I have just read in the this thread is misplaced. Britain is not leaving the EU, in fact by wielding the veto Dave has pretty much made sure we are going to stay in it. UKIP will now no longer be able to attract moderate EU-sceptics and be stuck with the crazies (about 1-2%). Now that the public have seen a leader take the fight to the EU they will be happy to stay in it, previously the problem has always been one of they say jump and our PM says how high. Seeing Dave say "no" has shown Britain is ready to fight its corner and the public will be willing to give it a go as long as they know the PM will fight for our national interest.

Concessions from the EU are coming, we have been talking to some contacts we have in BIS and the Treasury and they say the Germans and French are shit scared we are going to leave which would mean an extra €9bn a year in EU funding commitments from them which they can ill afford. We will sign the treaty, it will just be a radically different proposal by the time we do so.

what alternate world are you living in zomg?

there are no concessions coming, instead we're being hammered by all sides in europe. france, germany, holland. there's talk of us being punished by removing the rebate, the ecb head said we were to wrong to veto any deal, people in the city are also coming out and saying the use of the veta was misplaced.

so please tell us, where are you getting the information that europe will make concessions? your sources who happen to know every little detail thats happening behind the scenes?

youll forgive me if i dont put any stock in those sources.

as for the italian bond prices, those are irrelevent until italy has to sell bonds, so constantly bringing them up is pointless and twisting facts to fit your agenda. come back and complain about the bond prices when italy actually decide to sell bonds at that price.

dalin80

Banned

there are no concessions coming, instead we're being hammered by all sides in europe (1). france, germany, holland. there's talk of us being punished by removing the rebate (2), the ecb head said we were to wrong to veto any deal (3), people in the city are also coming out and saying the use of the veta was misplaced (4).

so please tell us, where are you getting the information that europe will make concessions? your sources who happen to know every little detail thats happening behind the scenes?

as for the italian bond prices, those are irrelevent until italy has to sell bonds, so constantly bringing them up is pointless and twisting facts to fit your agenda. come back and complain about the bond prices when italy actually decide to sell bonds at that price.

1, no were not.
2, no they cant
3, the guy who would benefit the most criticising the decision to say no, shocker.
4, some yes by no means all.

It would be suicidal for the germans or the EU as a whole to try to punish Britain they vitally need a good relationship to have any chance of weathering this storm sanctions or other such methods would be utter stupidity and the suggestion of them are complete nonsense.

Rourkey

When the Luxembourg group or whatever they call themselves moan about the nasty selfish Brits how come they don't mention that DC did agree last week to pump €30bn into the EZ via the IMF?

kitch9

Banned

there are no concessions coming, instead we're being hammered by all sides in europe. france, germany, holland. there's talk of us being punished by removing the rebate, the ecb head said we were to wrong to veto any deal, people in the city are also coming out and saying the use of the veta was misplaced.

Jesus man, grow some nuts and stop freaking out over what in the grand scheme of things is going to be nothing.

Its even been agreed by Labour that if we don't get concessions we shouldn't sign, and those guys give in to EVERYTHING the EU ask!

Rourkey

how about today? 6.47%

Rourkey

I live in the real world, unlike you it seems.

Hammered by who, a couple of Eurocrats and MEPs, big fucking deal. They wield no power. The people that matter, the German Finance Minister - Wolfgang Schauble, has said we would be welcomed back to the table and there is time for our conditions to be met. Rumpy Pumpy, Barrosso and one French MEP doesn't constitute being hammered from all sides.

I work in the City, believe me there is a sense of relief that Dave used the veto, not just because he has protected Britain from some of the crazier proposals (EU oversight of national budgets) but also because now the EU knows that Dave will stand up for Britain's national interest. Previously under Brown and Blair they knew this wasn't the case and would just railroad changes that were bad for us knowing that the sitting PM wouldn't bat an eyelid.

On my sources, the only one that is self sourced is the rumour about the Bundesbank, and that comes from a German fellow who used to work for the Buba until last year so he is very well linked with the current Buba leadership. The rest are from statements from EU leaders. Finland are now out is the latest we have heard on our wires http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2011/12/pm_finland_must_have_a_say_in_bailout_fund_3100771.html so 26 becomes 25.

On bonds, you mean like a couple of hours ago? Italy had to get away a few billion worth of 5y debt, they needed to give the highest ever interest rates (6.47%) since the beginning of the Euro. If this continues for more than a few months Italy will truly be insolvent as their interest payments top 10% of GDP. Putting that into context, the UK sold £3bn worth of long 10y debt and investors were given just 2.2% interest. Today's spot rates are 2.11% for Uk 10y and 6.75% for Italian 10y.

