• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

lawful

Banned
if there is some foolproof way of getting it to work without being lucky or timing it just right I'd love to know. Maybe a DHC into it? But who would I use? Strange with the Spell of Ashanti like Dormammu does that beam up straight into the fire hyper? lol I don't know names for shit guys I'm sorry.

Remember I don't know that much so I'm going to assume you mean go into x-factor as a way to get the guy off of me and then immediately do it while he is stunned yeah?
Have you watched any competitive play? Like Fchamp's Ghost Rider? If not, do so.

If anyone on the PSN side can record, I can do a set with Ghost Rider to show lawful what I mean.

Penance Stare has some invincibility frames. You XFC the blockstun, Penance Stare, and it goes through anything your opponent is doing (save some other hypers with lots of invincibility - screw you, Bionic Lancer!).

We should get a mod to change this thread title...
There's never gonna be a patch.

It's crazy to think that it's almost been a year since we started the theory patch discussion.
Never admit defeat.

Have you watched any competitive play? Like Fchamp's Ghost Rider? If not, do so.

If anyone on the PSN side can record, I can do a set with Ghost Rider to show lawful what I mean.

There's also IGT from SoCal who attends TRB sometimes. I'm not familiar enough with Ghost Rider to judge how good he is with him though.

lawful

Banned
I don't want to pick OP characters/teams I like to do my own thing even if it's not the best. I had vanilla when it was new and I got really tired of seeing various combinations of Dante/Wesker/Akuma. I almost deliberately steer clear of those characters (although I'm not useless with them) because of it. And to be honest I don't like Capcom games all that much so I'm pretty much stuck with only Marvel characters to work with. Which is fine by me because I love the characters. The only OP guy I use is Doom but it's not all because he is OP, he is one of my favorite villains and aside from the salt inducing foot dive hard knockdown he is an all around great character. If he had a teleport he would be God in that game. So yeah I like to play for fun mostly so I pick characters based off their flashy moves or their level of badassery in the comics. I'm just learning that X-23 is awesome. That level 3 hyper is nuts especially with level 3 x-factor, it's basically 1 hit to most characters. Nuts. I love the game and I wish I was better but my main problem with wanting to get better has to do with the main reason I play fighting games. I don't play them to go online or go pro or go to EVO or whatever I play with my friends on a couch in versus and what not. I play them because it's fun for me and my RL buddies when we hang out and drink too many beers. I'm already winning 90% of time as of right now if I break through my current skill ceiling I leave them behind and then it won't be fun any more. I bought each of my friends a copy of the game and I try to teach them everything I know and it is starting to work but they definitely don't have the discipline or dedication I have to really learn the moves or want to improve. Who knows, maybe they will actually get a fire under their asses and try to be better than me.

I don't want to pick OP characters/teams I like to do my own thing even if it's not the best.

I share the feeling, but what if characters you like are OP? :p
Also, this will only get you so far: in Marvel choosing a good team is very important.
I chose my characters purely out of fanboyism. Ace Attorney is one of my favorite games, Dead Rising is probably my favorite 360 game and I've replayed Bionic Commando (Rearmed and 2009) way too many times. So I chose Wright/Frank/Spencer. Wright and Frank both have to level up to be effective, so my game is very slow. Plus, Spencer is a terrible anchor. So far I kept this team and had a lot of fun with it, but I'll admit it's frustrating watching a Vergil or Zero player against my (pretty crappy) Spencer. I'm considering switching to Dante (which would be an improvement in every possible way), but so far my fanboyism has prevailed.

Zissou

Team synergy is one of the most interesting elements of marvel, but it means you can't just pick three characters you like and expect to have run away success (unless you love megaman x or devil may cry, etc., haha). Of course, none of this matters if you don't care about winning.

Zissou

Exactly. lol
I've seen a number of teams with the point character being fairly unique with two "generic" companions.

I think you even have a reasonable selection of companions to pick from- people bandwagon hard in this game but there are a lot of very decent support characters.

lawful

Banned
Okay then, what do you guys think of my team: Ghost Rider on point and I don't know where to place Strange or Doom. I feel like Doom should be in the middle so I can start to learn the TAC infinite combos with him. I don't know though, who should be anchor? Strange or Doom? Assist wise I was thinking bolts for Strange, missles for Doom and idk heartless spire for Rider? I figure one is a direct cross screen projectile, one is a overheadish projectile that forces my opponent to either run at me or away from me, and one can be used to pick up knocked down opponents. I am open to suggestions, hell it's why I'm here in this thread.

Zissou

Okay then, what do you guys think of my team: Ghost Rider on point and I don't know where to place Strange or Doom. I feel like Doom should be in the middle so I can start to learn the TAC infinite combos with him. I don't know though, who should be anchor? Strange or Doom? Assist wise I was thinking bolts for Strange, missles for Doom and idk heartless spire for Rider? I figure one is a direct cross screen projectile, one is a overheadish projectile that forces my opponent to either run at me or away from me, and one can be used to pick up knocked down opponents. I am open to suggestions, hell it's why I'm here in this thread.

I'd recommend playing GR/Doom/Strange. Assist-wise, I'm not sure for GR, but pick plasma beam for Doom (for the reasons Karst mentioned) and pick bolts for Strange- though it doesn't do much for GR, it's a very good assist for Doom, so when GR dies, you'll still have a strong duo.

FSLink

Banned
Strange should be middle since there's a way to DHC to him for FoF loops. You could always use Strange mid combo if you want to TAC into Doom anyway. That and XF2 Strange plus assist or XF3 Doom is better than the other way around I feel. I'd use eye assist and missiles (and switch to plasma or rocks depending on matchup)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtv7PhCFxE

There's also this hard tag setup with Vergil assist...might be possible with Doom if you tinker around with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xW7mx3KNjs

You mean that Ryu/ Thor combo or just how I use Shuma assist with Ryu? Also I'm free most of the day except today after 4pm Sask time.
Just the Shuma-Gorath/Ryu synergy. I'm curious what you have.

We need an evening time - I work.

Strange should be middle since there's a way to DHC to him for FoF loops. You could always use Strange mid combo if you want to TAC into Doom anyway. That and XF2 Strange plus assist or XF3 Doom is better than the other way around I feel. I'd use eye assist and missiles (and switch to plasma or rocks depending on matchup)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtv7PhCFxE

There's also this hard tag setup with Vergil assist...might be possible with Doom if you tinker around with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xW7mx3KNjs
I think this ends the discussion: Strange second. Ghost Rider has awful damage, and this solves it. Beautiful.

As for Dr. Strange's assist, you have arguments for all three options:
1) Bolts - mostly for Doom; it might have combos for GR, but no neutral value for him.
2) EoA - somewhat useful for GR lockdown and combo conversions, but horrible for Doom.
3) DoD - not a great assist in general, but Ghost Rider desperately needs an anti-air option, and this is all you have with your trio.

Azoth

Banned
We need to have a "Slowest Infinite Kill" contest: Dante vs. Storm.

Dante v Nova, actually.

Storm scales to 10% and would kill way faster than either of them.

We haven't quite see Slow TAC Infinites used as a competitive tactic in tournament play, but it's about time to see it. Putting your opponent down a character or two with ~20 seconds on the clock can really force mistakes, or a loss.

I pick characters I like in every game regardless of them being OP. Unfortunately, I like Sentinel and hate Vergil.

It's kinda funny I love Dante and Vergil character wise and think they are perfectly designed gameplay wise from their source material but I can't stand playing as them. Enough people play them so I get my fill that way.

It's kinda funny I love Dante and Vergil character wise and think they are perfectly designed gameplay wise from their source material but I can't stand playing as them. Enough people play them so I get my fill that way.

I think Dante is perfect in Marvel. Great balance between possibilities and skill required.
Vergil, on the other hand...

onionfrog

Both Dante and Vergil were excellently designed, it makes me wish Neo_G had loved the Megaman series as much as DMC. ;_;

I like Dante but I can't bold cancel...

I think think hulk AA is fair cause even though it's practically invincible as a defensive tool it's near impossible to combo off of it.
Also, you can bait the assist call and punish it still. I know I've gotten several Chaotic Flames off on Hulk, followed by Purication trains as Wright tries to hobble forward. The assist is very fair.

Azoth

Banned
Cool video, I learned something about sentinel(XF3 jS -> Fly -> jH xx Unfly jH is a good damage extension for sure). I wish he'd put Sentinel's dirty instant overhead confirms off of any fuzzy setup in, though. IO jLH xx Fly, Unfly jLM combos on hit in any level XF and is a dirty overhead. I played JDog at NEC 14, and he had some seeeriously dirty Nemesis setups.

Personally, I think Hulk AA Assist is pretty bad. It's good at a low level of play, when people can't punish it, but once you're playing someone good, if you start calling it in the neutral you're gonna get him bopped. Even on hit, you can DHC out and punish it often.

PW is one of the only characters that makes it not completely doodoo, as it can be used to cover summoning maya barrier, and maya barrier can be used to protect it from standard punishes, which is pretty good synergy. It's still not "safe" by any means, though.

I used to use it on my Hulk/Sent/Dante team, as a ghetto jam session into jS setup, which was alright on incoming. After becoming more familiar with the team, though, I definitely prefer Gamma Wave, as it provides just as much support in the neutral and allows for much scarier combos and extensions.

Dahbomb

I think if Hulk came out a bit ahead of the point character it would be a much better assist. It whiffs a lot of stuff and a character like Vergil seems to always be outside its range even with poking with Lights/Mediums..

And Vergil is too perfectly designed in MVC3 (from DMC3) almost to a fault. Although a few of his attributes are legitimately bugged that make him OP.

FSLink

Banned
For PW players: is there any trick to use the Missile assist? It comes in too slow for me to use it as an OTG.

Depends on what point character you're using, but usually calling it during the first launcher, doing air magic series, by the time you land Missile should be there.

Depends on what point character you're using, but usually calling it during the first launcher, doing air magic series, by the time you land Missile should be there.

Well, Wright's the point, but I usually move him out if he gets his Turnabout, so I wanted to get the best ouf of his assist. Still, that's what I was doing and it didn't work, but I guess I timed it wrong. I'll try again later.

FSLink

Banned
Well, Wright's the point, but I usually move him out if he gets his Turnabout, so I wanted to get the best ouf of his assist. Still, that's what I was doing and it didn't work, but I guess I timed it wrong. I'll try again later.

Yeah, it also depends on who you're trying to do it with since you may need to delay the timing/shorten the series

Missile works for really slow finishing moves. It's not good for mid combo extensions but rather good for end combo extensions that end slowly. It use really is character dependent. It is the weakest projectile in the game but it is a low traveling assist.

Missile works for really slow finishing moves. It's not good for mid combo extensions but rather good for end combo extensions that end slowly. It use really is character dependent. It is the weakest projectile in the game but it is a low traveling assist.
Missile has 5 hit points last I checked, so it has average durability, not weak durability. It's on par with a Soul Fist or Hadoken. Plus it's small, so a lot of assists won't hit Missile. I think it's a great assist, and I actually wish we could see a Morrigan player use it since her overhead game is so strong. Plus, Shadow Blade is roughly as good as Gamma Charge AA as a "get off me".

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
Missile has 5 hit points last I checked, so it has average durability, not weak durability. It's on par with a Soul Fist or Hadoken. Plus it's small, so a lot of assists won't hit Missile. I think it's a great assist, and I actually wish we could see a Morrigan player use it since her overhead game is so strong. Plus, Shadow Blade is roughly as good as Gamma Charge AA as a "get off me".

Besides supers Mystic Ray and Jam Session assists are the only ways I can think of clearing missiles.

Missiles are very good for Ghost Rider because it pins people down and allows you to control more space. If I played GR I'd probably run GR y/Haggar a/ Doom b.

Also I've come to the conclusion that the kind of Denjin combo team mate I'm looking for is if I'm already in Denjin when I start the combo or else it scales far too much. So if anyone can help by trying combos with assists where you start in Denjin mode I'd be very thankful. Since everyone has a different mind different results can be produced :)

Besides supers Mystic Ray and Jam Session assists are the only ways I can think of clearing missiles.

Missiles are very good for Ghost Rider because it pins people down and allows you to control more space. If I played GR I'd probably run GR y/Haggar a/ Doom b.

Also I've come to the conclusion that the kind of Denjin combo team mate I'm looking for is if I'm already in Denjin when I start the combo or else it scales far too much. So if anyone can help by trying combos with assists where you start in Denjin mode I'd be very thankful. Since everyone has a different mind different results can be produced :)
Missile, not missiles!

If you just want the best combo extender, probably an OTG assist or ground bounce.

Top Bottom