• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
I tried to sleep but in the end I couldn't because I'd drunk too much caffeine. Oh god I feel like shit and I feel the pressure of deadlines looming. Might have to request they hire some temporary help for next week.

I'm so green it's unreal. It's not even complicated shit; I've just never had to do it before so organising it and my own time isn't been done as efficiently as it should be. How do you already-been-working-for-ages people manage this? Were you all this rubbish and stressed when you first began your jobs?

I'm going to be a nervous, miserable wreck come Friday night. Won't exactly be the most attractive of partners for the lover.

Mr. Sam

Were you all this rubbish and stressed when you first began your jobs

Always and forever. I always grind through somehow. Why, just this morning somebody (not me) deleted my client notes. Fortunately, it was the start of the day, only a few people have called, and so not too many people will be pissed off.

Morning!

I thought I'd come back in and save you all from the continued sausage-fest. This place needs a woman's touch, I know Kill Bill pops in now and again but it's not enough!

So did everyone have a lovely long double bank holiday weekend?

It's my last day today, I don't have much to do so I'm just going to pretend to look busy. I hope I get a nice leaving present....

Really looking forward to going to Fort William tomorrow, even thought the weather is going to be awful.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Morning!

I thought I'd come back in and save you all from the continued sausage-fest. This place needs a woman's touch, I know Kill Bill pops in now and again but it's not enough!

So did everyone have a lovely long double bank holiday weekend?

It's my last day today, I don't have much to do so I'm just going to pretend to look busy. I hope I get a nice leaving present....

Really looking forward to going to Fort William tomorrow, even thought the weather is going to be awful.

Dont forget to use the ski lifts at glencoe.

daviyoung

Banned
Haven't been to Fort William since I was a wee laddie, but I remember it being really boring as all hell. Just mountains and goats.

Mull is awesome though, get a ferry there, and Oban at least has something going on. Loch Ness > Loch whatever Fort Williams's on.

Haven't been to Fort William since I was a wee laddie, but I remember it being really boring as all hell. Just mountains and goats.

Mull is awesome though, get a ferry there, and Oban at least has something going on. Loch Ness > Loch whatever Fort Williams's on.

Well we're going up for the UCI World Cup Downhill Mountain Biking so won't be much time for sightseeing! I doubt we'll be bored, but thanks for the tips anyway!

Kentpaul

Got paid!!! Thinking of changing my cigarette brand. Anyone got recommendations? I'm currently a marlborough man.

mayfair_cigarettes_JT_discount.jpg

Start smoking what the cool cats smoke

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I tried to sleep but in the end I couldn't because I'd drunk too much caffeine. Oh god I feel like shit and I feel the pressure of deadlines looming. Might have to request they hire some temporary help for next week.

I'm so green it's unreal. It's not even complicated shit; I've just never had to do it before so organising it and my own time isn't been done as efficiently as it should be. How do you already-been-working-for-ages people manage this? Were you all this rubbish and stressed when you first began your jobs?

I'm going to be a nervous, miserable wreck come Friday night. Won't exactly be the most attractive of partners for the lover.

So wait, this is your first job? And yet you're all about the unpaid overtime and 5 am finishes? I hope you're getting paid a decent wage, otherwise you're being screwed hard. A media job does indeed sound nice, but I never realised how much piss-taking was involved in it.

Is it worth it?

daviyoung

Banned
Well we're going up for the UCI World Cup Downhill Mountain Biking so won't be much time for sightseeing! I doubt we'll be bored, but thanks for the tips anyway!

Oh I see. Never been to a fest there, fantastic venue for outdoor sports though so it'll be a blast.

Suariyu, what's your position or grade? Junior? Temp? You're expected to ask for help if you need it, and report potential problems when you notice them. Carrying too much on your shoulders too soon shows great enthusiasm, but also sets you up for a massive fall.

When they come back to the ship and Charlize Theron flamethrowers the scientist boyfriend

I'll have it please.

Sure thing, just give me your sort code, account number, and the key will be transferred over shortly Sir.

fonejacker.jpg

Seriously though, just PM your Steam name, I'll send it tonight.

