• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Blackage

MvC2 emulators have been out forever.

People don't play rebalanced MvC2. Rebalanced, of course, meaning rebalanced according to whatever putz put the changelog together, because SF2 HD Remix was soooo good, lol. And Sirlin may be an awful, cranky man.. but he knows more about fighters and balance than most.

People play Unbalanced Versus Games until the next one comes out. Have, and will.

Meh, Project M is an example of successful fan rebalanced game that appears @ tournaments.

If we had an emulated version of Marvel 3 and we put all those changes in the first post of this thread into the game and had some way to play it online it would breathe new life into it, especially if it looks like Marvel vs Capcom 4 isn't going to happen.

That said, if the Marvel community still supports the game in its state until the next real game(Assuming there is one) it's moot.

Regardless of how you feel about Marvel online, there's a great deal of people that only played online and enjoyed online, and now they have to deal with that save bug that's poisoned that well.

FSLink

Banned
Project M is a very rare example. The Wii's been hacked to hell and back, it was hacked enough that using Project M is very user-friendly. You just throw the files on an SD card, pop it into a Wii (even an unmodded one), and run Brawl->go to Stage Builder to launch. As far as consoles go, Project M and Brawl mods in general are a pretty crazy milestone in terms of modding.

The ease of use definitely helped it become a popular mod to be welcome at tourneys. Not many people are going to try to get a JTAG Xbox 360 or find a low firmware PS3/downgrade it through a physical exploit just to play a mod of Marvel 3. The homebrew community for either of those has to evolve significantly. I don't think when we get very functional 360/PS3 emulators that we'd get a scene for a modded Marvel either just because of the logistics of running PC at tourneys is more difficult.

Dahbomb

Definitive proof provided in the FGW that Doom's Foot Dive does in fact have a hitbox extending above his head on the first frame.

So that giant Foot Dive hitbox pic wasn't actually a Photoshop.

tr0Zi2K.jpg

I feel like we should have a Marvel 3 Mythbuster show.

Azoth

Banned
I don't mean the game is dead. I mean this fucks things up for anyone who casually goes online to play matches with randoms.

It's unfortunate this this might make random matches online broken and unenjoyable.

You've still got GAF though. I'm mostly playing people that are already on my friends list at this point anyways.

Nobody wants to fight galactus backed by lariat.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

Yeah. I think I'm gonna start playing Ultra more, too. Decapre is too fun.

It really is a shame. IIRC we only got three patches for ultimate.
1. Fixed PW's invincible assists.
2. Some other minor changes. (I know Chris got a flamethrower buff)
... Several months later
3. Capcom patched out the glitch which allowed you to select any alt costume without buying the DLC. (Probably only done because capcom didn't want to lose potential DLC revenue)

I know what you meant.

I meant it doesn't screw up people wanting random online matches. Played a Chris/Chris/Dante player today, and it was hella fun. I ran into ONE galactus player, in about 10 player matches, and he was bad and got bopped, but even if galactus is somehow broken in meta, that's still 90% of the matches with no problem in my book.

People are WAY overreacting. Triplicate teams aren't even busted, they're just an injection of entertaining novelty that makes the game even better.

Azoth

Banned
Has anybody even seen a Galactus on XBL?

From what I've seen, nobody actually knows the XB save edit hex for him, if there is one, and 33-40(including 3A-3F hex values) don't return anything. Curious.

Not sure if good or bad, as, not sure if Galactus is OP or just hilariously good at bopping bad players with no matchup knowledge.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
I'm glad this thing occured so that I can finally use Magneto's alt, even if I have to limit myself to who I have to use him with.

I wonder if the hex editor thing can be used to unlock Pac-Man and Megaman in the 360 version of SFxT as they're on the disc technically?

shaowebb

Here is a sendoff that I and various online warriors made to UMVC3 Online,

A Combo video called "The Online Warriors: An Online UMVC3 Combo Video"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk5-rbn835Q

Hope you guys enjoy, took me a while to record the matches/edit them together with everyone submitting stuff!

Good stuff man. Hope there is a another VS game someday...hell at this rate I just hope there is still a Capcom in 5 years.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
BTW guys, if you change the costume Hex code to 09 for Wesker, Doom, Dormammu or Akuma then you have a gold Herald colour, but it only works for those 4.

Anyone got a Galactus Hex code?

FSLink

Banned
I tied for 13th at the Curleh South After Party tourney. Not too bad. Both games I lost I missed a game winning combo or punish so I just need to get better tourney nerves.

RocBase

I would love to see the hitboxes on Nemesis' command grabs.

Ah sorry lol, I did see your original comment in the other thread but since JeTmAn81 said he was going to post hitboxes from matches using his Nemesis team, I figured he'd do it.

I'll try and whip up something soonish.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just noticed that UMvC3 is still available digitally on the Vita. Isn't that weird? I mean, what sort of licensing issues prompted the removal of the 360 and PS3 versions/DLC, but would leave the Vita version unaffected for so long? I know that the Vita version came out a little bit later, but it's been half a year now.

Also Origins is still available.

FSLink

Banned
I just noticed that UMvC3 is still available digitally on the Vita. Isn't that weird? I mean, what sort of licensing issues prompted the removal of the 360 and PS3 versions/DLC, but would leave the Vita version unaffected for so long? I know that the Vita version came out a little bit later, but it's been half a year now.

Could have had a different amount of time for the contract expiration than the console version.

I'm not sure why it's still up, but it's also on sale right now. I've decided to buy it.
Ragequitters everywhere and I can't pull off a shoryuken motion to save my life, but the port is pretty impressive.

Blackage

They also could have straight up forgotten about it, it IS on the Vita after all. :p

The Vita version came out 4 months after the console version, and it's been 4 months+ since Capcom pulled all Marvel content digitally aside from the Vita, so yeah.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 is still out on the iOS store, so maybe Marvel only pulled specific titles. They have some grand plan for a unified marvel gaming universe. Hopefully it fails horribly so Capcom gets the license back one day.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Could have had a different amount of time for the contract expiration than the console version.

Yeah, it would make sense if a different contract was negotiated. I've also read that there are more restrictions with Sony on Vita releases, so maybe a digital version available was mandated?

I'm not sure why it's still up, but it's also on sale right now. I've decided to buy it.
Ragequitters everywhere and I can't pull off a shoryuken motion to save my life, but the port is pretty impressive.

Hey, if you want to play some rounds, let me know. I wouldn't really bother with most of the random Vita population that's currently on. My PSN ID is GuardianE.

They also could have straight up forgotten about it, it IS on the Vita after all. :p

That thought definitely crossed my mind, heh.

Hey, if you want to play some rounds, let me know. I wouldn't really bother with most of the random Vita population that's currently on. My PSN ID is GuardianE.

I'll add you later, then. Keep in mind that I'm already terrible on console (I think the W/L ratio is about 45% on PS3). Imagine how poorly I perform on Vita.
Still, always up for a few games.

Blackage

I'll add you later, then. Keep in mind that I'm already terrible on console (I think the W/L ratio is about 45% on PS3). Imagine how poorly I perform on Vita.

It's not that bad, I heard like J Rosa & Nerd Josh practice Infinite combos on Vita heh.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

What kills me about the Vita is the inability to allocate a one-button dash without sacrificing an assist. I wish you could plug a Dualshock into the Vita.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but it feels like some of the timing is different.

Anyways, I'm always up for some games: mains, secondary, casual, random... all good to me.

What kills me about the Vita is the inability to allocate a one-button dash without sacrificing an assist. I wish you could plug a Dualshock into the Vita.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but it feels like some of the timing is different.

Anyways, I'm always up for some games: mains, secondary, casual, random... all good to me.

I agree. My R2 button is essential: hypers, dashing, advancing guard... Having to press two buttons together is annoying enough on a standard controllet, let alone on the Vita. More often than not I end up calling Maya with H instead of doing a Hyper... and the best part is, it saved my life more than once by now.

Sorry for the double post, but upping this thread is always good.

1) GGs to Guardian. Do you have the game on PS3 too? That'd make playing much easier.
2) I finally managed to combo Wright's mode change into Illumination thanks to Spencer's wire grapple. It's tricky, but doable.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
1) GGs to Guardian. Do you have the game on PS3 too? That'd make playing much easier.

GGs, Dyni! Unfortunately I do most of my fighter gaming on 360 and PC. And now the Vita for practice on the go.

You said your wireless was acting up, though right? It's usually not that bad? Part of it might be the fact we're on opposite sides of the globe too. I can definitely play with some lag, but that was pretty bad, lol. I couldn't ABC properly, much less hitconfirm or bold cancel.

GGs, Dyni. Unfortunately I do most of my fighter gaming on 360 and PC. And now the Vita for practice on the go.

You said your wireless was acting up, though right? It's usually not that bad? I can stand some lag, but that was pretty bad, lol. I couldn't ABC properly, much less hitconfirm or bold cancel.

When it works, it works really well. The connection in itself is really good, and we even have a signal repeater to get the signal through all the house, but it keeps acting up and the only workaround I know is to reset the network entirely. Which I, unfortunately, can't usually do because everyone in this house uses Internet the whole day. Still, if I end up staying up late one of these days I'll be sure to check the web is working to play.

Azoth

Banned
XBL matches, anyone? :] Would love to work my Modok out a bit. Send me a message @ Mercurial Hg if you're around, or get this later and want to send a friend request for modok boppings later

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Four games on Vita, three ragequits... and the only guy who didn't quit was a rookie. I should stick to the PS3 version.

About half of my matches end in ragequits. And yeah, people with higher ranks tend to ragequit more. I've found a good number of decent people who were Fighters/Rookies... probably because they don't want to deal with the ragequitting nonsense of Ranked. Since you can ragequit by literally tapping a single button, it's seems really prevalent on the Vita, unfortunately.

Zissou

Yo marvel GAF- I'm going to a weird ratio tournament today and need your theory craft help. Like other ratio tournaments, characters are worth a set number number of points. HOWEVER, unlike other ratio tournaments, where the total value of your characters' points cannot exceed some set value (usually 10), your points can add up to whatever you want. You're handicapped by picking a high point value team by the fact that in any given match, your opponent must beat you fewer times to eliminate you. Here's the chart:

h%E3%81%82.png

For example, if you pick Morrigan/Doom/Vergil, the team is a total of 18 points. Using the equation at the top of the chart: (21 - 18) / 3 = 1, so your opponent must beat you once to advance. If you were to pick Jill/Chun/Hsien-ko, you'd have a total of 3 points, so (21-3) / 3 = 6, so your opponent has to beat you six times in order to advance.

Anyway, I only decided to go at the last minute, so I'm trying to figure out what team to use since I only have like an an hour and a half until I have to go to this thing. What team should I go with!?

We all know your main team, Zissou, but give a list of characters you are competent with.

Edit:
Cheap assist options:
Shuma-Gorath
Iron Fist
Arthur
Hsien-ko

Characters which are definitely undervalued (good options):
Haggar
Akuma
Wolverine
Ryu
Firebrand
Thor

Overvalued characters (avoid):
Morrigan
Nova
Sentinel
Skrull
Phoenix

Wolverine + Akuma is a prime choice. If you stick a 1 or 2 point character in there, your opponent has to beat you 4 times.

Zissou

We all know your main team, Zissou, but give a list of characters you are competent with.

List of characters I am reasonably competent with: Doom, Dante, Strider, Taskmaster, Trish, Deadpool, RR, She-hulk, Phoenix, and Storm.

To get the best "bang for your buck" in terms of points, it looks like it's best to have the point value of your team be a multiple of 3. If I play my main team, I only have to get beaten twice to get knocked out. Debating whether to just go with that or try something wacky.

List of characters I am reasonably competent with: Doom, Dante, Strider, Taskmaster, Trish, Deadpool, RR, She-hulk, Phoenix, and Storm.

To get the best "bang for your buck" in terms of points, it looks like it's best to have the point value of your team be a multiple of 3. If I play my main team, I only have to get beaten twice to get knocked out. Debating whether to just go with that or try something wacky.
From your list:
Deadpool/Dante/Strider - 11 points
Trish/Dante/RR - 11 points

Basically, don't pick any of the following from that list:
She-Hulk - she isn't even worth 1 point
Phoenix - waaaay too expensive
Doom - great character, but 6 points is a ton unless you want to pair him up with Deadpool and Trish for a 12 point team

Unless you think you can make 8 points, shoot for 11-12 points. There's no difference between 9 and 12, right?

You could also do:
Taskmaster/Dante/RR - 12 points and sounds pretty sick

Zissou

From your list:
Deadpool/Dante/Strider - 11 points
Trish/Dante/RR - 11 points

Basically, don't pick any of the following from that list:
She-Hulk - she isn't even worth 1 point
Phoenix - waaaay too expensive
Doom - great character, but 6 points is a ton unless you want to pair him up with Deadpool and Trish for a 12 point team

Unless you think you can make 8 points, shoot for 11-12 points. There's no difference between 9 and 12, right?

You could also do:
Taskmaster/Dante/RR - 12 points and sounds pretty sick

Any team from 4 to 6 points means your opponent has to win 5 games, from 7 to 9 means 4 games, 10 to 12 = 3, 13 to 15 = 2, and 16-18 = 1.

Deadpool/Dante/Strider seems tempting (I've played this team a bit casually and enjoy it). I've never used Trish and Dante on the same team, so I really don't know how to use them together even though I can play them individually. Taskmaster is also tempting- higher health will come in handy if people aren't playing their main teams and are less likely to be able to ToD a 1 million+ health character. My secondary team I play most is Trish/Task/Doom, and I like Trish+Task as a pairing, so maybe I could swap out Doom...

Any team from 4 to 6 points means your opponent has to win 5 games, from 7 to 9 means 4 games, 10 to 12 = 3, 13 to 15 = 2, and 16-18 = 1.

Deadpool/Dante/Strider seems tempting (I've played this team a bit casually and enjoy it). I've never used Trish and Dante on the same team, so I really don't know how to use them together even though I can play them individually. Taskmaster is also tempting- higher health will come in handy if people aren't playing their main teams and are less likely to be able to ToD a 1 million+ health character. My secondary team I play most is Trish/Task/Doom, and I like Trish+Task as a pairing, so maybe I could swap out Doom...
You use Jam Session with Trish to get instant overheads. Double jump, fly, air dash in, dive kick + Jam Session, then instant overhead while they're pinned. It's a good combination.

Trish/Task/RR is good.

Dahbomb

Best bang for your buck is any 3 value character like Haggar / Hsien Ko / Vergil.

As long as the first two characters are a combined value of 3-4, the opponent still has to beat you 4 times to get the win (3.6667 to be exact, rounded up). With Dark Vergil in the back it's definitely doable especially when played against other mediocre/shit teams. If anyone picks a really top tier then this team becomes even better because if they pick Morrigan/Doom/Vergil then you need to beat them with Dark Vergil just once!

I don't know if this list is subject to change but this my opinion on it:

Overvalued:

Morrigan - By one point she is overvalued. Although this is not a traditional ratio tournament meaning you can physically pick Morrigan/Doom and then pick a bad character. I would say if ChrisG was in this then Morrigan was undervalued but for most other players at 6 she is overvalued (should be a 5).

Phoenix - Overvalued for everyone except FChamp. Most teams aren't going to be able to make 5 bars.

Wesker - Overvalued at 5, should've been a 4 character. Limited support value and as a point can be beaten even by mediocre characters convincingly.

Tron - Anything above a 2 is over value for her. 3 is just too much. Without any real support value it's difficult to justify that many points for her.

Undervalued:

Dante - 4 is extremely low for him. Top tier assist and solid all around character with excellent anchor capability. Probably one of the highest value characters in the game.

Wolverine and Akuma - 4 for a near top tier point is very low. If that's not enough you also have Akuma at only 3 points which makes the combo of them only 7 points.

Strider - Similar to Dante, 4 for a top tier assist and a top anchor character is a steal IMO.

Haggar - Undervalued at 3, should've at least been a 4. Top tier assist and a solid point character makes him a very valuable pick.

Magneto - Undervalued at 5, is as bit as good as the characters in the 6 tier. He comes with a great assist is an excellent point character and is playable at anchor.

Dormammu - Should've been a 5. Against shit teams he reigns supreme. You can still easily just play Dorm + Doom with a shit point character (like Iron Fist or Haggar) which will demolish most of the crap teams you would play against. This combination would only cost you 12 points and that would basically mean you would have to lose 3 times which is the equivalent of a 3 out of 5 match standard.

Vergil - No matter what type of ratio tournament it is... any player can just pick 2 shit characters and a Dark Vergil yet win any way. Without top tier teams to prevent him doing his stuff, he will reign supreme. In this format even making him 10 wouldn't be enough.

Trish - Undervalued at 3. Can lame out bad teams and can contribute support value to a team.

Firebrand - Undervalued at 3. Putting him in an unblockable team would be really difficult to deal with against most players although you still need a very good Firebrand.

Thor - Undervalued if you can play him properly. Less chance of mauler type characters that he would have difficulty with.

I agree with you on everything besides calling Haggar a shit point character (come on, Ranmasama devastates people with him) and saying Vergil is worth 10 points.

Azoth

Banned
I agree on the Vergil Needs To Be 10+ sentiment.

The problem with Vergil in a Ratio Tournament, is that Vergil, like Phoenix, is not handicapped as much as other characters in a 1v3 situation. Vergil already has a lot of usage, and in things like Ratio Tournaments, experience with a character goes a lot way when you're playing people uncomfortable with their new Ratio Team.

It's entirely true that 1 Point Character + 1 Point Character + 10 Point Vergil would still be a threatening team in this tournament, if the player in question was a high level Vergil player with mediocre knowledge and fundamentals with the two bad characters. Personally, I would probably put him somewhere between 8-10 though; higher than that automatically puts you in the 2 Loss And Out bracket, which is too severe IMO.

The same applies to Phoenix, however. Particularly when dealing with new teams. If phoenix is undervalued, she'd have a strong advantage because the only thing required for someone with phoenix experience is to have their first two characters die slowly.

My main problem with the list is that Sentinel and Dante are the same ratio. That's just silly. Sentinel is overvalued, and Dante is either appropriately valued or mildly undervalued. Really, putting him at a 5 only makes sense if characters like Magneto and Zero and Doom are all at 6. Most of that is true in that list, though.

Personally, I'd love that tournament. Both of my teams are 12-point exactly, so it'd work out pretty well for me.

Just have to keep in mind that the list looks Japanese in origin, which is likely the cause of some of the discrepancies / balance questions you see. Nova, Tron, etc are all somewhat more respected there, due to Nemo/Abegen etc.

Top Bottom