• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
UGH FUCK JSA

Date I started work: 10th April.

Last day I signed on: 3rd April.

Date I should be paid up to: 9th April.

Letter: "You did not sign on for the 10th of April so you will no receive any pay from the 29th March onwards"

This is despite me notifying them of me obtaining employment. That's roughly £75 they owe me and are not paying.

Have you watched Threads from the 80's? Its about the lead up to and after a nuclear attack on Britain during the Cold War. It's the most grim and depressing shit I've ever seen. Plus it's set in the 80s, thereby tripling the bleakness of it.

Actually don't watch it if you haven't. It'll ruin your night.

:lol

Yeah, I'm familiar with Threads although I've never sat down and watched it all properly. I should do one day, I can handle bleakness and people always go on about how good it was. Can't be any worse than Survivors, although that was depressing for different, less intended reasons.

I just got looking after someone set off this fucking irritating beeping noise for like 15 minutes straight and I described it to a friend as sounding "like the 4 minute warning", before realising I didn't actually know what that sounded like. :lol

Have they got a way of warning people over the Internet?

Yeah, it's called social networking and forums. :p

:lol

Yeah, I'm familiar with Threads although I've never sat down and watched it all properly. I should do one day, I can handle bleakness and people always go on about how good it was. Can't be any worse than Survivors, although that was depressing for different, less intended reasons.

I just got looking after someone set off this fucking irritating beeping noise for like 15 minutes straight and I described it to a friend as sounding "like the 4 minute warning", before realising I didn't actually know what that sounded like. :lol

Yeah, it's called social networking and forums. :p

I remember that just Youtube'd it. Saw a few episodes way back. Nah, threads is definitely bleaker. I watched it in the context of a history module on the Cold War, so I had a slight sense of watching it back when it was released must have been like. Goes quite far into the (then) future too, 2000s I think.
The worst thing about thinking of a nuclear attack is how in an instant everything turns into shit. No communications, no clear picture of what is going on. No idea about friends or family. No food or water supplies, no sanitation, martial law, looting, anarchy, radiation sickness, loss of all other infrastructure. It would take decades to even begin to repair the damage from even a small attack.

Shit, that photo album above! Its like looking at cleaned up pictures from 20 years ago. Can't see Kentpaul though?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Been watching the estate for hours and I think one of the guys from the earlier episodes has died. I'm pretty upset now he seemed like a good bloke. Meh this sucks I feel a mind depression feeling taking over me.

iPod/music till my bird falls asleep then battlefield FTw

It's kind of why I can't take the zombie apocalypse scenario seriously even in a daft hypothetical fashion, because we can do so much worse without having the fucking dead start reanimating. It's just grim without relent.

And when I said "worse", I meant in terms of quality, because Survivors (the recent one, natch) was a turd. :p

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
you guys should watch Threads, a bbc docu-drama about nuclear war. its fucking grim.

Il check it tomorrow if I need to pass an hour.

found out about some LAN sessions in my area, joined there forums n shit i ain't lan gamed since 2004 (cnc generals)

Suairyu

Banned
What I love about that Threads episode is that the first half seems to have less to do with nuclear war and more the trials and tribulations of the working class northerner. By the time the bomb hits we can only see it as a metaphor for Southern oppression.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
you guys should watch Threads, a bbc docu-drama about nuclear war. its fucking grim.

We had to watch it in Modern Studies in high school (during the late 90s). We studied nuclear warfare extensively for a few weeks, and near the end was the time when the UK and USA bombed Serbia. I remember there was one girl in our class who puked her guts out when she overheard a conversation between the teacher and I about the war. She had no idea about what was going on but just assumed that Serbia had nukes and they were going to bomb us. Quite funny.

BTW: the most fucked up scene in Threads is the bit with the cat. I have no idea how they filmed that scene. IIRC it looked too real to be a puppet.

Other films in the same way as Threads are The War Game (you can watch it here) and the American-made and therefore not scary The Day After.

daviyoung

Banned
She holds your payslip in one hand and your balls in the other. You get to keep one. Choose wisely.

I saw a real-life witch in Southampton yesterday, almost ran her over.

Go_Ly_Dow

ItyyU.jpg

SmokyDave

Speaking of sarky women, the following took place as I played Forza last night:

Me: Goddamn! That drift was orgasmic!

Her: Evidently not since you're still awake.

Fucker.

Suairyu

Banned
Dave's a one-and-done man? Somehow I expected more. I've built up this mythos of you in my head as a legendary, hairy-chested master of the bedroom.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
She's sarky as well :(

My reasonable questions get met with put-downs. I'm just gonna avoid her until contract renewal time.
If your questions are reasonable you shouldn't be put off. I mean, if it affects your continued employment the contact with HR is important and she shouldn't be behaving like that.

SmokyDave

Dave's a one-and-done man? Somehow I expected more. I've built up this mythos of you in my head as a legendary, hairy-chested master of the bedroom.

I'm a six-shooter with a missus that has a masterful command of sarcasm.

We also have a running joke with one of her mates that I have a micro-penis. We haven't told her mate that it's a joke though. We're a little perverse.

Suairyu

Banned
If your questions are reasonable you shouldn't be put off. I mean, if it affects your continued employment the contact with HR is important and she shouldn't be behaving like that.
I'm blowing it out of proportion, in sure. I have an irrational unease around that one. Doesn't happen with any of the real authority figures.

Suairyu

Banned
Guys I want to meet new people but not in a bar. Thinking about joining some clubs or classes. What would you guys recommend? I was thinking drawing maybe - I've always wanted to be good at that - but I dunno if that would promote much classroom banter.

What's fun and chatty?

Guys I want to meet new people but not in a bar. Thinking about joining some clubs or classes. What would you guys recommend? I was thinking drawing maybe - I've always wanted to be good at that - but I dunno if that would promote much classroom banter.

What's fun and chatty?

A lot of people seem to like salsa for this kind of thing.

SmokyDave

bro i i aint just been trying so like its the fatties or crazies who approach me. i'm in a pretty good state nowadays so may just start going up to girls and being like hello there and name dropping smokeydave.

Dude, you're not ready for the kind of action that will get you.

SteveWD40

We had to watch it in Modern Studies in high school (during the late 90s). We studied nuclear warfare extensively for a few weeks, and near the end was the time when the UK and USA bombed Serbia. I remember there was one girl in our class who puked her guts out when she overheard a conversation between the teacher and I about the war. She had no idea about what was going on but just assumed that Serbia had nukes and they were going to bomb us. Quite funny.

BTW: the most fucked up scene in Threads is the bit with the cat. I have no idea how they filmed that scene. IIRC it looked too real to be a puppet.

Other films in the same way as Threads are The War Game (you can watch it here) and the American-made and therefore not scary The Day After.

It's funny that despite TDA having just as bleak an ending (pretty much everyone dies of radiation sickness) it seems less so because:

It's really sunny all the time (Kansas)
Steve Guttenberg is in it

Also Threads you can relate to, if you grew up in the North in the 80's it all looks familiar, the idea that we were potentially close to that outcome is chilling. Threads also ended with that harsh as fuck "flash-forward" where we were essentially medieval again.

SteveWD40

Also worth watching is the heart-breaking 'When The Wind Blows' by Raymond Briggs.

Yeah, I talked about that with my Gran, she said most of the people her age who lived through WW2 would have probably had the "blitz spirit" thing going on and ended up very dead very quickly.

Just put my foot in it in the office. Somebody was saying how 39% of people in the country are still against gay marriage. Somebody else was arguing that it couldn't be that high, so I rather helpfully chipped in with 'You're forgetting that most of the people outside London are backward fucks' Most people were quick to have a go as there are loads of northerners in my dept. :lol

I meant towns/cities but the London bit slipped out as there's always some Northerner baiting going on here.

Oo

You do know that American airline staff refer to Manchester as "Gaychester" right? like we could not be more gay, we have a gay village, mardi gras, pride parade's, the works.

Oh.

Still, super gay here.

Yeah, it's pretty darn gay up there. Would still say it's just behind Brighton and London though. They are ultra gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom