• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Christmas murdered psn. I just realized that even if it is working that I'm about to leave for work. My bad. I'll probably be on quite a bit tomorrow though (provided it's back up....seriously, Sony and Nintendo failed this holiday). In the meantime you can add me if you'd like

PSN - EyelessOrphan.

'Tis cool. And will do.

smurfx

get some go again
Haggar/Chris/Sentinel was my og vanilla team. I don't think I lost during the first 2 weeks of release simply because of that damn pipe, and no one knew what to do about it.

I always think about picking Haggar back up, but I'll feel like a traitor to myself.

I also finally found my anti smurf team. Once I get my 360 copy back, I look forward to some matches. It's gonna be Modok/Dante/Shuma or Strider by the way. I really wish I could have Chris somewhere as he can handle Haggar and Hawkeye, but the problem with that is if Haggar wins that opening gambit then Chris is likely dead.

Is psn finally done being shitty? Or are you on xbl?
you gonna fly high with modok and call shuma assist? i'll just bait the assist and punish until dead. although i welcome playing more modoks since i don't know the match up too well.

you gonna fly high with modok and call shuma assist? i'll just bait the assist and punish until dead.
Oh certainly not. I generally rushdown with modok....haggar will of course make that difficult. The ONLY reason I'm using Modok is so I can get the fuck away at the opening. Strider is almost certainly a better choice since arrows blow up Shuma, I've just come to love that damn Shuma assist.

I wish I didn't have to use Modok but your Haggar is just too good opening the round for me to use Chris. I guess I could try to use Hulk assist or maybe Haggar, but I don't know how well Chris plays with Hulk :-/

FSLink

Banned
How well does Morrigan do against start of the round Hulk? Of course it's free once you get some space but I'm wondering about at the beginning of a round. Does any of her shadow blades beat out s.H or is the best thing just to block and wait and hope they don't predict a proper command grab?

I could only beat smurfx by rushing Haggar and Hawkeye before they get stuff started. :p Not sure how well Shuma and MODOK would do because trying to out zone Hawkeye + Task arrows is pretty difficult. Maybe I'll resubscribe to XBL, since I want to play some people I have on XBL and play you again smurfx. I want to see how team Nemo does in that matchup.

How well does Morrigan do against start of the round Hulk? Of course it's free once you get some space but I'm wondering about at the beginning of a round. Does any of her shadow blades beat out s.H or is the best thing just to block and wait and hope they don't predict a proper command grab?

I could only beat smurfx by rushing Haggar and Hawkeye before they get stuff started. :p Not sure how well Shuma and MODOK would do because trying to out zone Hawkeye + Task arrows is pretty difficult. Maybe I'll resubscribe to XBL, since I want to play some people and play you again smurfx. I want to see how team Nemo does in that matchup.
She can just straight up beat him if you just tech the grab and then command grab. I can't explain why it works, but it does. I can't do it with any other character that has a command grab though. She might be able to just do an H and beat him since it's multi hitting. I know Felicia can.

FSLink

Banned
She can just straight up beat him if you just tech the grab and then command grab. I can't explain why it works, but it does. I can't do it with any other character that has a command grab though. She might be able to just do an H and beat him since it's multi hitting. I know Felicia can.

Hm, interesting, I'll have to test that out in the training room (along with messing around with storing the command grab input). Though I don't think that'd work too well with Hulk + a beam or lariat assist, probably would just have to block and wait and see what Hulk does.

Hm, interesting, I'll have to test that out in the training room (along with messing around with storing the command grab input). Though I don't think that'd work too well with Hulk + a beam or lariat assist, probably would just have to block and wait and see what Hulk does.
It'll still work, it's risky though. A lot of the time I just let him have the ground throw depending on the character I'm playing. Like if I'm playing as Dante, I'll just let him throw me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Capcom did okay this gen overall. The problem is along the way they have managed to display a top tier level of disconnect with fans.

In some cases, the worst is behind them. In others, they're still pissing off fan bases. Their power move sorta failed because DD and DmC underperformed.

Dahbomb

DD is still doing alright though. It did sell under initially but the expansion is putting the game back on the map and more importantly it's getting the fan base excited, which means that a sequel has the potential to sell more. And more importantly... it's not being swept under the rung like DmC is.

Dragon's Dogma is more like old school Capcom.

Another one of their big power play was SFxT. That was their platform to force a bunch of shit down our throats but the community just put a stop on that. Game was mechanically solid and played well but a lot of people despised what it represented.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DD is still doing alright though. It did sell under initially but the expansion is putting the game back on the map and more importantly it's getting the fan base excited, which means that a sequel has the potential to sell more. And more importantly... it's not being swept under the rung like DmC is.

Another one of their big power play was SFxT. That was their platform to force a bunch of shit down our throats but the community just put a stop on that. Game was mechanically solid and played well but a lot of people despised what it represented.
Forgot about SFxTK, that was another.

IMO DD is one of their biggest failures especially if they really put as much resources into it as they initially said. Can't imagine Dark Arisen did better than the first or very close. Might be gaining steam within a small core or on something like GAF, but the core was never the problem. The base title still did over a million though, so there is still potential.

Interestingly enough, while fact checking I found this page. Officially 2.2 million for MvC3 and 1.1 million for UMvC3 as of September. Just an easy reference.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
Whether or not the characters sucked, the fact that they put MM and PM on the Xbox discs and gave us no legal way to play as them killed the game for me.

I respect your opinion on gameplay a lot, Dahbomb. If you like DD, can you try and sell me on it? I played it for an hour and thought it was trash.

Dahbomb

IMO DD is one of their biggest failures especially if they really put as much resources into it as they initially said. Can't imagine Dark Arisen did better than the first or very close. Might be gaining steam within a small core or on something like GAF, but the core was never the problem. The base title still did over a million though, so there is still potential.
You have to realize that in today's business.. you don't make a new IP to make just one game... you make it a franchise. More than likely Capcom has plans for DD2/DD3 already. The first game is just an investment... it has to be good so that the sequels can be better and they sell better. DD1 was a good step in the right direction and has the potential for growth.

Compared to DmC, DD is a bigger success. DD can only go up from here, DmC has put DMC into a downwards spiral despite doing about the same in sales.

I respect your opinion on gameplay a lot, Dahbomb. If you like DD, can you try and sell me on it? I played it for an hour and thought it was trash.
Man I don't know what I can say to convince you but I would say that 1 hour is not really enough time especially for an RPG (alright alright you don't like these types of games being called RPGs so I will say "open world action game with customization"). Game's combat is a lot of fun and is actually good unlike Skyrim, the bosses are great and the night time experience is really tense. Character customization feature is nice too.

Not much else to say... the game is not without it's faults though. Gets a bit repetitive starting out, traversal in the world is kinda bad, framerate issues and of course poor story/dialogs (not an issue for me personally). There is of course the Dark Arisen expansion which is supposed to improve some elements of the game, I haven't played it though but it looks nice.

Well...what makes the combat good? It seems like a shitty in-between of Monster Hunter and Bayonetta. Not slow and purposeful, but not fast and reactionary.

Dark Risen was free on PS+, so I have access.

What kind of character do you think I would like to play? I hate guessing at what will be fun in character building games. Full respecs should always be available.

Dahbomb

It's not like Bayonetta at all... it's like a faster less limited Monster Hunter with elements of Shadow Colossus with a Pawn system.

As far as what makes the combat goes... it's fast enough and responsive enough for a game like this (aka a Western action RPG). The bosses are quite good and there is an added level of interactivity with them where you can climb their backs and stuff. You have lots of abilities and Pawn combinations to help make combat more strategic and varied. Unlike Monster Hunter... you become a bad ass faster in this game yet it's still about skill over theory craft unlike most other action RPGs.

You can change classes when you unlock them though by going to a certain NPC at Gran Soren Inn. So you can experiment as you go along. I personally like the Warrior class which allows you to wield a 2 hand weapon and basically you can play like Gutts from Berserk (with the exact gear). A lot of people like the Strider class for the fast attacks and pseudo combos (there aren't actual combos like in a full on DMC style action game). The Mage/Sorcerers are pretty cool in this game and their spells have crazy effects but I much rather prefer to have Sorcerers as my pawns... I like to get in balls deep.

Speaking of Berserk...

Guts_and_Griffith_renderings.jpg

Fucking boss as fuck!

I think the 3-4 biggest problems with the game include the following:

*No fast travel which means a ton of slogging through the environments fighting the same shit and looking at the same shit over and over again.
*Pawn AI is generally pretty shit like in most games that involve some sort of group AI
*Lots of performance/technical issues like camera problems, frame rate drops etc.
*Kinda monotonous color palette combined with dull storyline that makes this more like a Western RPG than it should be. This looks to be done on purpose though which makes no sense to me.

This is a diamond in the rough type of game for me. Like this is the type of stuff I want in an open world fantasy based action RPG. I want to be able to scale dragons and stab them in the back of the neck. I want to have my helpers summon giant glacial walls to freeze enemies in place so I can hack them down. I like the whole day/night cycle and the fact that night brings more menacing threats. I like the customization aspect of the game. I like the concept of the Pawn system even if its not executed properly (really though this game could've been co-operative.. another dumb ass Capcom mistake). Hell... just putting in fast travel and then patching some weird issues would make this game a solid 8-9 in my book.

Can I just wield a huge 2-hander and smack bitches without pawns? Is it like MH where everything is avoidable, or do I need a healer while someone tanks?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95071948]I picked magic archer even though he kinda sucks.[/QUOTE]
Why?

Dahbomb

Can I just wield a huge 2-hander and smack bitches without pawns? Is it like MH where everything is avoidable, or do I need a healer while someone tanks?
Everything is avoidable or at least it should be. You can wield a 2 hander and do whatever you want, Pawns just make the game easier (they do sometimes cast useful spell, stun enemies or even hold them in place for you to hit them).

You can have a Healer as one of your Pawn... that's what I do at least although it's not necessary. Go in hard with your 2H main guy, hit the boss a few times, fall back and let your Pawn heal you then go back in. The other Pawns will distract the boss while you regroup.

GGs, first run on the new team and I feel like the experiment was a success!

Other than some execution problems with plinking and x factor I feel like I was making the right choices. Magneto/Morrigan/Phoenix just makes a lot of sense and it's fun to play 😃

FSLink

Banned
Anyone use Hulk and know the timing or positioning on how to connect a Sentinel Rocket Punch after a magic series from mid screen? Always seem to whiff for me.

Ghazi

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95109775]Going back on if anybody else wants to play.[/QUOTE]

I'm getting on now, but I may not play for an extended period because LoL.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95100169]GGs, first run on the new team and I feel like the experiment was a success!

Other than some execution problems with plinking and x factor I feel like I was making the right choices. Magneto/Morrigan/Phoenix just makes a lot of sense and it's fun to play 😃[/QUOTE]
Is your Morrigan still really bad? ;)

Ghazi

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95100169]GGs, first run on the new team and I feel like the experiment was a success!

Other than some execution problems with plinking and x factor I feel like I was making the right choices. Magneto/Morrigan/Phoenix just makes a lot of sense and it's fun to play 😃[/QUOTE]
For you :/

Jill just gets shit on with all three of those match ups lol. Fuck, Phoenix beat Somersault with teleport multiple times I don't even...

Ghazi

I want to run a Jill team against you. I think it might give you ideas. Are you open to play in a bit?

Ah, I can't right now sorry. I'm supposed to be going asleep in about 10 minutes. I'll be available tomorrow maybe.

In terms of Jill though, my mobility with her has improved a lot, even though it's still pretty bad. One thing I was proud of was that I was always chasing God's Beard down even when he was going into flight mode and calling Morrigan assist. I was always under his ass, I didn't want to get into an air conflict with any of those three characters so I tried to Somersault them as they fell out of flight mode, and not with Feral dashes like I used to only do, Arrow Kick is a hell of a move.

Blackage

I noticed a few people going back to Point char/meter build/Phoenix teams lately, and even putting Phoenix in @ 5 bars and playing her point with the previous point character also being a decent assist for mix-ups.

Anyone else think the Phoenix meta game kinda stopped early at "Run away with her, keep her out always, and just go Dark phoenix XF3"? I don't think I've ever seen somebody just confidently play Phoenix on point, and we've seen point Strider play at this point.

I noticed a few people going back to Point char/meter build/Phoenix teams lately, and even putting Phoenix in @ 5 bars and playing her point with the previous point character also being a decent assist for mix-ups.

Anyone else think the Phoenix meta game kinda stopped early at "Run away with her, keep her out always, and just go Dark phoenix XF3"? I don't think I've ever seen somebody just confidently play Phoenix on point, and we've seen point Strider play at this point.
Too much risk for too little reward.