On campus atm, back in my old haunt in the library, feeling more calm now. Got nearly 4 hours to perfect my Econometrics knowledge.

Stayed in a hotel last night, and someone had nicked the TV remote.....wtf?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh I see. Never been to a fest there, fantastic venue for outdoor sports though so it'll be a blast.

Suariyu, what's your position or grade? Junior? Temp? You're expected to ask for help if you need it, and report potential problems when you notice them. Carrying too much on your shoulders too soon shows great enthusiasm, but also sets you up for a massive fall.

It shows that you're a sucker that's for sure. The trouble is, if people expect that's your workload on 'normal' they will expect even more. Sounds like Suariyu is being taken advantage of for sure.

daviyoung

Banned
It shows that you're a sucker that's for sure. The trouble is, if people expect that's your workload on 'normal' they will expect even more. Sounds like Suariyu is being taken advantage of for sure.

A good boss will reward you for going above and beyond, but it really depends on you, your work and your management. Being treated like a dogsbody isn't good for anyone, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from appearing to be too eager. Just be observant.

Kentpaul

Suariyu is stacking piles of extreme cash sky high. He's working the hours an american would work that's his only problem.

Stop being american Suariyu and embrace the 32 hour British work week.

Suariyu is stacking piles of extreme cash sky high. He's working the hours an american would work that's his only problem.

Isn't that like, part time hours? Most offices I've worked have been around 37, I'm currently contracted to do 37.5 but often do nearer 40. The bloke drives trucks for a timber merchant and normally does around 50.

We've said this to him before: they'll think more, not less of someone that raises they're issues. Well, they might not think more of you, but you might think more of yourself if you maintain some dignity about it.

EDIT: Listen to Walt, he's the man!

Suairyu

Banned
Dudes I have no qualms asking for help. I do it daily. It's more I still stress like fuck because DEADLINES and shit.

It's not my first job, but it is my first 'professional' job if you understand.

I only do the unpaid overtime because I'm not using the hours I am paid for well enough. It probably adds up to five extra hours a week, and a lot of that is spent waiting for 6pm so I can call Americans.

Really I should get my work done each day on time I'm just trying to juggle three or four things. And I suddenly realise my note taking system is rubbish and really I need to spend a whole day going back to square one and re-making all the notes but I don't have a day.

Anyway, today I'm leaving on time. I have American to call but fuck it, too tired. Won't have my suave business phone voice. Going to go to a cocktail bar and have something to make me relax, maybe a dark cherry flip, then go to bed.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I'm making mad (for me) stacks of cash too, trick is not to bust a sweat while you do it :p

Dudes I have no qualms asking for help. I do it daily. It's more I still stress like fuck because DEADLINES and shit.

It's not my first job, but it is my first 'professional' job if you understand.

I only do the unpaid overtime because I'm not using the hours I am paid for well enough. It probably adds up to five extra hours a week, and a lot of that is spent waiting for 6pm so I can call Americans.

Really I should get my work done each day on time I'm just trying to juggle three or four things. And I suddenly realise my note taking system is rubbish and really I need to spend a whole day going back to square one and re-making all the notes but I don't have a day.

Anyway, today I'm leaving on time. I have American to call but fuck it, too tired. Won't have my suave business phone voice. Going to go to a cocktail bar and have something to make me relax, maybe a dark cherry flip, then go to bed.

These are great points you make, for sure. The trick is definitely to work smarter rather than harder, using efficiencies and robust systems wherever you can. Good luck with it man :)

Kentpaul

Isn't that like, part time hours? Most offices I've worked have been around 37, I'm currently contracted to do 37.5 but often do nearer 40. The bloke drives trucks for a timber merchant and normally does around 50.

The key to life is the 4 day working week. Embrace and enjoy the extra the time off.

Shift work yo, don't you forget that now.

Kentpaul

44 hours for 2 weeks, and 33 for the other 2 for my shifts. Nay too shabby.

Rotations always work well.