Italy's debt maturity average has gone down since last year from 13 years to about 8 years, UK debt maturity average has gone up from 17 years to 20 years over the past year as the Treasury has taken a very cautious view of the near future and funded long terms at super low interest rates. It means that Italy are being forced to sell short term debt (1-5 years) to keep the interest rates low, but all that does is pile up the pressure for the future. In 2015/16 Italy has a predicted net cash requirement of 12% of GDP, the UK has a predicted net cash requirement of just over 4% of GDP in the same year.

Why do people put so much stock in apparently not pleasing other European countries? It seems the main argument of the anti-veto crowd is that 'omg we have alienated France and Germany, we're doomed!!' There is such a thing as self-preservation and doing things that are in our own interest. Furthermore, Britain is quite capable of holding its own. I can't ever recall a time when France or Germany implemented something that wasn't in their interest for the sake of Britain. Indeed, France's refusal to reform CAP and Germany's insistence on a 'fiscal union' and penalties for countries that spend beyond their means according to Germany's fiscal policy show that they have no problem putting national interest first.

PJV3

Zomg, Ed Milliband and the Labour party have been quite clear actually, Milliband would not have signed if Britains interests were being ignored, his argument is that Cameron did none of the normal pre-summit work, not informing our permanent rep to the council of our position early enough* etc. in other words Cameron could have avoided the drama.

As for the future, nobody knows how this is all going to work out, my feeling is Cameron may have come to the right deciscion but for the wrong reasons.

*To be fair that may have been due to coalition differences delaying things, but the government should be more on the ball by now.

Rourkey

Why do people put so much stock in apparently not pleasing other European countries? It seems the main argument of the anti-veto crowd is that 'omg we have alienated France and Germany, we're doomed!!' There is such a thing as self-preservation and doing things that are in our own interest. Furthermore, Britain is quite capable of holding its own. I can't ever recall a time when France or Germany implemented something that wasn't in their interest for the sake of Britain. Indeed, France's refusal to reform CAP and Germany's insistence on a 'fiscal union' and penalties for countries that spend beyond their means according to Germany's fiscal policy show that they have no problem putting national interest first.

Exactly, France and Germany have been poncing around for 6 months trying to establish a position that was in both their interests (that being Germany doesn't have to write and cheques to the south and France doesn't have to write any cheques to their banks), and we're supposed to cave in the first time we are allowed into the discussions!

Why are we putting so much stock in these countries anyway? France hasn't even started on the reforms it needs which are far deeper than ours and their banks are still treating Greek debt as guaranteed. There in for a major strife as far as I can see.

Rourkey

Interesting programme by Robert Peston about perils of over-spending, emerging competition from the BRICs (especially China) and the drawbacks of a large financial services sector.

Feels a bit brief in a few areas but a lot to squeeze into an hour and a good watch. Interesting input from people like Joseph Stiglitz and Sir Dyson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b018jshh/The_Partys_Over_How_the_West_Went_Bust_Episode_2/

Robert Peston is the business world's bogey man at the moment, ive had a few clients moan about him and his doomsaying.

PJV3

Bye,bye England.

An independent Scotland would shift much of its attention away from the UK to become a member of the Scandinavian circle of countries, with its own army, navy and air force modelled on its Nordic neighbours, according to detailed plans being drawn up by the SNP.

Don't leave :(, If they had better weather i would be tempted to move, but its miserable enough here in the 'sunny' south east.

Angry Fork

What's the best way for a US citizen to learn about how UK politics work, who's involved etc.? I'm interested just for fun. It seems like you guys do actual debates and it's more interesting even if the people are still jackasses. I wish we did debates here it's just a bunch of old guys going up to a stand, saying their little 3 minute speech then sitting down.

What's the best way for a US citizen to learn about how UK politics work, who's involved etc.? I'm interested just for fun. It seems like you guys do actual debates and it's more interesting even if the people are still jackasses. I wish we did debates here it's just a bunch of old guys going up to a stand, saying their little 3 minute speech then sitting down.

Democracy Live on the BBC site has explanations of all the parliaments and chambers and video of everything that happens in them. Dunno if you can watch the footage outside the UK though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/default.stm

PJV3

I really hope Scotland piss off out of the union. For England's sake. NI too.

You're slowly turning into Mr Grumpy-head, you will be puncturing kids footballs next. There's now't much wrong with Scotland besides the weather and haggis.

Meadows

Banned
You're slowly turning into Mr Grumpy-head, you will be puncturing kids footballs next. There's now't much wrong with Scotland besides the weather and haggis.

The way devolution was handled makes things unsustainable in the way they're currently structured.

Scotland can fuck right off. I don't care anymore. The only thing that concerns me about them leaving is the sharing of the profits from the North Sea Oil and whether the NI, English and Welsh will still receive oil/money from it. After all, investment in that project has came from all of those places. . .not just Scotland.

Their MP's should NOT vote on issues that only concern England. Sammond voting against free University Education in England and then voting FOR it in Scotland is total, total, bullshit.

Meadows

Banned
At the end of the day, Scotland is going to isolate itself from the UK (stupidly), make its market woefully uncompetitive and increase its reliance on the public sector, which will steadily push the country more and more into debt until they ask the EU/UK for a bailout and ask the UK for re-absorbtion. Even Salmond knows that, hence devo-max.

Scotland can fuck right off. I don't care anymore. The only thing that concerns me about them leaving is the sharing of the profits from the North Sea Oil and whether the NI, English and Welsh will still receive oil/money from it. After all, investment in that project has came from all of those places. . .not just Scotland.

Their MP's should NOT vote on issues that only concern England. Sammond voting against free University Education in England and then voting FOR it in Scotland is total, total, bullshit.

Huh? The SNP MP's abstain on English matters, usually. I'm pretty sure they did vote against English tuition fees and Foundation hospitals though.

PJV3

I don't think it works like that though, Independent nations usually take their assets for themselves, and anyway most of the big money from North sea oil was made in the 80's(i think).
Anyway a glorious almost-English parliament awaits, filled to the rafters with Tories, so the English of the home counties can finally do whatever it is they want.

I don't think it works like that though, Independent nations usually take their assets for themself, and anyway most of the big money from North sea oil was made in the 80's(i think)

There'd be a share of the national debt Scotland would inherit obviously in return for taking the assets, but all of the oil is in Scottish waters so I don't see how England could have any reasonable claim to it.

I don't think it works like that though, Independent nations usually take their assets for themself, and anyway most of the big money from North sea oil was made in the 80's(i think)

Its not a Scottish asset though. Each country in the UK technically has contributed to it. There is absolutely no way in hell that the British government would just wave goodbye to that asset just because some guys up north voted in favour of pissing off. There would have to be a trade off at the very least.

Upon obtaining independence, Scotland would have to take on their fair share of national debt and then reimburse the remaining UK members for taking 100% possession of the asset. That would be acceptable.

I'd also want them to buy out the remaining British taxpayers stake in Scottish banks too, for the price we paid for them.

At the end of the day, Scotland is going to isolate itself from the UK (stupidly), make its market woefully uncompetitive and increase its reliance on the public sector, which will steadily push the country more and more into debt until they ask the EU/UK for a bailout and ask the UK for re-absorbtion. Even Salmond knows that, hence devo-max.

LOL seriously? A growing, educated population, with some of the best universities in the world and some of the most viable energy resources in the world, fossil and renewable, and a large tourism industry, and you're acting as if it's some basketcase that can't run it's own affairs properly? Come on. That argument doesn't wash in this day and age, and just makes people eager to prove these views wrong.

PJV3

There'd be a share of the national debt Scotland would inherit obviously in return for taking the assets, but all of the oil is in Scottish waters so I don't see how England could have any reasonable claim to it.

A twelth of the debt is the plan, not too bad i suppose.

defel

Thats making an awful lot of assumptions. I dont want Scotland to leave the UK, I think that all home nations are stronger to stick together. The main support for the devolution of Scotland stems from a frustration that many people in England, Scotland, Wales and NI share; the centralization of politics in London as well as the unfair political and and financial distribution between the home nations has created resentment towards Westminster. This problem extends beyond the home nations to regions within the nations. The north of England is at a disadvantage in that policymakers spend most of their time in the south of England and as a result bias towards southern England policies exist. The whole debate about HS2 or a new London airport is an example of this as well as the favourable attitude politicians generally have to the London financial sector. I dont want devolution but I think the way the Scots can be placated is by a fair redistribution of powers to the home nations and, while we are at it, a general redistribution of power away from Westminster.

LOL seriously? A growing, educated population, with some of the best universities in the world and some of the most viable energy resources in the world, fossil and renewable, and a large tourism industry, and you're acting as if it's some basketcase that can't run it's own affairs properly? Come on. That argument doesn't wash in this day and age, and just makes people eager to prove these views wrong.

Oh yeah, and they'd need to reimburse the UK for any of the renewable energy resources that exceeded the Scottish contribution to their construction, research etc. The bill goes up and up.

PJV3

Thats making an awful lot of assumptions. I dont want Scotland to leave the UK, I think that all home nations are stronger to stick together. The main support for the devolution of Scotland stems from a frustration that many people in England, Scotland, Wales and NI share; the centralization of politics in London as well as the unfair political and and financial distribution between the home nations has created resentment towards Westminster. This problem extends beyond the home nations to regions within the nations. The north of England is at a disadvantage in that policymakers spend most of their time in the south of England and as a result bias towards southern England policies exist. The whole debate about HS2 or a new London airport is an example of this as well as the favourable attitude politicians generally have to the London financial sector. I dont want devolution but I think the way the Scots can be placated is by a fair redistribution of powers to the home nations and, while we are at it, a general redistribution of power away from Westminster.

Labour tried bringing in regional assemblies for England but they weren't a popular idea, Which i find odd after the terrible Thatcher years.

Top Bottom