Ah, I can't right now sorry. I'm supposed to be going asleep in about 10 minutes. I'll be available tomorrow maybe.

In terms of Jill though, my mobility with her has improved a lot, even though it's still pretty bad. One thing I was proud of was that I was always chasing God's Beard down even when he was going into flight mode and calling Morrigan assist. I was always under his ass, I didn't want to get into an air conflict with any of those three characters so I tried to Somersault them as they fell out of flight mode, and not with Feral dashes like I used to only do, Arrow Kick is a hell of a move.
It was more about team construction than anything else. I have nothing to teach you about how to play Jill!

Against Morrigan, always cross under her. Fucks her up big time.

GGs to DJ Ghazi and TWILT. Better connection with Ghazi today so I actually played Magneto lol

TWILT has a better Dante than me :(

AND I hate fighting his team with Alioune's! I have to rush down it's so gross! I wanna plink blast around the corners and build meter!

Is your Morrigan still really bad? ;)

I've only been playing her the last two days but it's been one hundred percent learning movement against the AI, no combos or anything. So that's better than before. I've been winning more with this team, the spirit of Alioune guides me.

If I get five bars and still have all three characters, I tag her in and fight until she dies. Then tag back in Magneto and build another two bars for shockwave to astral vision. At least a bar so she can super XFC on incoming.

Ghazi

It was more about team construction than anything else. I have nothing to teach you about how to play Jill!

Against Morrigan, always cross under her. Fucks her up big time.
Oh, no I was just trying to brag about dat gdlk movement against God's Beard haha.

Right now, the team I have in mind is Magneto/Jill/Dante.

I get good DHC, THC, TAC options, but sort of weak assists. Jam Session is good as always, I won't really be able to take advantage of Magneto's EMD because he's on point unless he's snapped (which I don't see a reason he would be, anyway), but Somersault is really only good for Alpha Counters (I love getting full combos of these things haha). It's iffy in close quarters. When I was playing with God's Beard, sometimes it'd hit him and others Jill would get knocked out at startup (I thought the assist was pretty invincible). Arrow Kick would be pretty awesome for getting some easy confirms from time to time, since Magneto doesn't use a wallbounce, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

I'm also still a Frank fanatic, I want to use him, but I have next to no options for leveling up with this team other than a DHC from Jill to him after Raven Spike abusing the DHC glitch, so there's a problem there. Dante is the weakest character on that team as well, in terms of how I can use each of the characters.

I think Jill works best with Iron Man, Chris, and Dante. Jill/Chris/Dante is probably her optimal team.

GB, the Alioune team is a blast until you run into TAC XFCers. It makes the team too bitter for me to bear.

I think Jill works best with Iron Man, Chris, and Dante. Jill/Chris/Dante is probably her optimal team.

GB, the Alioune team is a blast until you run into TAC XFCers. It makes the team too bitter for me to bear.

Oh, TWILT did that to me today. All that work...

I actually beat Ghazi once or twice by timing him out with plink blasts, which I think is actually more fun than winning with phoenix. I really like playing Magneto/Dormammu/Morrigan as well, but the pressure isn't as strong and anchor Morrigan is super ass.

Edit: god I hate the autocorrect on my cintiq.I need to turn that shit off. doubles my typing time.

Ghazi

Both Chris and Iron Man were characters I wanted to play (I did with Iron Man a while back). I was just trying Chris recently because of that guide someone (Mango Sentinel, I think?) link here that was 40 minutes long and very good for 15 I watched.

Iron Man's good, I was reminded of Alucard playing some Jill Iron Man team at NLBC. Unibeam assist is good, THC, TAC, and DHC options are good there as well.

Chris, like I said I don't know too much about him. Seems like a keep away character, but still not a zoning one. iirc, his mine/grenade assist otgs, so I could imagine it getting some good extensions after Jill's otg move. Gunshot assist is pretty good as well, but it sounds like mines would be more helpful.

Like I said before, my Dante is pretty weak, I can't figure out why though. I'm also kinda meh about putting her on point. She's not like, say, Wolverine. Many of her advanced offensive options require me going into a stance that takes away my option to block and most of her specials are pretty unsafe unless cancelled into feral stance (back to that blocking dilemma).

I used to think Jill on point was dah bomb (heh), now I can't imagine opening a match like that. I just feel more comfortable with her there, mostly because my point Jill has been an appetizer for the enemy 90% of the time, I honestly don't get much done with her in this slot. Especially when I'm fighting air controlling characters like Magneto on point.

Which is the sole reason I'm trying to learn Magneto myself, I need a character like that on my team. I was workin on hyper grab loops earlier today. I also think Magneto is a bs character because of how powerful he is, but he takes a lot more skill to use than Vergil, so I won't feel like garbage playing him. If he turns out an awful choice for me, oh well, I'll just put Jill on point again with Iron Man in the second slot again.

GGs That Dude John. I haven't played a set that long in a while, and definitely not a random set. That first team I got was godlike. I think I might actually play it.

Both Chris and Iron Man were characters I wanted to play (I did with Iron Man a while back). I was just trying Chris recently because of that guide someone (Mango Sentinel, I think?) link here that was 40 minutes long and very good for 15 I watched.

Nah it wasn't me that linked it. I just commented on it.

And don't give up on Jill. She's good....it's just a LOT of work.

Anyone on psn still online?
GGs. I cannot find a character that clicks to save my life. Sigh. I might just have to play everything but SF next year. :p

Iron Man's good, I was reminded of Alucard playing some Jill Iron Man team at NLBC. Unibeam assist is good, THC, TAC, and DHC options are good there as well.

Chris, like I said I don't know too much about him. Seems like a keep away character, but still not a zoning one. iirc, his mine/grenade assist otgs, so I could imagine it getting some good extensions after Jill's otg move. Gunshot assist is pretty good as well, but it sounds like mines would be more helpful.

Like I said before, my Dante is pretty weak, I can't figure out why though. I'm also kinda meh about putting her on point. She's not like, say, Wolverine. Many of her advanced offensive options require me going into a stance that takes away my option to block and most of her specials are pretty unsafe unless cancelled into feral stance (back to that blocking dilemma).

I used to think Jill on point was dah bomb (heh), now I can't imagine opening a match like that. I just feel more comfortable with her there, mostly because my point Jill has been an appetizer for the enemy 90% of the time, I honestly don't get much done with her in this slot. Especially when I'm fighting air controlling characters like Magneto on point.

Which is the sole reason I'm trying to learn Magneto myself, I need a character like that on my team. I was workin on hyper grab loops earlier today. I also think Magneto is a bs character because of how powerful he is, but he takes a lot more skill to use than Vergil, so I won't feel like garbage playing him. If he turns out an awful choice for me, oh well, I'll just put Jill on point again with Iron Man in the second slot again.
Play Chris/Jill/Dante then. Use Chris' second grenade his hyper launches to cover Jill's DHC in. I bet she even recovers in time for a free mixup. Gunfire assist is good, but the Jill/Chris THC is one of the deadliest in the game. You get like 5 mixup opportunities into big damage.

FSLink

Banned
Man I suck at plinking evidence with Wright. Trying to get it down so I can do Hold It stun combos into Objection from 0 evidence. I guess it's not really needed with a Dante THC though.

It also gets really goddamn tiring to play Morrigan without backup. She has so many awful matchups. You will cry the first time you play a competent Vergil/Dante/Strider team. It is a massacre. Dormammu plus HM slaughters your team as well.

TWILT played Wesker/Dante/Strider and did tac xfc. It was pretty rough, I had to be super aggressive and build meter normally. Wound up 6-20 :-( The matchup is probably better than your Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix team, though.

Ghazi

Why did I never try Chris sooner? I'm loving this, great damage and range options alongside being able to make most things safe. Not to mention I get a wall/pillar of bullshit with Jam Session and tons of extension options with Jill.

I figured this simple magic series out in the 10 minutes I just played with Chris that does 700k damage with one bar wtf lol. And it's super crappy, there are so many better options to do it with, and that was without flamethrower!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I wanted to try some things minus flamethrower) Though I'm sure 700k is average damage for a Chris full combo.

Also, I don't think you can plink dash backwards with L+M -> H because you get Flamethrower, I had to plink from L-> L+M. Any recommendations for that?

Damn that was fun, I'm going to go watch that tutorial now

EWmof.gif
Karsticles
p0QHO.gif

Top Bottom