Cooking with kentpaul 101 Merged milk,hashish and weed into one big milk mixture on the stove and added coco power, Drink that shit like a boss and got some great munches in from tesco.

Still 1.5 hours before it could start to kick in (can take hours to kick in but fuck its the best stone.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I do a 21 hour week over four days.

I'm going to feel fucked when I leave this job and end up in a regular 9 to 5.

I do a 21 hour week over four days.

I'm going to feel fucked when I leave this job and end up in a regular 9 to 5.

Side effect of 9-5 job: no longer liking Nintendo games, as you're an adult.

Okay, that was obviously a joke people, so don't go strangling me. Kentpaul, are you saying you'll never work full-time?

Kentpaul

Side effect of 9-5 job: no longer liking Nintendo games, as you're an adult.

Okay, that was obviously a joke people, so don't go strangling me. Kentpaul, are you saying you're never work full-time?

Some weeks yeah others not so much.

Extremely random work rota.

I would hate the extremely random money. I like having the same money each month, regardless of how hard I work :p

I would just hate not being able to plan stuff way in advance because you won't know what you're working. Also working weekends. I've done it before and it's not fun. When everyone else you know works 9-5 everything gets planned for the weekend, to be the only one who can't go all the time must suck.

Qasiel

I would just hate not being able to plan stuff way in advance because you won't know what you're working. Also working weekends. I've done it before and it's not fun. When everyone else you know works 9-5 everything gets planned for the weekend, to be the only one who can't go all the time must suck.
It's not as bad as you may think. It's not like I don't get to see the people I care about on a somewhat regular basis, and for me it just makes the times that we can get together that much better. Plus, all those midweek days off are pure bliss. The chance to do what I want whenever I want? Yes, please.

Plus, night shifts are absolutely awesome. Chilling out at "work", whilst killing zombies and getting paid for it, sleeping during the day (double bed all to myself) and chatting to people in different time zones beats the hum-drum routine of the 9-5 life for me every time.

Suairyu

Banned
Personally, I go for quirky and humorous. Easier to maintain. I just deal with plebs though - not none of them fancy Americans.
Oh same. I was just being funny. I got for lighthearted and super polite. Americans love how polite us Brits are.

Funny, because every American I speak to is way more polite and friendly than any Brit I ever knew. Except new yorkers. They're the Londoners of America.

Oh same. I was just being funny. I got for lighthearted and super polite. Americans love how polite us Brits are.

Funny, because every American I speak to is way more polite and friendly than any Brit I ever knew. Except new yorkers. They're the Londoners of America.

Better than the rest of the country and they know it?

Fuck yeah, I'm done with econometrics! Exam went really well, there were only a few things which threw me. I'm actually confident of a first in that! Fucking lecturer never gave over the statistical tables to the invigilators though, so we didn't get them until 30 minutes in.

Now to do a late one for micro economics tomorrow. Feels good to be back on campus!

CHEEZMO™;38610422 said:
The fuck is econometrics?

Basically making mathematical/statistical models to allow you to predict a dependent variable. Like I could make a model for Neogaf which predicts how much a Gaffer spends on videogames a year based on their income, which consoles they own, if they have kids, if they have other hobbies, etc. Or how much Kentpaul will spend on weed this week.

The idea is to make an accurate model as possible, improve it, test it etc. Except a load of rules and shit gets in the way. And it goes from there getting much more complex.

Lol that is just the thing you are trying to work out. It depends on the other values in the equation.

Like if Y=2x + 4F
Then Y is the dependent variable, X and F are the independent ones.

f0rk

Basically making mathematical/statistical models to allow you to predict a dependent variable. Like I could make a model for Neogaf which predicts how much a Gaffer spends on videogames a year based on their income, which consoles they own, if they have kids, if they have other hobbies, etc. Or how much Kentpaul will spend on weed this week.

The idea is to make an accurate model as possible, improve it, test it etc. Except a load of rules and shit gets in the way. And it goes from there getting much more complex.

This is what I do at work but it's the probability of missing a payment on some bank product rather than a amount of money or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom